• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of this post is answering any of my post.

You said "Interesting decision establishing why Jon is important after he's resurrected." Jon is already well established as important. He's personally touched a bunch of major characters, he's upturned the Watch / Wildling politics, he's one of two people who's killed a Walker, he was elected as one of the youngest Lord Commanders. What more do you need before you call him "important"?
We are reaching the end game. He needs to graduate from being one of the best Lord Commanders of the NW(and important accolade but pretty unimportant in the greater picture) and become the prince that was promised. That what I think Tormund's god line implies in the preview.

Speevy

Banned
I imagine the battle sequence with Jon vs Ramsay is probably going to happen sooner than episode 9.

What would they do for the next several episodes though?

The only bigger events are possibly removing the Lannisters wholesale from Westeros or a Whitewalker invasion of the mainland.

Kicking the Boltons out of Winterfell has been made the central storyline of the season.

Speevy

Banned
Oh and Roose went out like a chump. I'm surprised the dude didn't see that obvious power play coming.

I think they missed an opportunity by having Roose say something like "You made me proud." as he was going down.

A little too on the nose?

Speevy

Banned
Without talking about the scene specifically, what do you guys think about the guy they chose to play young Ned Stark?

I thought he'd look older. Isn't Ned in his 20s at the Tower of Joy?

Betty

Banned
Without talking about the scene specifically, what do you guys think about the guy they chose to play young Ned Stark?

Eh, from the short clip he has the right look and way of talking so I'm good.

jdstorm

Banned

I'm just excited to see Ned fight for real. Sean Bean did such a good job setting Ned up as a formidable fighter despite most assuming the tales of his skills were highly exadurated

Brakke

Banned
We are reaching the end game. He needs to graduate from being one of the best Lord Commanders of the NW(and important accolade but pretty unimportant in the greater picture) and become the prince that was promised. That what I think Tormund's god line implies in the preview.

Yeah but this this logic we should ditch every single storyline that isn't Jon, Bran, or Dany. If you don't do magic, you're just a wight waiting to happen, lol.

bitbydeath

Do book readers think that the show runners have overemphasized Ramsay?

I'm not saying changed his character. That much is obvious.

I'm asking if book readers think he's less important in the future books than he is in the show's story.

Yes and no.
The books had less of him because the only POV was Reek who was often off doing his own thing. Where as the show isn't limited in this manner.

Jarmel

Banned
What would they do for the next several episodes though?

The only bigger events are possibly removing the Lannisters wholesale from Westeros or a Whitewalker invasion of the mainland.

Kicking the Boltons out of Winterfell has been made the central storyline of the season.

I could see Episode 9 being the White Walkers invading.

Yes and no.
The books had less of him because the only POV was Reek who was often off doing his own thing. Where as the show isn't limited in this manner.

Being presented only through Reek's POV is what made book Ramsay so great. You had to fill in the depth of his awfulness yourself, which made it so much better.

I realize though that this is not feasible in the show, though.

Faddy

Banned
I was kind of disappointed in Jon's resurrection. I thought we would get the funeral pyre, the Night's Watch stuff "He came to us from Winterfell, the son of Eddard Stark... ...and now his watch is ended" then Melisandre would chant her words to the Red God and throw herself on the pyre to bring back Jon.

Maybe there is another twist and it wasn't Mel who brought him back and we will see that next week.

I was kind of disappointed in Jon's resurrection. I thought we would get the funeral pyre, the Night's Watch stuff "He came to us from Winterfell, the son of Eddard Stark... ...and now his watch is ended" then Melisandre would chant her words to the Red God and throw herself on the pyre to bring back Jon.

Maybe there is another twist and it wasn't Mel who brought him back and we will see that next week.

Thats a bit dramatic.

Faddy

Banned
Thats a bit dramatic.

Better than "oh well that didn't work, let's go" then Jon is alive seconds later.

I mean what was the point of all the Night's Watch "...and now his watch is ended" stuff if they weren't going to use it to release Jon from his vows

Speevy

Banned
I think they're going to kill 2 named characters an episode this season.

Episode 3: Lancel Lannister and Alliser Thorne
Episode 4: Kevan Lannister and Grandmaester Pycelle
Episode 5: Brienne of Tarth and Podrick
Episode 6: Yara Greyjoy and Daario Naharis
Episode 7: Tommen Baratheon and Walder Frey
Episode 8: Jorah Mormont and Varys
Episode 9: Rickon Stark and Ramsay Bolton
Episode 10: Littlefinger and The Three Eyed-Raven

If I'm right about at least two of these, you have to give me a million dollars.

Oh, I'm excited about it, too. I hope they do it justice.

Just have to keep in mind that in the TV show's world, Brienne of Tarth, Jon Snow and shirtless Ramsey are the best single combatants in Westeros. The show-runners don't seem to always agree with GRRM about who the badasses are.

Brienne in the books pretty much was shown as the best fighter. She never lost a one-on-one fight, she won Renly's tournament, she won multiple fights against multiple attackers, and the only time she lost was when she was attacked from behind iirc. For all the "Arthur Dayne was the finest knight I saw" and "Jamie is a badass" thought balloons, we didn't see or hear anything concrete that any knight did that was superior to what Brienne did.

And Jon and Garlan were the only ones who whupped multiple guys at once in training I think.

suzu

They never really bothered with Ghost or wolf dreams (except for Bran) in the show. I think making Jon a warg at this point would seem random.

Speevy

Banned
What if they fucked up and Jon is literally a wolf man?

Like he howls and starts eating off the floor.

"Damn it Melisandre."

bitbydeath

I think they're going to kill 2 named characters an episode this season.

Episode 3: Lancel Lannister and Alliser Thorne
Episode 4: Kevan Lannister and Grandmaester Pycelle
Episode 5: Brienne of Tarth and Podrick
Episode 6: Yara Greyjoy and Daario Naharis
Episode 7: Tommen Baratheon and Walder Frey
Episode 8: Jorah Mormont and Varys
Episode 9: Rickon Stark and Ramsay Bolton
Episode 10: Littlefinger and The Three Eyed-Raven

If I'm right about at least two of these, you have to give me a million dollars.

Olly sits the iron throne?

Olly sits the iron throne?

That actually leads to an interesting scenario if Kevan and Tommen are dead. Who even gets the throne at that point? All the major Baratheon's are dead, all of "Robert's" children are dead, and all of his brother's children are dead. I mean, do they start just going to Lannister's at that point? Hold some kind of tournament? The only person left between the Baratheon's and Lannisters would be... Jaime lol.

Rickon is going to kill Ramsay because the only person more insane than Ramsay will be the Rickon + Shaggydog combo

There'll be a point where Ramsay will go, "damn, even I think that's fucked up"

Massa

What if it turns out that Rickon's been feeding people to Shaggydog. He and Ramsay could bond and become best friends.

Speevy

Banned
The northerners seem evil since Roose took over. I don't even think I'd want to rule the north. They're all mean and sinister. I liked the old northerners.

KahooTs

That actually leads to an interesting scenario if Kevan and Tommen are dead. Who even gets the throne at that point? All the major Baratheon's are dead, all of "Robert's" children are dead, and all of his brother's children are dead. I mean, do they start just going to Lannister's at that point? Hold some kind of tournament? The only person left between the Baratheon's and Lannisters would be... Jaime lol.

Sounds like the sort of situation from which a younger more beautiful queen married to a Lannister might emerge.

Better than "oh well that didn't work, let's go" then Jon is alive seconds later.

I mean what was the point of all the Night's Watch "...and now his watch is ended" stuff if they weren't going to use it to release Jon from his vows

Agree. That scene just fell flat. I don't know if you're version is the way to go, but at least it has more emotional impact that what the show did. Their version just seemed...lazy, like an afterthought. Same with Roose's death.

bitbydeath

Have there been any pictures of what Rickon looks like these days? I'm guessing we won't recognise him anymore since being away 1 1/2 seasons.

Speevy

Banned
Have there been any pictures of what Rickon looks like these days? I'm guessing we won't recognise him anymore since being away 1 1/2 seasons.

rs_634x1024-150616151843-634.-art-game-of-thrones.jpg

ryseing

Sounds like the sort of situation from which a younger more beautiful queen married to a Lannister might emerge.

One that has the backing of one of the most powerful houses in Westeros.

Sure would be a great situation if that person existed.

Yeah but this this logic we should ditch every single storyline that isn't Jon, Bran, or Dany. If you don't do magic, you're just a wight waiting to happen, lol.

I am not saying we should have to rush everything (something that the showrunners have been doing too much since the beginning of season 5)to get to the endgame but you kind of have to focus more in certain characters as storylines conclude or converge and characters get offed. Otherwise you end up with ROTJ situation when half your cast is basically doing something contrived just to keep them there.

JakeD

Couple random thoughts -

The Umbers and Manderlys supporting Ramsay is ridiculous and i will be disappointed if this is not the shows version of the beginning of the Grand Northern Conspiracy. On that same note, the idea of Theon sneaking back into winterfell to be "the ghost" would be amazing.

I liked the subtle resurrection. After reading several years worth of crazy theories about flaming swords and salt and smoke I thought it was perfect.

Has the show given any reason for why the Tyrell's haven't camped an army outside kings landing?

jett

D-Member
I wonder Davos is ever going to find out that Melisandre burned Shireen alive.

Why does Show-Davos give two shits about Jon anyway?

I wonder Davos is ever going to find out that Melisandre burned Shireen alive.

davos is a good bro and jon is a good bro. They will obviously gravitate toward one another. Good men are rare in westeros.

Yeah, I wish they made his attachment to Jon a little more clear. Even just a throwaway line or something. He's just kind of been all-in on protecting Jon from the minute he strolled into Castle Black.

mantidor

Well they did throw one line in the premiere, something along the lines of "I didn't know him, but he was good", or something, I guess for D&D that was enough.

Speevy

Banned
That's Davos' new meme.

The most pragmatic person in the show.

"Jon Snow used to tell me to burn the bodies of people up here or they might come back as wights. I've seen you do evil things to people. I'm pretty sure you sacrificed Shireen. Resurrect Jon Snow with evil red magic."

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, I wish they made his attachment to Jon a little more clear. Even just a throwaway line or something. He's just kind of been all-in on protecting Jon from the minute he strolled into Castle Black.

It kinda feels that the showmakers just believe that the audience will gobble it up since they're both "good guys".

Speevy

Banned
It kinda feels that the showmakers just believe that the audience will gobble it up since they're both "good guys".

"If Stannis was here he'd tell you you're fucking insane, and that's saying something considering he trusted me."
-Melisandre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom