• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
Has anybody told Dany about the WWs? Tyrion maybe? Does she have any clue what's waiting for her in Westeros other than a bunch of once great houses laid low by years of infighting?

Qurupeke

Why are so many people questioning what conflict Dany will face when it seems right now she is invincible? It's obvious that it's the White Walkers isn't it? When she comes, Westeros is gonna be rekt or in the process of getting rekt. She'll most likely die to be honest. Politics are a distraction from the real enemy.

Nah. Joras will save her on time with his army of Stone Men.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I can't wait for the WW to capture Littlefinger and shove an obsidian shard into his chest to turn him into the new Nights King.

jerry113

Banned
Did I miss something with the kid luring the sparrow to the wildfire?

It seemed like a careful thought out part of the plan, making sure to be seen, taking him right to the stuff, stabbing him in a way to immobilize his legs but not kill him.
All that effort to... rub it in?

I think Lancel by happenstance came across that kid (who he recognized as probably being one of the "little birds), and the kid had to improvise by luring him into a dark tunnel and stabbing him.

Ultimately the writers needed an eye witness POV of the wildfire getting lit, and to do that they needed to do something a little silly.

Why'd Pycelle get killed? Cuz Qyburn don't like him?

Pycelle was an enemy of Cersei's and she did not want him challenging her regency after her coup. And in light of Tommen's suicide Pycelle most definitely would've objected to Cersei's coronation. As as a Maester Pycelle's knowledge of succession laws, tradition, and past history could've been used to undermine Cersei.

How is Pycelle her enemy though? She could look at Pycelle and he'd lick her boots out of fear. Not that I'm not glad he's dead, because he has been annoying me since day 1.

You don't remember her elevating Qyburn to his current status in to the Red Keep and giving him access to Pycelle's lab and undermining his position as Maester at every turn? Cersei hated Pycelle. She made him an enemy.

CloudWolf

You don't remember her elevating Qyburn to his current status in to the Red Keep and giving him access to Pycelle's lab and undermining his position as Maester at every turn? Cercei hated Pycelle. She made him an enemy.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I've recently rewatched seasons 1-3 where he was Cersei's little slave and I kinda forgot what happened with him in season 4 and 5.

Tuffty

And the Martells are dead, too. The Maesters are going to be busy writing new books about the Great Houses after the show is done.

Very true. You could even say the Lannisters also have no heirs and would be fit to go unless Cersei and Jaime start getting freaky on the Iron Throne.

Burt

I don't think this is all that likely, but did Qyburn zombify the kids? It was dark, but it looked like some of them were a little beat up and stretching the natural extent of paleness. Plus they went from regular little "Oi, guv, gimme da sweets and oi'll tell ya 'bout me pops!" gutter kids to an army of silent knife-wielding child murderers. Was that candy Qyburn gave them last time poisoned maybe?

LifEndz

Harrold Hardyng for instance is taking his grandmother's family name when he becomes Harrold Arryn and Lord Paramount of the Vale

Thanks. I just started my reread of the series and I'm on Feast and don't recall that character. Guessing he's in Dance. Not sure why any bastard that knew who his mother is wouldn't just chose her surname if that's an option.

Hazmat

i think in the first season robert pretty clearly stated that lyanna was raped by rhaegar, so he really is the only candidate. but i don't think it would be reasonable to expect someone who has not read the books to even remember who rhaegar was.

I could be wrong, but I just rewatched season 1 and I don't think he ever explicitly says that she was raped. He makes it clear that he abducted her, as does Bran later in the season. My expectation for GRRM putting a twist on the Tower of Joy is that Lyanna was happy with Rhaegar and loved him. Possibly that they were married (some Targs, maybe just Aegon, took multiple wives, right?), making Jon the rightful king when Dayne and the Kingsguard defend him.

They really should have been more explicit for casual viewers. Simply not splitting Ned and company fighting the Kingsguard and the Jon reveal by like 8 episodes would have probably done it.

jerry113

Banned
looking at the show thread, many did not completely understand it

should have had Bran like:
3053154-1630525227-2JrU4.gif

"So Jon is the baby of Dany's brother and aunty Lyanna, not my fathers"

Meh they spelled it out pretty well. The cutaway from the baby's face to adult Jon Targ's face should've cemented it for anyone who has followed the show all the way through 6 seasons.

The show doesn't need to dumb itself down any further to cater to people who are stuck on their phones half of each episode.

How is Pycelle her enemy though? She could look at Pycelle and he'd lick her boots out of fear. Not that I'm not glad he's dead, because he has been annoying me since day 1.

I assume its because Pycelle was around back in the old days and might know about the Wildfire. Got to take him out so know else has the knowledge she's using to keep the city hostage.

_Ryo_

How will the White Walkers beat the dragons?

By turning them into White Dragons?

Fire doesn't kill White Walkers, it kills Whights and while dragons have a lot to do with Valyria and Magic and Valryian swords and such can kill white walkers its not known yet if the dragons themselves can. It's just assumed because of their relations to magic.

Also I expect the white walkers to win. I dont expect that their true goal is to kill or enslave all humans.

Black_Sun

Thanks. I just started my reread of the series and I'm on Feast and don't recall that character. Guessing he's in Dance. Not sure why any bastard that knew who his mother is wouldn't just chose her surname if that's an option.

He's mentioned a lot in Sansa's chapters of AFFC but he doesn't make an actual appearance until TWOW Sansa sample chapter

CloudWolf

By turning them into White Dragons?

Fire doesn't kill White Walkers, it kills Whights and while dragons have a lot to do with Valyria and Magic and Valryian swords and such can kill white walkers its not known yet if the dragons themselves can. It's just assumed because of their relations to magic.

Also I expect the white walkers to win. I dont expect that their true goal is to kill or enslave all humans.

White walkers can actually be killed by a bunch of different stuff. So far we have seen them get killed by Valyrian steel sword and Dragonglass daggers and spears. The thing that those two have in common is that both are rumored to have been created using dragonfire. Also, dragonfire is quite a bit different than normal fire. It burns hotter and is infused with magic. Based on this I think it's pretty safe to say that White Walkers will probably die when hit with dragonfire.

Moff

Why is Jon King? He’s not the heir, Sansa is–or rather, Bran is, and Theon confessed that Bran’s not dead. But even granting that they don’t know where Bran is and might think he died some other way since, this still doesn’t work. How did Jon earn this? He screwed up last episode, and proved a mediocre leader at best. Sansa’s the one who saved the day. And again, she’s the heir. You can’t just handwave that away, show; you can’t have Jon’s bastardy be crucial to his character and then pretend it’s no roadblock at all. You can’t just have your endgame in mind and fail to support it; that prevents me from feeling the things you want me to feel. Especially when you give Sansa no reason to be on board with this–what, she’s trying to mess with Littlefinger’s plans? Couldn’t she just become Queen and…reject his plan?

Jon is king because he is the man with the plan to fight the others, that's what he was brought back for, what he brought the wildlings for, what he united the north for, that's why the north chose him.
It's true that Sansa would have been the true heir to Winterfell if nothing ever happened, but a lot happened. The north was taken away from the Starks. Just like the 7 kingdoms were taken away from the Targaryens.
Dany would be the true heir, but no one cares, she has to take it back again, just like the Starks have to take back the north, just like Jon took back and united the north.
And he didn't even want it, he offered it to Sansa and she did not want it either. The north chose Jon because he united the north, because he took the task upon himself to fight the white walkers. That's why he was chosen, why he has earned it to be chosen.

You are probably refering to the lack of Robbs will, but no one cares about a silly piece of paper, just like no one cared that Robert named Ned protector of the realm. In the end, power lies where people believe it lies, and in the north, the people believe in Jon Snow, and this season has sold that perfectly.

Marz

I know They're going to have Jaime disgusted with Cersei next season and continue his redemption arc, but I would almost rather him turn heel and say fuck it just go all out evil.

rashbeep

Banned
Jon is king because he is the man with the plan to fight the others, that's what he was brought back for, what he brought the wildlings for, what he united the north for, that's why the north chose him.
It's true that Sansa would have been the true heir to Winterfell if nothing ever happened, but a lot happened. The north was taken away from the Starks. Just like the 7 kingdoms were taken away from the Targaryens.
Dany would be the true heir, but no one cares, she has to take it back again, just like the Starks have to take back the north, just like Jon took back and united the north.
And he didn't even want it, he offered it to Sansa and she did not want it either. The north chose Jon because he united the north, because he took the task upon himself to fight the white walkers. That's why he was chosen, why he has earned it to be chosen.

You are probably refering to the lack of Robbs will, but no one cares about a silly piece of paper, just like no one cared that Robert named Ned protector of the realm. In the end, power lies where people believe it lies, and in the north, the people believe in Jon Snow, and this season has sold that perfectly.

Exactly.

Kevan and him were standing next to Tommen when he gave the command that there would be no more trials by combat. He was giving Tommen bad council in her eyes. She didn't expect Tommen to kill himself and she wanted to be his only council.

Plus he was a constant asshole to Qyburn.

hoos30

Did I miss something with the kid luring the sparrow to the wildfire?

It seemed like a careful thought out part of the plan, making sure to be seen, taking him right to the stuff, stabbing him in a way to immobilize his legs but not kill him.
All that effort to... rub it in?

So that we (the audience) could see it.

dabig2

So when did the North start believing in white walkers again? Even here they were mostly worried about the wildlings and Jon might as well been speaking in parables at that meeting because he never cleanly stated "undead zombies are going to fuck us all up fam". Even Lyanna's stirring speech is centered around how the Red Wedding sucked and the Boltons suck and that the North sucks by proxy for not supporting the Starks against them earlier and less "we gotta support them against ice zombies fam".

mantidor

I wonder if the dragons get their own ships or if they are meant to have infinite stamina. I mean can a ship even hold Drogon? Maybe the other ones that are smaller but Drogon is huge at this point.

Moff

I wonder if the dragons get their own ships or if they are meant to have infinite stamina. I mean can a ship even hold Drogon? Maybe the other ones that are smaller but Drogon is huge at this point.

I thought the same
but I am sure they can just relax in the water

XAL

Infinite stamina.

Varys teleported to Dorne and back to Mereen in the same episode sooo lol

mantidor

Infinite stamina.

But that is explained, Martell and Tyrell ships are in the armada, so obviously some time has passed.

I'm going with them resting on water being possible somehow. They fly so they are already defying the laws of physics :p and I guess they'll have a diet of sharks and whales or something.

Why do you guys care so much about logistics like whether or not the dragons have infinite stamina?

The off-season is already starting to be unbearable. :p

euron (cont): Go back to your homes. Grab every seed you can find, pick up your shovels and watering cans and start planting. I want every man digging holes, I want every woman putting seeds in those holes and covering them with dirt. Grow me 100,000 trees, and I will give you lumber to build me 1000 ships... and I will give you this world!

Last shot of the entire series is Euron building a greenhouse long after the danger has passed.

So I imagine odds are very favorable on Dany destroying the Lannister forces when she arrives at Kings Landing, Cersei going Mad Queen & burning the entire city down and Jaime killing Cersei to fulfill the prophecy?

I will be fucking pissed.

Cersi this episode though...Cold & ruthless. I loved it.

Moff

Infinite stamina.

I just rewatched S01E01 and there King Robert and his whole entourage travel from King's Landing to Winterfell in literally 10 Minutes of the same episode, it's hard to believe people have still troubles about this kind of narrative in the finale of the sixth season.

Brakke

Banned
I'm pretty sure you would naturally stay close to the coastline when sailing from Meereen to Westeros. The shortest path is to sail straight West along the southern coast of Essos.

I wonder if they take the fleet through Valyria tho. Seems like something Dany would want to do, especially with dragons in tow, but the rest of the fleet might not dig it. Maybe she makes an airborne detour?

Of course, the ruins of Valyria didn't seem all that bad when Tyrion passed through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom