• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
it doesnt sound like it changes him at all
he fears death now? not really something big

To me, I think it'll be what drives him to go on the offensive, rather than just wait for the war to come to them, which is what it looked like he was doing before his death. I also imagine he'll go south, to not only gather all the people to fight the WW, but also to selfishly get rid of the Bolton's and free Winterfell.

it doesnt sound like it changes him at all
he fears death now? not really something big
Yeah, plus it's not really something unique to his character either. It's exactly how Beric described feeling in Season 3, not some new or drastic revelation that he makes it sound. But maybe it will be what finally drives him to leave the Watch and go after his family.

Lothar

Banned

I was hoping it would be the opposite.
Jon would become the ultimate badass because he wouldn't fear death anymore or anything.

If he really died and came back, he wouldn't have been seeing nothing and experiencing oblivion. He would just think he closed his eyes and then he opened them again.

D & D never turns down the chance to turn a character atheist or say religious beliefs are bullshit. I'm atheist but that feels bizarre in that world where everything supernatural is real.

Can someone explain why
Grey Bore
needs to be a character with any focus?
If it's about having more colour in the cast just give me more Sallador or something. Or fuck, Areo Hot... oh, right.

Massa

Can someone explain why
Grey Bore
needs to be a character with any focus?
If it's about having more colour in the cast just give me more Sallador or something. Or fuck, Areo Hot... oh, right.

I always thought the Unsullied were among the most interesting things about the books. People completely stripped away of their humanity.

ZeroRay

I like the idea of a more fearful Jon. Means he will be less hesitant to chop up heads if he sees a threat rather than just sitting idly by.

I hope Kevan dies late season. I want more screentime for him and I'm a bit tired about these rapid fire deaths this season. Give it a rest for a while willya!

Speevy

Banned
I hope Kevan dies late season. I want more screentime for him and I'm a bit tired about these rapid fire deaths this season. Give it a rest for a while willya!

If trends continue, the entire small council and the Mountain will sit around and do nothing.

I feel like the last image of this season will be the White Walkers bringing down the Wall.

Also are we expecting anything to happen with Sam or is his arc basically done?

Faddy

Banned
I feel like the last image of this season will be the White Walkers bringing down the Wall.

Also are we expecting anything to happen with Sam or is his arc basically done?

Sam definitely has more to do. He is going to Old Town get some maester training, read some books, learn some stuff that will help in the end.

In regards to the EW article on Jon's post-death outlook:

I really don't like this "fearing death" angle & I was thinking about possible outcomes and pieced together my favorite path towards the end of this season:

- The piece Jon loses is his past. Has no ties to any family at all, doesn't remember Ned or the Starks. Like being reborn with no memory.

- This gives the flashbacks a reason. Because we get to see his real past just as he probably hopes to learn. Makes sense as to why we've rarely had them in previous seasons.

- Also how fucking weird would it be to just wake up from a coma like that & have everyone treat you like a God/Leader with know knowledge of why. Puts in perspective whats worth fighting for.

- AND IN MY DREAM SCENARIO! Arya becomes an elite assassin but the Many Faced God is on the same side as the Sparrows leading to Jon becoming a target to her unknowingly. 1v1 faceoff, Arya forced to break her training oaths, Jon struggling to understand who she is, especially after they were like BFFs (This is off my Battle for Kings Landing theory. Battle of the Bastards, Whitewalkers force Jon South, starts a battle w/ Lannisters/Sparrows at the same time, Denarys saves the day)

Ugh. I can dream.

Kozak

Banned
If Jon lost his memory, it would make us question why Catelyn, after lying in a moat for days with a slit throat, had knowledge of the people and houses that betrayed her family and self.

I can imagine the nit picking.

Speevy

Banned
Kit Harrington: So now he's left-handed, which is cool. I always wanted to be left-handed.

Let's see what else. Oh yes, he's gay now. Fans of the straight Jon Snow will have to get used to this change.

Let's see...he is possessed by the soul of Shireen Baratheon. So that's a nice change. We missed her.

He can only walk backwards. That makes those swordfights more difficult.

News Bot

Banned
If Jon lost his memory, it would make us question why Catelyn, after lying in a moat for days with a slit throat, had knowledge of the people and houses that betrayed her family and self.

I can imagine the nit picking.

And Beric. He only lost his memories because he was revived six times. The first loss wouldn't be so big.

Drazgul

And Beric. He only lost his memories because he was revived six times. The first loss wouldn't be so big.

And who's to say that's a given with resurrection to begin with, could've just been Thoros's ineptitude / lack of Light mojo, Jon being special, Beric not being special etc. Do the books or other material by George ever go into it in detail?

Gigglepoo

And who's to say that's a given with resurrection to begin with, could've just been Thoros's ineptitude / lack of Light mojo, Jon being special, Beric not being special etc. Do the books or other material by George ever go into it in detail?

Here's a quote from an Entertainment Weekly interview:

"Lady Stoneheart is not Cateyln. I’ve tried to set it up beforehand with Beric Dondarrion and his repeated [resurrections]. There’s a brief appearance by Beric in Book One and he rides into the city and he’s this flamboyant Southern knight. That’s not that man we meet later on.”

"One of the things I wanted to show with her is that the death she suffered changes you.”

Drazgul

Would be amusing if Jon turned out to be Lord Stoneheart, but I think the show at least will have him be relatively unscathed by the whole ordeal.

Pkaz01

Time travel and memory loss are my most hated things in tv shows and movies. Jon loses his memory id rather have him have stayed dead

Kozak

Banned
Here's a quote from an Entertainment Weekly interview:

"Lady Stoneheart is not Cateyln. I’ve tried to set it up beforehand with Beric Dondarrion and his repeated [resurrections]. There’s a brief appearance by Beric in Book One and he rides into the city and he’s this flamboyant Southern knight. That’s not that man we meet later on.”

"One of the things I wanted to show with her is that the death she suffered changes you.”

As much as that interview clears it up, I wish it was communicated better in the actual books and show.

I almost don't want to accept GRRM's clarification purely because it was poorly communicated.

FYI, for those looking for the "Game Revealed" segment on HBO GO (I know Cornballer was asking, probably a few others) it's tied to the 'Home' episode as an extra. So, navigate to the episode and in the extras section where you typically see the inside the episode and preview, it'll be there.

Gigglepoo

As much as that interview clears it up, I wish it was communicated better in the actual books and show.

I almost don't want to accept GRRM's clarification purely because it was poorly communicated.

He had Beric explain his loss of memory and how each time he came he felt like he was missing a piece of himself. And then he went one step further with Lady Stoneheart to hammer home that their changes run so deep that they are now different people. Same with The Mountain becoming Robert Strong.

I thought the combination of personality and name changes cemented the idea that death and resurrection create a fundamental change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom