• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Lo

Looks like you need a sync boost. Which is weird as the SNES usually has very strong sync, it's usually the mega drive that has issues.
What model?

STG!

Looks like you need a sync boost. Which is weird as the SNES usually has very strong sync, it's usually the mega drive that has issues.
What model?

Typically, I haven't had too many problems with the SNES, especially compared to the Genesis, that console is just a pain. Maybe because I don't use a Genny 1, it's always the 2, or the CDX which is what I'm currently using. The Duo-RX gave me a bit of an issue years ago when I was new to all of this.

A sync processor will sort out his problem though. Once you branch out into the RGB CRT world that doesn't start with PVM (and to a lesser extent the BVM) you'll need equipment like this. I always keep an extra processor on the side.

Khaz

Hello fellow XM29-er, don't panic, you're going to need to run the RGB through a sync processor. As great a monitor as it is, it's a very picky monitor, especially if you run arcade PCB's and Genesis/MD/SNES/SF. The sync processor will sort this out. An Extron SC 210 will do the trick as well as an Extron PA 250, even though the latter is an amplifier. And you can pick these up cheaply on eBay.

I use two for my setup: one that feeds into both my monitors, the other for capturing (as it can also split sync into H/V).

Don't you just need a sync stripper, like the one you can find here or make one yourself like here?

Adam Blue

Hello fellow XM29-er, don't panic, you're going to need to run the RGB through a sync processor. As great a monitor as it is, it's a very picky monitor, especially if you run arcade PCB's and Genesis/MD/SNES/SF. The sync processor will sort this out. An Extron SC 210 will do the trick as well as an Extron PA 250, even though the latter is an amplifier. And you can pick these up cheaply on eBay.

I use two for my setup: one that feeds into both my monitors, the other for capturing (as it can also split sync into H/V).

Thank you for the info! I'm ordering one now - worth a try, I guess. Also, there was very little info about this on the net (except for your post on the shmups forum, which I didn't think applied to me), so depending on how it works, I'll make a YouTube video about this.

Don't you just need a sync stripper, like the one you can find here or make one yourself like here?

My cables use csync - hence the Genesis working beautifully, and the SNES working at one point... it makes no sense, so maybe this sync processor will sort things out?

STG!

The Extron unit will also strip sync, so for example, I use it to seperate HV to feed into the XCapture-1. It can also handle sync on green as well. It's a neat solution.

Thank you for the info! I'm ordering one now - worth a try, I guess. Also, there was very little info about this on the net (except for your post on the shmups forum, which I didn't think applied to me), so depending on how it works, I'll make a YouTube video about this.

Yeah, these devices are mentioned on other forums like at shmups, but you might have to dig around a bit for info. Most people just call them processors.

I have seen people using just a sync strike for feeding signal to an xm29.

I recently got one of these at home to try it out, but I haven't had any free time to play with it on my setup... :-(

robot

Does anyone here who uses a framemeister stream classic games on twitch? Was looking for something to broadcast with - wondering if the Elgato Game Capture HD device would work.

baphomet

Does anyone here who uses a framemeister stream classic games on twitch? Was looking for something to broadcast with - wondering if the Elgato Game Capture HD device would work.

Ive not streamed, but I captured a bunch of stuff with it. Works fine as long as you're not capturing with scanlines. I have an avermedia extremecap u3 which does 1080p/60 now and works great.

There is a significant delay with the el gato that you would need to compensate for, but the u3 can be played off the capture screen if you really need to. Still better to play on a separate screen however.

Timu

Ive not streamed, but I captured a bunch of stuff with it. Works fine as long as you're not capturing with scanlines. I have an avermedia extremecap u3 which does 1080p/60 now and works great.

There is a significant delay with the el gato that you would need to compensate for, but the u3 can be played off the capture screen if you really need to. Still better to play on a separate screen however.
This is why I have 2 internal capture cards, so I don't have to play on a separate screen at all, just on my own PC!

StevieWhite

I have streamed using the framemesiter through en elgato game capture HD. No problems to report yet (other than the fact you get about ten times less views than when you stream modern games :( )

Like other folks in this thread though, I primarily use it to capture images.

Speaking of scanlines, I always hated them with a passion but have come to realize it makes retro games look much better, as if the games were built with scanlines in mind. Remove the scanlines and you get kind of a blurry mess (it still looks great though).

Peltz

I ended up with this last night which doesn't look too awful for scanlines. Its also in 60fps.

Gradius Galaxies - GameBoy Player - 240p: http://youtu.be/Y65YdGGk-BY

I really wished that the XRGB Mini made every non-scanlined row of pixels brighter when it applied the scanlines. I'd bet that "graphical-half" of the rows being brighter than the "scanlined half" would make the fake lines look far less fake. Increasing brightness settings seems to increase brightness across the board on the whole image, which isn't really how it should work in my opinion.

Madao

i've streamed with a framemeister + Avermedia live HD card. it works fine (although i've only streamed N64/GC era games so far)

How do you guys get your Dreamcast to output 480p on a pvm? Do you hanzo into a component converter?

Also do any of you know where I can get a good scart male to male cable? I bought one from retro console accessories but they are sold out.

baphomet

How do you guys get your Dreamcast to output 480p on a pvm? Do you hanzo into a component converter?

Also do any of you know where I can get a good scart male to male cable? I bought one from retro console accessories but they are sold out.

You'll only be able to get 480p on a few types of pvm. A 20L5 is probably the most common type that supports 480p. Otherwise you'll have to do 240p/480i depending on the game.

I just buy male to male scart cables off eBay. I have a few high quality ones, and bunch of cheaper ones.

antibolo

Banned
Do 20L5s actually support VGA though? Or can you only achieve 480p through component, which the Dreamcast does not do natively?

Madao

i've read VC games on Wii and Wii U have some input lag. has anyone measured it?

also, how does it stack against the input lag obtained from running the original consoles with framemeister on an HDTV?

antibolo

Banned
i've read VC games on Wii and Wii U have some input lag. has anyone measured it?

also, how does it stack against the input lag obtained from running the original consoles with framemeister on an HDTV?

I think it's been proven that Wii U VC games lag on the GamePad. Which is weird because the GamePad usually does not lag more than one frame (ie. better latency than most HDTVs).

Apart from that I'd say no, although emulation is by nature laggy by at least one frame but that doesn't really count.

And of course if you output a 240p signal (which is what Wii VC games usually run at) to an HDTV it will usually lag a lot, but that's not the Wii's fault.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
NES and SNES VC games on the Wii U are fucked up. For some reason they add an extra frame of lag on the Gamepad that doesn't exist when playing pretty much any other Wii U game. This is in addition to the native 1 frame or so of delay that's inherent to the Gamepad itself, plus whatever delay is incurred from the actual emulation. All of those things by themselves are insignificant, but when put together it can be pretty noticeable.

IIRC, GBA VC games don't suffer from this issue. Based M2 still delivers.

And of course if you output a 240p signal (which is what Wii VC games usually run at) to an HDTV it will usually lag a lot, but that's not the Wii's fault.
The Wii U VC doesn't output 240p.

You'll only be able to get 480p on a few types of pvm. A 20L5 is probably the most common type that supports 480p. Otherwise you'll have to do 240p/480i depending on the game.

I just buy male to male scart cables off eBay. I have a few high quality ones, and bunch of cheaper ones.

I have a pvm 20L5, and I've already achieved 480p on it. Just wondering how I should go about getting my dc to output 480p.

Peltz

What the fuck Mega Man 9 on Wii? It's locked at 480i?! Who's dumb idea was that? Is there any way to play Mega Man 9 in 240p? Even on Wii U set to 1080p via HDMI, the game looks so weird and feels so damn laggy. What a mess.

What's the best way to play MM9?

I have a pvm 20L5, and I've already achieved 480p on it. Just wondering how I should go about getting my dc to output 480p.

Assuming you want to toggle between 240p and 480p via SCART:

http://www.beharbros.com/#!toro/cfom

Yes, 480p *is* possible via SCART. Whether your monitor will accept it via RGB is a good question though. This thing was more built for - and tested with - the XRGB-Mini. Most TV manufacturers probably associated 480p with component input, so I question whether the PVM will accept a 480p RGB signal. Chances are, you'd be the first person to try it on the PVM 20L5 if you went this route.

Otherwise, the only way to get 480p out of the DC that I know of is via VGA.

baphomet

Like Peltz said. You'll need a sync combiner, and the most common one is the Kenzei. That should convert the VGA to a 480p signal through scart and then that into a scart to BNC cable should work on the PVM. I've not tried it, but that is the first thing I would try.

Just hooked a Saturn up via RGB to my Framemeister and things are looking pretty damn sharp. Now I just need to get ahold of some halfway decent Saturn games. In the meantime, I've been playing...

World Series Baseball II
YouTube video

Ayrton Senna Personal Talk: Message for the Future (WTF?)
YouTube video

Like Peltz said. You'll need a sync combiner, and the most common one is the Kenzei. That should convert the VGA to a 480p signal through scart and then that into a scart to BNC cable should work on the PVM. I've not tried it, but that is the first thing I would try.

I see the kenzei, and it has a scart out on it. Do you think I could hook that into my dc, male to male scart from the kenzei to a pvm scart cable then that into the pvm?

baphomet

I see the kenzei, and it has a scart out on it. Do you think I could hook that into my dc, male to male scart from the kenzei to a pvm scart cable then that into the pvm?

Exactly.

VGA from the Dreamcast into the kenzei and scart from the kenzei tk a scart to BNC cable into the pvm. You want to make sure you have a switch on the VGA cable to switch from rgb to VGA though so you have full compatibility. I believe they make something called the toro which is basically a hanzo VGA and kenzei in the same box. That may be something to look into as well.

Exactly.

VGA from the Dreamcast into the kenzei and scart from the kenzei tk a scart to BNC cable into the pvm. You want to make sure you have a switch on the VGA cable to switch from rgb to VGA though so you have full compatibility. I believe they make something called the toro which is basically a hanzo VGA and kenzei in the same box. That may be something to look into as well.

Nice. Would you suggest the Toro or kenzei? I'm planning to get it asap.

antibolo

Banned
What the fuck Mega Man 9 on Wii? It's locked at 480i?! Who's dumb idea was that? Is there any way to play Mega Man 9 in 240p? Even on Wii U set to 1080p via HDMI, the game looks so weird and feels so damn laggy. What a mess.

It's even worse than that, 480p isn't supported either. I bought that game at launch and I was so pissed. It also scales badly if widescreen is enabled (nearest neighbor scaling to compensate for aspect ratio), so you have to disable widescreen in your Wii settings when playing that game.

And Mega Man 10 is also like that, so they didn't even learn.

What's the best way to play MM9?

Forget the Wii version and get the PS3 or 360 version instead. You still won't get 240p, but at least it's not crippled to fucking 480i.

Assuming you want to toggle between 240p and 480p via SCART:

http://www.beharbros.com/#!toro/cfom

Yes, 480p *is* possible via SCART. Whether your monitor will accept it via RGB is a good question though. This thing was more built for - and tested with - the XRGB-Mini. Most TV manufacturers probably associated 480p with component input, so I question whether the PVM will accept a 480p RGB signal. Chances are, you'd be the first person to try it on the PVM 20L5 if you went this route.

Otherwise, the only way to get 480p out of the DC that I know of is via VGA.
I have the 20L5 and Toro, and can confirm it does 480p on Scart. Looks great! The whole 480p thing through Scart was brought up here, and as soon as I got the Toro, I tested it. I came back here with my results and not a shit was given at the time. :p

I highly recommend the Toro if you need all of the features (sync combiner, Scart output, etc) It actually saved me a little bit of money on having to buy a sync combiner and a VGA box since it's an all in one unit. I was really quite happy about the purchase

One thing to note-- if you go with the Toro, the VGA/RGB switch is backwards-- so you'd set the switch to RGB to display in VGA, and vice versa. I was banging my head thinking I was going to be stuck with 480i through Scart until I messaged Beharius and he informed me the PCB had it labelled backwards.

Kadmac25

Sorry guys, I am a little confused.

I just purchased a Sony Trinitron PVM-14N6U and I am trying to buy the SCART and PVM adapter.

I am wondering if I will need csync or not. Retro_console_accessories has the normal SNES SCART and SNES Csync SCART cord. Retrogamingcables.com has the PVM Adapter which has pure sync singal as well.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

Do I get the csync and pvm adapter or should I leave the cysnc out with a PVM?

I have the 20L5 and Toro, and can confirm it does 480p on Scart. Looks great! The whole 480p thing through Scart was brought up here, and as soon as I got the Toro, I tested it. I came back here with my results and not a shit was given at the time. :p

I highly recommend the Toro if you need all of the features (sync combiner, Scart output, etc) It actually saved me a little bit of money on having to buy a sync combiner and a VGA box since it's an all in one unit. I was really quite happy about the purchase

One thing to note-- if you go with the Toro, the VGA/RGB switch is backwards-- so you'd set the switch to RGB to display in VGA, and vice versa. I was banging my head thinking I was going to be stuck with 480i through Scart until I messaged Beharius and he informed me the PCB had it labelled backwards.

Thanks dude, I'll go ahead and buy the Toro instead of Kenzei (too bad Toro is only up for preorder).

Peltz

Sorry guys, I am a little confused.

I just purchased a Sony Trinitron PVM-14N6U and I am trying to buy the SCART and PVM adapter.

I am wondering if I will need csync or not. Retro_console_accessories has the normal SNES SCART and SNES Csync SCART cord. Retrogamingcables.com has the PVM Adapter which has pure sync singal as well.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

Do I get the csync and pvm adapter or should I leave the cysnc out with a PVM?

Um.. why would you leave it out?

P.S. I use the brand in the link below with my 2 monitors, one of which is a PVM, and it yields a flawless picture combined with all SCART cables I used from Retro_console_accessories (which is five of them in all):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c90f5491e

FYI: I think a person here has said unflattering things about a something they tested from Retrogamingcables.com. I never used them though.

EDIT: Gayformaster, just a fair warning, I ordered my Toro from them on Oct 19th (BEFORE they ran out of stock) and am still waiting for it. It may be a little while.

Peltz

Thanks dude, I'll go ahead and buy the Toro instead of Kenzei (too bad Toro is only up for preorder).

By the way, just because the Toro outputs 480p via SCART doesn't necessarily mean that you're monitor will accept 480p that way.

I'm curious: has anyone actually tried to do 480p via SCART to any 480p-native monitor? It'd be cool of crts accepted progressive scan through SCART with the same frequency as component. But I haven't found much on this.

By the way, just because the Toro outputs 480p via SCART doesn't necessarily mean that you're monitor will accept 480p that way.

I'm curious: has anyone actually tried to do 480p via SCART to any 480p-native monitor? It'd be cool of crts accepted progressive scan through SCART with the same frequency as component. But I haven't found much on this.
He stated he has a 20L5-- I replied to his post a few posts up. I have a 20L5 and it states a 480p signal is being displayed when I use the Toro set to VGA mode with the Scart connection. If I toggle to RGB, I get a 480i connection.

Peltz

He stated he has a 20L5-- I replied to his post a few posts up. I have a 20L5 and it states a 480p signal is being displayed when I use the Toro set to VGA mode with the Scart connection. If I toggle to RGB, I get a 480i connection.

Sorry... reading comprehension error. My bad!

Looks like Gayformaster is in for perfect IQ from his DC... eventually.

Sorry... reading comprehension error. My bad!

Looks like Gayformaster is in for perfect IQ from his DC... eventually.
I was mainly concerned if you were saying you can't trust what the monitor states the resolution is, which is why I wanted to jump in. It feels good knowing I'm getting 480p, so I wanted to make sure I can keep feeling good. =p

Also, I think you brought up an interesting point. 480p Component=480p Scart? If the resolution is the same, is it equal?

I'm also wondering if I'm getting a 31khz display-- the 20l5 can also display 31khz. But I really have no idea if I'm getting 31khz versus 15khz. Beharius seemed to suggest I should be getting it, but I don't believe the 20L5 tells me what khz I'm displaying in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom