• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

axb2013

The problem with this discussion is that there's direct evidence from filming that definitively answers this question, so unless you want to be unsure (not how it sounds) there's no reason for you to be questioning this.

Yup, there is "evidence",
images from a set with Jon wearing Stark colors and I am pretty sure HBO removed a trailer from youtube just because there was a shot of Jon wearing those same clothes riding a horse in battle.
People working on GOT have been singing the same old "Jon is dead" tune since the S5 finale but the wording of such claims always left room for Jon to come back without risk of them getting exposed as liars once season 6 starts.

That latest interview though... He straight up says that he is no longer in the show and then goes on saying that it will be a relief once the show airs and people realize that he is not coming back.
I worry that the images/footage we saw aren't spread out over the season, rather that D&D have used Bran to give us a speedrun of Jon Snow related events in the first few episodes and then kill him off. I'll lose all respect for Kit if he just straight up lied about no longer being on the show.

3 more days, I guess.

As I was hunting for info to confirm/dispel my doubts, I saw an image of a male standing over Jon's body, touching him in a similar fashion Thoros touched Beric to bring him back, looked a lot like Thoros.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Come on guys. At least try it out.

Pretty sure I had already written out my ideas of who I think "gets it". Though, thought this was unmarked topic, so it's not spoilered out.

The Mountain and The Hound (again), Loras, Allister, Theon, Osha if she ever shows up, All Freys, Kevan and Pycelle(guaranteed if Varys decides he needs to leave Myreen for reasons), Melisandre, Roose, Balon, Pod, Missandei, Beric if he (or any BWB) show up, Ramsey, Olenna, Mace Tyrell, Lancel, Ellaria, Three-Eyed Raven, Olly, and 2/3rds of the Sand Snakes.

Left out Jorah, and I'll add Bronn :/

NeoGiff

I'll lose all respect for Kit if he just straight up lied about no longer being on the show.

Really? REALLY?!

What a ridiculous notion. You do realise he's under an incredibly strict NDA, and his excuses in interviews is how he was probably coached to deal with the incessant nagging, right? I feel incredibly sorry for the guy. He constantly has everyone asking about his job and he's not allowed say anything, yet he still demonstrates extreme patience and courtesy.

SteveWD40

Really? REALLY?!

What a ridiculous notion. You do realise he's under an incredibly strict NDA, and his excuses in interviews is how he was probably coached to deal with the incessant nagging, right? I feel incredibly sorry for the guy. He constantly has everyone asking about his job and he's not allowed say anything, yet he still demonstrates extreme patience and courtesy.

Just say "Jon Snow is dead" over and over until they get bored. It leaves it open and he can't be held to account.

The OTT "I am done with the show, I am shaving my hair and going to make a film about lumberjacks, also I am never doing GoT again" stuff was just a bit much.

axb2013

Really? REALLY?!

I didn't expect him to break NDA, I think he should have said even less than he did. He didn't even have to confirm that he was back on set, playing a corpse or whatever.

I said I would lose respect for him because, as far as my understanding of legalese goes, a contract obliging a party to lie cannot be legal hence cannot be made. A non disclosure agreement is just that, agreeing not to disclose information.

I felt like this host went rather easy on him compared to others, so I was surprised to hear him say more than he needed to:

I am no longer involved in the show so any secrets that are with the show I don’t actually know anymore—so it becomes very easy, Jonathan.

And then the handbrake:

You’re looking at me like you don’t believe me. It’s going to be so relieving when people actually see the show and realize that I don’t come back.

Look, I am not trying to annoy anyone, up until this damned interview that I wish I had not seen that I was firmly sided with all of you revivalists. Now?

If Kit lied here, I stand by what I said, if he was contractually obligated I might retract a bit.
HBO would be extremely stupid to resort to lying before exhausting silence, non answers and bland PR type statements.

I can't shake this notion now that Jon Snow's return will be limited to a flash or a vision after which he is really gone from the show.

All bets are off if lying is an option but for me, the order of likelihood:

-RR Martin and/or D&D royally fucked it up.

-Kit did not lie because his present contract has been terminated, D&D benched Kit for a season or two. Has the loophole "I come back as another character".

-Kit did not lie, Jon Snow is gone, Jon Stark/Targaryen is played by another actor.

-Kit lied

Speevy

Banned
HBO is selling the sixth season of an insanely popular television show in which most of the most well known events have already happened.

It is in their best interest to firmly plant the seed of doubt as to whether Jon Snow is coming back.

It's a mystery that will get them millions of viewers.

Moff

relax, it's about an entertaining tv show with tits and dragons, no reason to blow this out of proportion

bengraven

I just realized George may be the first writer who's star rises and falls between two books. The mainstream didn't care about him until about season two, a couple years after Dance was out, and will likely forget him again before Winter is released.

Dany

Banned
Noo, his books will do gangbusters. Anyone who has read the books and watch the show; probably treat the books in higher regard

fantomena

Got unbanned right in time got the show to start up.

