• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NTSC Gamecube and Wii don't output RGB.
Only a few select European SMS2 output RGB natively.
You are much more likely to get a Scart cable in a european bundle.

If you factor in modding, there are very few reasons to import a console from another continent instead of getting a cheap local one at a flea market. The only reason I could think of is if the carts are physically different between regions, like the US SNES or the Japanese Famicom.

Hmm. You don't ever want a PAL NES. PAL SNES needs someone to mod it.

Does anyone have experience getting HD resolutions on a PVM 20L5? It's the weirdest thing, trying to get it from my OG Xbox. It's a modded system, not sure if that is affecting it somehow. I go into the system settings and select 1080i, but the monitor doesn't change. But if I launch the Avalaunch loader, it forces the console/display into 1080i. But then when I launch a game it reverts back to 480. Lol say what?

Peltz

Does anyone have experience getting HD resolutions on a PVM 20L5? It's the weirdest thing, trying to get it from my OG Xbox. It's a modded system, not sure if that is affecting it somehow. I go into the system settings and select 1080i, but the monitor doesn't change. But if I launch the Avalaunch loader, it forces the console/display into 1080i. But then when I launch a game it reverts back to 480. Lol say what?

OG Xbox outputs the native resolution of the game/app without upscaling even if you select 1080i. It will still output 480p for all games unless the specific game you're trying to play supports 720p or 1080i. Only a few did, like SoulCalibur 2.

So what you're experiencing is normal.

After years of debating and trying to find an emulation set-up to my liking, I've finally decided to go ahead and get an XRGB mini, along with all the bells and whistles to get my PAL systems to an optimal video output. I've started my quest by ordering the RGB mod for the regular PAL N64 model, which my brother-in-law is going to install. I've also just placed an order at consolegoods.co.uk for a SNES PAL RGB Scart cable and a GameCube PAL RGB Scart cable (which is supposed to work with the modded N64).

So now I'm on the market for the XRGB mini itself. The OP is very insightful, and skimming through the thread, I've seen some people dealing with a guy named Yakumo, who's account has unfortunately been banned. However, he's still selling the things. Can someone vouch for him? Or should I just go with Solaris Japan?

And I'm also looking for a good way to connect multiple Euro Scart cables to a single JP-21. I've seen this cable on retrogamingcables.co.uk but I'm not sure if it's something I need in the first place (because I think there's a scart to jp21 converter in the package with the XRGB mini) and if so, if I'll need the USB extra powered version. Besides that, I'm also going to need a switch. Is the Hama AV100S any good? It's the only decently priced one I can find, but it's passive, which makes me a bit weary to buy it.

Thanks for the insightful debate so far and I hope someone can answer my questions.

Just to repeat, don't buy that scart switch. I took it out of my set up this evening and the PQ improved instantly. Either that box or the scart cable was fucking it up. I'm going to try a different cable. Sure I've got one somewhere

IrishNinja

good Genesis ones were linked a few pages back i wanna say?, saturn i havne't seen yet but i need to keep up with that thread on SHMUPs too

The Genesis ones I downloaded several pages back were from a guy that didn't use scan lines and everything looked weird when I turned them on.

IrishNinja

that's the same source, then - and i just checked, he's got GC profiles too, including one specifically for F-Zero GX. his page says he doesn't fancy scanlines, but i wanna say i have em on with one of his SNES setups and it looks fantastic.

Lynd7

So does anyone know why on my PVM there is what looks like a ripple in the image? Its only really noticeable on horizontal scrolling images, like say Sonic etc. The corner of the image seems to pinch in on the right hand side too. I guess the image is just slightly uneven in certain parts or something.

I've been playing N64, so it's not that noticeable, but I am curious if this is just the set itself, or if the calibration is off.

When I was using the test suite, the squares etc seemed mostly square. Im not too worried, I'd like to find an explanation though.

Thanks.

megamanfan1500

Neo Member
Whats up everyone? I just posted my latest review on my channel for the shooter, GUNBIRD on Sega Saturn (aka Mobile Light Force). The footage looks SWEET using my inexpensive SCART to HDMI scaler! Captured on the Elgato.

https://youtu.be/ZSpGvr25JvA

Great review! Gunbird looks awesome on the saturn. Truly something I need to pick up. By the way, huge fan of yours from back when you co-hosted Classic Game Room with Marc and recently subscribed to your channel. Really enjoying it so far!

that's the same source, then - and i just checked, he's got GC profiles too, including one specifically for F-Zero GX. his page says he doesn't fancy scanlines, but i wanna say i have em on with one of his SNES setups and it looks fantastic.
I had a really weird picture with his Genesis profile turning on scan lines. They were uneven, every other lines being different sizes, and some of the options under scan lines in the menu were grayed out and unavailable. I suppose it was something to do with the video mode being used.
Any way I'm having a problem of red no longer working on my Genesis, even turning up "red" to max in color settings. Everything is tinted...anti-red. A few days ago I was playing Sonic 1 and the color palette looked fine. Below are photos from SoR 2 to show.
Photo%20May%2011%209%2039%2044%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2011%209%2040%2040%20PM.jpg

Figure I'll ask here while it's on my mind:

Where should I order a N64 RGB mod board from? I've seen them on a few sites and I'm not sure which is quickest/most reasonable for the east coast USA.

baphomet

yeah, i can't tell you about the lines but this is it for red - my N64 RGB got banged up in a recent move, and i gotta fiddle with it for the same reasons.

If you know it's an issue with the system and not the cable feel free to send it my way and I'll take a look at it. I don't think I did yours originally, but I can definitely fix it if its something bugging you.

Ban Puncher

good luck nine!
there's a gaffer (i wanna say retro core?) that sells them from his site & B/S/T sometimes, i bought mine off Solaris - they had great customer service (replaced the remote when mine died) and also they sell a d-terminal to component converter that came in handy!

Yakumo was his name, and he's been banned from GAF for ages, lmao.

He still seems to be in the business of selling FMs though, as per his last YouTube video.

I got my Framemeister through Yakumo. Dude is legit. He even picked up a d-terminal to component cable for me.

hey - anyone have any experience with playing PSX games through the PS3 and then through the FM? What resolution should I set the console at? Does it make a difference whether I use disc or downloads? I seem to have downloads from the US PSN store but also PAL original discs as well in most cases - will the discs run at shitty PAL speeds?

Great review! Gunbird looks awesome on the saturn. Truly something I need to pick up. By the way, huge fan of yours from back when you co-hosted Classic Game Room with Marc and recently subscribed to your channel. Really enjoying it so far!

Thanks for watching and subbing megamanfan! I'm glad you're digging the videos so far:) lots more to come. Might be getting together with Mark this summer too to get a brief old school collaboration going again. We shall see!

Hmm that's a real bummer. I got it from retro_console_accessories just a week or 2 ago and plugged it in and haven't touched it or anything.

Looks like the red line has come unattached.

These third party RGB cable makers are basically cowboys, do they even know how to solder properly? A cable shouldn't become inoperable during shipping.

This is why I stick to official cables.

if it's a scart cable perhaps open it up and see if anything's obviously not right?
I just tried unplugging and reconnecting the SCART to FM connection and red came back. I don't know what was loose but it was either the male to female SCART or the connection from there into the FM RGB in. I hope I don't have to continuously jiggle the wires to get them to work and it was a one time fluke.

These third party RGB cable makers are basically cowboys, do they even know how to solder properly? A cable shouldn't become inoperable during shipping.

This is why I stick to official cables.
I hear you, but I don't know of an official SCART to FM RGB in cable or an official NTSC Genesis SCART cable. Also the retro_console_accessories seller is considered to be the best cable maker by many competent solderers on this very forum.

An official PAL RGB cable will work just fine, provided you have an EU RGB to Framemeister adaptor.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321689366724

With both retro_console_accessories and retrogamingcables I've heard issues. I've personally experience many issues with retrogamingcables products.

Most recently a friend purchase a cable for his Master System. It has the wrong DIN on the end, so he has to force it in for it to function properly. The seller is feigning ignorance.

An official PAL RGB cable will work just fine, provided you have an EU RGB to Framemeister adaptor.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321689366724

With both retro_console_accessories and retrogamingcables I've heard issues. I've personally experience many issues with retrogamingcables products.

Most recently a friend purchase a cable for his Master System. It has the wrong DIN on the end, so he has to force it in for it to function properly. The seller is feigning ignorance.
I do have an adaptor, also from retro_console. The thing about my model 1 SCART cable is that it has the headphone jack audio fed in so I have stereo. Without that I would need to have a breakout audio box between my SCART and XRGB RGB adaptor, and then run separate audio cables from the headphone jack to the FM. And now that I think of it that wouldn't work either because there isn't a separate audio in for the RGB channel. I'm surprised though, I've only heard good things about that seller and when things are messed up they make it good.

Madao

I do have an adaptor, also from retro_console. The thing about my model 1 SCART cable is that it has the headphone jack audio fed in so I have stereo. Without that I would need to have a breakout audio box between my SCART and XRGB RGB adaptor, and then run separate audio cables from the headphone jack to the FM. And now that I think of it that wouldn't work either because there isn't a separate audio in for the RGB channel. I'm surprised though, I've only heard good things about that seller and when things are messed up they make it good.

do you mean the RGB input on the FM? that can receive audio over the RGB cable.

Indeed. The official cable only supports Mono officially though, hence him mentioning stereo.

Making a breakout cable for stereo is simplicity in itself though, I wouldn't really look at that as an issue per se but I guess it depends on your level of tech prowess. You're also able to mod the cable and console so that it support stereo without the need for the breakout cable.

I'm kinda lucky in that my monitor only has a mono speaker so I don't concern myself with stereo.

Peltz

hey - anyone have any experience with playing PSX games through the PS3 and then through the FM? What resolution should I set the console at? Does it make a difference whether I use disc or downloads? I seem to have downloads from the US PSN store but also PAL original discs as well in most cases - will the discs run at shitty PAL speeds?

Don't do that. PS3 will not output PS1 games in 240p. I think they render internally at a higher resolution (800x600?) then upscale to 1080p when played on a PS3. Framemeister should have no place in that equation. Just let the PS3 do the upscaling if you are going to use the PS3.

By the way, PS3 adds 1-3 frames of input lag to your PS1 games. I personally would only play PS1 games on a real PS1 or PS2 console if you plan to have a genuine CRT setup or have a desire to see it upscaled using the FM. Considering how cheap old PS1 and PS2 hardware is on eBay, I think you're shortchanging yourself by using a PS3 to play PS1 games.

cheers. fuck buying a playstation. I'm already deep enough in this rabbit hole. No way I'm getting any deeper.

PS3 versions will have to do. Thank god I bought the games through the US store.

I feel like we need a companion audio thread. I couldn't imagine settling for the mono speaker on my PVM while enjoying such an excellent picture.

Peltz

I feel like we need a companion audio thread. I couldn't imagine settling for the mono speaker on my PVM while enjoying such an excellent picture.

I don't think that an audio thread would need to have a retro focus. Good audio is good audio.

Any good sound system will make retro games sound great.

I don't recall how my PVM speaker sounds but I adore how the mono speaker sounds on my KX-14CP1.

If I had more space to work with I'd definitely get an integrated amplifier and speakers but I already have a set hooked up to my desktop. The joys of having everything you own in a single room!

Khaz

I am considering the possibility of modding audio out directly from the console with3.5mm switch jacks sockets. The idea being that the sound would go to either the TV or the amp, and not both, effectively killing any audio interferences coming from the cheap Scart cable.

Then some consoles can do Digital out, but I need a good DAC, and that can be expensive. Audiophile expensive.

I've been thinking if I ever did want to get stereo out of my KX-14CP1 I would install a DPDT toggle switch and install RCA phono jacks in the side of the monitor.

The SCART socket is part of a modular input panel so this would be fairly easy to do and would have pretty effective results I believe.

Just buy some simple bookshelf speakers and an amp, I use these. I'm sure it's overkill and you could get away with some shitty powered 2.1 set up though. Looks like Micca is making powered versions of these now to, but no idea about the quality of the amp in them. Is cheaper right now to get the powered version then the non powered with a cheepo amp. Something about a lowered price because they mislabeled left and right on the current batch...

I'd suggest spending that much money on some speakers from the 90s or 80s. You'll almost certainly get better value for money. Mind you I'm quite the brand whore when it comes to audio, in addition to video games.

For my desktop my amplifier was about £40 (local collection) with an RRP of £200 but I blew £300 on speakers, and they had £120 off.

I'd suggest spending that much money on some speakers from the 90s or 80s. You'll almost certainly get better value for money. Mind you I'm quite the brand whore when it comes to audio, in addition to video games.

For my desktop my amplifier was about £40 (local collection) with an RRP of £200 but I blew £300 on speakers, and they had £120 off.

Yeah, they were $60 when I bought them so have gone up in price. Probably because of being popular since they reviewed real well in some circles.

Madao

the good thing about audio is that the same surround setup for the HD consoles works on the old ones without much problem since most receivers process analog audio well.

Until you run into the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Well, I'm not so sure about the Xbox One but because the PlayStation 4 has no Multi AV port you're unable to hook up RCA jacks like you could with the PlayStation 3.

flyover

Offhand, does anyone know if the Framemeister strips HDCP? Might be one use for the HDMI inputs, if so. (I know there are several HDMI splitters that do the trick, but I was just curious if the Framemeister does so, too.)

Coda

Anyone know where I can buy a EuroSCART cable within the US? I don't want to buy from the UK if I don't have to. Thanks.

OG Xbox outputs the native resolution of the game/app without upscaling even if you select 1080i. It will still output 480p for all games unless the specific game you're trying to play supports 720p or 1080i. Only a few did, like SoulCalibur 2.

So what you're experiencing is normal.
I want to piggy back on the question you answered-- I tried setting the Xbox to 720p on the launcher, but wind up getting a letterbox picture on my PVM20L5. Is that normal? I was under the impression that 4:3 could display a 720p picture fine, but maybe I'm wrong.

Offhand, does anyone know if the Framemeister strips HDCP? Might be one use for the HDMI inputs, if so. (I know there are several HDMI splitters that do the trick, but I was just curious if the Framemeister does so, too.)
I know that it doesn't. I wanted to use an HDMI input for Apple TV and thought maybe I could watch shit with scan lines for fun. Not only can you do no processing on the HDMI pass through, but after a day of having it hooked up the HDCP came up and it stopped working. I'm assuming it's cause Micomsoft makes a lot of capture cards and Apple labeled their products as capturing devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom