• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Lo

I know those work like shit for switches so I assumed they would work bad as distribution. I have one here somewhere I guess I could try and see how it works.
well yeah but you won't have any cross-channel interference with only one signal.

The only possible issue would be poor shielding.

antibolo

Banned
Anyone know if there's anything that will split 1 scart signal into 2? Basically want to run consoles to both my PVM and xrgb.

Don't all PVMs have a passthrough output for that very purpose? You could just connect another scart to bnc cable on the outputs.

dodgeme

Theres a few Ikegami monitors on ebay for not too terrible of prices. Haven't really seen them in use by anyone yet though so I wouldn't want to be the one to jump in. The ones I've found on ebay do support RGB so I can't imagine they'd be that bad.

Is the power supply for a Sony pvm 20L5 proprietary? I just realized I don't one with my pvm.

EDIT: NVM, works with a ps3 power supply just fine.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well said. I love scanlines, but I often find that when I fire up a retro game with scanlines enabled at a party or whatever, folks will frequently ask "what's with the lines?" If you like 'em, you like 'em. They are by no means required.
That's true. But by analogy, how many people would say "what's with the bars?" when watching a letterboxed movie? How many of them would just stretch the image if initially given a choice?

Many people may be unaware of how an image originally was, and show confusion at modern tricks to display them that way. It doesn't mean we should rush to accommodate them by turning scanlines off. If people understand the reasoning behind scanlines, they may come around to them.

Definitely to each their own though. I love that it's a button toggle away.

BONKERS

Maintaining a proper AR is something that is beyond irritating. Something that made me crazy about DBZ new blu-rays. I mean fucking come on, how hard is it to hit the ZOOM button?

Ugh.

antibolo

Banned
Maintaining a proper AR is something that is beyond irritating. Something that made me crazy about DBZ new blu-rays. I mean fucking come on, how hard is it to hit the ZOOM button?

Ugh.

Don't ever watch the DVD version of Babylon 5, it will drive you nuts.

Anyone here with a PVM can verify if this is a problem? My 240p devices seem to he running as interlaced (480/60i). It looks great but I'm wondering if I'm missing something here, can I not run them as progressive?

Post pics.

Sure, although like everyone says: "pictures don't do it justice"

It looks A LOT BETTER in person but I feel like it can be better if I could somehow run it in a non interlaced mode.

HcSYPaG.jpg

Well alright the, I guess I'm set! Did I mention how amazing 480p looks on this as well? Its like its almost HD because of how freaking clean this shit looks. I'm gonna post some more pics soon, I really love this thing!

ToD_

Well alright the, I guess I'm set! Did I mention how amazing 480p looks on this as well? Its like its almost HD because of how freaking clean this shit looks. I'm gonna post some more pics soon, I really love this thing!

Just to be sure. In the pictures the scanlines look static. Is that how they look in person? As in, they don't look like they're alternating/scrolling?

Peltz

Please post 480p pictures. I really want to see what 480p looks like on a 480p-native set.

Peltz

FYI, not good shots at all, but I finally got around to doing this. Here is a comparison between RGB (by retro_console_accessories) vs Component (1st party) both captured with same settings on the Framemeister.

RGB:

1911794_10100874951517050_4799453037262382926_n.jpg

Component:

1743728_10100874951512060_532929032833550059_n.jpg

Sorry, I have no way of directly capturing this. I wish we can save screenshots onto the SD card in the Framemeister. The difference is quite noticeable in person. The iphone pics are not really picking up what I'm seeing.

In person, the color red via Component looks a bit oversaturated and dominates the picture a bit too much. For example, the gold shine on the right most part of the red Castlevania logo (in the corners) is far more pronounced via RGB than it is via Component.

Color separation is indeed just far more pristine over RGB. Which is very interesting considering both pictures are equally sharp and detailed. I could find nothing "lost" via component or vice versa. Each image has the same level of detail. Based on my gut and observations, it feels like each pixel represents the same exact thing, but RGB perhaps just looks slightly more "calibrated" and natural without any adjustments. Component looks like someone changed the tint/chroma/color settings to look slighty inaccurate.

But sharpness, contrast, brightness, and details and even overall IQ looks pretty much the same.

Edit: dodgeme, check your PM's.

Guys, I want to follow up on this. It turns out, my framemeister (or perhaps all framemeisters) processes component signals very poorly for some reason. When I plug the component cables from PS2 and GCN directly into my HDTV, the color separation and overall IQ is far, far better.

So my post from a few days back (quoted above) should be disregarded when assessing PS2's component vs. RGB output.

I will reassess shortly. I fear that the D-Terminal adapter that I have is to blame for the loss in quality. However, it may just be that the Framemeister is not good as good at processing component input as it is at processing RGB. But, it also seems like other people get far better IQ from component sources when using the Framemeister. So I cannot conclude with any degree of accuracy way what is responsible for the quality loss and I apologize for any confusion.

But I can confirm this: PS2's component output via 1st party cables is a lot more comparable to RGB than I originally thoughT... if not equal in quality. I'll update everyone as I experiment further.

Can anyone recommend a good Component to D-Terminal cable?

dodgeme

Got my 20 inch olympus oev 203 in today. Kind of forgot how large and heavy one of these are. Beautiful picture though. Ill get some shots for you guys later tonight.

Please post 480p pictures. I really want to see what 480p looks like on a 480p-native set.

Of course, ill show you how amazing it looks later. I'll be busy but I can upload some in about 8 hours.

Just to be sure. In the pictures the scanlines look static. Is that how they look in person? As in, they don't look like they're alternating/scrolling?

I know what you mean I think..., but the whole thing looks pretty static. I don't see it shaky like when I 480i on my wii. I expected it to be shaky since its telling me its 480/60i but maybe its actually doing 240p?

Peltz

Of course, ill show you how amazing it looks later. I'll be busy but I can upload some in about 8 hours.

I know what you mean I think..., but the whole thing looks pretty static. I don't see it shaky like when I 480i on my wii. I expected it to be shaky since its telling me its 480/60i but maybe its actually doing 240p?

Yea, if those scanlines are not moving, it's 240p.

Peagles

My PVM always says it's 480i, I just think it isn't able to say 240p. It certainly does 240p though.

SegaShack

Anyone here with a PVM can verify if this is a problem? My 240p devices seem to he running as interlaced (480/60i). It looks great but I'm wondering if I'm missing something here, can I not run them as progressive?

My PVM 20L5 says the same thing, any source lower than 480p it says "480i" for. Nothing to be concerned about. Congrats and welcome to the 20L5 club. Remember it can go up to 1080i as well over component :).

Here's what it is on my 20L5. I'm not sure what's native to it as it goes to higher resolutions. but here you go. Looks much better in person and it's calibrated too.

ToD_

Does the PVM 20L5 allow for basic alignment adjustments (width, height, position etc) through the setup menus?

Peltz

My PVM 20L5 says the same thing, any source lower than 480p it says "480i" for. Nothing to be concerned about. Congrats and welcome to the 20L5 club. Remember it can go up to 1080i as well over component :).

Here's what it is on my 20L5. I'm not sure what's native to it as it goes to higher resolutions. but here you go. Looks much better in person and it's calibrated too.

It looks like there's almost no jaggies!? Would you say that's a fair statement when seeing it in person?

It looks like there's almost no jaggies!? Would you say that's a fair statement when seeing it in person?

I can attest to the fact that there are indeed almost no jaggies! I've never played such an immaculate Melee.

Thank you by the way for letting me know about the 480i message displaying regardless. This thing is really so damn magical.

SegaShack

Yes, that is true. It's really hard to get a picture of this though. It looks much different in person, a lot sharper and the colors are so natural, it's amazing.

Yes, that is true. It's really hard to get a picture of this though. It looks much different in person, a lot sharper and the colors are so natural, it's amazing.

I noticed by default my chroma was at 50 and brightness at 5. I boosted the brightness to 15ish and chroma to 80, but I'm wondering what your values are for chroma/brightness? Chroma at 50 didn't seem to give off vibrant colours but I'm still wondering if I should have it at 80 or 100. Thank you again by the way for doing the whole extron thing as well, I'll have one in due time to reduce the amount of work required behind the pvm.

Do pvms have universal power cords? I've got a bunch of three pronged desktop computer cords around. Anyway I could modify those to work?

Pappasman

I've been stressing over the best way to play Mother 3 and I think getting it on a cart and putting through the GB player would be the best, but then I wanted to take it a step further.

I've been reading about using the homebrew program Swiss to force the Gamecube's GB player to 240p. It seems like this is the best way to play GBA games. Am I missing something? Does anyone have suggestions?

I've been stressing over the best way to play Mother 3 and I think getting it on a cart and putting through the GB player would be the best, but then I wanted to take it a step further.

I've been reading about using the homebrew program Swiss to force the Gamecube's GB player to 240p. It seems like this is the best way to play GBA games. Am I missing something? Does anyone have suggestions?

It looks great through Swiss, but GBA player is less than ideal because of the stuttering. You won't be hitting any combos in Mother 3, that's for sure.

BONKERS

I can definitely see aliasing even in those low res pictures.

They may be less noticeable, but aliasing will always exist if it exists on the source no matter the display.

BONKERS

Well, if you can put up with the IL and the stuttering, 240p with the GBP is not a horrible option.

Mother 3 doesn't have any sections that need split second correct timing does it?

Another strike against retrogamingcables. Friend sent me this Neo Geo AES to install the bypass mod on. It's an AES 3-6, so theoretically only the traces need to be cut, which the friend did but the image was still messed up. To me, red looked absent.

Before:

e7qjfV9.jpg

Fix and after:

IYkMkIv.jpg

o7N0Lep.jpg

Would the average person buying from them be satisfied with a faulty cable? No.

antibolo

Banned
Well, if you can put up with the IL and the stuttering, 240p with the GBP is not a horrible option.

Mother 3 doesn't have any sections that need split second correct timing does it?

Actually, I haven't played it (yet), but from my understanding the battles are basically rhythm games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom