• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Edit: Are there multiple endings? I mean, endings that are completely different, not just on number of survivors.
Nope

Would this be a good game to have and play around Halloween time?
Yep

The dialogue in the police interviews can change up a good deal depending on who survives and how they die. There's also a post credits sequence that depends on if someone survives.
I was kinda disappointed that what they say barely changes, only if they say anything at all (aka if they survive). Matt kept saying something about "what he tried wasnt good enough" with no context and not a single character dead lol

hbkdx12

Took a bit of a break now that i reached chapter 3 or 4. Quick thoughts

-The beginning of the game is definitely a slow burn. I'm a bit torn on how i feel about it. On one had it helps to flesh out the archetypes of the characters. On the other hand i feel like i've been doing a lot of walking and exploring and not a lot of decision making.

- Put me down on team #patchinvertoption

- Collectibles, particularly the totems, are ruining my experience but this is more my own fault than it is the game. My gaming OCD is making me want to be extra thorough which pads my feeling of doing more exploring rather than decision making. Coming across multiple paths/doorways/etc and not knowing which one advances the story thus possibly missing collectibles is frustrating but even then that's still more of a personal problem. It still has me concerned though especially considering (Vague collectible related spoiler)
I've seen a few people post about how they've had a character die (not sure which one or the circumstances) from spending too long in a scene looking for collectibles

All in all i enjoy it and can't wait to get back to it in a few :)

Took a bit of a break now that i reached chapter 3 or 4. Quick thoughts

-The beginning of the game is definitely a slow burn. I'm a bit torn on how i feel about it. On one had it helps to flesh out the archetypes of the characters. On the other hand i feel like i've been doing a lot of walking and exploring and not a lot of decision making.
It will get better. Keep exploring if you like doing it, its usually worth it and later on pays off.

I've seen a few people post about how they've had a character die (not sure which one or the circumstances) from spending too long in a scene looking for collectibles
Thats incorrect, nothing like that really happens during a segment where you have full movement control.

I am pretty ultimately disappointed in how little the story branches, and how little your choices affect everything or how the game plays out.
I think your expectations were outta wack.

The nuance is beyond TellTale template. Some of the deaths are based on something as small as
finding a clue
or interactions based on previous choices
(Ashley choosing to lock Chris out of the house, getting him killed). Giving Mike and Sam plot armor until the end to move the story forward doesn't negate the other choices.

This was always going to be the same basic story, but the player shifts how the characters feel about one another in subtle ways. This creates unintended consequences later on and that's what make his game interesting.

Rozart

Just bought the game! It was out of stock at my local gamestore so I had to travel to another branch to get my copy. And that store only had the display copy left. Had no idea that the game was going to be this popular.

Anyway, I'm three chapters in and I'm absolutely loving it. I've been playing this game as my sis plays hers and despite only being a few chapters in there's already a pretty big difference between our playthroughs. Loving all the 'therapy' sessions!

hbkdx12

Thats incorrect, nothing like that really happens during a segment where you have full movement control.

Really? Hmm. Must have misinterpreted the posts but but thanks for setting the record straight

Just bought the game! It was out of stock at my local gamestore so I had to travel to another branch to get my copy. And that store only had the display copy left. Had no idea that the game was going to be this popular.

Neither did Sony apparently. The game seems to be doing well but sony didn't seem to ship a lot of copies. People have talked about how few copies were available both in retail and online.

My friends and i will get together likely next weekend to finish off our first group session. Let me just say that we haven't had this much fun together in ages. I mean yeah we get together and joke and shit, but with drinks this was an amazing party game.

alterno69

Banned
I didn't really feel the beginning was slow mind you, maybe cause the last game i beat was Everybodys gone to the rapture 😂

I think this is oficially my favorite genre.

Thanks to comments on this thread i just purchased Life is strange for the Xbone since it was cheaper there 😎

Ray Down

Banned
tumblr_inline_n9dik4Kam31rzrkw2.gif

THEY ALL LIVED.

border

This was always going to be the same basic story, but the player shifts how the characters feel about one another in subtle ways. This creates unintended consequences later on and that's what make his game interesting.

"Marginally shifting around how the characters feel about each other" is straight out of the Telltale playbook though. Decisions with significant consequences are relatively low, as a direct result of MILD SPOILER
their need to keep the majority of the cast alive or incapacitated for 80% of the game
. What Supermassive does with the story here is really not out of Telltale's scope or ability. They have much better production values obviously, but it's still easy to see how boxed in the story and characters are.

When the developer says I'm going to want to play through the several times, I kinda expect it to be for significant shifts in the story and completely different content....different areas to play through, different choices to make, and different aspects of the mystery to uncover. Aside from a handful of pivot-points, every playthrough is going to be mostly the same though.

I was expecting something more narratively akin to Maniac Mansion, where there's multiple endings, multiple solutions to puzzles/situations, and a mythos that cannot be completely uncovered in a single playthrough.

Well fuck. I'm in chapter 5 and I've just run into a game breaking glitch. And because my PS+ online storage is full I can't go back to an old save. Not fucking happy.

Is there anything I can do other than restart from scratch?

Well fuck. I'm in chapter 5 and I've just run into a game breaking glitch. And because my PS+ online storage is full I can't go back to an old save. Not fucking happy.

Use episode select and choose the chapter 4? Shouldn't lose too much progress if it's a new play through

Edit: sorry.

border

It might help to describe what the problem is. It's possible you might have missed something.

It might help to describe what the problem is. It's possible you might have missed something.

No, I've done something the game doesn't expect you too. Anyway this is spoiler free but there's a bit where as Mike you need to push a barrel up to a ledge to climb up. As I climbed up I noticed a glint on the floor which I figured meant I missed a totem. Anyway so after I finished climbing up in the next area I was able to exit a door which enabled me to go back and jump down to the area where the totem was. I inspected the totem but now when I climb up on the barrel again Mike doesn't climb up on the ledge, nothing happens...
I can't seem to go back the way I came either.

Love the game so far. Something that is confusing me, though: why does my "honest" character trait keep going down when I'm doing NICE things? It makes no sense. I'm playing as Mike in Chapter 3 and had a few opportunities to scare someone and each time chose not to. My "Romantic" and "charitable" went up but "hones"t went down each time. Is the "traits" system flawed in this game?

bender

What time is it?
So many jump scares.

Played through the first five chapters tonight and kind of want to keep going. What a pleasant surprise this game turned out to be.

Chapter four could have gone better. :(

Pilgrimzero

Having been through the game twice with some different choices, I don't really see what the character stats do and especially what the psychologist part adds to the main game.

Anyways, interested in seeing sales numbers when they are out.

simtmb

Finished this last night, loved it, but...
As I was playing I was hoping so bad that it wasn't going to switch up and give us the monster business...then it did.

Great game, but a big disappointment for me in that regard.

Corpekata

Banned
Having been through the game twice with some different choices, I don't really see what the character stats do and especially what the psychologist part adds to the main game.

For the most part they
do nothing. The only character stats that matter are what Ashley thinks of Chris really. Get it low enough and she leaves him to die when returning from trying to find Josh with the flamethrower guy. I think they might also affect things like how Jessica responds to Mike in the cabin since she can apparently get half naked according to the totems. But that's about it. I think they also affect some dialogue slightly, but nothing major.

Psychologist stuff affects Josh's stats, like he will have a zero relationship with who you like the least, but it doesn't affect anything. And some of the choices affect the jump scares and some atmosphere moments.

Just finished. Really had a blast with it, and I'll definitely be playing it again after MGS V and Mad Max.

I do have a question about the
episode select unlocked after completion of the story - I know it will make nabbing some trophies easier, but I'm assuming that trophies for certain / all characters surviving would require a complete playthrough?

Corpekata

Banned
Just finished. Really had a blast with it, and I'll definitely be playing it again after MGS V and Mad Max.

I do have a question about the
episode select unlocked after completion of the story - I know it will make nabbing some trophies easier, but I'm assuming that trophies for certain / all characters surviving would require a complete playthrough?

No, you can start it at any chapter and play till the end and it'll clear any trophies you earn in it. I had everyone alive in Chapter 9 and just replayed from there to get the all survive ending/ trophies.

aly

Character stats:
I feel like we are looking at the stats wrongly. Like the stats don't affect anything and just represent the effect that your choices have. You shouldn't be looking at the stats to have effects, they are actually just representing how a character feels due to choices already made.

Lagamorph

Was really tempted by this last night while my brother was round so we could have some late night horror entertainment, but £50 for the digital version when I can get it for at least £10 cheaper physically? Fuck off Sony.

Just finished the game early this morning... Crazy fun, im super happy I bought it. Probably going to be my biggest out of left field/sleeper game of 2015.

Just 3 survivors were left alive, but I'll be running through a couple more times for the Plat!

I didn't really feel the beginning was slow mind you, maybe cause the last game i beat was Everybodys gone to the rapture ��

Thanks to comments on this thread i just purchased Life is strange for the Xbone since it was cheaper there ��

I also didn't think the beginning was slow at all and I enjoyed the slow build up and getting to know the characters. The location is so atmospheric so I just took my time admiring the views and listening all the creepy sounds. This game has a really effective sound design overall especially with surround system or a set of headphones. I'm now currently in the chapter 7 and I'm really taking my time with this game. I just don't want it to end.

You did an excellent choice buying Life is Strange, it's definitely among my top favorites of the year with some of the most memorable characters and relationships of the recent years.

I'm actually still in the middle of playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, I put it on hold while I finish this.

So it turns out that all my years of complaining that horror movie characters are too stupid has come back to bite me in the ass, because I seem to have made some terrible decisions and wound up getting half the cast killed so far.

Up to chapter 6 (I think) and so far I've lost
Jess, Joel, Matt, Emily and 2 of Mike's fingers.

Unfortunately for the game I don't ever see myself replaying it when I'm done, there's just too much down time at the start to ever go through it again. I'd want to, but I think I'll settle for watching walkthroughs on Youtube after I'm done.

Played this with all my siblings last night and it was a blast lol. There were tons of arguments, tons of screwy decision and they didn't want to stop playing last night but hells no, I had to get to bed lol.

I almost died of a heart attack way too much. The jump scares are really subtle because you really don't know when they are coming for real lol and walking into them kills me lol.

We have our favorites
Sam
but so far I'm hoping no one dies just yet. I haven't got real far, just chapter 4 but things are interesting..

This is my favorite game of 2015 bar none!

Surely they had to develop a ton of "alternate" content if it's possible to both kill or keep everyone alive.
There is a big share of unique dialogue depending on who lived or died, but in terms of unique scenes there is really only one extra small area you encounter if you keep 1-2 specific characters alive and it gets skipped if you dont. Otherwise you'll always play the exact same scenes with smallish variations depending on who made it.
Some characters wear plot armour, which ensures you always play through every scene and reach the final area no matter what. There is also only 1 ending with variations.

Same :D

The psychologist doesn't affect that much in the main game but there are some things. Depending on if you're afraid of clowns, scarecrows, or zombies, you'll see a lot more of that respective mask in the little scares that the Psycho leaves around. Also depending on the creature you find scary there'll be at least one part where an image of that creature is projected in the background. Also there'll be a picture of the character you like the least on a board with some X's or something over it. So there are little things here and there, but nothing major.

Pinktaco

Ugh.. Im victim of s glitch that basically killed my current save file :( I'm stuck at the beginning of chapter 5 and there's nothing to do about it. Completely killed my motivation to continue

JonnyKong

Well as I'm about to enter what I think is the final chapter of the game, I've still got 7 people left alive. If I somehow kill all 7 of these people in the last chapter I'll be ashamed of myself as a gamer.

I've been watching soo many playthrough. Love to see others reaction. Best one imo was GT's Pjama Party (that ending, though one of them are so annoyingly talkative throughout) and RadBrad.

Wonder if anyone can recommend other interesting (archived) playthrough that they've watched? ( Other than Mary K, Mark, Pew, Tetra, Dashi and GG). Some of the ones that I've mention there are too much to handle though and I just gave up on them (if they tone down a bit, I might like it, but hey what do I know, they have a lot of viewers).

Currently watching Aychis's and loving it, she seems so genuinely scared and lost.

The behind the scenes stuff really makes me appreciate this type of performance capture

It must be crazy difficult with absolutely nothing to react to or use as reference

JonnyKong

That's me done. In the end Sam, Emily, Ashley, Matt and Chris survived. The way both Josh and Mike were killed seemed a bit iffy to me and easily avoidable. Anyway, I still really enjoyed it, although I liked it less as I got towards the end for some reason. I started to find the mechanics a bit repetitive and tired, and the final chapter wasn't as bat shit crazy as I was expecting. Anyway, my final score would be an 8/10 I reckon.

I've been watching soo many playthrough. Love to see others reaction. Best one imo was GT's Pjama Party (that ending, though one of them are so annoyingly talkative throughout) and RadBrad.

Wonder if anyone can recommend other interesting (archived) playthrough that they've watched? ( Other than Mary K, Mark, Pew, Tetra, Dashi and GG). Some of the ones that I've mention there are too much to handle though and I just gave up on them (if they tone down a bit, I might like it, but hey what do I know, they have a lot of viewers).

Currently watching Aychis's and loving it, she seems so genuinely scared and lost.
As much as people hate him, DSP's playthrough of these sort of games is always highly entertaining. Same with Until Dawn.

The behind the scenes stuff really makes me appreciate this type of performance capture

It must be crazy difficult with absolutely nothing to react to or use as reference
Yup. Thats the case for most games nowadays.

Just finished my play through with my friends. I played Matt and Sam. Just have to say, this game is beyond amazing! Definitely my GOTY this year. The second half of the story hit us like a brick and weren't expecting any of it. Really is a great twist. These graphics are amazing and we were taking pics and videos the entire time. We only played at night and everyone was getting freaked out because of the tension. We only had 3 survivors: Sam, Matt, and Emily.
Jessica
died because of my stupid decisions.
Was running way to slow and taking the safe paths with Matt when she got snatched
. My friend killed
Chris because he was too slow to shoot the wendigo
We had no idea how to save Josh
. Then other people died because of my stupid decisions again.
Playing as Sam at the end and and I though it would have been smart to turn the lights on instead of saving Mike. Sorry Ashley and Mike
! Anyways Emily is still a douchebag and Ashley is the real hero of the game!
She got a little crazy when she wanted to shoot Emily, though. Probably because Chris just died.

ciD_Vain

I think I messed up. I was showing my friends the game last night and started a new game thinking I could later just choose the chapter I left off from before. Am I stuck having to replay from the beginning now?

Top Bottom