• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

I don't understand that either, but between the Great Jon not showing up in the show after he was mad Robb made a deal with the Freys and the book having some Umbers begrudgingly supporting the Boltons, they seem to be aligned with the Boltons in the show.

We haven't seen any of the Umbers since season one, and nothing we've seen has suggested they were anything but 100% loyal to the Starks.

If the showrunnners fuck this up I will be pissed.

In the books the Umbers swear allegiance to the Boltons because they have the Greatjon hostage and they are just waiting to get in a position to fuck them up.

The North Remembers.

Arkeband

Banned
Holy crap almost forgot about getting backstory on Hodor/Willis! I loved that part.
Man, really makes me wonder what happened to him

Lends credence to the theory that the ice-god opposite of R'hllor is some disambiguation of H'odor, and Willis (RIP Walder) got his brains fried with a run-in with some Others.

I like how Balon gives no shits about losing every last man he sent to the north.

With the exception of Victarion, he left everyone to die. The neck and Deepwood Motte were just as indefensible as Winterfell, he was just too into that "Iron Price" life for common sense to get in the way. The Reaving lifestyle made sense when the kingdoms were fragmented, not against a united Westeros.

Flare

Lends credence to the theory that the ice-god opposite of R'hllor is some disambiguation of H'odor, and Willis (RIP Walder) got his brains fried with a run-in with some Others.

I really liked that theory. Love reading theories about the Winterfell crypts.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
We haven't seen any of the Umbers since season one, and nothing we've seen has suggested they were anything but 100% loyal to the Starks.

If the showrunnners fuck this up I will be pissed.

In the books the Umbers swear allegiance to the Boltons because they have the Greatjon hostage and they are just waiting to get in a position to fuck them up.

The North Remembers.
I wish they had shown the Great Jon being captured at the Red Wedding.

Better episode but I still feel like they have lost their touch when it comes to building great scenes. Both murders were so matter of fact and uninteresting.

Same for resurrection, too. Davos is like "hey I heard y'all can do this, wanna try it?"

I do like seeing a shaken Melissandra.

Standout scenes were the dragons and theon saying goodbye.

Also, hey guys, did you know Ramsay is a bad guy? He's a bad guy who does bad things. Didn't really click until he feed a baby and mother to his dogs.

Ugh.

Also while I'm still not sold on the idea of Robert Strong in the show or the books, I can appreciate that he is basically fantasy Jason Voorhees.

Something about him doesn't work. My sister thinks he's adorable. A glassy eyed teddy bear in a suit of armor.

Ramsey is a very uncompelling villain. Clearly written to follow from Joffery as the bastard we're meant to hate, it just doesn't work.

I really wish they'd shifted direction and made Roose a more prominent antagonist. As viewers/readers we have cause to dislike the character; natural enemy of the starks, red wedding involvement etc. Ramsey started off interesting enough but quickly devolved into a cheap, poorly written villain.

It would have been interesting to further play on the father-son dynamic between Ramsey and Roose, give the pair actual development. It's all been very disappointing so far,

Despite the goings on at the wall and north of the wall being fantastic; the surrounding stories have fallen flat. It's expected I guess, the show is quite restricted in the current format but I just don't feel as enthralled in the series as I was during the first 4 seasons.

Rant aside - this is by far the best episode since season 4 (excluding Hardhome which is god-tier television). My complaints may make it sound like I dislike the series, but my small disappointments are just amplified due to my high expectations I feel.

Yeah, this episode was definitely the best they've had since Hardhome and better than almost everything else in Season 5.

But I completely agree on the whole Ramsay/Roose thing. I haven't read the books in a while but I really remember disliking Ramsay in the books because he was an asshole. But I really disliked him because he was a good antagonist. Show Ramsay... I don't know. The actor is fine but he just hams it up and gets way too sadistic in way too theatrical a way. Add in how much plot armor he seemingly has whereas I always pictured Book Ramsay as less a "charge shirtless into a battle" kind of macho guy and more of just some creepy guy that probably abused animals as a kid and now abuses people.

It's just a shame that all the cool old guys like Stannis, Tywin and Roose are dropping like flies.

Good episode anyway, if a bit predictable. I just felt like Jon's resurrection wasn't really earned in the show however. Like it just felt like Davos had some meta-knowledge he shouldn't have had. I mean, why with this one death is Davos all hung up about not accepting that Jon is dead and trying to get Mel to resurrect him? Why now and not Stannis? Felt like some sort of lazy writing there but that's kind of been the case with a lot of the plot movements this season. It feels like the writers have the big plot points from GRRM set in stone and they're just taking the absolute fastest route to get there, cutting all the fat and any characters slowing them down from getting to the end game and wrapping this show up in a season or 2.

Someone remind me why the Umbers would
turn over Rickon
without some kind of secondary plot going on? They seemed to be pretty big supporters of the Starks and had to make a choice when Robb went down.

The show is slashing and burning any loose ends left and right.
Killing off Rickon would just be another loose end character in a wildly different book situation that the show could check off their list so they barrel towards the end of the series.

That's my impression anyway. All these characters like Doran, Balon, Roose and Stannis are just getting killed off since they probably don't factor into the TV series end game and it seems like the showrunners are just charging towards that endgame as fast as they can now that they don't have the books as a solid road map anymore.

While I do appreciate the show saying "you know what, let's just start getting shit done, we have to wrap this up at some point," I do hope that things start to have a bit more weight going forward. Every big event so far this season has fallen kind of flat.

Lautaro

Holy crap almost forgot about getting backstory on Hodor/Willis! I loved that part.
Man, really makes me wonder what happened to him

Yeah, that was good.

I complain about the show but several cool things happened, at least the story is progressing.

EDIT: also Jon needs to start chopping heads in the next episode or I'm gonna be mad.

Damerman

Someone remind me why the Umbers would
turn over Rickon
without some kind of secondary plot going on? They seemed to be pretty big supporters of the Starks and had to make a choice when Robb went down.

I'm willing to avatar bet that the Umbers are playing Ramsay.

Kozak

Banned
Would anyone be able to answer these questions for me...

• What happened to Olly?
  • Edd brought the wildlings back in time?
  • Status of Nights Watch and Thorne?
  • Was Melisendre doubtful?
  • Did anybody see Ramsay kill Roose? Bat an eyelid?
  • Tyrion was face to face with the dragons and they didn't kill him?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yeah, this episode was definitely the best they've had since Hardhome and better than almost everything else in Season 5.

But I completely agree on the whole Ramsay/Roose thing. I haven't read the books in a while but I really remember disliking Ramsay in the books because he was an asshole. But I really disliked him because he was a good antagonist. Show Ramsay... I don't know. The actor is fine but he just hams it up and gets way too sadistic in way too theatrical a way. Add in how much plot armor he seemingly has whereas I always pictured Book Ramsay as less a "charge shirtless into a battle" kind of macho guy and more of just some creepy guy that probably abused animals as a kid and now abuses people.

It's just a shame that all the cool old guys like Stannis, Tywin and Roose are dropping like flies.

Good episode anyway, if a bit predictable. I just felt like Jon's resurrection wasn't really earned in the show however. Like it just felt like Davos had some meta-knowledge he shouldn't have had. I mean, why with this one death is Davos all hung up about not accepting that Jon is dead and trying to get Mel to resurrect him? Why now and not Stannis? Felt like some sort of lazy writing there but that's kind of been the case with a lot of the plot movements this season. It feels like the writers have the big plot points from GRRM set in stone and they're just taking the absolute fastest route to get there, cutting all the fat and any characters slowing them down from getting to the end game and wrapping this show up in a season or 2.
Agree with the bold entirely.

Enjoyed the episode but yeah, the story does suffer a bit. Why couldn't Melisandre have said she saw Jon in the flames as the reason to resurrect him?

golem

The show is slashing and burning any loose ends left and right.
Killing off Rickon would just be another loose end character in a wildly different book situation that the show could check off their list so they barrel towards the end of the series.

That's my impression anyway. All these characters like Doran, Balon, Roose and Stannis are just getting killed off since they probably don't factor into the TV series end game and it seems like the showrunners are just charging towards that endgame as fast as they can now that they don't have the books as a solid road map anymore.

I dont think it will be that simple. It will probably be the beginning of revealing the great northern conspiracy. Most of those dead characters will probably die in the books anyways.

bengraven

Fam, that was the best episode of Season 5 and 6 both.

Legit good, not a single bad moment. Fifteen minutes in and I was telling my wife "holy shit, it isn't bad yet...wait for it"; had fifteen minutes left and had to put my kid down and the wife asks how it was and I'm like "It's still really fucking good".

LOVED:

- Davos and Mel having a moment
- Mel's lack of faith - Carice is not only one of the most beautiful women in the world, but man can she act
- the standoff over Jon's body
- Wun Wun smashing that man's head
- the flashback
- Tyrion and the dragons - fuck I knew they'd never kill him but my heart was in my throat the entire time - the dragons looked fantastic and what great acting by Dinklage as usual.
- all of Pike - such a shame we only had a few scenes with the actor playing Balon - he would have been a fun scene chewer on the level of Charles Dance or the actor who plays Walder Frey.
- the surprisingly touching goodbye of Sansa and Theon
- Ghost being like "heyyyyy"
- *GASP* - welcome bad, kit.

DIDN'T LOVE BUT WAS WELL DONE

- as in the wedding/wedding night or every other scene with Ramsay the ruthless scene of him and Walda; every horrible scene with him reminds me of The Mist's film ending. It's horrible, you want to hate it and some just straight out hate it and dock the show over it. But it's well done and it's true to the character. He's just such a fucking piece of shit that he transcends being a fictional character and you almost want to have GRRM and D&D arrested for making him come to life in some form. The dogs scene was horrific but dammit it was what would have happened.

DIDN'T HATE BUT DIDN'T LOVE:

- Cersei and Tommen. The little speech Tommen gave to his mom was actually well done and touching, but I have to admit: I've never been a Lannister fan (except Jaime) and I'm kind of sick of her sitting in her place of power. Cersei is boring to me now. She is the only character in the entire series that, barring a brief tour of a cell and some shit being thrown at her naked body, has stayed in the same place with the same amount of power and by this time she has GOT to have some fucking sores on her ass.

DIDN'T LIKE:

- the scenes in Dorne...WAIT THERE WERE NONE

HATED:

- nothing...seriously the best episode in a long time.

• What happened to Olly?

In a cell
Yes
Lord commander snow is alive and Thorne is in a cell
She's losing her faith...or was
Yes the two saw him, one of them was for it the other is scared
He's a secret targ

cj_iwakura

I'm just imagining Tyrion getting Quentyn'd. Hahahaha

So glad that didn't happen, but I was bracing myself for it.

lol at Balon acknowledging that all the other kings died like, 3 years ago (in tv time)

have no idea why this didn't happen in season 3

I know, right? Sheesh, they could've at least had snippets along the way, this felt rushed as all hell. Glad that that's over with, though.

Really expected Mel to burst into flames or something. Oh well.

Apt101

• What happened to Olly?

- Olly was imprisoned along with Thorn
- Yes
- The Wildlings, along with Edd and Davos, are in charge now at the Wall
- She was, until she breathed "please". She leaves the room in doubt but will probably be emboldened a great deal upon seeing John
- No. The Karstark was onboard and the maester knew better than to be contentious
- Yes, Tyrion has studied dragons all his life and correctly deduced that they're not merely rampaging beasts but rather intelligent beings that would respond to friendship and respect

Arkeband

Banned
let's be real, though

walder > willis

IxpPs8q.jpg

Valhelm

contribute something
Yes, let's name the most adored minor character on the show after the least adored.

Speaking of old man Frey, is it possible that he'll seek revenge after Ramsay killed Walda?

I doubt the show will return to a character who hasn't been mentioned in years, but Ramsay kicked a whole colony of hornets' nests this episode.

How old is Ned at the Tower of Joy? 15?

20 in the books. In the show, 25 or older.

bengraven

I always thought Jon would be taken away somewhere and the NW may never even know he was resurrected until news got back.

This is an interesting dynamic. So if he does move on and go South then maybe there's an agreement made that he cannot serve anymore. Maybe he is given the okay to ditch his post.

or maybe he just gets to participate in the fun of the south while still being Lord Commander.

I guess we all assumed he wouldn't be LC in the end, but maybe he never does lose the title.

Oh but Alliser fucking Thoooooooooooooorne, JON SNOW COMING FOR YOUR ASSSSSS.

Fetch me a stump Olly. Then grab a second one that's the same size as your little head.

Turin

Banned
That should be Oswell Whent. Dayne I assume is the guy next to him. Did I miss it and did both of them have two swords?

Pretty sure it's going to be Dayne with two swords and a couple of schmucks.

I just don't think they'll inject the coolest sword in the world never to bring it back again. I hope I'm wrong.

While I do appreciate the show saying "you know what, let's just start getting shit done, we have to wrap this up at some point," I do hope that things start to have a bit more weight going forward. Every big event so far this season has fallen kind of flat.

Its just all feeling very predictable and perfunctory.

Roose getting killed is just like a blasé knife in the back in the middle of the episode with next to nobody reacting to it. I think Fat Walda had more screen time in her death than Roose. Its like the show is just sort of telegraphing these events really obviously so that when they happen there isn't much surprise, its just a matter of going right along with it. Or you have characters like Doran or Balon getting killed after having so little screentime overall that their deaths just kind of ring totally hollow.

At this point I'm almost positive Jon will kill Ramsay at the end of the season. Not that there is anything wrong with that happening but the way they're already setting things up that feels like the most predictable way for things to happen.

Speevy

Banned
Speaking of old man Frey, is it possible that he'll seek revenge after Ramsay killed Walda?

I doubt the show will return to a character who hasn't been mentioned in years, but Ramsay kicked a whole colony of hornets' nests this episode.

Walder wouldn't lift a finger to help or hurt the Boltons.

Grief51

Banned
I'm enjoying the season so far, but I hope they slow the deaths down a bit.

Doran/Areo/Trystane/Roose/Balon when characters get killed off this fast it loses the emotional impact.
I've got a feeling though D & D are simply trimming the fat and getting straight to the endgame. In that case I'm ok with it.

Goddamnit it is nerve-racking watching episodes now when anything can happen :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Getting the feeling that there's a character changeup in the Winterfell story

Rickon/Fake Rickon in place of Arya/Fake Arya/Jeyne Poole. My best case scenario would be the Umber's bringing in a fake Rickon (on purpose), leading to the Pink letter, but with Rickon instead of Arya, and then the whole Bolton/Frey Pie thing happens.
I'm enjoying the season so far, but I hope they slow the deaths down a bit.

Doran/Areo/Trystane/Roose/Balon when characters get killed off this fast it loses the emotional impact.
I've got a feeling though D & D are simply trimming the fat and getting straight to the endgame. In that case I'm ok with it.

Goddamnit it is nerve-racking watching episodes now when anything can happen :)

Well, at least Balon's happened. Could have just had that scene last year (or the year before).

Valhelm

contribute something
Walder wouldn't lift a finger to help or hurt the Boltons.

Why? With the Lannisters essentially gone from power, he has nobody to offend by going after the man who murdered his own daughter. The Freys seem about as concerned with their own as the Lannisters are. They're like the McPoyles of Westeros.

Speevy

Banned
Its just all feeling very predictable and perfunctory.

Roose getting killed is just like a blasé knife in the back in the middle of the episode with next to nobody reacting to it. I think Fat Walda had more screen time in her death than Roose. Its like the show is just sort of telegraphing these events really obviously so that when they happen there isn't much surprise, its just a matter of going right along with it. Or you have characters like Doran or Balon getting killed after having so little screentime overall that their deaths just kind of ring totally hollow.

At this point I'm almost positive Jon will kill Ramsay at the end of the season. Not that there is anything wrong with that happening but the way they're already setting things up that feels like the most predictable way for things to happen.

Well, I'm welcoming how they're doing it. This episode was a classy production, and let's be honest, this show has never been particularly exciting.

If we can get through one episode at a time without trashy, D and D style soft porn dialogue, I'm on board.

Crashdown

Neo Member
My wife happens to also be watching Rome now, and it's reminding me how a murder on a show should build character on both sides of the knife: the guy getting and the guy giving. None of that with Roose and Ramsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom