• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

I'd love any new music added to this show. The main themes are great, but on a show with the biggest budget ever, shouldn't there be more music?

There definitely should be. The only existing themes that annoy me are the Sons of the Harpy theme (way too overdramatic for those goofballs), and the Dorne twangy guitar theme. Fuck off with that.

The House of Black and White theme, while technically an evolution of Jaqen's season 2 theme, is amazing though.

Iksenpets

Banned
There definitely should be. The only existing themes that annoy me are the Sons of the Harpy theme (way too overdramatic for those goofballs), and the Dorne twangy guitar theme. Fuck off with that.

The House of Black and White theme, while technically an evolution of Jaqen's season 2 theme, is amazing though.

Going light on the music always felt like a conscious choice on their part to me, like they were scared of being "too fantasy" with any sort of music that people could even think of referring to as "sweeping" or "epic". They do a lot with a little though. I never catch even half of the little leitmotif things they work in with the music.

I totally agree on the Dornish guitar theme though. Feels so out of place, even in already out-of-place Dornish scenes.

Paganmoon

SeptaUnella.gif

Edit: Double post? Step aside, Speevy.

uGNBekL.gif

Speevy

Banned
I just thought of something.

Do you guys think the death of Doran was to give the show an excuse not to send anyone back to Dorne to take revenge?

It seems to fit, what with
the Rivverrun siege.

I'll bet there is a scene in which Cersei is made aware of Doran's death, and says something like "Well it looks like the Martells have taken care of themselves."

mantidor

Speaking of which, what are we now? Book watchers? Show readers?

Septa Unella is hilarious btw

We've always been mixed, as much as spoiler policy here and elsewhere has been pretty rad book stuff has always spilled to non book readers. For instance the bloodstain theory talks about Azhor ahai (as far as I remember) when he has never been mentioned explicitly on the show, only lightbringer and "the warrior of light", and for such a brief time no one should think they are of any importance.

I just thought of something.

Do you guys think the death of Doran was to give the show an excuse not to send anyone back to Dorne to take revenge?

It seems to fit, what with
the Rivverrun siege.

I'll bet there is a scene in which Cersei is made aware of Doran's death, and says something like "Well it looks like the Martells have taken care of themselves."
Pretty much, it's a write out of that plot line.

Gigglepoo

Wait, so Jamie's "Fuck everyone!" speech and Cersei vowing revenge would lead to nothing? They would just be appeased? I mean, I wouldn't put it past D&D, but it doesn't make any sense.

Speevy

Banned
Wait, so Jamie's "Fuck everyone!" scene and Cersei vowing revenge would lead to nothing? They would just be appeased? I mean, I wouldn't put it past D&D, but it doesn't make any sense.

Well yeah, I'll bet it goes like this and I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong. This is just Jaime's plotline.

Jaime threatens the high sparrow, sparrow has dudes to protect him, Jaime enlists the Tyrells, faith reveals that they have converted Margaery, civil war happens in King's Landing, Cersei hears of the Tullys, suspects Sansa is involved, sends Jaime along with the Lannister army to Riverrun. What would be the point of having the Lannisters involved in Dorne?

What isn't connecting for me is how the faith/crown plot goes down. If Tommen dies, where does that leave Margaery and Loras? Will the parentage of Cersei's children be revealed?

Gigglepoo

Jaime threatens the high sparrow,

Is that what you think or what you know? Because... ugh. That's just not Jamie's character at all. Also, does he find out about Lancel? Because that would finally be the impetus for him to leave Cersei. He needs to leave Cercei!

What isn't connecting for me is how the faith/crown plot goes down. If Tommen dies, where does that leave Margaery and Loras? Will the parentage of Cersei's children be revealed?

I honestly think that fAegon will sit the Iron Throne in the books. I have no clue what's going to happen with Tommen dies in the show. None. I wouldn't be shocked if Cercei is the one who sits the throne, though, until Tyrion kills her.

Oh, and Loras will die. I think? Though I do think Margaery will align with the faith so I don't know how those two plot developments will make sense.

Apt101

For some reason discussing the official lore from the show, aired on HBO and included in the blurays, is spoiler territory in many places. Even here in the non-book thread. Never understood that.

Anyways, when I first rewatched the death scene I was reminded of a sword being raised - but it also kind of looked like a tower to me.

So, Jamie just vacillates between solving disputes reasonably and threatening wildly depending on what the writers want? Awesome!

In the show he has been an erratic murderer, often audaciously threatening his enemies. Sure, he settled down a bit for a while, but I don't find it out of the question that he'd fall back to his old ways after his daughter was murdered and some asshole decides to lecture him right next to her corpse.

Kozak

Banned
The problem with show Jaime is that it doesn't even seem like he cares about his children, that he'd rather a life of solitude with Cersei's pussy.

Apt101

The problem with show Jaime is that it doesn't even seem like he cares about his children, that he'd rather a life of solitude with Cersei's pussy.

Yea, he seems to be largely indifferent to them until the plot calls for some kind of compassionate reaction. If we really want to delve into such a shallow character, the case can be made that he acts like this because he knows he needs to keep it a secret and because his oaths prevent him from truly engaging in any of the politics. So he's grown isolated from and depressed about his family on two fronts. Easier to be the villain everyone considers you are than a caring father who inserts himself into affairs he couldn't without arising even more suspicion. He also isn't one to carouse with whores so he never became a womanizer who could direct his negative energies elsewhere - like many men with his natural gifts would have (especially in ASoIaF).

Forkball

They also didn't do a scene with the White Book, which is one of his best chapters in the entire series.

THE WHITE BOOK

Apt101

Currently watching the episode in the background. When Brienne shows up: "Seven blessings ma' fuckers. I'm Big B out Tarth and this is my homeboy Podrick Payne". Commence bass track.

Show Jaime is an inconsistent mess of a character at this point. D&D prefer the child killing, sister raping 'badboy' Lannister of their own creation than attempting to adapt a character who is on a different trajectory in the books. The flip floping of taking Jaime part way down his redemptive path, only to hit the reset button has really weakened his character on the show.

Forkball

They did, kind of. Joffrey is reading from it and contrasts Jaime to Ser Arthur Dayne. Or was that some other book?
I'm talking about when he writes down his "deeds" in the book. I thought Joffrey's insults were a set up for that but no, let's go to Dorne.

Henkka

Banned
They also didn't do a scene with the White Book, which is one of his best chapters in the entire series.

THE WHITE BOOK

They kind of did, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBb15PQn-gQ

It just all went to shit when they shipped him off to Dorne. I've no idea what his arc is supposed to be now.

edit: In addition, it's really hard to adapt book chapters where the character is alone with his thoughts, writing in a book. We can't hear what he's thinking, so I'm okay with the way they did it. I've no idea why he doesn't start separating from Cersei in the show, though. Really wasted character development there.

jdstorm

Banned
They kind of did, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBb15PQn-gQ

It just all went to shit when they shipped him off to Dorne. I've no idea what his arc is supposed to be now.

edit: In addition, it's really hard to adapt book chapters where the character is alone with his thoughts, writing in a book. We can't hear what he's thinking, so I'm okay with the way they did it. I've no idea why he doesn't start separating from Cersei in the show, though. Really wasted character development there.

If I'm remembering correctly that chapter also contained Jamie yelling at Cersi's Kingsguard for being Shit and Trying to mentor Loras Tyrell. Those parts could have been adapted effectively.

Either way it's irrelevant. Show Jamie is completely removed from book Jamie at this point.
Also in hindsight
It would have been much better if Jamie was the Kingsguard knight that had an affair with Arianne Martell (sorry about the spelling) and have her act as the sir Illian who teaches him how to fight. There would have been something bittersweet about Jamie falling in love with the woman he was origionally supposed to marry. Only to have it all torn apart by war/sand snake BS. That would be very GoT

Also I'm convinced that the current kings landing arc is going to end with Cersi and Margery having a trial by combat to settle the score of who is telling the faith the truth. With Robert Strong fighting for Cersi and Loras fighting for Margery. It's a great way to get Loras out of the picture without boiling him in oil like the books

ruxtpin

Banned

THE WHITE BOOK

Heh - I'm picturing a scene with Jamie alone his room now, writing in his diary and speaking to no one...

"Dear Diary, I was supposed to write in my white book for knight class, but I couldn't think of anything good. All my pages are still blank and I might fail the assignment if I don't think of something soon. PS - I think I'm hot for Brienne. Xoxo, Jamie"

It would be a fantastic exposition method!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom