• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
The real question is how do you guys pronounce Kevan?

Kevin
or
Keevan

For some reason I always read/heard it as Keevan in my head when reading the books.
I think in they show it's "Kevin".

What if the "gift" to Ramsay is supposedly Rickon, but it's really just Olly?

And then when Ramsay kills him everyone just kinda shrugs?

The real question is how do you guys pronounce Kevan?

Kevin
or
Keevan

For some reason I always read/heard it as Keevan in my head when reading the books.
I think in they show it's "Kevin".

Keh-van.

It's like "Kevin" except you say "van" at the end.

Iksenpets

Banned

This was a good read. I'm starting to buy the Euron-Bloodraven connection. One thing this write up doesn't touch on is Damphair's traumatic memories of Euron. People have typically assumed it was sexual assault, but if Euron is some superwarg, it's possible that Aeron served as his earliest guinea pig for testing out his talents.

Koko

Banned

Really good read, specially Part IV.

This was a good read. I'm starting to buy the Euron-Bloodraven connection. One thing this write up doesn't touch on is Damphair's traumatic memories of Euron. People have typically assumed it was sexual assault, but if Euron is some superwarg, it's possible that Aeron served as his earliest guinea pig for testing out his talents.

I don't fully buy on Euron being capable of controlling the whole crew of the Silence, but I do agree on him being a Bloodraven's project who went wrong.

Also agree on Damphair's traumatic memories being caused by Euron warging.

Gigglepoo

I do like that we're now supposed to trust a show that was actively lying to each all off season. Why would they reveal any future plot points, no matter how obvious or minor they seem?

Speevy

Banned
Maester Wulkan must be the most chickenshit person in existence.

He could have told anyone what just happened to Roose and within minutes had a giant insurrection happening within Winterfell.

KahooTs

Close. Fire for blood, blood for fire. He wants to fly, and he can, but it doesn't come cheap. He can't just skinchange Drogon, he'll have to pay the price, he'll need to knock Dany up, and the child and himself need be sacrifice. Two kings to wake the dragon, same as Drogo and Rhaego. And Euron will do it, he's that mad enough and he has or will have greyscale and be dying of it anyway, Drogon is the second life fit for a king. And that's the stone beast taking flight from the tower. Euron-Drogon, a dragon with greyscale, that will need awakening from stone.

Kit Harrington: The Iraqi Information Minister

VaNoyG7.jpg

NeoGiff

He could have told anyone what just happened to Roose and within minutes had a giant insurrection happening within Winterfell.

No, they're all unfailingly loyal to Ramsay the bastard. Roose and his invisible bodyguard were literally the only people in Winterfell who didn't realise how all of his men despised him.

Sheroking

I can't really blame the dude.

I wouldn't want to be hung upside down on a sideways cross and flayed alive either. That's the risk he takes by pissing off Ramsay.

Showaddy

Either they've rewritten Dayne's weapon(s) of choice, or restructured the scene so Dayne isn't present. First seems way more likely.
Pretty sure all the filming leaks only showed 2 Kingsguard.

The Sword of the Morning not wielding Dawn makes about as much sense as A Thousand Eyes and One have 2 eyes tbh so could be.

Sheroking

After Dorne, do you really think they'd do it justice?

Eh.

Theon returning to the Iron Islands suggests the power struggle in Pike is going to be more involved than any Dorne storyline. It's pretty obvious what role the Ironborn are going to play in the end-game, and it seems much bigger than either version of Dorne.

RaidenZR

Eh.

Theon returning to the Iron Islands suggests the power struggle in Pike is going to be more involved than any Dorne storyline. It's pretty obvious what role the Ironborn are going to play in the end-game, and it seems much bigger than either version of Dorne.

The Kingsmoot will likely be one scene near the end of the episode. I don't see them making it a big thing in the scheme of things they've already done.

And count me on the side who thinks you'll see the Tower of Joy fight, but we won't hear anything about true confirmation of R+L=J. That seems too nice and neat to just hand over this early in the season.

jdstorm

Banned
Really good read, specially Part IV.

I don't fully buy on Euron being capable of controlling the whole crew of the Silence, but I do agree on him being a Bloodraven's project who went wrong.

Also agree on Damphair's traumatic memories being caused by Euron warging.

Well if warging into someone's head doesn't count as sexual assault in Star Wars it shouldn't in game of thrones right.
Stupid crappy creepy TFA

The Kingsmoot will likely be one scene near the end of the episode. I don't see them making it a big thing in the scheme of things they've already done.

And count me on the side who thinks you'll see the Tower of Joy fight, but we won't hear anything about true confirmation of R+L=J. That seems too nice and neat to just hand over this early in the season.

Yeah. I feel if it was going to happen at the beginning of the season it would have been right before Jon came back to life. It now seems like they'll save it until the end of the season at least.

Talon

The way they talked about shooting at that location for Tower of Joy in the preseason reel makes me think the ToJ scene extends for more than one episode.

Gigglepoo

Given that Rickon is at Last Hearth instead of Skagos, we're probably not going to get unicorns. I'm
Still holding out hope for a kraken, though.

Speevy

Banned
I hope all of Euron's scenes are just him staring crazily into space, saying various philosophical things while people get brutally murdered.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
There will be differences because that's how writing works. No matter how you plot out a story, there will always be some spontaneous elements that you'll run with. I have no doubt that Martin has a plot and plan, but I almost guarantee that by the time he gets to A Dream of Spring, things will have organically changed.

It's part of the fun of writing. I used to meticulously plan out my plots and narratives, but over the course of the story, sometimes characters just do what they're going to do, even shit you never intended. It's fun, and scary. It's why I'm not so perturbed by the show passing the books. No matter what, we are going to get a different experiences and some surprises. I'm really interested in seeing how the show and books differ when they're eventually released.

Gigglepoo

Martin has even said that he approaches writing like a gardener. He plants the seeds and let's the characters grow how they will. I'm sure he had a generally idea for Arya or Dorne or Catlyn or whoever that's now changed into something completely different.

It's probably better that the show has passed the books. Now we can see what D&D want these characters to do instead of adapting an already written story.

I just hope we get another adaption after Martin finished his story.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Assuming the Twoer of Joy scenes are a Bran vision, I have to admit I never thought that he might be the one who could go tell Jon about it. I've always looked to Howland.

And I will freely admit I love the fan theory that he's posing at the High Sparrow and would love for him to tell the story to Cersei before killing her.

Everyone complaining about Dayne's choice of weapon(s) needs to realize that his character is meaningless to anyone who hasn't read the books. Aside from book readers, the audience just wants an awesome battle. They don't care if he has Dawn or not. You are all critical of the dialogue in the show and how they have to drive certain points home. What do you think ToJ would be?

"I am Sir Arthur Dayne, Kingsguard, Sword of the Morning, Targaryen loyalist, brother to Ashara Dayne, your old crush Ned Stark, and I am the Sword of the Morning. They call me the Sword of the Morning because I have a special sword called Dawn. This is Dawn in my hand. It is special. And now it begins."

And then he proceeds to die. There is no way that the show can accurately depict Arthur Dayne and Dawn at this point to make their legacy apparent to show watchers. There's no point in trying.

Sheroking

I'm not sure about the Kingsmoot itself, but I would expect the struggle between Euron and Yara to go on for more than one episode or scene, and for Theon's return to be central to that plot-line.

The trailer suggests Yara makes her way to Volantis at some point in the season, possible looking for help?

maybe a john locke "resurrection"?

Based on the tenor of the EW interviews, I'm going with no. It's Jon.

Gigglepoo

There is no way that the show can accurately depict Arthur Dayne and Dawn at this point to make their legacy apparent to show watchers. There's no point in trying.

I'm really confused by your position. What does the show gain by giving Arthur Dayne a weapon other than Dawn? They don't have to explain his history or the sword's significance, but if you're trying to create a show with characters with depth, a real backstory, than you go all out. It's attitudes like this that leads to the shortcuts and dead ends that have plagued the show.

Zabka

Everyone complaining about Dayne's choice of weapon(s) needs to realize that his character is meaningless to anyone who hasn't read the books. Aside from book readers, the audience just wants an awesome battle. They don't care if he has Dawn or not. You are all critical of the dialogue in the show and how they have to drive certain points home. What do you think ToJ would be?

"I am Sir Arthur Dayne, Kingsguard, Sword of the Morning, Targaryen loyalist, brother to Ashara Dayne, your old crush Ned Stark, and I am the Sword of the Morning. They call me the Sword of the Morning because I have a special sword called Dawn. This is Dawn in my hand. It is special. And now it begins."

And then he proceeds to die. There is no way that the show can accurately depict Arthur Dayne and Dawn at this point to make their legacy apparent to show watchers. There's no point in trying.
What the hell are you talking about. People are complaining because they're (potentially) taking a minor character and making him less interesting. They don't need to explain anything. Just have him show up, pull out a badass, unique sword and kick a whole bunch of ass.

I'm really confused by your position. What does the show gain by giving Arthur Dayne a weapon other than Dawn? They don't have to explain his history or the sword's significance, but if you're trying to create a show with characters with depth, a real backstory, than you go all out. It's attitudes like this that leads to the shortcuts and dead ends that have plagued the show.

I don't think the show gains anything by depicting Arthur Dayne with a weapon other than Dawn. I just don't think it loses anything either. HBO and D&D aren't making it a secret that they're not trying to adapt the books as closely as they can. They probably looked at this scene and said "80% of our viewers won't care about the sword that this character who the audience has never heard of and is in one scene is using." And honestly, if he is the only character in the series that dual-wields swords, that will stick with them more than the aesthetics of his sword. Most viewers wouldn't even recognize Ice or Longclaw.

I don't think the show gains anything by depicting Arthur Dayne with a weapon other than Dawn. I just don't think it loses anything either. HBO and D&D aren't making it a secret that they're not trying to adapt the books as closely as they can. They probably looked at this scene and said "80% of our viewers won't care about the sword that this character who the audience has never heard of and is in one scene is using." And honestly, if he is the only character in the series that dual-wields swords, that will stick with them more than the aesthetics of his sword. Most viewers wouldn't even recognize Ice or Longclaw.

Pretty much. It'd be cool if Arthur Dayne was in there wielding his famous sword. But D&D don't really care much about the book details. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll surprise, but I doubt it.

As a swordsman facing 3 to 1 odds (from the preview trailers) having a sword in each hand is a heck of a lot more practical than having just one sword (even if it is huge).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom