• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

leng jai

Is it possible to have a heart attack from being too scared? These jump scares
from the Wonderkin (sp?)
are ridiculous.

Lime

It would be cool if Supermassive had integrated player statistics on the choices. I liked that part about the Telltale games.

hesido

Depends on your action,
they can either die alone quickly or they can all come together at the end.....to die together
. Ha ha, J/K! Or am I?

I think it's the part where
the Wendigos can mimic other people to lure their prey.

I meant to ask, do the survivors gather in the end, so with each missing they have a different ending scene, which requires 255 combinations on that final scene alone, if my math is not spectacularly deceiving me.

I'm glad this game is reviewing well and the vast majority of people are enjoying it.

I do wonder how many copies it will need to sell to be financially profitable though. The game was in development before 2009 started so it has been at least six years in the making. The Killzone engine probably saved a lot of money, but still, long development.

I can see Sony doing well from the game around Halloween. Run a few trailers in the movies for the game, maybe do a special bundle deal for it.

I'm glad this game is reviewing well and the vast majority of people are enjoying it.

I do wonder how many copies it will need to sell to be financially profitable though. The game was in development before 2009 started so it has been at least six years in the making. The Killzone engine probably saved a lot of money, but still, long development.

I can see Sony doing well from the game around Halloween. Run a few trailers in the movies for the game, maybe do a special bundle deal for it.

I always thought this game would release around Halloween, as you say I can see this getting another push around then. If I was a betting man I would say Until Dawn will be game of the week on PS store over Halloween.

It does seem to have had a good release. Its getting plenty of adverts on UK tv now, I think I watched the PS4 + Until Dawn for £299.99 advert featuring gamers screaming in the dark about 10 times over the weekend.

Hostile_18

Banned
Must admit this is the first game I've noticed non Playstation owners talk about a lot this gen. Think it has more mass market appeal than Bloodborne did (despite also been a very good game).

Yeah it is definitely reaching out of the traditional crowd.

Both my mother and my sister were in conversation about it.I had to do a double take. My sister is at University and in lieu of something like the Wii being available for party games and an appetite to move on from waggle, they were considering buying a PS4 and this for a shared experience game.

Maybe all those years of her watching me play Resident Evil have paid off...

My mum already bought a PS4 as when I moved out they were without a PlayStation which was always the default DVD/BD player in the front room. They now use NowTV and Netfix so they went with what they are comfortable with. My dad yearns for Gran Turismo...

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't get the Emily hate, she's my favorite character.

Sure she's bitchy, but at least she's not
a psychopath like Mike and Ashley.

Emily
went through so much shit, and she survived on her own through the most brutal parts in the game.

Best performance has to be Josh though, kinda reminded me of
The Joker's
performance in
The Dark Knight
in certain parts.

hbkdx12

Emily
went through so much shit, and she survived on her own through the most brutal parts in the game.

The Joker's
performance in
The Dark Knight
in certain parts.

I respected what emily went through and had to endure and i was warming up to her but her (end game spoilers)
interrogation scene soured me on her all over again.

Alo0oy

Banned
I respected what emily went through and had to endure and i was warming up to her but her (end game spoilers)

That scene changes based on her relationship status & personality bars, as well as certain dialog choices and events in the game, especially
her relationship with Matt

That scene also changes for all survivors, not just her.

carlsojo

Emily reminded me of
Juno from the Descent, partially because she's bitchy too and also Emily's big action scene reminded me of that movie. That chase in the mines was so awesome.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Emily

The Joker's
performance in
The Dark Knight
in certain parts.

I feel like
Mike went through the worst of it. He was in legitimate danger more than anyone else(him and Jess are originally being chased by a wendigo, heading into the Sanitorium took balls of steel, let alone returning again...possibly getting his fingers cut off by a trap on top of it.

Also for me Emily pushed Ashley by the door at the end as they were running and being chased by Wendingos which is an INCREDIBLY shitty thing to do. Fuck her.

hbkdx12

That scene changes based on her relationship status & personality bars, as well as certain dialog choices and events in the game, especially
her relationship with Matt

That scene also changes for all survivors, not just her.

I figured as much but even then, the hoops you have to jump through just to keep matt on her good side is nauseating. lol

Alo0oy

Banned
I feel like
Mike went through the worst of it. He was in legitimate danger more than anyone else(him and Jess are originally being chased by a wendigo, heading into the Sanitorium took balls of steel, let alone returning again...possibly getting his fingers cut off by a trap on top of it.

Also for me Emily pushed Ashley by the door at the end as they were running and being chased by Wendingos which is an INCREDIBLY shitty thing to do. Fuck her.

But
Emily went through the mines, which is incredibly more dangerous than the Sonatarium, and then had to put up with Mike and Ashley's psychopathic side AFTER going through all of that after she got bitten by the Wendigo

Let's not forget that both Mike & Ashley's characters are capable of straight up murder, all Emily does is act like a bitch, which may not be socially acceptable, but it doesn't put other lives at risk

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
But
Emily went through the mines, which is incredibly more dangerous than the Sonatarium, and then had to put up with Mike and Ashley's psychopathic side AFTER going through all of that after she got bitty the Wendigo

Let's not forget that both Mike & Ashley's characters are capable of straight up murder, all Emily does is act like a bitch, which may not be socially acceptable, but it doesn't put other lives at risk

Pushing someone while you're both running and being chased is ABSOLUTELY putting her life at risk.

I agree both Mike and Ashley are capable of super fucked up stuff, though.

Alo0oy

Banned
Pushing someone while you're both running and being chased is ABSOLUTELY putting her life at risk.

I agree both Mike and Ashley are capable of super fucked up stuff, though.

Yeah, what she does there is shitty, but my point was she's not worse of a person than Mike and Ashley or the others, Matt and Sam are the only characters that happen to be better people.

So I don't get the hate, she's a better person than a lot of the other characters.

Alo0oy

Banned
Ashley
is quite evidently the most evil of the main characters.

She is, her and Mike are both capable of murder, Josh is kinda crazy but all he does is play a prank on the people that terrorized his sisters, which is understandable even though he went too far, Ashley and Mike are straight up psychopaths.

Crap, sorry for not spoilering that. Have fixed it now.

She is, her and Mike are both capable of murder, Josh is kinda crazy but all he does is play a prank on the people that terrorized his sisters, which is understandable even though he went too far, Ashley and Mike are straight up psychopaths.

I wouldn't totally blame
Mike
, I mean it's a natural reaction
to think that a supernatural "disease" can spread through biting. It's definitely not cool but I wouldn't say he's a psychopath, not to the extent of Ashley. She's just straight up crazy. Mike just got the jitters. I guess that comes from the fact I decided not to shoot her, but put in the situation I could see why he would think about it.

Alo0oy

Banned
Crap, sorry for not spoilering that. Have fixed it now.

I wouldn't totally blame
Mike
, I mean it's a natural reaction
to think that a supernatural "disease" can spread through biting. It's definitely not cool but I wouldn't say he's a psychopath, not to the extent of Ashley. She's just straight up crazy. Mike just got the jitters. I guess that comes from the fact I decided not to shoot her, but put in the situation I could see why he would think about it.

I wouldn't put him in Ashley's tier, but he's certainly not guilt-free like the others, everyone else is capable of fucked up shit, but shooting someone certainly isn't one of those things, so I'd say he's a distant second in the evil scale, the other characters have flaws, but none of them has any "evil" in them other than those two.

I wouldn't put him in Ashley's tier, but he's certainly not guilt-free like the others, everyone else is capable of fucked up shit, but shooting someone certainly isn't one of those things, so I'd say he's a distant second in the evil scale, the other characters have flaws, but none of them has any "evil" in them other than those two.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that.
I do like him a lot more than some characters though.

DryvBy

Finished my first playthrough yesterday. I kind of like this as a form of watching films. It wasn't scary (imo) because I'm used to teen slashers, but it definitely was a horror film/game I'll remember.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah, I definitely agree with that.
I do like him a lot more than some characters though.

Oh, I like him somewhat too (but not as much after finding out what he's capable of in my second playthrough with little remorse).

I was just pointing out that the Emily hate makes no sense given the circumstances of other characters people like.

Oh, I like him somewhat too (but not as much after finding out what he's capable of in my second playthrough with little remorse).

I was just pointing out that the Emily hate makes no sense given the circumstances of other characters people like.
Yep. I love Emily too, always love characters like her in horror films.
I even think the push at the end was justified. Ashley tried to kill her!. A sane person running away from something towards a door would do anything they can to get through it for, just so happened the person she was running with actively tried to get her killed an hour ago.

Hahaha true!

Also (chapter 10)
What did Sam see in the journal that made her rush off to get Mike? I must not have noticed. Mike leaves and they're just chillin in the safe room, Sam starts flipping the journal then is like "omg we have to go get mike NOW." But it never elaborated the catalyst, unless I missed it.
Thats sadly not explained, so we can only assume its about how Wendigos hunt their prey. A bit cheap plot device I guess

I meant to ask, do the survivors gather in the end, so with each missing they have a different ending scene, which requires 255 combinations on that final scene alone, if my math is not spectacularly deceiving me.
Nah, there is one final scene that can feature between 2 to 5 of the remaining characters. 2 of them always make it to the final encounter even if you fail everything, because they wear plot armour. The other 3 can live or die. The remaining 3 are split up from the group and dealt with in a very short separate chapter where they also can live or die. You always control the same character in the final scene and all the interaction takes place between the two characters that always make it. The others only get minimum screentime, however they can live or die during that scene depending on your final choices. The base ending is always the same even if everyone dies/everyone lives. The epilogue itself also takes place in the same area and has mostly dialogue variations.

In my run she was nice and only said how devoted she was to Matt after the entire experience. She also didnt push Ashley despite slapping her earlier

It should break even at least with 1-2 million sales. Hopefully it will do that.

Pinktaco

Good game. Just finished it and it's absolutely recommendable. There are some decent jump scares, some decent atmosphere and thrilling moment, but nothing too bad - most people should be able to play this.

My girlfriend liked watching it and see the story unfold so that was lovely. I liked how finding clues had an active part of the game and not just be collectibles, however I wish the totems was more than just an unlock for a background movie, it was still a good collectible though.

Dr Phil was.. Well they could've done much more with it. It's an underdeveloped part of the game in my opinion, but not s critical part of it.

While I can understand that people nightie wished for more variation in the ending scene (maybe other places to play it out), I loved the butterfly effect and the minor choices. I had to replay the first 4 chapters 3 times and every time something new happened so that was great.

Length of the game was also perfect. I wouldn't have wanted it longer and it's long enough to feel satisfying and yet a length of which I'd replay it again.

While I wouldn't want to see a sequel in the same area with the same kind of gameplay I'd definitely like to see something new and fresh from the developers in 2-3 years time.

I'd rate Until Dawn a good 8/10 and highly recommend it =]

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Question regarding relationships (and possibly towards the end spoiler):

Is there a way to make Emily not hate Ashley and/or Mike when they both wanted to kill her?

nynt9

Is there a way to make Emily not hate Ashley and/or Mike when they both wanted to kill her?

You could prevent her getting bitten which will avoid that scene entirely. Just don't make mistakes during the Wendigo chase before.

Unrelated to the spoiler:

This game is great. Great acting, amazing visuals, cool story, and a decent amount of divergence. A friend who finished the game before me watched me play it via shareplay and he kept telling me how differently everything played out in his game. I ended up saving everyone, and he only had 3 survivors.

quickwhips

Hahaha true!

Also (chapter 10)
What did Sam see in the journal that made her rush off to get Mike? I must not have noticed. Mike leaves and they're just chillin in the safe room, Sam starts flipping the journal then is like "omg we have to go get mike NOW." But it never elaborated the catalyst, unless I missed it.
It was that you shouldn't kill them that is why the guy was capturing them.

Emily

The Joker's
performance in
The Dark Knight
in certain parts.

Ashley I can see calling a psychopath, she can save Chris but chooses not to. But Mike? He's in a terrible situation without a clear answer (that they knew of in the moment) on what to do. And if you do have him kill Emily it's not like he feels good about it. He's clearly freaked out about it, but carries on because he has to. And Chris and Ashley are supportive of shooting her.

Do
Ashley & Josh always get captured? Can they both survive the sawblade or can that scene be skipped entirely
Well...
Both survive because it was rigged to always attack Josh and the body was fake according to a flashback.
Josh cannot survive really because he always gets caught by Hannah. She can turn him if you get the right collectable but that is about it.

Games like this make me wish Blockbuster was still open around the corner.

Typically don't think the Gamefly model saves me $ with my types of buying habits but I want to play this for a couple days.

Do
Ashley & Josh always get captured? Can they both survive the sawblade or can that scene be skipped entirely
Dont read the spoiler in the post above me if you havent beat the game yet. And no you cant skip it.

Let Emily keep the flare gun and snipe the Wendigo with it so she doesnt get bitten.

Caderfix

I was pretty sure I was going to like this game, but not as much as I did. This is my GOTY so far, Bloodborne is now my second choice.

Being able to control a cheesy horror movie is just so satisfying. Not to mention that I've regretted many decisions as soon as I've made them, and by doing things differently, a lot of different things happened

Awesome.

I'm working on my second playthrough because
I MUST PROTECT WOLFIE D:

Wingus

Bought the game off the US PSN store yesterday (cheaper than the UK store).

I'm glad I picked it up; just pure entertainment through and through. I'm almost done with it now. :D

hesido

Thats sadly not explained, so we can only assume its about how Wendigos hunt their prey. A bit cheap plot device I guess

Nah, there is one final scene that can feature between 2 to 5 of the remaining characters. 2 of them always make it to the final encounter even if you fail everything, because they wear plot armour. The other 3 can live or die. The remaining 3 are split up from the group and dealt with in a very short separate chapter where they also can live or die. You always control the same character in the final scene and all the interaction takes place between the two characters that always make it. The others only get minimum screentime, however they can live or die during that scene depending on your final choices. The base ending is always the same even if everyone dies/everyone lives. The epilogue itself also takes place in the same area and has mostly dialogue variations.

Thanks,
that's an undertandable compromise, given the amount of combinations..

Bio

I don't think that is really fair.
Mike, at least in my game, was a stand up guy. Other than the initial doucheness with Hannah of course. He went through hell trying to save Jessica risking life and limb, became a friend to wolves, and with Emily things got really tense yes but it's not like he had an evil motive. And of course, in my game, he couldn't even bring himself to pull the trigger even though he was scared that he was putting the entire group in jeopardy. Ascribing things like "evil" to these situations doesn't make a lot of sense.

Top Bottom