• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Listen, I know what you're all thinking so I'll voice the main concern.
Where are the boobs this season, D&D?

Glad they're being less gratuitous lol

Can we talk about the important thing that was revealed yesterday? Yes, freaking Hodor could fucking talk! That thing blew my mind.

You're just the biggest troll, Willis. Hodor my ass!

studyguy

Can we talk about the important thing that was revealed yesterday? Yes, freaking Hodor could fucking talk! That thing blew my mind.

You're just the biggest troll, Willis. Hodor my ass!

'You got me Bran, it was me the entire time. I'm actually the one pulling the strings, commanding the White Walkers, killing your father, generally sowing chaos across the world. Now that you know, looks like our time together is Hodor.'

Gigglepoo

Is this even true at all. Pretty much everyone in the books gets a name, and tons of them die. Brienne's adventure with Dick Crabb of Crackclaw Point kills Crabb, Shagwell, Timeon, and Pyg.

The entire point of book-Dorne was to introduce a bunch of named characters George could kill because he's weirdly reluctant to kill anyone who's been around since the start.

Touche. There is probably the same amount of death in the books and show but everyone has a name in the books. Good point. I should have said that more important characters die in the show even though there are many more in the books. Which is crazy. And my point still stands: can they go an episode without killing someone important? Can they find other ways to move the plot forward?

Meier

Therefore I think it makes total sense for Davos, the only person there who REALLY knows the crazy shit Melisandra is capable of, to attempt that Hail Mary.
Stuff like this is really obvious to most people. Some just want to look for things to complain about even when they're not there.

Also, Hodor is Willis/Willas now and not Walder? I guess that's another disambiguation for show viewers.

Yes, his real name in the books is Walder. They likely changed it to Wylis to avoid confusion with Walder Frey or, perhaps, Walda Frey, who played a fairly prominent role in the same episode they reveal Hodor's show-name. Dropping Walder / Walda in the same episode might be seen as confusing viewers given the various accents involved in the show (see: Osha / Asha).

Speculation about ToJ next week

We won't actually hear about Jon's parentage. Likely we will see that Lyanna had a child and that only Howland Reed knows what Lyanna told Ned. This will then be the impetus for Bran to go meet Howland with Meera in tow in later half of the season...I will say right around the battle for Winterfell

Hinchy

Yes, his real name in the books is Walder. They likely changed it to Wylis to avoid confusion with Walder Frey or, perhaps, Walda Frey, who played a fairly prominent role in the same episode they reveal Hodor's show-name. Dropping Walder / Walda in the same episode might be seen as confusing viewers given the various accents involved in the show (see: Osha / Asha).

Not to mention that Walder Frey was in one of the trailers. Do I have to spoiler tag that? Spoiler tagging it just in case.

also, unrelated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR0hbtCAR1k

We won't actually hear about Jon's parentage. Likely we will see that Lyanna had a child and that only Howland Reed knows what Lyanna told Ned. This will then be the impetus for Bran to go meet Howland with Meera in tow in later half of the season...I will say right around the battle for Winterfell

It took Bran how many seasons to get there? And then he's just going to leave and get to Howland within part of a season? ....Eh, you're probably right.

RedStep

ryseing

They really fucked up deciding how time works in the show. Everyone growing up, Myrcella saying it's been years. Meanwhile, Gilly's kid is still a baby. It's like they realized that the child actors are growing up way too late.

To be fair, not all of these plots are taking place at the same time. The Wall stuff is in the "past", so to speak. That allows for hemming and hawwing past these discrepancies.

I meant what I said? The Southern plotlines are a couple months ahead in real time. Didn't think there was much of a debate about that.

Are you referring to the books or the show? I never got the impression of a staggered timeline in the show. Did I miss something?

Kain

They are totally skipping Howland Reed. You can quote me on that later.

mantidor

Jaime's trip back to Kings landing should have taken some time, while all the other plots kept going.

edit: ^^^^ exactly that.

I meant the show. Two days have passed at the Wall since the end of S5 while at least a month passed in the South so Jaime could get back to KL.

Jaime's trip back to Kings landing should have taken some time, while all the other plots kept going.

edit: ^^^^ exactly that.

I don't think this is evidence of a staggered timeline; it's evidence of plot magic/D&D shrugging their shoulders.

Brakke

Banned
Jaime didn't take very long *getting* to Dorne in the first place. The show's always had weirdly quick travel -- see also Littlefinger -- so that time discrepancy is probably just the show playing fast-and-loose.

I guess I just don't see what the Wall being in the "past" matters at all?

Henkka

Banned
Tyrion S1-4: wittiest man in the seven kingdoms
Tyrion S5: drunk and depressed
Tyrion S6: dick jokes

I did groan at Tyrion making another joke about Varys being dickless. At least they were a little self-aware about it, I guess. Tyrion might as well be dickless himself for all the action he's been getting lately, though. He should visit a Meereenese brothel, that should make for a fun scene.

Btw, what do you guys think the point of Tyrion setting the dragons loose was? I mean, he didn't actually let them go outside. He just took the chains off for some reason.

Btw, what do you guys think the point of Tyrion setting the dragons loose was? I mean, he didn't actually let them go outside. He just took the chains off for some reason.

I'm not sure--that confused me. Maybe it was just to help them think of him as a friend, so he could get them eating again, or to use them in the future?

News Bot

Banned

The show is going out of its way to display what Howland did for Ned at the Tower of Joy battle (
stabbing the last Kingsguard in the back of the neck
). There's a chance he'll be quite important.

ryseing

Jaime didn't take very long *getting* to Dorne in the first place. The show's always had weirdly quick travel -- see also Littlefinger -- so that time discrepancy is probably just the show playing fast-and-loose.

I guess I just don't see what the Wall being in the "past" matters at all?

I was making a point that time discrepancies allow things like Gilly's baby to be overlooked. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.

Books 4 and 5 have staggered timelines. Not sure why it's surprising that the show would be any different.

The show is going out of its way to display what Howland did for Ned at the Tower of Joy battle (
stabbing the last Kingsguard in the back of the neck
). There's a chance he'll be quite important.

If Jon's lineage has any importance to the plot Howland Reed has to come into the story. With Benjen seemingly dead he's the only one who knows the truth, and likely has proof to back it up.

I did groan at Tyrion making another joke about Varys being dickless. At least they were a little self-aware about it, I guess. Tyrion might as well be dickless himself for all the action he's been getting lately, though. He should visit a Meereenese brothel, that should make for a fun scene.

I think primarily it was to check off a plot event that needed to happen since Quentyn doesn't exist. And it felt a bit odd but it works given Tyrion's love of dragons, which they had to remind everyone since they forgot (including me lol).

If I have one major complaint about this episode its that they really should have done the Iron Islands last season and just had Dorne happen off-screen, if at all. There's basically no buzz at all about Balon's mysterious brother because it was so out of nowhere, plus the other stuff happening this episode.

Iksenpets

Banned

Man, when they're going so far as to include Old Nan and young Rodrik as background extras in Winterfell flashbacks, there will be at least some reference to Howland. Plus it gives Bran something to talk to Meera about.

There's basically no buzz at all about Balon's mysterious brother because it was so out of nowhere, plus the other stuff happening this episode.

I laughed when they made a point to have him address Balon as "brother" twice. He looks more like Theon's older brother than Balon's.

Bronn

pod.gif

fuzzyset

I think primarily it was to check off a plot event that needed to happen since Quentyn doesn't exist. And it felt a bit odd but it works given Tyrion's love of dragons, which they had to remind everyone since they forgot (including me lol).

There's also the Tyrion-is-Targ theory.
Can't remember if we need to spoiler fan theories.

edit2: I thought the Euron reveal scene was one of the better of the entire episode. Can someone gif Balon clutching to the bridge while Euron just stands there absorbing every gust without effort? My non-book friends were all intrigued / excited by what's going on in GJ territory.

I laughed when they made a point to have him address Balon as "brother" twice. He looks more like Theon's older brother than Balon's.

It's also weird how Aeron is the youngest brother but looks even older than Balon. That drowned god life takes years off of you.

wtvunrt.png

Euron's been traveling out east so maybe he's using some magic to look young. My only hope with his appearance is that he has purple lips as a callback to the warlocks in Qarth.

Gigglepoo

I wonder if they'll explain why Euron was away from the Iron Islands. Balon didn't make it sound as though he had banished him in their bridge confrontation. Maybe they'll just gloss over it?

fuzzyset

I wonder if they'll explain why Euron was away from the Iron Islands. Balon didn't make it sound as though he had banished him in their bridge confrontation. Maybe they'll just gloss over it?

If Victarion doesn't exist maybe not? I could see Euron showing up at Kingsmoot with Yara/Asha "My father banished you!" ... "well your father is dead". And it just moves on from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom