• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any confidence in seeing Dawn. Arthur Dayne has two swords; why would you need two if one of them is made out of a fallen star? I think this is D&D not wanting to fill in backstory (which is admittedly difficult without having a character explain it--though was there ever a scene where Jaime mentions Dayne to Loras, as in the books, that they could show before the episode?) and are substituting two swords instead. I'm sure they're thinking, "What's more badass than two swords?"

I'm so glad people who don't really care about the books are adapting it for television.

I feel like they went in wanting to do a pretty close adaptation, but the reality of production got in the way. And at this point they're just overworked and just want to get out, and the small details as they see them, don't matter.

Edit: but also, by they're own account, the pilot was a disaster and they fucked up a bunch, so maybe they just suck..

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Martin has even said that he approaches writing like a gardener. He plants the seeds and let's the characters grow how they will. I'm sure he had a generally idea for Arya or Dorne or Catlyn or whoever that's now changed into something completely different.

It's probably better that the show has passed the books. Now we can see what D&D want these characters to do instead of adapting an already written story.

I just hope we get another adaption after Martin finished his story.

Yeah, exactly. When a story is super plotted to the tiniest detail, it feels very stiff and technical. Characters begin to feel like they are being forced to bend to your plot, instead of the characters natural actions/reactions dictating the plot. At the very least, a first draft is cool to do all your right plotting, but I think in rewrites it's nice to not be beholden to your right outline. By the end of your first draft, you'll have a better understanding of your characters as well. I learned that when I finished the first draft of my novel and re-read it after a few months and was like, "Sweet Jesus this is...something. Oh lord." When I get the time to go into another draft of it, I have a better grasp of the characters, and have already made notes on where I'm going to expand the plot and concepts. It's a lot of fun, but stressful.

Martin is a fascinating writer to me because of the depth of his characters and plotting. It makes my writing look like a grade school coloring book. It's intimidating and inspiring. I'm an artist, so I don't exercise my writing skills as much, but i try to squeeze it in when I'm not drawing, and reading as many different authors as I can. The stories I write I mainly do for fun and practice. Its been super helpful when writing the scripts for my comics, for sure, though.

I'm also curious if we will get another adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire at some point in the future. I personally think this adaptation has been better than I ever imagined when I first heard of it. I was a noob to the books before the show, but started reading them when Season 1 was airing. I was holding off watching the show until I finished the first book, but then an asshole coworker spoiled the first book for me, so I just watched season 1 in conjunction with reading the book. It was an interesting way to take it in. I them finished all of the remaining books in between seasons 1 and 2. It may not be a page perfect adaptation, but it's better than television had any right of producing back then.

A new adaptation actually has enough material that could surprise show only people who maybe only know GoT from this show. The sad thing is that I think by the time a "reboot" series of GoT happens, I'll be too old. I'm already 36, and I can't see a new adaptation happening in less than 20 years. Lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm surprised they aren't using Bran to flashback to the tourney of Harrenhal. Unless they plan to go back to that?

Massa

I'm so glad people who don't really care about the books are adapting it for television.

That's a large jump to make from that comment, no? Too cynical even for this thread. The weapon choice is a detail, and if their choreographer thinks they can make a better fight with dual wielding compared to a large sword it becomes a question of being faithful to a small book detail versus making a better show.

What do you make of the rumors about WoW coming out this month?
Personally I don't believe it, but I hope the book will come out soon, with Jon remaining dead and Stannis still alive, as should be.
Then it's just 5 more years until we finally get the closure we desreve.

Gigglepoo

I feel like they went in wanting to do a pretty close adaptation, but the reality of production got in the way. And at this point they're just overworked and just want to get out, and the small details as they see them, don't matter.

Edit: but also, by they're own account, the pilot was a disaster and they fucked up a bunch, so maybe they just suck..

It's probably incredibly difficult and stressful to run GoT. There hasn't been a more obsessive fan base in the history of television and there's no way to please everyone. I feel for the showrunners. Still, it's surprising how sloppy and shallow the storytelling is at times. It often feels they're antagonist against the fans who want nothing more than the show to be great. But they would rather take shortcuts than make this show as good as possible.

The sword doesn't matter at all. It's just a sword. But it is emblematic of their process. They take the path of least resistance. The fewest characters, the simplest plot, the least nuance and depth. It's unfortunate.

duckroll

The sword doesn't matter at all. It's just a sword. But it is emblematic of their process. They take the path of least resistance. The fewest characters, the simplest plot, the least nuance and depth. It's unfortunate.

It's true, but at the same time, this is the 6th season. If the show is still popular and it's this late into the game, you're going to keep doing what you're doing since it clearly works. Also, dual wielding is just cool to lots of people! Some even think it's practical! :)

Gigglepoo

It's true, but at the same time, this is the 6th season. If the show is still popular and it's this late into the game, you're going to keep doing what you're doing since it clearly works. Also, dual wielding is just cool to lots of people! Some even think it's practical! :)

Like I said, I don't care about the sword. I guess I'm just disappointed by popular media in general. It seems like things often have to be dumbed down or geared toward a younger audience for them to really break into the mainstream. It's a trend that bums me out. A Song if Ice and Fire isn't Nabokov or anything, but it would have been cool to see an attempt to translate it to another medium without so many compromises.

Game of Thrones is good but I just wish we demanded more from our entertainment. Though at the same time, sometimes it's just fun to watch tits and dragons.

EDIT -- Preston Jacobs does a good job talking about my problems with the show in his Q&A video today. Why he likes the show but misses the deeper layers from the book. http://youtu.be/t6U1dCoY2vw

"The book is like a great, solvable riddle. The show is like Bilbo's riddle 'what do I have in my pocket?'" Good analogy.

Is there a good companion book for this series?

Maybe it will come after it's all done. But I'd love some encyclopedia of characters, places, thing, etc along with art

I'd buy the entire collection if that happens as opposed to reading it just on my ereader

Massa

Maybe it will come after it's all done. But I'd love some encyclopedia of characters, places, thing, etc along with art

I'd buy the entire collection if that happens as opposed to reading it just on my ereader

You should check out The World of Ice and Fire (and the Dunk & Egg novels if you haven't yet).

duckroll

For the books or the show? I'm not sure if there's anything specifically for the show, but there are some great companion books for the book series.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553805444/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345538544/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For the books or the show? I'm not sure if there's anything specifically for the show, but there are some great companion books for the book series.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553805444/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345538544/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The books. I make damn well sure to not confuse the two threads lol

Im only on book 3. I glaze over some of the dryer histories but dream of a companion book full of art and colour that has names, timelines, family trees, descriptions of things like battles and things.

I don't imagine thatd be an easy thing to produce

Thanks for the links

Gigglepoo

Would you want to see an adaptation of Lolita where she is a true-to-the-book 12-years-old?

Ha! Probably a bad idea. There are some things that don't work in other mediums. I didn't have a problem with them aging up the characters in GoT. I guess my principles are lax about certain things.

duckroll

The books. I make damn well sure to not confuse the two threads lol

Im only on book 3. I glaze over some of the dryer histories but dream of a companion book full of art and colour that has names, timelines, family trees, descriptions of things like battles and things.

I don't imagine thatd be an easy thing to produce

Thanks for the links

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/world-of-ice-and-fire-sample/

I think you'll really like this book.

There are definitely people who are mad that this isn't the case with regard to a bunch of characters in the tv show lol
I always thought that was one thing the show done objectively better. I think I even remember the big man himself saying that he wished he had wrote certain characters much older.

Apt101

Man if Arthur Dayne isn't carrying Dawn that will suck. If he replaces the dual-wielding Oswell Whent that will be even worse. Like when del Toro turned Karl Ruprecht Kroenen into some kind of ninja Nazi.

Gigglepoo

I always thought that was one thing the show done objectively better. I think I even remember the big man himself saying that he wished he had wrote certain characters much older.

He was also planning a five-year jump so people would be aged properly. So, yeah, I think everyone is happy that Dany isn't 14.

Wow, the viewer numbers didn't drop too much in E2. Seems like S5 didn't do anything to hit the series popularity but I cannot see it rising in S7. I think this is the peak season for them unless the viewers absolutely crater now that the Jon Snow ''question'' is solved.

Wow, the viewer numbers didn't drop too much in E2. Seems like S5 didn't do anything to hit the series popularity but I cannot see it rising in S7. I think this is the peak season for them unless the viewers absolutely crater now that the Jon Snow ''question'' is solved.

If S6 doesn't end with White Walkers having run over Castle Black, Wall and parts of the North I would be very disappointed.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm just waiting for HBO Now to come to PS4 before I subscribe. I pretty much only watch TV through my console these days (I don't have cable!). Between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, I feel pretty covered as far as television. I haven't seen this new season yet, but I'm enjoying reading both threads and the reactions to the show. I'm not sensitive to GoT spoilers.

Also, I enjoyed season 5 of the show. I finally got to binge it two weeks ago, and my lord do I feel the reactions to it were hyperbolic as fuck. It certainly wasn't as good as seasons 1, 3, and 4, but it was an entertaining season for the most part. The first few episodes were slow, but it certainly picked up from episodes 4-10. Solid season. This one sounds fun too, but I like waiting until the season is complete before I watch them all.

I'm of the camp that think that D&D truly love Song of Ice and Fire, but the reality of production forces you to make changes. Besides, they aren't writing or directing every episode of the show, so I can't place the blame on poor episodes on them completely. Not every show has a flawless run. Some of my favorite shows of all time have stinker episodes. The 10 episode format of GoT is bound to be a double edged sword, especially when it's a 10 episode format adapting an existing work that is thousands and thousands of pages long. I imagine they have many a meeting where hair is being pulled out, and cigarettes and booze are being passed around in copious amounts. As a fan of the books and show, I can only hope that I'm entertained by wha they've managed to produce. On the whole, after 50 episodes, I have to say I can't complain. They're doing really really good in my book. Film and television production, especially something on the scale of GoT, is a madhouse. I'm impressed at what the cast and crew of the show have been able to execute, to the best of their abilities, for five, now six, seasons. I just can't cosign this notion that the show runners are sitting at their desks, cackling with glee about how they can mangle this awesome piece of fiction and rile up the fans. Most creative people go into a work with the intention of creating the best thing they are able to create, and hope that it will entertain. D&D and company don't have it in for GoT fans. They're just doing their job as best they can, and considering how large, and passionate the ASOIAF fanbase is, there was no way they'd please everyone. I'm not 100% happy with the show, but it's not like it's Legend of the Seeker tier(which is actually a fun, entertaining, campy, very Sam Raimi Xena/Hercules style show, but is an absolutely horrible adaptation of the source material).

Personally I don't believe it, but I hope the book will come out soon, with Jon remaining dead and Stannis still alive, as should be.

My reaction was to roll my eyes. I do think it will release at some point this year though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is it up now on HBO Go? I looked yesterday and this morning, and I can't find it.

From memory, I think I hit the little arrow button by the episodes (near the little TV-MA letters), and it took me to a separate page, with promo's, inside the episode, and this longer BTS show.

I was looking around for this show, and was sure it was something locked to that Now service, because it's pretty hidden on Go.

From memory, I think I hit the little arrow button by the episodes (near the little TV-MA letters), and it took me to a separate page, with promo's, inside the episode, and this longer BTS show.

I was looking around for this show, and was sure it was something locked to that Now service, because it's pretty hidden on Go.
Hmmm, I still can't find it on the web app, but I'm sure it's there somewhere. You'd think they would make the additional content a little easier to access. Thanks!

Kain

I think upping the age of the children for the show was a great decision. I mean, Dany... ugh. The fun part is that in the books she's basically behaving like a spoiled teenager, because in a sense she is, but in the show she's an adult. WHERE ARE MAH DRAGONZ

What rumors? It's impossible. I expect a "surprise" announcement in summer that the book will be ready for Christmas at the least.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hmmm, I still can't find it on the web app, but I'm sure it's there somewhere. You'd think they would make the additional content a little easier to access. Thanks!

Found it through the ipad app. Haven't looked to see if it was on the webpage.

Brakke

Banned
Right. They made a bad pilot and then trashed it and ultimately released a good pilot. So what are we implying from that?

ZeroRay

They do, you can talk shit about their adaptation, but they do love the books. They just like certain elements of them more than others.

Though I might have preferred what you wrote if we got better TV writers out of it :p

NeoGiff

I think that's a significant change in attitude. Remember in season 2 when
Qhorin taught him that his death is the best contribution he can give the Watch? Now Jon has been there, and he never wants to go back. I can see a very pragmatic, more selfish (in an ultimately benevolent sense) Jon going forward in the season

Apt101

it doesnt sound like it changes him at all
he fears death now? not really something big

I think it is. He was a classical hero before like his "father" Eddard, perhaps now he'll be more measured like Roose, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom