• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Northerners like other Northerners. Simply placing a Frey or Littlefinger there and saying "we the Warden now" doesn't work in the north.

Also, Ramsay is a mad dog https://youtu.be/-aviRWrUxHg?t=129 . His fate will come to him.

But Roose jr. is just a baby. If they just decided that Ramsay wasn't a Bolton anymore but house Bolton to still be the wardens then that would be a clusterfuck. Who would that make the acting lord, Fat Walda?

It's not like Lannisters have a bone to pick with Ramsay, Roose is the one who betrayed them.

Ithil

I feel like Balon's death is actually kind of cheapened by being in such close proximity to two much more rushed deaths (and by the fact that no one ever directly mentioned Euron before this scene). Balon's death scene becomes kind of guilty by association with the other two. I wish they had spaced it out a bit to at least delay Roose or Balon to episode three. This was a rare episode where things felt like they were moving too quickly.

That's what I meant, the other two feel totally perfunctory and the deaths barely register as a result, even though they were major characters. They cheapen death on the show (far more than Jon's resurrection will). It's like I could see the whiteboard with everyone's names getting a few characters wiped off as they happened.

On Balon's death being better,I simply meant that the scene itself was better, with a better buildup to the death and at least and attempt to make it stand out as memorable. It also helped that it was introducing a new, intriguing character instead of "Ramsay is EEEEEEVIL" yet again, like we didn't know that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I mean, I'm all for them killing the HS/Faith Militant, but they have to be aware they're probably going to have to kill tons of people in the city.

They had the proper time of when to do it, and that was when Tommen went to the Septor, and left because the HS was praying. Cersei's walk, just made it "too late" to do anything.

SArcher

Banned
So apparently that Karstark guy is totally cool with Ramsey killing Roose (it definitely feels like he already knew what Ramsey was going to do). But why? What does the young Karstark have to gain from Ramsey taking over? Anyone with half a brain would realize that Ramsey is a complete psychopath.

And are we expected to believe that the Bolton men just won't give a shit and won't question Roose's death at all? If Ramsey really is trying to fool his own men then killing Walda and her baby makes the whole thing even more suspicious. I guess they're all either idiots or psychopaths like Ramsey.

Lastly, I really don't get why Davos cares so much about Jon and why he's being so nice to Melisandre. Even if he doesn't know that Melisandre burned Shireen, she is still pretty much responsible for leading Stannis to his death. Hell, you could say Davos's own son died because of Mel. And now he's like "I've seen you do miracles" like he's been in awe of her this whole time.

D&D want to get to all these awesome moments but the lead-up to them is so ill-conceived.

I really hope that Sansa is the one that gets to deal the killing blow to Ramsay. I imagine he'll have to be captured and restrained to make it believable, but that's okay with me.

Accompany the knife strike with the words "My brother Robb sends his regards" and a mad scream of amalgamated sorrow, terror, hate, and rage.

clemenx

Banned
I hope he gets killed off next episode. Episode 4 at most.

That bullshit he pulled off has no ground to stand on, like you're saying.

He's probably just talking about the general tenor of the thread. Honestly, the book reader thread has been virulent whining since season 2. I've pretty much gotten used to it. I will NEVER forget the "Only Cat" belly aching.

Ah gotcha. I barely follow the thread, but I have noticed a lot of whining on Reddit and Twitter. I'm basically over the changes from the book at this point. The only thing that makes me angry is dumb dialogue.

Why did Ramsay kill Roose when Roose still considered him his first-born? Paranoia?

Personally I think it's totally plausible Ramsay would have been friggin done if he let Roose step out of that room. He panicked and at least to me it makes sense.

Roose saying he still considers him his first-born just screams he no longer needs him.

Tabris

Who are you talking to?

Just talking about the general feeling in this thread.

I mean I watch the show and think it may have been better if they did X or Y, or don't agree with the storytelling for a specific scene or character. But I still enjoy watching the show and get something from it. The way some of the posters in this thread make it sound, I don't even know why they bother watching.

There's so much to do in life and so little time. Why spend it continuing to watch something that just frustrates you (and again not talking to you but to the general thread).

studyguy

It's absolutely fair to say both men were expecting to get strung up if either left the room. Roose literally said Ramsay needed to be seen as more than a maddog before it was done in for it. Would have sooner expected Roose to stab Ramsey at the same time.

Bigby

I really hope that Sansa is the one that gets to deal the killing blow to Ramsay. I imagine he'll have to be captured and restrained to make it believable, but that's okay to me.

Accompany the knife strike with the words "My brother Robb sends his regards" and a mad scream of amalgamated sorrow, terror, hate, and rage.

I kinda want him to be fed to Ghost, maybe flay a finger or two or a whole hand before.

So people have been wondering why Davos and co. even wanted to revive Jon. I can think of a couple of reasons.

1. They were holed up in a room with Jon's body, and they believed that Thorne was preparing to slaughter the Jon loyalists. They weren't 100% sure the wildlings would try to save them. Bringing back Jon was a Hail Mary survival tactic to undermine Thorne's leadership and save their skins.

2. Even if the wildlings did storm the castle due to Jon's death, they never listen to or trust any non-wildling other than Jon. If Jon is back it would really help them control the wildlings. It's really the only way.

Therefore I think it makes total sense for Davos, the only person there who REALLY knows the crazy shit Melisandra is capable of, to attempt that Hail Mary.

jett

D-Member
Speaking on the resurrection, I wish it would've been more dramatic than that, like some proper biblical shit with Jon resurrecting amidst the flames, Dany style. It's funny how this show is surprisingly low-key for the magical stuff and stupidly over the top for literally everything else.

Out of all the recasting they have done, I can't really complain about bringing in fucking Max von Sydow.

And hey, will a recasting in this show ever be as bad as season 2 Gregor Clegane?

You know who they should've recast? Bran. Like three seasons ago. He looks ridiculous now.

Is Rickon going to be played by the same actor too? I can't even imagine how that guy is going to look like.

Flare

Speaking on the resurrection, I wish it would've been more dramatic than that, like some proper biblical shit with Jon resurrecting amidst the flames, Dany style. It's funny how this show is surprisingly low-key for the magical stuff and stupidly over the top for literally everything else.

You know who they should've recast? Bran. Like three seasons ago. He looks ridiculous now.

Is Rickon going to be played by the same actor too? I can't even imagine how that guy is going to look like.

They really fucked up deciding how time works in the show. Everyone growing up, Myrcella saying it's been years. Meanwhile, Gilly's kid is still a baby. It's like they realized that the child actors are growing up way too late.

That's nothing compared to Ramsey.

He has his wife Jeyne Poole raped by his dogs.
I actually don't think this happens in the book. She agrees to do it, something like, "I'll even do ..." but I don't think it ever takes place.
That, and the Ramsay killing Roose scene bugged me. I like that Ramsay is in control, and the scene where he killed Walda and his brother was kind of cool, but I find it hard to believe someone like Roose would let his guard down at a moment like that. This is the same Roose that was at the Red Wedding, and yet he doesn't expect his psychotic son to react violently to the news of his brother superseding him in the line?
It's fine that Ramsay kills Roose, I just thought the swiftness of it was unsatisfying. It would have been great if Ramsay's blade was turned because Roose was wearing mail under his doublet. And Roose gives him that look.

5cpYTCG.gif

Brakke

Banned
It's funny how this show is surprisingly low-key for the magical stuff and stupidly over the top for literally everything else.

I don't know if we've really had enough magic to say this. Like... that one dude raised an army of undead from an entire village-worth of corpses onscreen last season. That wasn't low-key at all.

Aldebaran

I'm glad they changed the look of children of the forest, and nice nod to book readers when Balon almost got Euron's eye with the dagger.

mantidor

Honestly the only problem I have with Ramsay this episode is the way he dealt with Walda and her boy. Without Roose nobody would really challenge his claim without challenging the whole Bolton house or really wanting to get flayed. He is officially Rooses heir and it's not like the baby is going to conspire against him anytime soon. If he wanted to get rid of them he could have done it later without making them dogfood and having the whole situtation look a tad bit suspicious.

I feel the opposite, killing challengers to his power is a very obvious, very GoT/ancient history-like turn of events. I was in this play this past weekend about the Illiad and I had forgotten that when the Greeks sacked Troy they took Hector's son who is only six months old and threw him off the walls. Infanticide is a very common thing in these games of power in the past.

The bad part was Ramsay killing Roose, that not only came out of nowhere it was also out of character, he is doing everything to impress his father until now.

HMD

Deaths feel like nothing in the show, this was the death of the Starks enemy and it was almost like an off-screen death.

Flare

I feel the opposite, killing challengers to his power is a very obvious, very GoT/ancient history-like turn of events. I was in this play this past weekend about the Illiad and I had forgotten that when the Greeks sacked Troy they took Hector's son who is only six months old and threw him off the walls. Infanticide is a very common thing in these games of power in the past.

The bad part was Ramsay killing Roose, that not only came out of nowhere it was also out of character, he is doing everything to impress his father until now.

Besides, it's heavily implied he poisoned Domeric in the books. I don't know why they didn't add that as a back story for him but whatever. He's done enough crazy shit on the show not including his last 3 kills.

Since Stannis is seemingly dead in the show, but alive in the books I guess Jon and his character are going to be combined. You guys think they'll take from DwD and have Jon send Davos to unite the Northern houses?

Gigglepoo

Deaths feel like nothing in the show, this was the death of the Starks enemy and it was almost like an off-screen death.

Exactly. It's funny how people say that Martin has a sick mind for all the killing that he does but more named characters have died in the shows than the books. Even though there are thousands of characters in the books, still more have died on the show. That's crazy. I would love to see them go an entire episode without resorting to killing off an important character. See if they can move the plot forward another way.

studyguy

If Stannis isn't dead I'm gonna be as disappointed as I was when he turned into a jobber and fell to a couple dudes with torches.

Ramsay is less compelling as a villain and the scenes seemed more about having him do yet more horrible things, even if it defied logic. He's a Bolton bastard in a precarious position. Abusing Sansa, Killing Roose and feeding Freys to dogs shouldn't be winning him allies in the North.
I don't even know why they even had to show him leading Fat Walda to the kennel

You can read into what he was really saying when he asked the maester to bring them to him. They didn't need a scene of him actually killing them.

It's a few more minutes of filler to show something that didn't need to be shown. And they fucking cutaway from her being torn to shreds anyway which makes the scene even more pointless.

Flare

Since Stannis is seemingly dead in the show, but alive in the books I guess Jon and his character are going to be combined. You guys think they'll take from DwD and have Jon send Davos to unite the Northern houses?

I think this is exactly what Davos will be doing. Maybe even with Sansa. I also find it interesting that we've come to a point where Mel's promo material has been used up, I don't think we've seen anything of her from past episode 2. Might be wrong. I wonder where they'll be taking her, will she just hang around Jon now?

I totally get why Ramsay would get rid of them eventually but I would expect this to look ridicilously suspicious if he wants to pretend Roose was poisoned. I don't get why he needed to rid of them like that. He is a bastard after all and stuff like this weakens his position from my point of view. I don't imagine Ramsay is very well liked even by his own troops.

As for killing Roose I think it was entirely because he was legit fearing for his life. Roose was the only person he respects but if he let him leave the room he could have ended up dead himself, he didn't want to kill him. Of course that's just my interpritation.

Violater

Preview spoiler
I sure hope the tower of joy is close to what people have been waiting on because you guys/gals can't stop going on about how excited you are.

Eidan

Preview spoiler
I sure hope the tower of joy is close to what people have been waiting on because you guys/gals can't stop going on about how excited you are.

Reaction spoiler
God D&D are such hacks! They failed to capture the subtlety and nuance of the paragraph in AGOT!

I don't even know why they even had to show him leading Fat Walda to the kennel

You can read into what he was really saying when he asked the maester to bring them to him. They didn't need a scene of him actually killing them.

It's a few more minutes of filler to show something that didn't need to be shown. And they fucking cutaway from her being torn to shreds anyway which makes the scene even more pointless.

Yup. Fucking awful.

Brakke

Banned
Exactly. It's funny how people say that Martin has a sick mind for all the killing that he does but more named characters have died in the shows than the books. Even though there are thousands of characters in the books, still more have died on the show. That's crazy. I would love to see them go an entire episode without resorting to killing off an important character. See if they can move the plot forward another way.

Is this even true at all. Pretty much everyone in the books gets a name, and tons of them die. Brienne's adventure with Dick Crabb of Crackclaw Point kills Crabb, Shagwell, Timeon, and Pyg.

The entire point of book-Dorne was to introduce a bunch of named characters George could kill because he's weirdly reluctant to kill anyone who's been around since the start.

studyguy

Yup. Fucking awful.

Gotta get that shock value. Also thought they'd just off Fat Walda off screen with the small aside to the Maester. Nah gotta go the full 90 yards, half expected the dude to punt the baby when he held him in his arms or slam him down then start doing a victory dance. It's just too over the top, but that's basically what he's billed as for now so no reason to worry about it.

Does anyone have a link to that leaked Season 6 plot summary and overview from a while back? It seems like it was pretty accurate based on my memory but I'd like to review it again to see if things match up.

I mean, I'm all for them killing the HS/Faith Militant, but they have to be aware they're probably going to have to kill tons of people in the city.

They had the proper time of when to do it, and that was when Tommen went to the Septor, and left because the HS was praying. Cersei's walk, just made it "too late" to do anything.

I really wish Jamie had his right hand last night

Meier

Why did Ramsay kill Roose when Roose still considered him his first-born? Paranoia?
When has Roose ever showed himself to be trustworthy? With a new heir, Ramsay became very expendable and he obviously his actions could be a liability in the future. He'd served his purpose already. I can see why Ramsay would be concerned that Roose would off him and I can see why Roose would have considered doing so.

Violater

It's amazing to me how fast the wildlings took over castle black.
Imagine what 20 good men could do....
thats the first and last time I'll use that reference.

I think this is exactly what Davos will be doing. Maybe even with Sansa. I also find it interesting that we've come to a point where Mel's promo material has been used up, I don't think we've seen anything of her from past episode 2. Might be wrong. I wonder where they'll be taking her, will she just hang around Jon now?

If they go this route (and I hope they do) I imagine Ramsey will be sending Jon a letter soon. He has no choice but to do whatever he can to find Sansa, it's the only thing keeping him in power. He'll have to provide some kind of provocation outside of threatening him though. So maybe instead of Maynce being captured it will be fake Arya/Rickon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom