• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

I wouldn't put him in Ashley's tier, but he's certainly not guilt-free like the others, everyone else is capable of fucked up shit, but shooting someone certainly isn't one of those things, so I'd say he's a distant second in the evil scale, the other characters have flaws, but none of them has any "evil" in them other than those two.

I think you'd also have to throw Chris in there too then. He can choose to shoot Ashley when given the choice.

I think you guys are reaching by calling them psychopaths. They're put in a highly stressful situation and it seems that Ashley broke under that pressure. They have no idea what Wendigo are, zombie culture is if you're bitten you turn, it's a fairly understandable deduction due to zombir popularity. She jumped the gun a bit, but she's not a psycho. Leaving Chris outside is a clear sign she broke after being in 2 situations where her life was in Chris' hands. She wasn't thinking clearly due to stress.

I think you guys are reaching by calling them psychopaths. They're put in a highly stressful situation and it seems that Ashley broke under that pressure. They have no idea what Wendigo are, zombie culture is if you're bitten you turn, it's a fairly understandable deduction due to zombir popularity. She jumped the gun a bit, but she's not a psycho. Leaving Chris outside is a clear sign she broke after being in 2 situations where her life was in Chris' hands. She wasn't thinking clearly due to stress.

Yeah, I don't think either of them are psychopaths, or evil, or anything. Just in a really fucked up situation. Although funny thing about Ashley, if Mike shoots Emily, his relationship with Ashley goes to zero. Even though she was incredibly supportive. She sucks.

Fun game. It's too slow paced to replay again for different outcomes but I'm going to YouTube them now.

The performance is absolute dogshit at times. Feels like it dropped to single digits.

I do think Ashley did purposely
kill Chris by holding a grudge and not opening the door
. Mike at least was under stress, had some logic in his conflict, and was remorseful in the bad decision.
Ashley can be pretty terrible.

zeemumu

I don't think that is really fair.
Mike, at least in my game, was a stand up guy. Other than the initial doucheness with Hannah of course. He went through hell trying to save Jessica risking life and limb, became a friend to wolves, and with Emily things got really tense yes but it's not like he had an evil motive. And of course, in my game, he couldn't even bring himself to pull the trigger even though he was scared that he was putting the entire group in jeopardy. Ascribing things like "evil" to these situations doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mikes an odd case. Once he got to the sanatorium he was a decent guy. I was expecting him to be douche til the end in the way that Emily was a jerk to the end.

watdaeff4

How's the replayability with this?

I will be getting my 10% off discount for PLAY 2015 and was thinkig of picking this up, but am hesitant getting it digitally if it's a 'one and done' type game.

Ashley can straight up murder Chris,that's pretty evil.

Se_7_eN

I will be getting my 10% off discount for PLAY 2015 and was thinkig of picking this up, but am hesitant getting it digitally if it's a 'one and done' type game.

Replayability is HUGE, especially if you are a completionist... I found myself instantly wondering about other paths after making a choice.

Its probably best to only play it once and not look behind the curtain too much, but if you dont mind there is a lot of collectables and additional dialogue to discover on your second run, because you usually miss stuff based on choices.

MrBlonde

I am an Xbox guy but this might be a system seller. I am a huge horror movie fan and from what I have seen and read today your basically watching a horror movie and making decisions. Sounds and looks awesome and something I could enjoy with my girlfriend. I might be getting a PS4 this week now :)

I also want to play God of War so that helps justify my purchase.

SRTtoZ

I don't know why I did it, but I did it.

spEI7Zs.png

Damn that was intense, just finished my 1st play through (2 survived) absolutely amazing experience. Can't wait to start again now to see the different outcomes.

Love the 2 main plot twists, the 1st one I figured from the clues
but
the 2nd twist, where it goes full on The Decent, with the monsters, was a nice surprise

Supermassive really have made something special with this game. Love all the extra documentary / making of videos you unlock too, and if you have PS Camera it saves your reactions to jump scares, great stuff.

Yaari

Finished my playthough but I don't know if I'm doing it again anytime soon. I'm sort of curious as to how different things will be if I change my approach, but I don't really think it will make all that much of a difference.

Did anyone play the Extended Edition DLC, I'm sort of wondering if that's any good. I have it but I might just sell my copy instead. I'll get more for it if I didn't use that DLC.

I enjoyed it a lot btw. Just not sure if I want to do it again anytime soon.

hbkdx12

Finished my playthough but I don't know if I'm doing it again anytime soon. I'm sort of curious as to how different things will be if I change my approach, but I don't really think it will make all that much of a difference.

Did anyone play the Extended Edition DLC, I'm sort of wondering if that's any good. I have it but I might just sell my copy instead. I'll get more for it if I didn't use that DLC.

I enjoyed it a lot btw. Just not sure if I want to do it again anytime soon.

There really isn't anything to it. Just gives you an opportunity better or worsen your relationship between Matt and Emily

Finished it last night. I ended up with Sam, Chris, Ashley, and Emily surviving. I really enjoyed the game (those last few "don't move" segments were crazy intense). I'm not itching to replay it immediately, but it will be a good game to play every once and awhile and you get a slightly different take on the story each time. I'd like to see a sequel take all the systems this one introduced and push them even further with more branching consequences, and play around with the "psychology" aspect to affect the game. Less jump scares and more psychological horror would be nice too. I appreciate the amount of horror tropes the game played around with and did a nice job subverting them, but I'd like to see a game that's subtler because the systems could defintiely be used to create something actually scary.

I also think the walking around / exploration segments could use some refinement. They were the weakest part of the game for the most part, as there was no tension at all during them because nothing can happen, and the exploration and finding items didn't feel very organic or rewarding. They had really good atmosphere and it allowed some direct control but I think it needs a bit more to those sections.

Overall, really enjoyed the game. I'd give it a very solid 8/10. This and Revelations 2 were both big surprises for me this year.

Did anyone catch the username of the [expletive removed] who posted that spoilerific Until Dawn thread just now before it got wiped off the face of the earth? Began with a K, but I don't remember the rest of it. Thanks.

Ashley can straight up murder Chris,that's pretty evil.
Straight up murder? Again, I disagree. She's reacting to a situation where her friends are being kidnapped/forced to pick between killing one another. She was in 2 of these situations. The amount of stress that would cause is immense. The second time, if they guy decided to shoot me I think I would break inside like she did. The reveal that it was a prank doesn't make it better or okay. She broke in that chair. She was in hysterics. She did not handle the stress of the situation, that doesn't make her evil.

Finished my playthough but I don't know if I'm doing it again anytime soon.
Good choice I think!

Did anyone catch the username of the [expletive removed] who posted that spoilerific Until Dawn thread just now before it got wiped off the face of the earth? Began with a K, but I don't remember the rest of it. Thanks.
Uhhh, what was the thread about (you can spoiler it)? You could search for the username I guess.

drotahorror

Finally beat it. Loved it. Feels nice to play something that's not so cookie cutter.

I should mention that I didn't watch any of the totems.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

The other posters were worse. The OP started editing immediately but people were still posting spoilers when the thread was deleted just in case anyone who hadn't been spoiled was LTTP. I tried to shame them but they just... kept... fucking... doing it.

Straight up murder? Again, I disagree. She's reacting to a situation where her friends are being kidnapped/forced to pick between killing one another. She was in 2 of these situations. The amount of stress that would cause is immense. The second time, if they guy decided to shoot me I think I would break inside like she did. The reveal that it was a prank doesn't make it better or okay. She broke in that chair. She was in hysterics. She did not handle the stress of the situation, that doesn't make her evil.

Yup. She was already freaking out since the Ouija board and Chris tried to Fucking kill her. Now with a Fucking monster running rampant, that'd probably cause someone to act irrational. That being said, if Ashley likes Chris, she'll say shoot me instead if you point the gun at yourself.

I may be biased cause I liked her hehe.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Got everyone out alive! I had a minor surgery earlier today so vicodin actually helped with those tougher Don't Move segments. This is only game that I could play LOL

RedAssedApe

Banned
What is this video from, is it just some making of extra someone included in the game? And are there spoilers? I only watched the first few minutes as its 30 min long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkiXZx4BIHw

Got everyone out alive! I had a minor surgery earlier today so vicodin actually helped with those tougher Don't Move segments. This is only game that I could play LOL

There is an * next to your play though for using performance enhancing drugs. ;)

Finished this last night.
I suck with the controller, which led to some grisly deaths. Damn it, Emily was starting to grow on me, too!
Mike, Josh and Ashley survived, chiefly because I found the clue about the wendigo being able to mimic and didn't fall for the obvious trap. Josh got wendigoed. Mike made it out after Sam yelled to distract Hannah
and I failed the last hide QTE. Oops.

Matt died. I'm so bummed. I thought I was being selfless!

I know! The same exact think happened to me and to my wife as well. It was tough, but I'm determined to save him on my second playthrough. I'm probably gonna finish my first run today or tomorrow at the latest.

Rozart

I know! The same exact think happened to me and to my wife as well. It was tough, but I'm determined to save him on my second playthrough. I'm probably gonna finish my first run today or tomorrow at the latest.

I'm still kinda bitter about it tbh. I really liked Matt. :( And I was so sure I was doing the right thing too-- had no idea the (what I had then assumed to be throwaway) decisions I made prior to this would come and bite my back in the ass.

My sister was watching me play the game and she kept telling me to
'save myself'
. Wished I had listened to her but ah well, it's all part of the game.

How's your survivor count doing?

I'm still kinda bitter about it tbh. I really liked Matt. :( And I was so sure I was doing the right thing too-- had no idea the (what I had then assumed to be throwaway) decisions I made prior to this would come and bite my back in the ass.

My sister was watching me play the game and she kept telling me to
'save myself'
. Wished I had listened to her but ah well, it's all part of the game.

How's your survivor count doing?

I also considered
saving myself option
, but somehow just didn't seem like right thing to do

I'm just starting chapter 9 and so far
I've only lost Matt for sure, but I'm not quite sure about the fate of Jessica. It didn't look good for sure, but I'm hoping she's still somewhere alive.

I have feeling that the last two chapters will be tough on my survivor count.

How about you? Lose anyone else than Matt so far?

Senoculum

Just beat the game with my girlfriend. We managed to get all 8 survivors! It really was just a matter of being careful. Truly rewarding.

Loved the story.

I really think that this is a new branch in interactive storytelling; and I love these games where it's not about points, or very much about puzzles, but being "responsible" for the actors and their decisions.

I'm still waiting for the one game where there are more than two choices at a time; where characters can die at any moment, and where the plot can branch into an entirely different tone and style, and where endings don't have determined locations. I feel we're close to that.

I hope Until Dawn inspires more developers to create these experiences; because these are much more "cinematic" than the typical set-piece driven action-adventure.

StevieWhite

I found the don't move segments pretty easy... just played with the controller resting on my thigh. Good idea, but easy to circumvent.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
My nineteen year old daughter and I burned through this in a white hot heat this weekend. We loved it.

I remember saying, maybe even here, when Heavy Rain came out that the engine should be just used for other genres, like a teen slasher flic. And here we are, with all that plus a lot more refinement, story logic, enjoyment. Bravo. Gotta go look up who works at Supermassive now.

It's a brilliant game, played it through twice now with the missus and two of my sons, all taking two characters each and trying to get them through to the end alive. If it had a shorter party mode it'd be perfect for a boozy family get together!

I screwed up as Sam at the end and killed both the missus characters, she was less than impressed!

Alchemist

So, I beat the game. Heart is still intact and I had
survivors.

Josh died for me at the end. I don't know how I could have saved him, but his head got crushed by a Wendigo.

Amazing game overall, I'd recommend it to anyone who is on the fence. If I had one complaint it would be that
the second half of the game wasn't really scary at all.

So, I beat the game. Heart is still intact and I had
survivors.

Josh died for me at the end. I don't know how I could have saved him, but his head got crushed by a Wendigo.

Amazing game overall, I'd recommend it to anyone who is on the fence. If I had one complaint it would be that
the second half of the game wasn't really scary at all.

About your second spoiler tag.
You save Josh by finding two things. You need to find at least one picture of Hannah with a butterfly tattoo. And in Chapter 10 when you jump into the water with Sam you need to take the left path at the watermill instead of following Mike to the right. There you'll find Hannah's journal. If you already have a butterfly picture you can just select Chapter 10 and get the full ending by picking up the journal.

brau

About your second spoiler tag.
You save Josh by finding two things. You need to find at least one picture of Hannah with a butterfly tattoo. And in Chapter 10 when you jump into the water with Sam you need to take the left path at the watermill instead of following Mike to the right. There you'll find Hannah's journal. If you already have a butterfly picture you can just select Chapter 10 and get the full ending by picking up the journal.

is the ending the one where he becomes a wendigo? thats the one i got. Dunno if i can save him.

partime

For the gold trophy of
keeping everyone alive (all/boys/girls)
, should I restart the game or start the first episode where I killed someone off?

Trouble

Banned
For the gold trophy of
, should I restart the game or start the first episode where I killed someone off?

You can restart on whatever chapter you made a poor choice on and play through to the end. That's what I did and got the trophies.

Certinty

Oh my God! First two chapters were decent at best but holy fuck, since then it gets better and better. With a few chapters left it's currently a 9/10. Hopefully it remains this high.

is the ending the one where he becomes a wendigo? thats the one i got. Dunno if i can save him.

Ending spoilers
Yep, that's his ending. There's no way to actually prevent him from being turned into a Wendigo.

For the gold trophy of

Ending spoilers
It depends on where your first character death occurred. If the first one occurred in Chapter 10, then i'd just start there. But earlier than that means that if any of them die at any time you have to start over from the chapter where you first character death occurred in your original playthrough since that's the one the game remembers. Given how hard the final "Hold Still" sequences can be, it means that you could get frustrated if you're having to go through multiple chapters every time to get there.

Top Bottom