Due to due episode name I assume Jon will be back in episode 3 (Oathbreaker).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My death new death prediction poll:

The Moutain
The Hound
Loras
Olly
Kevan
Pycelle
Walder Frey & multiple others
Rickon
Tommen
Jorah
Roose,
Balon
Pod
"Beric Dondarion"
Blackfish

- THR: 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Discuss Endgame: "We're Approaching the Finish Line"
There is a lot of talk about the show approaching the endgame. Game of Thrones is an incredibly valuable property to HBO. Why walk away after potentially two more seasons? While shows like Mad Men were stretched out and split in half, how are you approaching bringing this all to a close?

We're not walking away. We're approaching the finish line. From the outset, our hope was to tell a complete story — beginning, middle and end. We are writing the final act now, and the last thing we want to do is stay on stage after the play is over.

Season six of Game of Thrones arrives before book six of A Song of Ice and Fire. At what point did you realize the show would pass, and therefore veer away from, the books? As fans of George and stewards of the television adaptation of his story, can you talk me through the process of coming to terms with the reality of the situation, and creating a plan of action that not only fulfilled the show's needs, but interacted with George's needs as well?

We realized we'd probably catch the books when we spent several days with George in Santa Fe in 2013, discussing the future of the book series and the television series. George's schedule is very much his own, as it should be for a novelist. But we're locked into a set schedule — a new season every year. In the beginning, we hoped that if the show worked, we'd get seven seasons to tell the tale. Seven kingdoms, seven gods, seven books — seven felt like a lucky number. The actual messiness of storytelling might not be quite that numerologically elegant, but we're looking at somewhere between 70 and 75 hours before the credits roll for the last time.

The show has diverged from the books quite dramatically by this point, but it's still George's world: The characters he's dreamt up in the world he created. At this point, given the fact that we're outpacing the novels, we all see the upside in the divergence: book readers won't be spoiled by what's to come on the show, and the show audience won't have to worry about spoilers from the unpublished books. And we're very happy that the show has led so many people to discover George's amazing books.
- Mashable: Go inside the mighty 'Game of Thrones' treasure room with Bran Stark (short video)

Iksenpets

Banned
I keep seeing these death predictions not mention
Ramsay, does everyone really think he'll survive the season?

On that note, my predictions:

Ramsay
Roose
Walda
Kevan
Pycelle
Balon
Loras
Rickon
Osha
Olly
Thorne
One of Frey's sons (but Frey himself holds out til next season)
The Waif
Daario

Azzanadra

At this point, I really wonder why they ended on that cliffhanger at the end of S5. People knew Jon was was going to live in less than five minutes after the credits rolled.

As for death predictions, I think you guys are pretty spot on but I would like to add:

Jaime. I think this will be the culmination of his redemption arc IF Lady Stoneheart is a thing. I can't really see any purpose for him later anyways, when the political landscape is but a backdrop to the fight between the Others and the living.

Iksenpets

Banned
My death prediction apart from others mentioned lately

Jorah

Nah, Jorah has to make it to Westeros to start a grayscale plague. He has plot armor until that point.

People I really thought about but ultimately excluded were Tommen and Frey, because I think they're both early season 7 departures. I also only added Daario because I felt like someone has to die in Meereen, and he felt most likely, and maybe losing him will push Dany more towards fire and blood or whatever.

Nodnol

In a weird sadistic way, I'm actually looking forward to seeing who dies, outside of those already dead in the book, because it should catch people off guard...ish.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
At this point, I really wonder why they ended on that cliffhanger at the end of S5. People knew Jon was was going to live in less than five minutes after the credits rolled.

As for death predictions, I think you guys are pretty spot on but I would like to add:

Jaime. I think this will be the culmination of his redemption arc IF Lady Stoneheart is a thing. I can't really see any purpose for him later anyways, when the political landscape is but a backdrop to the fight between the Others and the living.
We have a person in this thread that isn't sure if Jon is coming back or not...

Also on your spoilers:
He has to kill Cersei, that's his ultimate redemption arc, plus there's a theory that Bran might Warg into him and finally live his dream of being a knight...I don't entirely buy that but hey it could happen.

fantomena

That could be a reference to Brienne's sword oathkeeper. I imagine Jon will be back by then though.

Episodes has usually multiple meanings. Can be Jon breaking his night watch oath by being ressurrected, reference to Brienne sword, something to do with Jaime like flashback to him breaking his oath by killing the Mad King.

Jon will come back or it will simply be bad storytelling. I mean, he never got to know who his mother was, all the theories and prophecies. And what the fuck is the point on having so much emphatis on the Tower of Joy in the trailers and promos since that's where Jon is born if nothing will come out of it?

When it comes to Jaime I think he will kill Cersei when she goes full mad king when Robert Strong loses to The Mountain.

I won't discuss it or hint at what is is but just wanted to warn you guys, looks like someone has managed to acquire Episode 1 already and posted a big spoiler screenshot from Sunday's episode online. Looks pretty real to me.

Hi folks, please don't post any leaks in the thread. If that's something you're interested discussing, there are sites other than GAF where you can get into that. Also, please don't PM beg for links. Thank you.

gutshot

Supposedly HBO Canada put the episode up early on their On Demand service. How the hell does this keep happening? HBO and D&D must be livid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom