• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Jawmuncher

I think I messed up. I was showing my friends the game last night and started a new game thinking I could later just choose the chapter I left off from before. Am I stuck having to replay from the beginning now?

Yep, you only unlock chapters after you beat it.

Just finished and only Sam, Chris, and Jessica survived. There is one death that wasn't the result of an immediate decision I made. I'm going to have to play through again to figure out how to keep the person alive.

I redboxed the game but I'm going to buy it for the multiple play throughs and to support the developers. I'd like to see more games like this made

On Demand

Banned
Either the game is selling well, or Sony didn't ship enough copies. Went to pick it up today at Bestbuy and someone bought the last one they had.

Really like the game but am annoyed that
2 of my 3 favorite characters are now dead and I'm just starting chapter 6. Now I feel like I just want to rush through it and finish it so I can try again. I think I may just start over and make sure those characters live to the end. Characters dead are Beth and Hannah.

One of the deaths was completely my fault. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do but everything just went so fast and I made a bad choice. The other death was also my fault in retrospect, but at the time seemed like an ok decision that I wish wouldn't have determined someone's life/death.

Also kidding about beth and hannah. It was Jess and Sam. For Jess I shimmied with Mike across the gap when I think I was supposed to hurry and jump? And with Sam I fucking knew I had to get to the basement with the baseball bat and I ended up running right passed it on accident. Edit: I could be wrong on those things because I dont know for sure if that's what I did wrong but it seems like that's the case. I'll have to see in a second play through.

SSReborn

Really like the game but am annoyed that 2 of my 3 favorite characters are now dead and I'm just starting chapter 6. Now I feel like I just want to rush through it and finish it so I can try again. I think I may just start over and make sure those characters live to the end.

One of the deaths was completely my fault. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do but everything just went so fast and I made a bad choice. The other death was also my fault in retrospect, but at the time seemed like an ok decision that I wish wouldn't have determined someone's life/death.
Who are your favourites?

hbkdx12

Just finished the game a lil bit ago. Only had one death (spoilers) it was
Matt, right after the tower collapse. Shit felt incredibly cheap simply because i didn't give him the flare gun i had no choice but to just watch him be dragged off to die. As he's being dragged you can see him reach towards his pockets and at that moment i'm like "Oh, I guess i was suppose to give him the flare gun"

It really sucked cuz i feel like other close encounters with death that i've had with other characters, i felt like the game gave you options/an opportunity to save yourself or avoid the danger in the moment.

Overall the game is fantastic. This game will inevitably be compared to telltale games and the ilk but what's on display here is far better and not just because the production values are higher.

I enjoyed this a lot more than something like the walking dead because in the latter, a lot of the story is driven by dialogue trees and conversations that you end up having with NPCs which may or may not have any effect on anything. In UD, the dialogue just is what it is. Of course there are minor differences depending on the choices you make but since all you really have to worry about is making choices and not flowing through chains of dialogue, each choice feels meaningful and it doesn't feel like there's a lot of downtime and exposition type padding, especially once things get going after chapter 3, unlike the walking dead. Yet, the collectibles do a great job of providing back story which again feels more rewarding than going through dialogue trees.

There are a lot of great subtle nuance in the game that should be applauded:

=I really liked how the pause screen is the character your controlling at the moment and they look exactly like their in game models based on whatever's happened to them in the story up to that point.

=(End game spoilers)
The post credit police interrogations were excellent. I love how they question you and bring up things that reflect personal choices that you made in the game. I also like how the interviewer talks to you with a ton of skepticism as if everything that's happened is completely unbelievable. Really cements the horror trope of no one believing all the shit the main character(s) went through.

The game wasn't as scary as i was expecting (not that i'm complaining)Plenty of cheap jump scares in the early chapters but they dwindle by a large degree as the game progresses.

You really start to feel attached to the characters as the game continues and they tend to out grow their stereotypical horror archetypes a bit which is nice but in the end, screen time isn't really distributed in a fair way. Some characters get a ton of screen time while others far too little. Speaking of which (character spoiler) wtf is the point in having Jessica side lined for majority of the game? I ended up saving her and ironically enough during the police interrogations, she seemed like the most traumatic and emotionally/mentally scarred of all of them.

Much like the characters themselves, the story at the onset feels like fluff and appears about as deep as kiddie pool but as it progresses, it takes itself seriously in a way that provides some refreshing level of depth.

Also, as much as i would still like an invert option, the game isn't very demanding of you in this regard where I couldn't adjust to the no invert or feel like it hindered my experience.

I don't serious expect this game to win any GOTY awards from major publications at the end of the year but at the very least it should be in the conversation.

hbkdx12

Also kidding about beth and hannah. It was Jess and Sam. For Jess I shimmied with Mike across the gap when I think I was supposed to hurry and jump? And with Sam I fucking knew I had to get to the basement with the baseball bat and I ended up running right passed it on accident. Edit: I could be wrong on those things because I dont know for sure if that's what I did wrong but it seems like that's the case. I'll have to see in a second play through.

Don't know if it helps you any but in my playthrough i ran through the basement with Sam and didn't bother to pick up the bat and still had her survive in the end. So there's more at play going into that scene than just picking up the bat.

Just completed it and only 2 people survived. Jessica and Sam. I absolutely adore the game and I knew I had screwed up when
i went to explore the voice with the girl in the hat
haha whoops

hbkdx12

I almost made that mistake, but then I remembered the bit
where they mentioned that Wendigos can imitate people to lure their prey.

I completely forget about the mimic part when i was in the mines with Ashley. Going off alone just seemed like a dumb idea.

But when Sam gets back to the lodge at the end and Mike shows up right behind her all creepy and shit, i SWORE it was a wendigo pretending to be Mike (i wasn't sure of how advanced their mimicry skills were) especially since i got the totem that showed Wendigos getting in the lodge and i was like how would they have gotten there? So when Sam picks up the rock to break the window, i jostled the hell out of the right stick to try to aim it at Mike and hit him with it. LOL

Really like the game but am annoyed that
2 of my 3 favorite characters are now dead and I'm just starting chapter 6. Now I feel like I just want to rush through it and finish it so I can try again. I think I may just start over and make sure those characters live to the end. Characters dead are Beth and Hannah.

Keep going :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I completely forget about the mimic part when i was in the mines with Ashley. Going off alone just seemed like a dumb idea.

But when Sam gets back to the lodge at the end and Mike shows up right behind her all creepy and shit, i SWORE it was a wendigo pretending to be Mike (i wasn't sure of how advanced their mimicry skills were) especially since i got the totem that showed Wendigos getting in the lodge and i was like how would they have gotten there? So when Sam picks up the rock to break the window, i jostled the hell out of the right stick to try to aim it at Mike and hit him with it. LOL

That part was weird as fuck.
They even still had unnerving music playing while Mike talked, and considering where he was last shown it's very weird he was able to meet/catch up with Sam already.

That part was weird as fuck.
They even still had unnerving music playing while Mike talked, and considering where he was last shown it's very weird he was able to meet/catch up with Sam already.
Yeah thats a big nope.
Sam climbs directly out and heads straight back, by the time she arrives Mike only had like 5 minutes at best to go from the spot where he hid after Josh got dragged away to the cabin. Must have been the super secret exit.

I honestly thought too it was a Wendigo at first lol

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Just finished the game yesterday, and, man, what a ride! I honestly wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much, despite having loved Heavy Rain to pieces when it was released. I guess I was just feeling a bit weary of coming back to narrative-heavy games after investing so much of my time with open world games; not necessarily because I dislike them in any way, but my tastes have definitely evolved more toward the latter genre in more recent years. Until Dawn is actually my first non-open world purchase for this gen lol - but well worth the 60 bucks I say!

The only thing that slightly bothered me about the game was the amount of jumpscares. I get that it's part of the typical 80s/90s horror movie experience, but holy shit. I've never thrown so many expletives at a game before! I even got to the point where I considered playing it without headphones because I got so paranoid lol.

Just finished the game yesterday, and, man, what a ride! I honestly wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much, despite having loved Heavy Rain to pieces when it was released. I guess I was just feeling a bit weary of coming back to narrative-heavy games after investing so much of my time with open world games; not necessarily because I dislike them in any way, but my tastes have definitely evolved more toward the latter genre in more recent years. Until Dawn is actually my first non-open world purchase for this gen lol - but well worth the 60 bucks I say!

The only thing that slightly bothered me about the game was the amount of jumpscares. I get that it's part of the typical 80s/90s horror movie experience, but holy shit. I've never thrown so many expletives at a game before! I even got to the point where I considered playing it without headphones because I got so paranoid lol.
While perhaps not as branching as HR, it feels like the first game that really tries to capture the same tense atmosphere with possible character death and high production values. Certainly a lot inspired by it, which makes sense considering its Sony publishing it lol

Replicant

God, I hope this game makes a lot of its budget back and then some more because I want more from this developer and QD. Thank you to Sony for supporting different kind of game genres, especially ones like this one. Keep at it!

Played through it in a few afternoons. Really liked. Hated Mike at first until
Mike basically becomes Dean Winchester.
I think Resident Evil 2 Remake shouldn't go full 3D and keep the camera angles like this game has, but maybe have different perspectives from the original.

Leeness

Noooooooo.

lost Mike and Ashley at the end because I didn't realize you had to keep hiding/dodging before turning the light on :(

Also lost Josh but fuck him lol

Anyway, fantastic game. Loved it and can't wait to play with people next weekend.

I do wonder...

With Josh's death, what was the important discovery that Sam would have made that would have saved him? There was something in a totem about climbing the water wheel, so I'm guessing there was something up there that alluded to Hannah being the main Wendigo that would have "saved" Josh?

hbkdx12

Noooooooo.

lost Mike and Ashley at the end because I didn't realize you had to keep hiding/dodging before turning the light on :(

Also lost Josh but fuck him lol

Anyway, fantastic game. Loved it and can't wait to play with people next weekend.

lol it's kind of funny that you can work so hard to keep all these people alive but then
at the very last moment kill them all with the flip of a switch
XD

Leeness

lol it's kind of funny that you can work so hard to keep all these people alive but then
XD

XjYPRoO.png

Replicant

XD

It's the moment of truth.

The moment when you find out if you are the type who stick it through thick and thin or are you the type to just go "Screw you guys, I'm going home~" when push comes to shove and panic controls your survival instinct.

I wish they had made it clearer but admit it, your first instinct was to
reach that switch pronto

hbkdx12

The moment when you find out if you are the type who stick it through thick and thin or are you the type to just go "Screw you guys, I'm going home~" when push comes to shove and panic controls your survival instinct.

reach that switch pronto

For me, it actually wasn't. I find it interesting to think about the thought process people put into the last scene. Makes a worthwhile ending and nice conversation

Naturally, i wanted to get to the switch but i was very much aware of the fact that the wendigo see you when you move and based on the position of where Sam was in relation to the switch, running for it felt like a death sentence, not because I knew she would get to it and blow everyone up, but because i legitimately thought she'd never make it.

So i patiently went with hide each time, not because i was concerned about sparing my friends, but because i truly believed there'd be no way i'd make it to the light switch without dying. Plus picking hide after about 2 times has her finding cover in a way that suggests she's trying to safely make to the light switch. I was willing to ride that out and see what happened.

carlsojo

reach that switch pronto

Totally agree that that's what they were going for but
it should have been more clear you were hittin' that switch on your way out.
RIP BBQMike

Leeness

reach that switch pronto

Haha
I'm actually not sure why my instinct at that point was to run for it, I think I thought if I kept hiding, Sam would die? Like everyone would leave and she would sacrifice herself. I guess I felt like she was going to sacrifice herself.

Replicant

For me, it actually wasn't. I find it interesting to think about the thought process people put into the last scene. Makes a worthwhile ending and nice conversation

Naturally, i wanted to get to the switch but i was very much aware of the fact that the wendigo see you when you move and based on the position of where Sam was in relation to the switch, running for it felt like a death sentence, not because I knew she would get to it and blow everyone up, but because i legitimately thought she'd never make it.

So i patiently went with hide each time, not because i was concerned about sparing my friends, but because i truly believed there'd be no way i'd make it to the light switch without dying. Plus picking hide after about 2 times has her finding cover in a way that suggests she's trying to safely make to the light switch. I was willing to ride that out and see what happened.

Totally agree that that's what they were going for but
it should have been more clear you were hittin' that switch on your way out.
RIP BBQMike

Haha
I'm actually not sure why my instinct at that point was to run for it, I think I thought if I kept hiding, Sam would die? Like everyone would leave and she would sacrifice herself. I guess I felt like she was going to sacrifice herself.

I find it interesting that regardless what you do or your thought process, many people's first and foremost primal instinct is
your own survival (or in this case, Sam's since she's our surrogate in that portion of the game). I guess we're just wired to care more about ourselves first before others?l

Yeah thats a big nope.
Sam climbs directly out and heads straight back, by the time she arrives Mike only had like 5 minutes at best to go from the spot where he hid after Josh got dragged away to the cabin. Must have been the super secret exit.

I honestly thought too it was a Wendigo at first lol

I really liked how unsettling the camera-work was in that scene.
Personally, I though he was about to get iced from behind when the camera zoomed on his face and the music lingered. Or that it was one of those horror movie moments where a character would enter a scene and fall over with their back ripped open or something.

Supermassive should do a story similar to
The Thing
in the future. The scene in the basement with
Mike
and
Ashley
ganging up on
Emily
was really tense.

hbkdx12

I really liked how unsettling the camera-work was in that scene.
Personally, I though he was about to get iced from behind when the camera zoomed on his face and the music lingered. Or that it was one of those horror movie moments where a character would enter a scene and fall over with their back ripped open or something.

Supermassive should do a story similar to
The Thing
in the future. The scene in the basement with
Mike
and
Ashley
ganging up on
Emily
was really tense.

I agree. Very well done on both counts.

However, i'm glad that in the end they didn't have (hypothetical spoilers)
wendigo have shape shifting abilities. I could easily see it ruining the story with red herring after red herring of who's real, who's fake, etc

Omg I was almost done with a perfect all alive run through but then I made one mistake tried to restart the episode and it put it as if I had killed four of them previously, so made since I had started back at episode 2 all day to get to that point tonight, right in the last chapter even.

Will do it tomorrow, also just need one totem then Im done with all collectibles.

However, i'm glad that in the end they didn't have (hypothetical spoilers)
wendigo have shape shifting abilities. I could easily see it ruining the story with red herring after red herring of who's real, who's fake, etc

Absolutely. I mean, the idea is really enticing but I'd rather see that explored in it's own game with a separate set of themes and tropes, it would have just been distracting here.

Rozart

Holy shiiit this game is intense! Played Mike's
sanatorium
section last night. So far the jump scares haven't really got me but this time round I literally screeched in fright.

It's the seriously spooky setting compunded by the fact that I had just found a
loss totem
that featured
Matt being pummelled in the face by this hideously creepy looking creature (I can handle serial killers but pasty pale-skinned cannibals?? No thanks).

And having
a waving amputated hand
be the first thing that greets you when you enter the
morgue
? Genius. I immediately noped myself back out.

Hey guys, any word on if supermassive is going to put a frame rate limiter in this game? I know they can't lock it at 30fps, but they can at least make 30fps the max.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Omgggg totally dropped the ball at the end
Ran for the switch before I got Mike out. Sooo stupid. Really pissed me off too because Mike was such a boss the whole time and was my boy. I was just thinking I would eventually fail one of those "don't moves" and didn't even think about blowing him up. Fuuuuck. I failed you Mike.

Survived: Sam, Chris, Emily, Jessica.

Mike and Ashley I killed with my own stupidity. Matt and Josh I'm not sure how I got them killed cause it was out of my control mostly. Matt I think I could figure out... but Josh... not sure how you get him outta there.

Overall awesome game, big time breath of fresh air when my library is almost 100% FPS's and giant open world slogs. Two thumbs up.

And holy shit that post credits scene (spoiler)!!

So I guess Hannah recognized Josh and left him alive so he would have to eat and become one??

addik

reach that switch pronto

I really badly wanted to save everyone. I thought that they all understood that as soon as Mike broke the lightbulb and Sam ran for it, that they'd have to scram together. I didn't realize you had to wait for them one by one to save them.

And I was so pissed off after that too lol. I thought I saved everyone in my first play through.

Anyway, there's an ongoing thread in OT about how Tintin is the best looking CG movies. Seeing some gifs of it, I realize that Until Dawn had moments that nearly matched it. I can't believe we're at that level of visual fidelity.

Of course, that's discounting the random framerate hiccups and the odd visual glitches here and there, but this game is really graphically impressive.

So I guess Hannah recognized Josh and left him alive so he would have to eat and become one??
Yup. I also think that it was
Hannah who tried to kill Jess and soon after Emily in the tower because of their relation to Mike and spared him when he was wading through the water first. The game is really clever on so many levels if you think about it

Bio

Just finished the game a lil bit ago. Only had one death (spoilers) it was
Matt, right after the tower collapse. Shit felt incredibly cheap simply because i didn't give him the flare gun i had no choice but to just watch him be dragged off to die. As he's being dragged you can see him reach towards his pockets and at that moment i'm like "Oh, I guess i was suppose to give him the flare gun"

It really sucked cuz i feel like other close encounters with death that i've had with other characters, i felt like the game gave you options/an opportunity to save yourself or avoid the danger in the moment.

I think
he can also survive even without the flare gun if you just jump from the tower instead of trying to save Emily.

Anyway I only had one death as well, but mine was
Chris... missed a damn QTE, one of the only ones I failed in the game and it super counted. Instant Wendigo decapitation.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hannah who tried to kill Jess and soon after Emily in the tower because of their relation to Mike and spared him when he was wading through the water first. The game is really clever on so many levels if you think about it

Ohhhh yeah makes sense.
Plus it's watching Mike when he goes to save Jessica and he takes a shot at it with the rifle, but it doesn't pursue him.

carlsojo

It's almost funny the second time playing because
Jess is screaming at the top of her lungs: "WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX. AND IT IS GOING TO BE HOT. AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT." Hannah is TRIGGERED.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hahaha true!

Also (chapter 10)
What did Sam see in the journal that made her rush off to get Mike? I must not have noticed. Mike leaves and they're just chillin in the safe room, Sam starts flipping the journal then is like "omg we have to go get mike NOW." But it never elaborated the catalyst, unless I missed it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the plat of this game. It's pretty tedious but the part where
I have to kill all of them in specific ways
was gruesome but fun.

hesido

Do people come together in the end for a final showdown, or do people pretty much diverge into separate paths and die in small groups (therefore less permutations for the ending)

Replicant

Do people come together in the end for a final showdown, or do people pretty much diverge into separate paths and die in small groups (therefore less permutations for the ending)

Depends on your action,
they can either die alone quickly or they can all come together at the end.....to die together
. Ha ha, J/K! Or am I?

Hahaha true!

Also (chapter 10)
What did Sam see in the journal that made her rush off to get Mike? I must not have noticed. Mike leaves and they're just chillin in the safe room, Sam starts flipping the journal then is like "omg we have to go get mike NOW." But it never elaborated the catalyst, unless I missed it.

I think it's the part where
the Wendigos can mimic other people to lure their prey.

Top Bottom