• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
He had Beric explain his loss of memory and how each time he came he felt like he was missing a piece of himself. And then he went one step further with Lady Stoneheart to hammer home that their changes run so deep that they are now different people. Same with The Mountain becoming Robert Strong.

I thought the combination of personality and name changes cemented the idea that death and resurrection create a fundamental change.

Except everyone who is resurrected still seems to recollect who their allegiance is to, who their enemies are and their mission.

Man, coming back from the dead would change you regardless. I'm happy to accept that. I'm not accepting that the magic was the cause of the change.

Gigglepoo

Man, coming back from the dead would change you regardless. I'm happy to accept that. I'm not accepting that the magic was the cause of the change.

Totally agree. Martin didn't say it was a magical change, either. It's like waking from a coma and being disoriented and confused. But that change does happen to everyone who comes back which means resurrection is extremely traumatic.

Kozak

Banned
Totally agree. Martin didn't say it was a magical change, either. It's like waking from a coma and being disoriented and confused. But that change does happen to everyone who comes back which means resurrection is extremely traumatic.

I'm definitely down with resurrection being extremely traumatic.

I think Jon's revival expressed that too.

FootballFan

i want him to show an extremely cold and heartless attitude toward anybody that stands in his way in defeating the threat
better?

Turin

Banned
I recall Beric seemed emotionally numb and kind of detached from the world he's in. More in the book than in the show.

I've been expecting that from Jon to a lesser extent. His memory's of the past life all basically there but much more distant, like they happened 20-30 years ago.

Apt101

I recall Beric seemed emotionally numb and kind of detached. More in the book than in the show.

I've been expecting that from Jon to a lesser extent. His memory's of the past life all basically there but much more distant, like they happened 20-30 years ago.

Beric became more narrow and focused. He eventually was only living to fight those who were warring in, wherever, the Riverlands? He lost any kind of wide perspective he had on life, the kingdom, and the war. It can be argued that given enough resurrections he would have been indistinguishable from a wight. Living to fight with no humanity left. LSH is already pretty damn close - "she" exists to punish specific people. Nothing more.

The question in the books, is how will John moving into Ghost affect things. Since his 'soul' so to speak would not have moved on, he may make it through the resurrection in better shape than most. This is something a lot of people ignore, and the show kinda hinted at a Ghost connection, so we'll see.

Either way, I'm not expecting a huge change from John in the show. I think it will be superficial at best.

Apt101

The question in the books, is how will John moving into Ghost affect things. Since his 'soul' so to speak would not have moved on, he may make it through the resurrection in better shape than most. This is something a lot of people ignore, and the show kinda hinted at a Ghost connection, so we'll see.

Either way, I'm not expecting a huge change from John in the show. I think it will be superficial at best.

I think Bran is going to help guide Jon's soul back to his mortal form in the books. Ghost may be a component of the journey.

Gigglepoo

We don't ignore it. Varamyr and Jojen both talk about how inhabiting another animal's body changes you.
And the longer you're in another's body, the more like that creature you become.

News Bot

Banned
He had Beric explain his loss of memory and how each time he came he felt like he was missing a piece of himself. And then he went one step further with Lady Stoneheart to hammer home that their changes run so deep that they are now different people. Same with The Mountain becoming Robert Strong.

I thought the combination of personality and name changes cemented the idea that death and resurrection create a fundamental change.

Catelyn never "changed." She was always a bit of a bitch. Then she and her family were slaughtered. Her "transformation" isn't so much a product of her resurrection as it is a natural response to her experiences. She doesn't forget anything, that we know of. I think people misunderstand what George means by them becoming different people. Narratively they do, because he doesn't like someone coming back from the dead the same as before they died.

More episode loglines from HBO:

May 15th:
Book of the Stranger

Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) strikes a deal. Jorah (Iain Glen) and Daario (Michiel Huisman) undertake a difficult task. Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and Cersei (Lena Headey) try to improve their situation. Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Dan Sackheim
May 22nd:
The Door

Tyrion seeks a strange ally. Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) learns a great deal. Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) goes on a mission. Arya (Maisie Williams) is given a chance to prove herself. Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Jack Bender.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if there is a magic decoder ring for what these cryptic words mean that they use in every episode.

Like "learns a secret" means "get killed", "makes a deal" means the other party is going to betray them.

gspec

Might not be important to the overall story but a reveal
of what really happened with Lyanna at the tournament at Harrenhal
?

that is not really important to show in the tv show maybe the book. It has been alluded to that she may have been the mystery knight that defend Holland Reed at the tournament and that Rhaeghar went looking for the Knight and found Lyanna as the knight and took her because of a passage from a book he read.

hoos30

?

I hope not. The dichotomy between what we are told and "what really happened" there is one of the nicest touches of the entire book series and would be damn tough to pull off on camera.

fuzzyset

?

Considering they teased
TOJ
in the season 6 trailers, I would be surprised if that is in this season given it would be a huge scene.

That's a cool poster. Someone on Reddit mentioned you can see Ramsay feel Roose up when they hug looking to see if he's wearing chainmail. Nice touch.

Gigglepoo

The Door is going to reveal that there aren't any red doors (or lemon trees) in Bravos. Dany is a secret Dayne raised in Lys confirmed!

Speevy

Banned
I'm curious about one of Roose's final lines to Ramsay.

He tells him that if he gets a reputation as a mad dog, he'll be taken out back and slaughtered for pig feed.

Then he says "You'll always be my blood."

Did I read into that to mean that while he will honor his son's title, he will not inherit Winterfell? Or is he simply trying to keep Ramsay from doing what he knows he's about to do? Does Roose intend to kill Ramsay out of fear?

I'm curious about one of Roose's final lines to Ramsay.

He tells him that if he gets a reputation as a mad dog, he'll be taken out back and slaughtered for pig feed.

Then he says "You'll always be my blood."

Did I read into that to mean that while he will honor his son's title, he will not inherit Winterfell? Or is he simply trying to keep Ramsay from doing what he knows he's about to do? Does Roose intend to kill Ramsay out of fear?

He says "you'll always be my firstborn". So he did mean for Ramsay to inherit Winterfell... At least for now.

CassSept

'Book of the Stranger' is certainly a curious title.

Second episode was an improvement but damn, if I didn't read the books Balon's death would have been confusing. A previously unseen(/unmentioned) brother suddenly appearing out of nowhere is soap opera-level.

Speevy

Banned

Second episode was an improvement but damn, if I didn't read the books Balon's death would have been confusing. A previously unseen(/unmentioned) brother suddenly appearing out of nowhere is soap opera-level.

A brother half his age. Iron islanders do plow the fields.

I would have preferred a faceless man do it. But what you gonna do?

Speevy

Banned
Killing Balon is an excellent way to introduce Euron. It makes absolutely no sense, but if you're going to make an introduction, why not throw Balon Greyjoy off a bridge?

It was implied that Euron likely had something to do with Balon falling off that bridge. I'm pretty sure Asha/Yara voiced those suspicions in the books.

Gigglepoo

'Second episode was an improvement but damn, if I didn't read the books Balon's death would have been confusing. A previously unseen(/unmentioned) brother suddenly appearing out of nowhere is soap opera-level.

The show really struggles with exposition/explanation. Every book reader seemed to adore Bran's visit but the show watchers I've read and heard were confused and didn't have any emotional connection to the characters. It's a shame because there are great scenes that only a fraction of the viewers really care about.

But the second episode was a significant improvement over the first. It's a wonder what removing Dorne can do! Though now that Jon is awake I'm much less interested in the North's story. I figure that Jon and Davos will rally the Northern Houses and then defeat Ramsay in a war. So there's no real surprise there.

King's Landing, though, is a major wildcard. I imagine that Loras will die but I also think that Maegery will become pious (or pretend to be) but those two events can't both happen. Or can they? And I also think Cersei is going to be the one to kill Tommen. And then there's The Mountain... maybe The Mountain kills Tommen 'protecting' Cersei? I don't know what to think!

I would have preferred a faceless man do it. But what you gonna do?

Nah, it's all about Jason Mallister in the books.

Nah, it's all about Jason Mallister in the books.

The Ghost of High Heart predicted this in Storm of Swords.

“I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag. I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks. All this I dreamt, and more.”

I mean, that seems pretty clear to me. Euron hired a faceless man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom