• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

I just realized through my medical studies that many hospitals usually have tons of unused PVM:s (mainly Trinitrons) as they are being replaced by flatscreen displays. Going to contact the technical director and see if it's possible to get one for a fair price.

... can you pass some info to me sir?

If it can do Scart RGB or Component, I think it's fair.

Thanks. I'll inquire into it a bit more, but if I could get my hand on a broadcast monitor, that would be awsum.

I just realized through my medical studies that many hospitals usually have tons of unused PVM:s (mainly Trinitrons) as they are being replaced by flatscreen displays. Going to contact the technical director and see if it's possible to get one for a fair price.
Interesting, care to share any info on this? I know several people who would be interested in the same, it's just tough to know which places to contact.

Regarding PVM and 240p how does this work exactlly? I heard you can run the Wii in 240p but it keeps showing either 480i or 480p on the monitor (depending on the Wii video settings). Is it something that has to be forced through software (emulator/VC/etc)?

Raldoh

Interesting, care to share any info on this? I know several people who would be interested in the same, it's just tough to know which places to contact.

I live in Sweden but I'd figure most countries with functional health care systems should apply. Mainly used in the surgical departments, but no one cares about them as they typically want the latest tech there is (they are trying to implement Oculus Rift at the moment, which sounds really promising from an educational viewpoint).

My advice would be to contact your closest hospital, the bigger probably the more likely to have more "junk" stored for no real use.

Jaeger

So I have an opportunity to get a Sony 20" Trinitron BVM-20F1U. I have to make an offer. What would RetroGAF suggest a fair offer would be? Functionally it's fine. It has some minor damage (denting) but it's in sound condition.

So I have an opportunity to get a Sony 20" Trinitron BVM-20F1U. I have to make an offer. What would RetroGAF suggest a fair offer would be? Functionally it's fine. It has some minor damage (denting) but it's in sound condition.

What are the operational hours?

Asking now. Hopefully they respond shortly. What should I be looking for?

It should be a standard question for them and it's easy to find on that model of BVM. The lower the better obviously. Mine was around 70k hours when I bought it and I wouldn't have paid more then I did for it ($170 or $160, can't really remember now). I've seen some with under 20k sell for double that though. I would honestly try to get it for under $200 either way, but would be more weary with a really high number on it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hi all! Getting my first Sega Saturn soon and was wondering what my sub-$100 options are in terms of SCART to HDMI or YUV to play on my monitor.
I'm going to capturing my game play from the Saturn to stream online while I play so a basic YUV adapter sans scaler doesn't seem to be an option there since the tests with my Dreamcast show the monitor supports 480i minimum (well it tells me the signal is out of range but it still shows just fine.)
The 240p signal coming from the pass-through of my Elgato HD wouldn't work since I got a no signal error testing a custom 240p resolution in the Nvidia control panel so my monitor definitely doesn't support the resolution and I'd need something that would upscale the video a bit.
I don't particularly think what I'm asking for will be perfect in terms of lag or picture but something serviceable till I have enough for a framemeister in the future so some suggestions to bridge the gap would be nice. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
That monitor doesn't have component input jacks, so unless you mean something different by "YUV," a YUV converter would be pointless anyway. EDIT: Duh, it'd be going through your capture card. Never mind.

HDMI devices tend not to handle 240p reliably either, so the Elgato's passthrough is probably useless on that front unless it scales in and of itself.

Not that I suspect the monitor would accept 240p itself either, since the supported resolutions aren't anywhere close and it only syncs to signals 30KHz and up.

You could try to hunt for a deal on older XRGBs. Probably requires some patience, but a few have cropped up recently:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381250646722
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251931429166

Those only have VGA out, though, so I'm not sure if that would work with your capture hardware.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well YUV would work since the Elgato has a component adapter and it sends the signal through the output HDMI port but it doesn't mess with the signal at all to eliminate lag so it remains incompatible. (The capture card displays it just fine on my computer but the lag on the capture signal is about a second or two.)

I'm getting a bit impatient since my friend should be shipping the Saturn soon from Taiwan and I wanted to jump in immediately since I ordered Bomberman, Panzer Dragoon 1+2, and Parodius to accompany it, but I'll keep a look out meanwhile since that can take a few weeks and the cheap upscalers I was looking at apparently have too much lag.

miserable

After years of searching (in my country), i finally found a 20" PVM which looks like i'll be buying.It's the PVM-20M2E model.Since this model only has BNC connectors, i would like to know what kind of BNC-to-Scart cable should i buy for it, and where from.Anybody kind enough to help me out?

All those PVMs whose product code ends with "M" are for the medical sector after all.
I found one of them in a lab room where I work and got all excited until I saw it didn't have RGB in. I think the M series might be the lowest end PVMs, least TVLs and only sometimes having the BNC inputs for RGB. On the other hand some research labs or hospital applications may, depending on the nature of what they are doing, hardly ever have their monitor on, much less so than I would think a video editor or TV broadcaster would.

Peltz

I found one of them in a lab room where I work and got all excited until I saw it didn't have RGB in. I think the M series might be the lowest end PVMs, least TVLs and only sometimes having the BNC inputs for RGB. On the other hand some research labs or hospital applications may, depending on the nature of what they are doing, hardly ever have their monitor on, much less so than I would think a video editor or TV broadcaster would.

M series is indeed probably the lowest end of Sony's pro-quality monitors. They are also the most common and are/were still very frequently used by broadcast studios in my area (NYC). Many of them offer RGB input and look spectacular. Some people may also prefer them because they're a nice middle ground between the super hi-end 800 line stuff vs. consumer grade.

I know some people don't like super-thick scanlines because most arcade monitors and home CRTs I've seen have very thin lines. If you want something that closely approximates a mid-90s arcade monitor, a 600 line PVM (typical of the "M" series) should probably be your focus.

Personally, although I have an "M" series monitor, myself (and am super-impressed by its picture), I will gladly give it up in a heartbeat for a BVM or higher-end PVM in good condition.

After years of searching (in my country), i finally found a 20" PVM which looks like i'll be buying.It's the PVM-20M2E model.Since this model only has BNC connectors, i would like to know what kind of BNC-to-Scart cable should i buy for it, and where from.Anybody kind enough to help me out?

This is the popular one. I have one of them and it works fine. The guy also sells one with a built in sync stripper if you need that, but you don't. Or ones with a male scart side for if you are going to plug it directly into a scart switch. I prefer the female one for that as well so I don't have to have my scart switch right near the connector and just use an extra scart cable to connect them as well as being able to plug individual cables directly into it for testing purposes.

Enjoy.

Ms are fine as long as you follow the same guidelines as getting any PVM. Not too worn out and has RGB.

Madao

i think i've found a way to play games on both my CRT and HDTV at the same time. i'm curious to see if i can see input lag this way. gonna post some results once i test things.

miserable

This is the popular one. I have one of them and it works fine. The guy also sells one with a built in sync stripper if you need that, but you don't. Or ones with a male scart side for if you are going to plug it directly into a scart switch. I prefer the female one for that as well so I don't have to have my scart switch right near the connector and just use an extra scart cable to connect them as well as being able to plug individual cables directly into it for testing purposes.

Enjoy.

Thanks, but 50$ (that's with shipping) for a cable? nah, i'd rather make the cable myself, i just need to find the DIY instrunctions online

Peagles

Thanks, but 50$ (that's with shipping) for a cable? nah, i'd rather make the cable myself, i just need to find the DIY instrunctions online

I just got a secondhand Monster SCART to component cable for $10 and added BNC connectors to it (few cents each).

Huggers

I spent a small fortune on cables for all my different systems when I got my BVM. Worth it but definitely an unforeseen expense for me

Ms are fine as long as you follow the same guidelines as getting any PVM. Not too worn out and has RGB.
Yes for North Americans any monitor with RGB in is probably better than any consumer TV. I thought there were some Ms that didn't do 600 lines, more like 500. It's a personal choice but if I'm going to go get a little 14" screen and pay for it I want it to be much better than one of the bigger Trinitrons I can get for free on Craigslist.

Peagles

that's nice, and i would do that, except that sadly in my 3rd world country i can't find to buy such a cable

I live in the middle of nowhere. I was lucky enough to get the cable locally, otherwise I import 99% of this stuff. I even imported the BNC adapters. It's just what you have to do if you don't live in a major country.

Hahaha, fair enough GayForMaster.

I'm going to be honest with you, I took a few pictures but my terrible camera clearly doesn't represent the true quality of what my PVM is outputting. Everything looks substantially cleaner/smoother than these pictures. Some games look even better but I'm guessing that's because Xenoblade sacrificed graphical fidelity for its overworld, right?

http://imgur.com/a/qo3xg

Peagles

I'm going to be honest with you, I took a few pictures but my terrible camera clearly doesn't represent the true quality of what my PVM is outputting. Everything looks substantially cleaner/smoother than these pictures. Some games look even better but I'm guessing that's because Xenoblade sacrificed graphical fidelity for its overworld, right?

http://imgur.com/a/qo3xg

Looking good! Is that component? Resolution?

Looking good! Is that component? Resolution?

480p through component, yee.

I'm just using the official wii component cables with 3 BNC things to fit green/blue/red cords into it. I'm thinking of getting a BKM-129x one of these days just to prevent myself from having to switch in the menu from RGB to component (using the RGB/COMP Sel option in the user config), vice versa.

Finally after over a month, I got my mini. SNES and NES look fucking awesome. I'm glad they put out an update for profiles before I got mine. Way too many options for me. Just loaded up some profiles and it looks great to me.

I am getting a good amount of noise/humming on the NES, though. I can move the cable around and I get it down to manageable levels. Is that my cable or what? Don't have it on SNES.

Pretty helpful video on how to connect ur systems to a HDTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCPyuesrSNI

lmao

Every since finding out about the issues with the Retron 5, mention of it kinda bums me out. I understand the appeal but it seems so questionable.

Also, I have one of those component switch things. The cables are passable though I'm going to upgrade soon enough. It's definitely worth getting if you care more for a balance of convenience and quality than the highest of quality.

...and he doesn't seem to understand the word "resolution"...

Alright, there are too many issues with this video for me to mention them all. It's a passable video but having this as a "tutorial" is not so great.

IrishNinja

good luck nine!
there's a gaffer (i wanna say retro core?) that sells them from his site & B/S/T sometimes, i bought mine off Solaris - they had great customer service (replaced the remote when mine died) and also they sell a d-terminal to component converter that came in handy!

televator

Pretty helpful video on how to connect ur systems to a HDTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCPyuesrSNI

lmao

giphy.gif

The egregious part is that he called it a "How to" video. No one should watch this as a tutorial. A more apt title would be "How I make my games look shit"

Madao

mission complete!

the retro corner is ready!

i can now play my old games on CRT and record them at the same time with my current HD setup. it's the best since, in the past, i had lost the ability to record due to the lack of equipment but now i have everything needed for that.
also, i got lucky with some tricks since my receiver does dual output. from that i pick the component output and route it to the CRT (you can see the black wire there).
since the CRT doesn't take progressive scan, i have to run in 480i. normally that would kill my recording since my capture card doesn't do 480i capture but my receiver can upconvert that to 1080p and the capture card can detect it that way. quality is pretty decent all things considered. there's some incredible lag on the HD side but that doesn't matter since the CRT side is lag-free.
the VHS is there since the setup could use some more things to not make it look empty.

this setup makes the Wii completely miss the FM now though.

good luck nine!
there's a gaffer (i wanna say retro core?) that sells them from his site & B/S/T sometimes, i bought mine off Solaris - they had great customer service (replaced the remote when mine died) and also they sell a d-terminal to component converter that came in handy!
Yakumo was his name, and he's been banned from GAF for ages, lmao.

He still seems to be in the business of selling FMs though, as per his last YouTube video.

miserable

mission complete!

the retro corner is ready!

i can now play my old games on CRT and record them at the same time with my current HD setup. it's the best since, in the past, i had lost the ability to record due to the lack of equipment but now i have everything needed for that.
also, i got lucky with some tricks since my receiver does dual output. from that i pick the component output and route it to the CRT (you can see the black wire there).
since the CRT doesn't take progressive scan, i have to run in 480i. normally that would kill my recording since my capture card doesn't do 480i capture but my receiver can upconvert that to 1080p and the capture card can detect it that way. quality is pretty decent all things considered. there's some incredible lag on the HD side but that doesn't matter since the CRT side is lag-free.
the VHS is there since the setup could use some more things to not make it look empty.

this setup makes the Wii completely miss the FM now though.

nice, what model is that TV?

Khaz

So, I was thinking TV manufacturers would be lazy and cheap enough to use the same board for the whole world, but populating it with only the minimum useful components for each region (no waste of Scart socket for the US). It turns out, that, some companies did it like this! According to this post, many Samsung and Sony Trinitron can be relatively easily modded to add the Scart socket back in! Easy means soldering the socket and a bunch of components on the board, with the help of the service manual as a guide. As opposed to hard, tapping RGB directly onto the electron cannon, or hijacking the OSD.

So there, another option for you guys, if you can't find a PVM but your local pawnshop is overfilled with big tube TVs.

Huggers

Metal Jesus Does not Rock apparently. How could you have all those systems, be that into games and still use composite? I saw Mike Matei from AVGN does the same. Utterly bizarre to me. Sell some of your games and by a decent set up. Otherwise, what's the point?!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Metal Jesus Does not Rock apparently. How could you have all those systems, be that into games and still use composite? I saw Mike Matei from AVGN does the same. Utterly bizarre to me. Sell some of your games and by a decent set up. Otherwise, what's the point?!

AVGN at least aspires to deliver a fully authentic and nostalgic experience; he even busted out an especially vintage TV for the Atari 5200 feature, IIRC.

Much more forgivable than using something as ass-backwards as a composite to HDMI adapter.

Madao

i'd guess some of these guys have so much volume of items to keep track of that they don't really get on the deeper level on each of them.

it's like when you're a jack of all trades and a master of none.

nice, what model is that TV?

it says KV-21FS100

manufactured in sept 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom