• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Banned

1461587741894.jpg

You know for a MASTER PLAN to work you actually have to do something. Marry Arianne to Viserys, good idea! Maybe you should tell Viserys about it or send him some counsel or something to steer him towards you. Viserys dies.

Marry Quentyn to Dany, ok decent fallback idea. She is all the way in Meereen perhaps you could give your son a ship and a decent number of competent men. Oh he is hitch hiking with sell swords, huh.

But another Targ shows up that Doran didn't know about.

Marry Arianne to fAegon. Ok this is getting desperate...

So really is a plan actually didn't involve him doing anything apart from sitting around doing nothing. That is how I plan as well so I have some sympathy.

bengraven

Super spoiler 360

Ramsay's heard in the trailer saying "Do you like games little man?" plus more than one extra has said Ramsay shoots down Rickon with an arrow before the battle of the bastards.

Really hope this isn't what we're led to believe because at this point the suffering
of the Starks
is almost comedic.

_Ryo_

Okay, I know the sand snakes on the boat is a tired argument by now but I have a question I don't think has been brought up yet.

If the Sand Snakes were planning on killing Trystane on the boat, why did Ellaria kiss Princess Marcella with poison? I mean, if you're on the ship already, you could kill both at once. Also why did they not kill Jamie, if they want a war ?

kirblar

Okay, I know the sand snakes on the boat is a tired argument by now but I have a question I don't think has been brought up yet.

If the Sand Snakes were planning on killing Trystane on the boat, why did Ellaria kiss Princess Marcella with poison? I mean, if you're on the ship already, you could kill both at once. Also why did they not kill Jamie, if they want a war ?
Because this was probably a hasty rewrite to get Dorne out of the way earlier than planned after it didn't work last season.

Faddy

Banned

Maybe she planned to give Trystane a kiss goodbye as well but he noped out of there

I see the shitty book comparison images are being broken out again.

I've never seen one of those that was anything other than disingenuous, unrepresentative bullshit.

Sean C

Because this was probably a hasty rewrite to get Dorne out of the way earlier than planned after it didn't work last season.
I don't think this was hasty. This was always the plan (it's not like there would have been more story set in Dorne anyway), it's just crappy planning.

Sean C

Looking over reactions from unspoiled people, I think that
Theon returning to the Iron Islands (which he'll probably decide to do this next episode) is going to catch a lot of people off-guard. After the show made such a season-long big deal of reuniting him and Sansa and talking about how the Starks were Theon's real family (which was not the thematic point of the book arc), having him suddenly bugger off to Greyjoy business will be quite a swerve.

Disgraced

I for one am enjoying all the posts about Jon's blood in the no-spoilers thread.
People have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for show clues.
Just checked and it's kind of adorable.
You book-nerds think you're soooo smart. You and yer R + whatever = whatever theories and Cleganeballs. Guess what? I thinked hard enough and I've already figured out the whole story. All my predickerchuns are coming true. And I didn't need to do math or read. HAHAHA, what a waste of time that would've been.

Some guy that has been sort of reliable before says he knows what happens in the opening of episode 2:

"I don't know about the reliability of his sources, but this what he says. He starts saying he only knows about the opening scene. It opens with Bran having a vision of Winterfell.
Bran sees a young Benjen and Ned sparring in the courtyard of Winterfell.

Lyanna as she watches asks Benjen who he'll spar with once Ned leaves for the Eyrie. Benjen suggests that he could spar with a large boy who is there watching as well (named "Willis", but the boy is obviously Hodor, I don't know if the rename is just in the Spanish version or not).

Hodor wants to join them, but is reproached by a woman who is standing near by since he's not noble. Benjen tells him that with his size he cold become a great knight. At this point the Three Eyed Raven interrupts and pulls Bran out of the vision, saying it was dangerous to continue. He says that everyone likes to view the depths of the sea, but that if we look too long we'll drown. Bran is fairly angry since he was at "Home". The Three Eyed Raven says that a great war is coming and that they must prepare.

At that point Bran sees Hodor and says, "I've seen you speak, what happened to you?". Hodor, to the shock of everyone, says, "Hodor". Meera is seen speaking with Leaf. She is somewhat distraught, feeling useless as Bran is training and she hasn't much to do.

At that point it transitions to the wall, where Thorne and co are preparing to break into the room holding Jon's corpse, and that's as much as he knows."

Kain

I dont want to know what happened to Hodor :(

btw I've finished the three Dunk&Egg books and I got all giddy when at last Bloodraven appears. He doesn't do much, but it's the first and only time he does something in the books after being present throughout everything. I hope he is as crucial as he seems, because he is like the coolest character ever.

Well last time until ADWD, that is, but he just grows roots there.

Moff

I recently read that starting with last year, to counter piracy HBO has made deals with over 170 tv channels worldwide to air game of thrones shortly after it's us release. even a small french channel in my country airs it 22 hours after us release. that is extremely uncommon.

anway, with all those people all around the world who need to translate the scripts, we can expect leaks like that for every episode in the future.

I dont want to know what happened to Hodor :(

btw I've finished the three Dunk&Egg books and I got all giddy when at last Bloodraven appears. He doesn't do much, but it's the first and only time he does something in the books after being present throughout everything. I hope he is as crucial as he seems, because he is like the coolest character ever.

Well last time until ADWD, that is, but he just grows roots there.

I started reading them back in February and it ended up taking me a month to read them, really frustrating for how short they were, I have way too many distractions. But yeah it was a good read that I should've done sooner.

It kind of sucks they put no effort into making the show version resemble the book version, even if just a little
if the image they've released
is how he always looks

what if benjen and lyanna did something else that hodor may have seen and made him lose his mind?

Does Wozzly post here?

Pluto

I'm okay with [end of season spoilers]
Ramsay killing Rickon because I really want Sansa to become queen in the north and that can't happen with male Starks being around. Bran is going to become a tree and is out of the picture but Rickon returning would displace Sansa as the Stark heir.

Thematically Sansa makes the most sense as the Stark heir, at the start of the story she wanted nothing more than to get out of the north and be a princess in the south, her realizing what her home and her family really meant to her and having her be the one to rule the north and restore the Starks as the royal family after hundreds of years and Robb's failure would be a great end to her story. Rickon riding out of a cave on Shaggydog would be really anticlimactic, I hope that doesn't happen.

But what didn't work were Ellaria and the stupid Sand Snakes, so why not kill them then? Doran, Trystane and Hotah were not the problem.

Kain

But what didn't work were Ellaria and the stupid Sand Snakes, so why not kill them then? Doran, Trystane and Hotah were not the problem.

Because for some reason D&D think Ellaria is important and the SS are cool. My theory is that they get wasted whenever they have to write something of Dorne.

Timbuktu

Because for some reason D&D think Ellaria is important and the SS are cool. My theory is that they get wasted whenever they have to write something of Dorne.

It's easier to get them out of the Dorne setting whereas Doran actually needed them to make Dorne a proper kingdom with its own people and culture. It's pretty easy to slip Sand Snakes here and there as plot devices without going beyond the 'revenge' angle.

Pluto

BTW, I watched Linda's review of the new episode, she's doing them alone this year because Elio is not watching and it was pretty good. She was calm and pointed out what she didn't like without getting nasty, I actually liked it.

NeoGiff

BTW, I watched Linda's review of the new episode, she's doing them alone this year because Elio is not watching and it was pretty good. She was calm and pointed out what she didn't like without getting nasty, I actually liked it.

Astonishingly, this is true, aside from her usual ridiculous hatred of Lena Headey and similar complaints.

mantidor

Thematically Sansa makes the most sense as the Stark heir, at the start of the story she wanted nothing more than to get out of the north and be a princess in the south, her realizing what her home and her family really meant to her and having her be the one to rule the north and restore the Starks as the royal family after hundreds of years and Robb's failure would be a great end to her story. Rickon riding out of a cave on Shaggydog would be really anticlimactic, I hope that doesn't happen.

Someone on Reddit mentioned that we might be going into a "war of the five Queens" kind of scenario. Cercei, Margaery/Oleena, Dany, Yara and Sansa, (and I guess Ellaria... Urrrgh). It's kind of interesting if the path to get there wasn't so damn messy.

_Ryo_

To further expand on my previous question and to make it a bit more clear, here is a longer version of it.

As to my question

First the setup.

Ellaria gave Princess Marcella a poison kiss while they were still on land in Dorne, right?

Why did she do that if the Sand Snakes had planned to board the boat regardless? They could have killed Trystane as well as Marcella at once, on the boat.

Your response might be "Because the princess is dead, their guard is down. " In which I would reply

But that shouldn't be true, if your daughter dies in your arms, your guard is going to be up. You will suspect anything and anyone that seems suspicious.

Another response might be "They didn't have enough man power to take on both Trystane and Marcella, plus they'd have to deal with Jamie and Bronn"

That shouldn't be true either, as didn't they setup just last season that Jaime and Bronn were not capable at defending themselves against a couple of Sand Snakes, where in to the point where Bronn got poisoned.

Which further adds to my question.

Bronn is recovering from being poisoned, and Jamie is still not all that great at fighting with his left hand yet, which means that the only person to worry about would be Trystaine, right? And this episode proves that they could handle him on their own.

Not to mention they could have just gotten into their room while they were snogging, caught them totally unawares and dispatched both of them at once.

One further question. Were they on the boat the same time as Jaime? If their goal is to insight a war, why not kill one of them most important people from King's Landing?

Again, yes, there is Bronn to consider, but again, he's in a weakened state. Also, they could have just waited for him to go into a separate chamber if they've been hiding out on the boat for a while.

As for how they got on the boat, it doesn't really matter. The question is why would they poison the princess if they were already planning to board the boat to kill Trystaine?

To further expand on my previous question and to make it a bit more clear, here is a longer version of it.

As to my question

First the setup.

Ellaria gave Princess Marcella a poison kiss while they were still on land in Dorne, right?

Why did she do that if the Sand Snakes had planned to board the boat regardless? They could have killed Trystane as well as Marcella at once, on the boat.

Your response might be "Because the princess is dead, their guard is down. " In which I would reply

But that shouldn't be true, if your daughter dies in your arms, your guard is going to be up. You will suspect anything and anyone that seems suspicious.

Another response might be "They didn't have enough man power to take on both Trystane and Marcella, plus they'd have to deal with Jamie and Bronn"

That shouldn't be true either, as didn't they setup just last season that Jaime and Bronn were not capable at defending themselves against a couple of Sand Snakes, where in to the point where Bronn got poisoned.

Which further adds to my question.

Bronn is recovering from being poisoned, and Jamie is still not all that great at fighting with his left hand yet, which means that the only person to worry about would be Trystaine, right? And this episode proves that they could handle him on their own.

Not to mention they could have just gotten into their room while they were snogging, caught them totally unawares and dispatched both of them at once.

One further question. Were they on the boat the same time as Jaime? If their goal is to insight a war, why not kill one of them most important people from King's Landing?

Again, yes, there is Bronn to consider, but again, he's in a weakened state. Also, they could have just waited for him to go into a separate chamber if they've been hiding out on the boat for a while.

As for how they got on the boat, it doesn't really matter. The question is why would they poison the princess if they were already planning to board the boat to kill Trystaine?

The fundamental difference between Trystane and Myrcella is that Trystane and the Sand Snakes are cousins.

The Sand Snakes don't need subterfuge or to fight guards to get alone in a room with Trystane. Since they were raised together, he & his guards will just let them walk in.

Whereas with Myrcella, she is guarded by the Kingsguard, plus Lannister guards, plus Jamie Lannister. They are not going to let them be alone with her. That's why they needed the poison.

ii. They were not on the boat the same time as Jaime. They already knew that they were going to King's Landing, so what they did was sometime after the Lannisters left, they took a separate boat to King's Landing. Then, they went looking for Trystane. When they figured out he was still on the Dornish boat, they went there to kill him.

iii. They're also most like planning to take Trytane's seat on the small council, which is another reason why they would have needed to travel to King's Landing.

In the books, one of them sits on the small council, while the other infiltrates the church.

Ishan

Rewatching the ep and Im starting to believe that blood theory in the other thread hahah
It makes sense Well not sure if the Dragon or azor variant but that blood isn't there for nothing they've made too much of a focus of it in the show it's the shows way of hinting at Jon's fate etc

kirblar

I don't think this was hasty. This was always the plan (it's not like there would have been more story set in Dorne anyway), it's just crappy planning.
S5 filming was apparently hugely problematic because they had very little time available to use the locations. It's a reason the fights were so awful.

Faddy

Banned
S5 filming was apparently hugely problematic because they had very little time available to use the locations. It's a reason the fights were so awful.

They also said it rained which put even more pressure on their already tight schedule.

fuzzyset

I forget; in the show, does Sansa know that Bran and Rickon are potentially alive? Or at least that Theon didn't kill them? I couldnt' remember when watching their hug under the tree last ep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom