• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
Getting the feeling that there's a character changeup in the Winterfell story

Rickon/Fake Rickon in place of Arya/Fake Arya/Jeyne Poole. My best case scenario would be the Umber's bringing in a fake Rickon (on purpose), leading to the Pink letter, but with Rickon instead of Arya, and then the whole Bolton/Frey Pie thing happens.

Well, at least Balon's happened. Could have just had that scene last year (or the year before).

They already changed it up with Sansa being Jeyne Poole

Like it just felt like Davos had some meta-knowledge he shouldn't have had. I mean, why with this one death is Davos all hung up about not accepting that Jon is dead and trying to get Mel to resurrect him? Why now and not Stannis? Felt like some sort of lazy writing there but that's kind of been the case with a lot of the plot movements this season. It feels like the writers have the big plot points from GRRM set in stone and they're just taking the absolute fastest route to get there, cutting all the fat and any characters slowing them down from getting to the end game and wrapping this show up in a season or 2.

You've summed up two big issues I have currently with the show:
a) Plot points driving characters as opposed to characters driving plot a la the first 4 seasons.
b) TOO MANY CHEAP, UNDESERVED DEATHS for awesomely cast characters

Characters have begin to act in obscure ways which isn't in their nature. This is often feels like its due to D&D fastracking character deaths. The biggest example being stannis. I won't go into details of his siege and living off LEATHER FROM BOOK BINDINGS FFS. But his talk with his daughter midway through season 5; it was touching and went a long way to build the likeabilty of the character. Undone in one brash decision that a character who had stannis' experiences wouldn't make at all.

This was done purely to fast track his death at the hands of Brienne. Brienne who gives a monologue about Renly being the true king despite everyone and their old nan knowing differently. Stannis deserved better, however the scene was somewhat saved by his last words 'Go on, do your duty.'

I feel Stannis would have been a great character going forward and hope he is in the books. His development has been fantastic, he IS THE TRUE KING and the only one of the 5 kings to realise the threat north of the wall. Becoming king by saving the realm as opposed to conquering it. I loved that man and Dillane was perfect casting :(

Apt101

Pretty lucky that none of those knives pierced Jon's lungs. Or maybe red magic heals scar tissue real fast.

Berric was carved by the Hound from shoulder to lungs, and he was instantly healed by the time he sat up. We see the wounds as John gasps, but then it zooms into his face. I think it can be assumed his wounds were healing rapidly, or even instantly, at that point.

My wife happens to also be watching Rome now, and it's reminding me how a murder on a show should build character on both sides of the knife: the guy getting and the guy giving. None of that with Roose and Ramsey.

I'd disagree. Ramsay has typically killed with sadistic satisfaction. He was clearly somber here. Then, as he sicced the hounds on Walda, he looks away at first, then seems to have to force himself to watch. Remember the glee he had earlier when he watched the hounds (his bitches) tear someone apart?

Valhelm

contribute something
My wife happens to also be watching Rome now, and it's reminding me how a murder on a show should build character on both sides of the knife: the guy getting and the guy giving. None of that with Roose and Ramsey.

D&D really lack Martin's finesse. He's not Dostoyevsky, but he exhibits a real mastery of characterization far beyond most other genre writers. The way he deals with the ramifications of individual acts of violence or rebellion is pretty interesting, and despite their length each book is packed with amazingly thick continuity.

Was Melisandre referencing Lady Stoneheart when talking about seeing a resurrection before?

I was hoping they might find a way to finally bring that into the show with Snow's death. :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
They already changed it up with Sansa being Jeyne Poole

Maybe the 1st half of it, but now the 2nd half is dangling out there.

Was Melisandre referencing Lady Stoneheart when talking about seeing a resurrection before?

I was hoping they might find a way to finally bring that into the show with Snow's death. :(

I'm pretty sure she's talking about Beric.

Obviously I misunderstand your post.

What kind of character is built by a guy being murdered? Especially after they've been murdered?

I've seen Rome so an example would be cool.

golem

D&D really lack Martin's finesse. He's not Dostoyevsky, but he exhibits a real mastery of characterization far beyond most other genre writers. The way he deals with the ramifications of individual acts of violence or rebellion is pretty interesting, and despite their length each book is packed with amazingly thick continuity.

It helps when you have 6 years to write a single book. I do feel however that D&D's writers room is out of its league making new material instead of adapting.

bengraven

Been a long time since I re-watched an episode.

Olly is like Donald Trump Jr. Get down little boy, seriously. I get you hate immigrants, but for fuck's sake.

Kozak

Banned
- Olly was imprisoned along with Thorn
- Yes
- The Wildlings, along with Edd and Davos, are in charge now at the Wall
- She was, until she breathed "please". She leaves the room in doubt but will probably be emboldened a great deal upon seeing John
- No. The Karstark was onboard and the maester knew better than to be contentious
- Yes, Tyrion has studied dragons all his life and correctly deduced that they're not merely rampaging beasts but rather intelligent beings that would respond to friendship and respect

In a cell
Yes
Lord commander snow is alive and Thorne is in a cell
She's losing her faith...or was
Yes the two saw him, one of them was for it the other is scared
He's a secret targ

fuck ye

best episode ever without watching haha

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Good episode anyway, if a bit predictable. I just felt like Jon's resurrection wasn't really earned in the show however. Like it just felt like Davos had some meta-knowledge he shouldn't have had. I mean, why with this one death is Davos all hung up about not accepting that Jon is dead and trying to get Mel to resurrect him? Why now and not Stannis?
Well on one hand, Davos is obviously the audience surrogate in this scene.

But I still say Davos is acting consistently. He shouldn't know Stannis is dead yet. So as far as he knows, his mission is still to get the support of the wall/supplies. In which case his best option is to bring Jon back because no one else on the Nights Watch cares about Stannis' war.

Valhelm

contribute something
It helps when you have 6 years to write a single book. I do feel however that D&D's writers room is out of its league making new material instead of adapting.

I like to imagine D&D chainsmoking in dark rooms lit only by shards of light coming in through the Venetian blinds, pacing desperately as they try to unpack Martin's plots and churn them through the sausage grinder of television

Lonestar

Unless they wheeled that monster in within a cage, I doubt it. Shaggydog was the fiercest and most wild of the dire wolves.

Trying to remember, but wasn't it the general consensous that the direwolves, in some fashion, took on some of the traits of their counterpart Stark? If so,
could a slightly older Rickon be so easily taken prisoner?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Holy crap almost forgot about getting backstory on Hodor/Willis! I loved that part.
Man, really makes me wonder what happened to him
Seeing the Great Other (whose name is Hodor) imprisoned in the crypts below Winterfell really screwed him up.

suzu

Trying to remember, but wasn't it the general consensous that the direwolves, in some fashion, took on some of the traits of their counterpart Stark? If so,

The direwolves are hardly important on the show. I mean, remember when they had Ghost randomly wander off and leave Jon. haha

You've summed up two big issues I have currently with the show:
a) Plot points driving characters as opposed to characters driving plot a la the first 4 seasons.
b) TOO MANY CHEAP, UNDESERVED DEATHS for awesomely cast characters

Characters have begin to act in obscure ways which isn't in their nature. This is often feels like its due to D&D fastracking character deaths.(

Eh, GURM couldn't keep his characterizations consistent in book 4B, so it isn't that surprising that the show is having the same problem.

Pkaz01

Best line for me was from Sansa, "yea she wouldn't be" lol

Also, someone who is better at telling the dragons apart, which one was the first one that Tyrion petted? I feel like thats the one he will ride

Well Rome was an infinitely better show.

The direwolves are hardly important on the show. I mean, remember when they had Ghost randomly wander off and leave Jon. haha

Show Ghost knew best when to get the fuck out of horrible storytelling.

Apt101

Yes, they did, and Rickon was the most wild and loving of a fight amongst his kin. Lady was proper, like Sansa. Nymeria was obstinate and hated bathing, like Arya. Ghost somber. Etc.

But speaking of Rickon specifically, he's probably still a wild child but still what - 13, 14 years old?

Lol they made Roose look like a complete idiot. Isn't he actually possibly masterminding everything in the books? This show is quickly mastering the dumb anticlimax.

Turin

Banned
Best line for me was from Sansa, "yea she wouldn't be" lol

Also, someone who is better at telling the dragons apart, which one was the first one that Tyrion petted? I feel like thats the one he will ride

Pretty sure Tyrion got chummy with Rheagal.

Viserion was the one creeping.

Lol they made Roose look like a complete idiot. Isn't he actually possibly masterminding everything in the books?

I don't want to talk about it. -_-

Does Brandon Stark exist in the show? As in Ned's older brother.

Littlefinger brought him up a couple of times in S1

LifEndz

Theon - I would have taken you to the very fires of Mordor...

That scene....sigh. Love how Martin gets me to sympathize with characters that have done some horrible things. When Theon listed all the shit he pulled and how he didn't want forgiveness...damn. Alfie Allen is doing an incredible job with this part.

Valhelm

contribute something
Quick GRRM/DD comparison:

One of the coolest things in ASOIAF is Melisandre's business with the leeches. She dooms three kings to die before Stannis, and they actually do, albeit from different plot mechanisms which were all put into motion before she even touched a leech. Rob dies due to foolishly betraying Walder Frey due to the sexual honor instilled upon him by his father. Joffrey dies because Olenna and Littlefinger considered him to be an obstacle to their own plans, which they each had probably been formulating since Robert's death. Assuming Balon was murdered by Euron, then he was doomed since the day he exiled his brother.

In this way, Melisandre's spell worked. The three remaining rival kings all died. From Stannis' perspective, she's truly a powerful sorceress who can vanquish his enemies. But it really blurs the line between fantasy and reality. We see Melisandre do very little actual magic, and we know from Thoros that many legitimate magicians often employ tricks.

By killing off Stannis before Balon, the spell is nothing more than a false illusion. This turns Melisandre into a weak fraud, and renders the scene pointless. This is really indicative of the kind of on-the-fly planning that plagues Game of Thrones.

Well on one hand, Davos is obviously the audience surrogate in this scene.

But I still say Davos is acting consistently. He shouldn't know Stannis is dead yet. So as far as he knows, his mission is still to get the support of the wall/supplies. In which case his best option is to bring Jon back because no one else on the Nights Watch cares about Stannis' war.

Didn't Mel basically tell Davos that Stannis failed/was wiped out when she returned to Castle Black without Stannis?

The motivations behind getting Jon resurrected seem strange in the show. Sure, Davos is basically the audience surrogate but here he is asking Mel to resurrect a guy that he's known for a very short period of time meanwhile the guy that he's been devoted to for most of his adult life is presumably dead out in the field and Davos has seemingly totally forgotten him? But he's willing to risk his life to protect the corpse of Jon on the off chance Mel can resurrect him, when he really shouldn't have any clue as to the Red Priest's resurrection powers in the first place.

I'll be real curious to see how Jon's resurrection is set up in the books since its a bit different there in terms of characters. Again, it just feels like the writers have all the main plot bullet points down but they're struggling to write in the connective tissue and character development for the characters to make these big moments really make sense for the characters.

Apt101

My prediction for next episode:

Bran sees the future, with The Night's King rampaging past the Wall. They have a moment. He watches The Tower of Joy. He leads Jon Snow's soul back to his body.

The last part probably not, but I think it would be cool.

Omadahl

Banned
Much tighter episode overall compared to last week. Only complaint really is Roose's death. The actor who played him was great.

Yeah. That was a true, "Going out with a whimper," scene. To be honest, at first, I thought it was Roose stabbing Ramsey. It would have made more sense.

bengraven

That scene....sigh. Love how Martin gets me to sympathize with characters that have done some horrible things. When Theon listed all the shit he pulled and how he didn't want forgiveness...damn. Alfie Allen is doing an incredible job with this part.

Alfie needs to play more range in other projects. The guy has the chops. I hope he isn't relegated to the "son of the local gangster/villain" role for the rest of his career.

Does Brandon Stark exist in the show? As in Ned's older brother.
He was in the flashback.

Episode was solid but again there are puzzling decisions. I guess we'll just have to deal with the stupidity of bastards (legitimized or not) killing powerful people with no consequences; second episode in a row. It just feels like wrestling-tier writing to essentially decide someone needs to die and throw logic/story out the window to make it so. Roose goes from consummate survivor/mastermind to a dude who gets stabbed in a room with no guards. Ok.

I liked the Tommen stuff and it'll be interesting to see where it goes. I'm guessing Tommen will go too far, blood will be shed in the sept, plots will be resolved and just as it seems like things will get back to normal....Sand Snakes kill him.

Iron Isles felt tacked on. I already know friends and family will be asking me wtf was that about. Guessing the only reason the show is doing this is for Asha to sail ships to Meereen and back.

Jon...huh. Seemed very rushed as well. And given that Jon is not a warg in the show, doesn't that mean he'll forget parts of his past like Beric? The entire point of Dance's prologue was to explain how the warg process works and how Jon will remain "Jon" even after his death. I haven't seen S3 in awhile, did the show mention Beric lost parts of his self after coming back alive?

Lonestar

Much tighter episode overall compared to last week. Only complaint really is Roose's death. The actor who played him was great.

Yeah, could have sworn some little interview, or rumor, that kind of implied the actor didn't quite like where the story was going, and people took it to mean something like this was happening (and did).

I've seen some post shows bringing up the possibilities of Theon actually going back to Winterfell (perhaps to try to kill Ramsey, or perhaps have a suicide by Ramsey, if he's so beyond wanting forgiveness). Going "Home" for him could easily mean Winterfell, after living there so long, as well as being "Reeks home" if he still had part of that identity left in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom