• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Interesting decision establishing why Jon is important after he's resurrected. I thought we weren't going to see him come back until episode four because the show had to establish why he matters first.

Jon isn't important because he's a Targaryen. He's important because he's a thoughtful and noble leader.

How does him getting elected Lord Commander not read as Jon "mattering" to you?

I could see them taking Whent out, he's an extra for the most part. As are the other 5 companions that didn't survive the fight.

I don't see why they would bother doing the scene if they didn't intend to do it justice. Ned is there to retrieve his sister and ends up taking home his nephew and heir to the throne. It's kinda important.

Simple.

Just to show that there was a boy born. They don't need to show that it was Jon yet

Violet_0

Banned
I actually liked Tyrion's journey in Dance, one of the best parts of the book. The North/Winterfell/Stannis are better than the show, too

Gigglepoo

Jon isn't important because he's a Targaryen. He's important because he's a thoughtful and noble leader.

How does him getting elected Lord Commander not read as Jon "mattering" to you?

A lot of people in power have been killed off and stayed dead. If all it took to matter was to be thoughtful and noble, Ned and Stannis would never have died.

Speevy

Banned
I watched Linda's review of the episode.

As usual, she's unwilling to say "Wow, I enjoyed that scene." S

She seems incapable of being entertained by the show.

I did agree on what she said about Davos convincing Melisandre to resurrect Jon, but I thought the rest of the episode was terrific. Even the parts which might have been terrible were solid, like the Winterfell past thing. Of course she glossed over that.

It seems like the showrunners want to give us a lot of thrills before the end of the show, and Linda will keep telling us that those thrills, while technically accurate are not earned.

Is there really a demand for criticism of television or movies that is based on the idea that the foundations of creation must necessarily be wrong.

D and D are hacks at times, but I thought the person who wrote this episode wrote an elegant, well-paced and book-respecting script.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i know it is not fair to judge on a single scene, but the show euron seemed to have about zero charisma, and the book dialogue fell flat as fuck. only makes you dream about what someone like james purefoy would have done with the role.

Speevy

Banned
i know it is not fair to judge on a single scene, but the show euron seemed to have about zero charisma, and the book dialogue fell flat as fuck. only makes you dream about what someone like james purefoy would have done with the role.

James Purefoy is far too handsome to have come from the Greyjoy line.

bitbydeath

D and D are hacks at times, but I thought the person who wrote this episode wrote an elegant, well-paced and book-respecting script.

After the first scene with young hodor I told my wife this episode was already better than the last.

It answered quite a few questions left in the books too like the Jon and Balon scenes, likely the first of many.

Legit hyped for more.

Iksenpets

Banned
I watched Linda's review of the episode.

As usual, she's unwilling to say "Wow,I In enjoyed that scene." S

She seems incapable of being entertained by the show.

I did agree on what she said about Davos convincing Melisandre to resurrect Jon, but I thought the rest of the episode was terrific. Even the parts which might have been terrible were solid, like the Winterfell past thing. Of course she glossed over that.

It seems like the showrunners want to give us a lot of thrills before the end of the show, and Linda will keep telling us that those thrills, while technically accurate are not earned.

Is there really a demand for criticism of television or movies that is based on the idea that the foundations of creation must necessarily be wrong.

The Winterfell flashback went to such care to give fans so much. Plus Tyrion had a story direct from the book, and the Ironborn dialogue was almost entirely a mashup of various book lines the show had previously cut. If it's possible to appeal to book purists in a show that is past the book material, that episode did it.

Gigglepoo

First half of the episode was excellent. The way they handled the Wilding invasion. Bran's flashback, Jamie's conversation with the High Sparrow, everything related to Cecei and the Mountain, and Tyrion's dragon adventure were all handled really well. I was giddy. Until the second half of the episode. I didn't care for Ramsey's scene, Balon's death, or Jon's resurrection. But overall it was a good episode and the first half gives me faith that they understand what they're doing. At least in some areas (King's Landing is going to be great!)

First half of the episode was excellent. The way they handled the Wilding invasion. Bran's flashback, Jamie's conversation with the High Sparrow, everything related to Cecei and the Mountain, and Tyrion's dragon adventure were all handled really well. I was giddy. Until the second half of the episode. I didn't care for Ramsey's scene, Balon's death, or Jon's resurrection. But overall it was a good episode and the first half gives me faith that they understand what they're doing. At least in some areas (King's Landing is going to be great!)

Yup. Also, I enjoyed Theon's scene, too.

Jon's resurrection was a wet fart of a scene.

ZeroRay

Gonna miss Olly when he inevitably gets it. His petulant look the last 2 seasons have been top notch acting. Don't even give a shit his parents got slaughtered and eaten by wildlings.

Gigglepoo

Yup. Also, I enjoyed Theon's scene, too.

I enjoyed it in the moment though I don't really know if I buy what happened. Theon should stick with Sansa. Though I do kind of like the idea that "home" to him is Winterfell and he's going to try to kill Ramsey. That would make sense. But going to the Iron Islands? He doesn't have an attachment to that so I don't understand why he'd want to go there instead of sticking with Sansa and atoning for his sins.

I was still a well-done scene, though. Theon is among the best actors on the show so any scene with him (where he's not being tortured) is usually quite good.

Jon's resurrection was a wet fart of a scene.

I'm stunned that they went with the "everyone leaves the room and then he wakes up" cliche. It's incredible that a scene I've been waiting five years for could be delivered in such an obvious way. Not surprise at all.

I'm stunned that they went with the "everyone leaves the room and then he wakes up" cliche. It's incredible that a scene I've been waiting five years for could be delivered in such an obvious way. Not surprise at all.

You're still expecting any sort of subtlety from D&D?

The scene was ok by show standards.

Now I'm just wondering how the book will play out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bran will warg into a crow/raven and be like "hey Jon you're a Targ". Boom.
If and when it happens he will stop being a Snow or a Stark, and will be promoted to Dragon Jesus.

Moosichu

Probably already been done but:

giphy.gif

AmDfgC.gif

Discussion:

Better than episode 1 imo. Happy they aren't dragging out certain plot threads (Jon Snow), but not so happy about the dragging out of others (Arya).

A lot happened though, and lack of Dorne defo helped with that. Interested to see how closely the Iron Born plot will follow the books.

Having one of the freed dragons fly over to him would be a good tell

Jon Snow dual wielding a wolf and dragon.

Edit: Why is everyone using spoiler tags?

Pretty great interview with Owen Teale aka Ser Alliser Thorne

When did you learn about the twist?

Not from the moment I was involved in [Jon's death], but I knew about… it must have been a year ago now. They phoned me up and told me what the story was going to be, and I wanted it to be as strong as possible. I think this is a very strong story. When they explained it to me, I could see it wasn't just some soap opera. I would would see people wondering, "Is it going to be like Bobby Ewing [from Dallas], waking up in the shower, and it was all a dream?" No. No, no, no. That's ridiculous. It's much better quality drama. It gives much more insight into what it means to be alive. That's what they'll do with that storyline.

Alliser Thorne is a mutton-and-potatoes kind of guy, not someone who strongly believes in the supernatural. How will something like Jon Snow's resurrection shake up Alliser Thorne's world view?

It's going to take a little while to sink in that it's really true, that this has happened. Once he takes that on board, I think the things I just mentioned to you are the things he'll dwell on: "Would you want it? Would you really want to do this again?" I don't think he has that sense of joy about life.

Nodnol

What's Jon's arc this season?

If we're getting a Battle of the Bastards, you think that would be episode 9 material. If so, that's he doing for the 6 episodes till then?

Kain

Damn Olly little pos. After mulling about the episode this afternoon I decided that he is number one on my hate list. So he will probably live through the whole series.

Kain

If we're getting a Battle of the Bastards, you think that would be episode 9 material. If so, that's he doing for the 6 episodes till then?

I think he'll off Ramsay in episode 5-6 and he'll spend the rest of the season prepping for the WW war.

KahooTs

I've got a theory that melisandre's involvement in the resurrection of Jon Snow is a red herring. I think it has more to do with the white walkers than her magic.
Think this guy in the other thread sort of has the idea.

Maybesew

Good question. I'm guessing kings moot, back to dorne for a waste of time, Dany and her plots to escape Vaes Dothrak, and some more kings landing.

Damn Olly little pos. After mulling about the episode this afternoon I decided that he is number one on my hate list. So he will probably live through the whole series.

I dunno, characters created for the show tend to meet their doom sooner or later. I'm guessing he'll be taken out by a party neutral to the internal Night's Watch conflict, like a wight.

yes
I don't think it would matter all that much if Roose or Ramsay sits in Winterfell. Theon and Sansa obviously have every reasons to kill Ramsay, Roose is responsible for the deaths of Catelyn and Rob which is also a strong motive for revenge

I am not questioning their motivation.
Jon has been built up as both a formidable warrior and leader and has a good claim.He is the ideal man to take back the north.
Sansa has mostly been a pawn in someone else's scheme and may eventually become a political player herself thanks to her name and her experience near LF but she still needs someone else to lead from the front for her and that would make for a pretty dull storyline.
Theon is pretty much done with the North. Nobody is going to trust him to take part in a Stark restoration after the sack of Winterfell. They made the right call to get him out of there and get him back into the Ironborn storyline where we can see him try and recover from his ordeal
and hopefully become part of Dany's storyline come next season

Brakke

Banned
A lot of people in power have been killed off and stayed dead. If all it took to matter was to be thoughtful and noble, Ned and Stannis would never have died.

None of this post is answering any of my post.

You said "Interesting decision establishing why Jon is important after he's resurrected." Jon is already well established as important. He's personally touched a bunch of major characters, he's upturned the Watch / Wildling politics, he's one of two people who's killed a Walker, he was elected as one of the youngest Lord Commanders. What more do you need before you call him "important"?

Gigglepoo

What more do you need before you call him "important"?

The reason why so many people were positive Jon was coming back wasn't because he was a good leader. That doesn't matter, as shown by other characters being good and noble but still dying. Jon's value lies in the prophecy and his heritage. That's why we were certain he was coming back. Without those things, Jon is just another character we rooted for being killed in a horrible way.

jdstorm

Banned

I'm guessing with so many other characters to focus on Jon will miss a few episodes. Then 1-2 episodes will be focused on Jon reuniting with Sansa and planning the attack.

MaGlock

I see some hate for balons scene. I thought the dialogue was fantastic. "I am the storm brother" beyond that everyone wondering how jon finds out he is targ. possibly meera taking the place of her father and telling (in the shows version) her father's truth. I mean the child of the forest said her place is out there for the coming war

Nodnol

Good question. I'm guessing kings moot, back to dorne for a waste of time, Dany and her plots to escape Vaes Dothrak, and some more kings landing.

I can see the broad strokes for other characters by combining where they are by 6x02 and what we can infer from the trailers, even without leaks. And whilst what you mention will happen, and will obviously flesh out this season, apart from establishing Nu-Jon, I'm not sure what else he has to do. Take Wildlings and Davos and march, probably towards Winterfell. I have a feeling, after next week's Jon scene(s), they'll drip feed it before a very Jon/Ramsey lead episode.

In terms of Jon's parentage, I would hope he would learn it this season. Unless they establish he can warg, and interact with weirwood.net and thus Bran, I'm inclined to think it'll be through a human character. They seem to want to shy away from the other Stark children being wargs, so my monies on Littlefinger (purely based on THAT look he gave Sansa last season in the crypt; he knows stuff).

MaGlock

I can see the broad strokes for other characters by combining where they are by 6x02 and what we can infer from the trailers, even without leaks. And whilst what you mention will happen, and will obviously flesh out this season, apart from establishing Nu-Jon, I'm not sure what else he has to do. Take Wildlings and Davos and march, probably towards Winterfell. I have a feeling, after next week's Jon scene(s), they'll drip feed it before a very Jon/Ramsey lead episode.

In terms of Jon's parentage, I would hope he would learn it this season. Unless they establish he can warg, and interact with weirwood.net and thus Bran, I'm inclined to think it'll be through a human character. They seem to want to shy away from the other Stark children being wargs, so my monies on Littlefinger (purely based on THAT look he gave Sansa last season in the crypt; he knows stuff).

I like this idea as well. Jonsa and his/her northerners retake winterfell with aid from the vale, little finger explains or jon touch's the godswood

Speevy

Banned
I don't think people are giving the Euron guy a fair shake. I think we should wait until he's having a normal conversation with someone.

Gigglepoo

I don't think people are giving the Euron guy a fair shake. I think we should wait until he's having a normal conversation with someone.

My first thought when I saw Dinklage had been cast as Tyrion was "He's too good looking to play that part!" But it worked out alright. Jorah, too. There's a chance! Good looking people are people too!

Speevy

Banned
Do book readers think that the show runners have overemphasized Ramsay?

I'm not saying changed his character. That much is obvious.

I'm asking if book readers think he's less important in the future books than he is in the show's story.

Nodnol

I like this idea as well. Jonsa and his/her northerners retake winterfell with aid from the vale, little finger explains or jon touch's the godswood

In my head, Sansa and Jon aren't united until she appears over the hill with her own force, akin to the Riders of Rohan at the Battle of Helms Deep. After victory, whilst the men of their armies drink and share tales of victory, Sansa and Jon have a quiet moment in front of the weirwood. Bran watches on, excited to see his brother and sister, cruelly teased by a vision so real and yet so unattainable. From the shadows out steps Littlefinger, who reveals to Jon the story of his parents.

I mean unless they introduce Howland Reed ASAP, how else are they going to let Jon learn the truth. All being said, I just invent crap fan fiction on my head, so what do I know.

ryseing

I think he'll have the North united by the end of the season after defeating Ramsay. He'll gather strength until then- maybe we'll see some mountain clan stuff? I certainly hope so.

It's also weird how Aeron is the youngest brother but looks even older than Balon. That drowned god life takes years off of you.

wtvunrt.png

Have they said specifically that this is Aeron? I remember they said the drowned priest from S2(?) was not him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom