• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

Karstarks still hold a grudge. Not hard to see, when Roose preaches caution, that they'd be willing to support Ramsey if it meant revenge on the Starks.
They want a Stark bastard who commands the Wall dead while are being okay with Sansa keeping the line alive with Ramsay and usurping Rooses heir. Im not sure how that works as revenge.

CloudWolf

I was also on edge with Tyrion, kept telling myself he can't die but then in the back of my mind remembering what happened in the books to the last guy who got cocky around dragons made it a bit tense.

That was Quentyn's mistake, he didn't talk to the dragons about how he really liked dragons as a little kid.

Henkka

Banned
Ramsay: Hey guys, I just murdered my father, his wife and his trueborn son. Pledge your loyalty to me now, okay?

Lords of the north: Uh, why should we serve a kinslaying bastard and child murderer? Not to mention, Roose Bolton was appointed Warden of the North by the king himself. Wait, how did you think you would survive this?

Ramsay: Uhhhh... The plot demands it!

Corpsepyre

Banned
I want to see the more wild GoT theories either confirmed or dismissed now. Jon Snow's was seen from a mile away, and it's not shocking. You connect all the dots from book 1 till 5, and it's apparent this was how it would go.

Now, the other theories....That's something I want to see the show deal with.

Ramsay: Hey guys, I just murdered my father, his wife and his trueborn son. Pledge your loyalty to me now, okay?

Lords of the north: Uh, why should we serve a kinslaying bastard and child murderer? Not to mention, Roose Bolton was appointed Warden of the North by the king himself. Wait, how did you think you would survive this?

They were all poisoned by "enemies" tho. If anything this will unite the northern houses against this vague foe.

Branduil

Worst part about the episode. He totally goes against everything his character believes for no reason at all just because the show needs someone to do this. So sloppy.

It's pretty obvious D&D have stopped giving a fuck if any of the characterization or plot logic makes any sense as long as it moves things from point A to point B. It's basically the polar opposite of GRRM. Where he is completely paralyzed thinking about how to logically move the story along, D&D are just "well whatever, what if every single lord is just murdered by a family member."

Nodnol

They want a Stark bastard who commands the Wall dead while are being okay with Sansa keeping the line alive with Ramsay and usurping Rooses heir. Im not sure how that works as revenge.

Sansa and Ramsey is a different proposition to Sansa on her own. There's a certain immunity that marriage would afford.

Either way, it's not hard to deduce that the Karstarks, if they still hold a grudge (which they do), would back (or atleast be complicit in) Ramsey overthrowing Roose.

Eidan

The official narrative coming from Winterfell is that Roose was poisoned by the North's enemies. Did you not hear it? It was a major point in the scene.

Iksenpets

Banned
Some thoughts on the big battle from the trailers with all the burning crosses based on this episode and some filming stuff
:
Watchers said at least two named characters on the crosses, and Rickon is not one of them. Ramsay trying to pass off Roose's death as a poisoning pretty much kills the theory that Roose and Walda are up there. The Stannis theory loses weight every episode his body doesn't turn up. Tormund and Davos are both participants in the battle, so it's not them. I'm pretty convinced that Ramsay is going to carry out a raid on Castle Black and destroy the Watch — especially given that Ramsay killed Roose right after he shot down that idea — and that the crosses are Nights Watch officers. RIP Edd. :(

CloudWolf

It's pretty clear D&D don't really get how medieval succession is supposed to work. I mean, Ellaria will probably rule Dorne the next time we see it, which makes way less sense than Ramsay taking over the North by murdering his dad.

3U2RgyL.png

Aww, he has a root cage/wicker basket in his cave that he's in for some reason, maybe it's a cave he found a really comfy chair in. As disappointing as that first appearance at the end of season four was, after almost two years this being the best they did is pretty damn disappointing given the show's budget. I didn't expect a full blown, straight from the book depiction of of Bloodraven and his being in the tree but damn, at least make it look like he's actually a part of the tree I'm sure they could've figured something out to make it look better while accommodating for a man in his late 80s. Max Sydow is an upgrade but everything else was a downgrade, hell they didn't bother doing anything with Leaf this time around than just put a now adult actress in make-up.

studyguy

Some thoughts on the big battle from the trailers with all the burning crosses based on this episode and some filming stuff
:
Watchers said at least two named characters on the crosses, and Rickon is not one of them. Ramsay trying to pass off Roose's death as a poisoning pretty much kills the theory that Roose and Walda are up there. The Stannis theory loses weight every episode his body doesn't turn up. Tormund and Davos are both participants in the battle, so it's not them. I'm pretty convinced that Ramsay is going to carry out a raid on Castle Black and destroy the Watch — especially given that Ramsay killed Roose right after he shot down that idea — and that the crosses are Nights Watch officers. RIP Edd. :(
Oh man Jon is alive! Oh fuck we're all dead now!
Seems like too quick a turn around but who knows. Maybe in the show Ramsay basically leaves Castle Black sacked, unmanned after everyone is forced to flee thus leaving the gates wide open for walkers?

Aww, he has a root cage/wicker basket in his cave that he's in for some reason, maybe it's a cave he found a really comfy chair in. As disappointing as that first appearance at the end of season four was, after almost two years this being the best they did is pretty damn disappointing given the show's budget. I didn't expect a full blown, straight from the book depiction of of Bloodraven and his being in the tree but damn. At least make it look like he's actually a part of the tree.

3U2RgyL.png

He reminds me of my time in elementary school, they used to trim the branches off of the trees surrounding the school every year. They'd leave them in a giant pile and we'd crawl in to small holes inside and call it a fort lol.

Henkka

Banned
The official narrative coming from Winterfell is that Roose was poisoned by the North's enemies. Did you not hear it? It was a major point in the scene.

What about Fat Walda and her newborn son? You can't sweep that under the rug, come on... It's not like Ramsay was subtle about it.

DeviantBoi

That was Quentyn's mistake, he didn't talk to the dragons about how he really liked dragons as a little kid.

Quentyn's desire was to control them.

Tyrion's was to help them.

Maybe they could sense this? Being magical creatures, this doesn't seem too far-fetched.

CloudWolf

Walda and Roose Jr. were also poisoned. Poison which mysteriously turns their corpses into dog food.

'Enemies' have all kinds of poison. Poison that creates stabbing wounds, poison that makes you dog food, possibly also poison that makes your head disappear.

Henkka

Banned
It's pretty clear D&D don't really get how medieval succession is supposed to work. I mean, Ellaria will probably rule Dorne the next time we see it, which makes way less sense than Ramsay taking over the North by murdering his dad.

If the whole royal family is murdered, the rule obviously goes to the king's dead brother's old lover. It's an ancient Dornish tradition.

Eidan

What about Fat Walda and her newborn son? You can't sweep that under the rug, come on... It's not like Ramsay was subtle about it.

I don't know. I guess we'll both have to watch and see.

My money is on Ramsay coming up with a weak explanation which anyone can see through, that he will not feel the need to further explain because he's all about ruling through fear and force. His madness and arrogance will make him believe the other houses of the North will fall in line, which will ultimately lead to his undoing. You know, classic "hubris before the fall". Storytelling, folks.

Arkeband

Banned
Didn't Jon burn his hand in an early season fighting off that wight? No fire immunity there.

I'm pretty sure that GRRM clarified this to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing; it's not a total immunity to fire, though Dany liking her baths scalding hot shows a proclivity towards things like this.

If Drogon decided to roast her, she'd get roasted. I'm pretty sure the World of Ice and Fire book also talks about some previous Targs who got roasted by dragonfire as well.

Which is why Jon walking out of the flames, while "cool" sounding, actually doesn't make a lot of sense unless you want to push this idea of Targaryen = immune to fire and also confirm his lineage in one fell swoop.

Oh and yeah, maybe that wasn't meant to be Leaf... That CG'd kid did look silly.

He reminds me of my time in elementary school, they used to trim the branches off of the trees surrounding the school every year. They'd leave them in a giant pile and we'd crawl in to small holes inside and call it a fort lol.
I actually called it a fort when I first wrote the sentence but then went back and changed it.

studyguy

I'd assume most other lords are going to see right through the poisoning but have bigger fish to fry at the moment but leave Ramsay on the backburner to deal with later. By which time it'll either be too late or Ramsay will have already be dealt with. We'll see.

Ratrat

Sansa and Ramsey is a different proposition to Sansa on her own. There's a certain immunity that marriage would afford.

Either way, it's not hard to deduce that the Karstarks, if they still hold a grudge (which they do), would back (or atleast be complicit in) Ramsey overthrowing Roose.
If they ratted out Ramsay instead, there would be no Stark blood ruling Winterfell. Roose would probably have just given them Sansa... But nope, lets put a psycho in command just so we can kill a guy who isn't even a real Stark.

SteveWD40

Yes but they have a grudge with the Starks, not with Roose, specially when Roose basically avenged their Lord.

Yup, who the fuck would want Ramsay as a leader? why would the Umbers and the Karstarks actually want him to succeed?

I can get them being afraid of him and his forces, flaying is a pretty big threat, but actively conspiring for him to kill Roose, who was balanced in his own fucked up way.

The way the show put it, Lord Karstark was in on it,
and then the Umbers rock up next week with Rickon and a smug smile, plus the rumoured dialogue from the battle from Umber to Ramsay ("who rules the north? show me!) it's like Ramsay has a fucking fan club now...

Eidan

Yes but they have a grudge with the Starks, not with Roose, specially when Roose basically avenged their Lord.

It seemed to me that the Karstark's goals aligned more with Ramsay's than Roose's. He might not have a grudge against Roose, but is there some reason why he'd be compelled to intervene? Those Karstarks always were a shady bunch.

fuzzyset

It's pretty clear they're building towards the Great Northern Conspiracy. Dropping the Manderlys name in that list of houses that support the Boltons was so obvious.

Henkka

Banned
I might be misremembering or getting my allegiances wrong, but... Sure, the Karstarks had no love for Robb Stark. But that was only after he put Rickard Karstark to the sword for murdering young Lannister boys. So they have no love for Lannisters either, and Roose was appointed Warden by the Lannisters. So I could see Karstarks wanting to murder Roose... But a situation where they choose Ramsay over Roose? Or Ramsay at all? I don't understand it.

Spoiler question related to next week's episode:

Has the bit about the Umbers showing up with Rickon actually been revealed as true through a script leak?

Kuroyume

Banned
I actually enjoyed this episode a lot. Nice bounce back after the turd from last week.

The only scenes that really bugged me was Tyrion heading down to interect with the Dragons... That's just ridiculous for that character. Who were to believe is very smart. That, and the Ramsay killing Roose scene bugged me. I like that Ramsay is in control, and the scene where he killed Walda and his brother was kind of cool, but I find it hard to believe someone like Roose would let his guard down at a moment like that. This is the same Roose that was at the Red Wedding, and yet he doesn't expect his psychotic son to react violently to the news of his brother superseding him in the line?

Karstark joining the Boltons in the show makes perfect sense. Liking Ramsey as a leader, that not so much. They're going to need GREAT explanations for why the Umbers. If the Manderleys are similar to the books, it could be fun. That supposes a consistently good level of writing, so I refuse to get hyped in any way.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Isn't he like 65 years old? While it would have been cool to see him go down in single combat to a worthy adversary, I don't have a problem with the way the show handled his death. His character arc was pretty much finished before the books began.

Forget Dunk and Egg, I'd rather see a Barristan focused mini-series.
The only problem with the way he died was that he was "saved" by Grey Worm but then was shown to be dead at the beginning of the next episode any way. It was a worthless fake out.

fuzzyset

Spoiler question related to next week's episode:

Has the bit about the Umbers showing up with Rickon actually been revealed as true through a script leak?

I believe most/all of those script leaks were "proved" to be fake.

Eh you got people who either attribute everything (good or bad) to GRRM or everything to D&D, going by some posts I've been reading over the years in the no-spoilers thread. Moreso now that it's known that there are no more books. Sucks, but what ya gonna do.

To be fair, on show with 100s of people involved, a secret plan is more a thing than a single writer and his notes on an un-networked computer. The plan is probably more story of messaging and PR than anything else, not "we came up with this".

suzu

I can't wait to see the inevitable bastard showdown, but I fear Ramsay will probably stay winning for awhile longer.

How is killing Jon and bringing him back 'a secret two-year plan'? I mean, the book where his death happens is more than two years old and everybody and his mum could guess that GRR Martin plans on bringing him back. It's not D&D's idea.

Eh you got people who either attribute everything (good or bad) to GRRM or everything to D&D, going by some posts I've been reading over the years in the no-spoilers thread. Moreso now that it's known that there are no more books. Sucks, but what ya gonna do.

Tabris

Everyone's so focused on Ramsay and are forgetting that Roose Bolton got what he fucking deserved. He got stabbed the same way he stabbed Robb Stark.

I'm surprised people aren't talking about the visual similarities to how Roose stabbed Robb Stark, it's almost the exact same and same spot. It's nice to see some karma go the other way. Next up Ramsay being flayed.

I might be misremembering or getting my allegiances wrong, but... Sure, the Karstarks had no love for Robb Stark. But that was only after he put Rickard Karstark to the sword for murdering young Lannister boys. So they have no love for Lannisters either, and Roose was appointed Warden by the Lannisters. So I could see Karstarks wanting to murder Roose... But a situation where they choose Ramsay over Roose? Or Ramsay at all? I don't understand it.

Pretty sure all the Northern houses (Manderly, Glover, Mormont, Flint, etc.) were in agreement that the Karstarks are in the tank with the Boltons as opposed to every other great house.

Not particularly sure what the Umbers business is about in the show, and we won't know until we get there, but we know the Karstarks are aligned with "not Stark", show and book.

Gigglepoo

I think the reason the show has been so blood thirsty early on this season is that there are only 2 seasons ( roughly 20 episodes left) and they have to get to the end game very quickly. So while GRRM has 5-10 thousand pages left roughly to tell his story the show has to be confcise and get to the point. It also has to be a lot more streamlined.

Is there any reason they couldn't go 10 seasons? They're making a choice to streamline the story so much and that decision has ramifications. But it's still a choice.

Eidan

Everyone's so focused on Ramsay and are forgetting that Roose Bolton got what he fucking deserved. He got stabbed the same way he stabbed Robb Stark.

I'm surprised people aren't talking about the visual similarities to how Roose stabbed Robb Stark, it's almost the exact same and same spot. It's nice to see some karma go the other way. Next up Ramsay being flayed.

That kind of observation never really gets acknowledged in this thread. Most are preoccupied with plot grievances.

Is there any reason they couldn't go 10 seasons? They're making a choice to streamline the story so much and that decision has ramifications. But it's still a choice.

Honestly. I think part of it is that running the show is rough as hell, and they don't want to turn it over to anyone else. 10 years is a LONG time, hell 8 is a long time too. Still, that doesn't excuse them not planning for shit in the last few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom