• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SArcher

Banned
The more I think about this episode the more problems I have with it.
Firstly, where was Tommen's Kingsguard when the Mountain just walked into the room and stopped him form going to the trial? And how exactly were Lancel and the Sparrows supposed to bring Cersei to the Sept? They would have had to go up against the Mountain again and we all know how well that worked out for them the last time. And what about the Tyrell army? Did they leave with Olenna? Because if not then wouldn't they, I don't know, try to seize King's Landing while the Lannister army is away? Noone left to give them orders?

Speevy

Banned
It's both, it's an assertion of Northern independence on the basis that House Stark is the rightful ruler of the North.

House Stark can't yield to the crown anymore. Ned is the only person who could have done that. After his death, all Stark titles were no longer recognized.

So I maintain that Jon can't be other than what he is. King in the north sounds cool damn it.

I hope they up Jon's leadership and tactical abilities next season.

She was smiling when they started shouting "King in the North", looked over at Littlefinger who was pissed and scowling in the corner, and then realized an unhappy Littlefinger is bad news and stopped smiling.

I don't think that was it. She was smiling then remembered Littlefinger's words and was either swayed by them or the seeds he planted in her mind started to slowly take hold.

There is interviews where the actors discuss Sansa being jealous and it creating scope for conflict. I think Sansa is going to be tempted by Littlefinger's vision of the future.

Gigglepoo

There's a lot of flaws in this episode (that for the most part go unnoticed) but this is not one of them. GoT passage of time is not linear and defines no clear timelines for events. You saw Dorne ships on that fleet with Dany so it makes sense Varys is with them. It's not like she left the day after Tyrion became hand of the King. In fact, it's ambiguous.

I didn't care about the passage of time (for the reasons you stated). I just thought it was silly that Varys would go all the way from Dorne to Meereen to deliver a message. There are quicker and more efficient ways to say "Come to Dorne!" than going there yourself. It's a minor nitpick, but considering Dany and Varys had never been in the same room (or vehicle) before, it's an especially strange decision.

It's just a weird unforced error by D&D. Nothing was gained by having him on that boat so why make that call?

TheContact

I don't think that was it. She was smiling then remembered Littlefinger's words and was either swayed by them or the seeds he planted in her mind started to slowly take hold.

There is interviews where the actors discuss Sansa being jealous and it creating scope for conflict. I think Sansa is going to be tempted by Littlefinger's vision of the future.

Jon offered her the title and she didn't want it. The jealousy angle at this point would be dumb

Black_Sun

Probably's been discussed but who's the Night King? I refuse to think that's some random guy like the show want us make to believe, could it be a Targaeryan too?

Well if it's not a title but the same person then it should be a Stark that was brother to the King in the North

But GRRM has said he's not in the books just a legendary figure that existed thousands of years ago so at this point they could make it whoever they want it to be

Kallor

Yeah she even mentions that Sansa thinks Jon is naive. Which is fuckin' hilarious coming from Sansa whose already falling for Littlefingers game.

IF Jon was smart he'd sleep with his Direwolf by his side going forward. More than likely he'll chain it up in the woods 15 miles from him instead.

mantidor

Yeah she even mentions that Sansa thinks Jon is naive. Which is fuckin' hilarious coming from Sansa whose already falling for Littlefingers game.

IF Jon was smart he'd sleep with his Direwolf by his side going forward. More than likely he'll chain it up in the woods 15 miles from him instead.

Jon is absolutely far, far more naive than Sansa.

And when was she falling for LF's game?

Jon offered her the title and she didn't want it. The jealousy angle at this point would be dumb

Nope, he didn't offer her any title. They had some back and forth about how he is a Stark to her, but that wasn't exactly meant to give free reign for him to become King of the North.

Brakke

Banned
What's dumb about it? It's an immunity 'caused by either MMD's spell or the sacrifice she made for a magical event to happen (birth of dragons and protecting her from death)

Because just make her fire immune. People are always confused about it, and things you have to answer in interviews because they're unclear in the text are dumb. CloudWolf on the last page cited GRR claiming he's not doing Deus Exes, but Dany surviving a raging pyre by a one-time, totally unanticipatable and unreproducable miracle is a Deus Ex.

NoTacos

Jon is absolutely far, far more naive than Sansa.

And when was she falling for LF's game?
Jon is supposed to be a bit naive at this point, I mean hell the guy was killed and brought back to life and is still trying to adjust.

The important thing is he'll surround himself with enough wisemen and women to rule correctly. With Sansa and Danerys at his side, with Tyrion, he'll be just fine.

Black_Sun

Because just make her fire immune. People are always confused about it, and things you have to answer in interviews because they're unclear in the text are dumb. CloudWolf on the last page cited GRR claiming he's not doing Deus Exes, but Dany surviving a raging pyre by a one-time, totally unanticipatable and unreproducable miracle is a Deus Ex.

But that's no more Deus Ex Machina than Dany getting dragons

Exactly...so we agree. I guess I misunderstood your earlier post.

My objection to the scene is that it makes no sense that Jon is the proclaimed the head of House Stark when he isn't a Stark, while there is a perfectly viable Stark sitting next to him who by the way won the battle against the Boltons by bringing in reinforcements from an alliance she made.

I've just been watching clips and snippets of last night's episode from YouTube. Even with very little context, I thought the lead-up to the explosion of the Sept was handled beautifully, mostly due to the amazing music. The sense of build-up and slow realisation was fantastic.

Brakke

Banned
But that's no more Deus Ex Machina than Dany getting dragons

For sure it is. Getting dragons changes her status quo. Surviving a pyre that should've killed her, and which will (could?) kill her if she tries it again doesn't change the status quo. Ongoing magic (here in the form of dragon taming) is a character trait but fleeting intercessionary magic is cheap.

But now we're just talking about the book.

Dany's journey will probably have her talking with Varys and Tyrion to learn more about Westeros history and her family. And suddenly Rhaegar and the spark the started the war will be hammered into the audience well and good just before it becomes important.

I see what u did thar. Hardcore. Rhaegar and "hammered" in the same sentence. Too soon?

Joni

My objection to the scene is that it makes no sense that Jon is the proclaimed the head of House Stark when he isn't a Stark, while there is a perfectly viable Stark sitting next to him who by the way won the battle against the Boltons by bringing in reinforcements from an alliance she made.
He is the older boy. He is a bastard but one that was raised at Winterfell with Ned. It wouldn't be strange for these people to consider him more suited than the girl that was married to a Lannister and a Bolton, and that sat on the sideline in the fight.

Speevy

Banned
I think the statement the writers are trying to make is that even to Sansa who has learned not to trust Littlefinger, the allure of power is there.

She has power, but what will she do with it? Will she freely give it away? Will she use it to help those she cares about? Will she use it to enrich herself?

These are the lingering questions that will decide where Sansa rises or falls in the story. It's also the same proposition Baelish gave Ned Stark.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You see that look of jealousy she gave LF at the end there? Dudes already planted the seeds lol.

It was intentionally ambiguous whether that was the "oh shit LF is pissed" look or a conspiratorial one.

Speevy

Banned
In the show, how many Westerosi armies have never done battle, either on screen or off?

I know the Dornish haven't pledged soldiers anywhere.

Considering her past I think Sansa will probably always be somewhat motivated to secure power for herself in order to ensure her own security. Power in order to 'not be a pawn', I guess. But she also seems detached enough from the game to have some view of the bigger picture, which should make her a better player. It makes sense, because she was basically thrown into the game against her will. This is unlike Cersei, who is constantly hurting herself just to ensure she has a seat at the table.

Brakke

Banned
Only Dorne. They're the smallest of the seven though.

The seven *what*. There were nine great houses in Westeros when Robert's Rebellion began. There are eight at the start of the show if we count Targaryen as dead. Stark, Greyjoy, Tully, Arryn, Lannister, Baratheon, Tyrell, Martell.

ryseing

The seven *what*. There were nine great houses in Westeros when Robert's Rebellion began. There are eight at the start of the show if we count Targaryen as dead. Stark, Greyjoy, Tully, Arryn, Lannister, Baratheon, Tyrell, Martell.

Kingdoms.

And they always overestimate their strength to outsiders. The Reach probably still has more soldiers even after all of the battles.

NoTacos

Hold up, did we see Arya in faceless woman mode earlier in the episode??

I'm talking the initial Frey-Lannister feast where the first table wench started eyeing Jamie. Was that her?

thequestion

Are Varys and Little Finger in communication with each other? I need to re watch the early seasons.... I still see Little Finger sitting on the iron throne, once the dust has settled. He's playing the game the best. Even when loses, he stills wins. (Sansa going over to the Boltens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom