• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

actually pixel artists counted on composite artifacts as much as they counted on CRT artifacts. it goes back to black and white movies coloring props to affect how they ended up looing in black and white (like Frankenstein actually being blue, not green, to get the right shade of gray)

I would imagine very few old games were actually developed/debugged on RGB displays.

I mean for the most part, most games were developed for NTSC display... aka "Never Twice the Same Color"

I'm not sure how much truth there is to that when most people back then still seemed to use RF, even though the consoles themselves were capable of everything up to RGB, and there were many arcade ports coming from RGB screens.

I've seen a few effects that do showcase your point, but I haven't seen to many instances and to my eye (and so many others) that clean look of RGB is superb.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You say this is an HD CRT? Buddy you use a CRT, you get scan lines. That's sorta what a CRT does. So congrats. You got yourself pretty sweet set for retro gaming there.

Dot pitch is fine enough that the scanlines that are there aren't really visible without sitting like < 3' from the set.. heh.

TV does 480p natively, and effectively compressed 540p for 1080i output.

antibolo

Banned
What's with all the insults directed at John Carmack for not owning an RGB NES? You all talk as if this was a trivial thing to own/make. Get over yourselves.

televator

What's with all the insults directed at John Carmack for not owning an RGB NES? You all talk as if this was a trivial thing to own/make. Get over yourselves.

Image is small and I didn't notice those were NES controllers in their hands. Also I was tongue in cheek with the "GTFO" comment.

gryz

Banned

I think you're missing the point entirely. He's acting like the XRGB isn't that great when he's not even using an RGB input, that's kinda the whole point of the unit. it's surprising that someone like john carmack doesn't seem to grasp the difference between rgb and composite signals

IrishNinja

Edit: Oh wait he's using composite?! No, John. You're wrong this time. You're a genius, but you're wrong. RGB or GTFO.

haha, i'm okay with continuing to not give a fuck what Carmack says about anything. all i hear around here is how i should care cause he's a genius! but i really don't.

Is there a page somewhere that indicates the best setting of the XRGB Mini for each console?

there is, but it's largely worthless until people put in the specific settings for each system. what to know for now:

To summarize, NATURAL mode is generally recommended for interlaced sources and PICTURE mode for progressive sources.

although for composite NES, i go with meister mode, per bocodragon's suggestion.

I bought a SFC RGB cord a while back of ebay. It didn't work and didn't sound right going into my XRGB3 unit ... I'm a little worried that the RGB on my unit doesn't work, though (I've been using s-video).

Bar81

I bought a SFC RGB cord a while back of ebay. It didn't work and didn't sound right going into my XRGB3 unit ... I'm a little worried that the RGB on my unit doesn't work, though (I've been using s-video).

It doesn't sound like it's the official Nintendo cable so it's likely a problem with the cable.

Well if he ever plugged a SCART cable into his XRGB there's a good chance he's fried the RGB port.

It's the only thing I ever plugged into it and it was from Japan. If a Japanese seller was selling PAL SCART cables, well, I don't really know what to say. I think I counted the pins though.

Ban Puncher

Carmack is right though, the XRGB-mini Framemeister isn't some magical box. I tried playing Rage through mine but it still couldn't make that game fun.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's the only thing I ever plugged into it and it was from Japan. If a Japanese seller was selling PAL SCART cables, well, I don't really know what to say. I think I counted the pins though.

Yeah, that was just the only thing that comes to mind that would outright cause a hardware failure.

All I can do is point you toward the wiki on the off chance you don't already have it bookmarked.
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page

baphomet

Yea that was my first thought as well, that maybe it was a scart cable instead of a jpn 21pin. Being the cable was from japan thats probably not very likely though.

Do you have any other consoles you can test in rgb by chance?

I'm probably going to test it soon with the Saturn RGB cable that was posted recently (if I go ahead and purchase it in Nov).

My Saturn seems to work best with my unit. My Nintendo consoles ... have had issues with the S-Video connection turning black and white over time (or in the case of the SFC, the color on one side is usually more vibrant than the other). Just really bizarre. If I could buy a reliable RGB cable that wasn't around 70~100 for something that might not work, I would do it.

IrishNinja

...i should probably put a link to retro_console_accessories in the OP if i haven't, high quality cables for a good price (when they're in stock - currently are!)

*edit: my current PS2 component cable isn't the best, i think - should i go with her RGB sync-on-luma cable? sounds like it might be better quality, i'm assuming i should be able to plug it right into the back of the unit (older/phat PS2 model)

*double edit shit now im reading its just cause im running a cheap 3rd party component and not the official one, with AV forums saying that would be better than RGB SCART overall

Soulhouf

...i should probably put a link to retro_console_accessories in the OP if i haven't, high quality cables for a good price (when they're in stock - currently are!)

*edit: my current PS2 component cable isn't the best, i think - should i go with her RGB sync-on-luma cable? sounds like it might be better quality, i'm assuming i should be able to plug it right into the back of the unit (older/phat PS2 model)

*double edit shit now im reading its just cause im running a cheap 3rd party component and not the official one, with AV forums saying that would be better than RGB SCART overall

That would saved me a few dozen dollars and headaches >_>

Edit: I just purchased that SCART to XRGB Mini 8 pin. I hope it's the right one this time. Thanks!

Madao

do the SNES cables work with N64 and GC?

IrishNinja

That would saved me a few dozen dollars and headaches >_>

sorry man! totally added her stuff to the Q&A section now, my bad

"For US SNES" means that it will work on my SFC right?

that i'm not sure, i think so but they might be wired differently...i don't know that i've seen her sell SFC ones offhand? its worth asking her, or looking at her mini-FAQ (go to the SNES cables, click "ask a question" and check the section for "details on this item" i think)

do the SNES cables work with N64 and GC?

yes, that's what i did (bought 2 of her SNES ones), works great! assuming your 64 is RGB modded of course

IrishNinja

...yeah, this component cable's really not cutting it. tempted to get her RGB one for PS2 but im still reading that an official one would give a better picture, can anyone confirm this? if so: where do i find an official Sony PS2 component cable, all im seeing on ebay are knockoffs (though i'm guessing the official PS3 one would suffice?)

Jcgamer60

I'm posting this from the Saturn appreciation topic since it's relevant here. The scart cable works with NTSC Saturn consoles, and doesn't require a separate audio cable. (when used with the converter below) The converter also works with the Sega Genesis/32x and Super Nintendo.

Here is a screen capture of 3 dirty dwarves using a scart to hdmi converter. (Source: Game Sack)

uA5VKwp.png

Saturn Scart cable (This cable works with the converter and ntsc consoles)
http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81

CVID BG-460 HDMI/SCART PAL System to NTSC HDMI Digital Audio Video Converter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00988GMLG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Video review by Adam Koralik (Recommend also reading video comments)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS55pmLIEjA

I would like to thank NeoGAF member RedFalcon for coming up with this solution.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59809397&postcount=2660

Game Sack Episode on the 32X. All the game footage in this episode was recorded using the CVID converter with RGB scart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBtyb_E060

Jcgamer60

Err, wait. That cable only works with US Saturn if you convert to HDMI? No direct connect to Framemeister?

I've only verified compatibility between with this specific scart cable and the CVID converter sold on Amazon. If you have questions I would email the site selling the scart cable. Maybe they can provide you further information regarding compatibility with the Framemeister.

If you're gonna cross-post that, I'll cross-post this:

Maybe someone should post it to the Upscaler & RGB thread since quite a few people there were looking for NTSC compatible Saturn RGB cables.
On that note, something from retro_console_accessories:

retro_console_accessories said:
I have now ordered some saturn plugs, but they might not be here til early November as they are coming in from Europe. So I will be adding Saturn scarts in the near future.
Not to stop you from getting a SCART cable from that guy. I bought my AR4-in-1 from him, he's legit.

antibolo

Banned

I just ordered that sync-on-luma cable from her, I'll give you guys feedback on it as soon as it get it.

On a related note I recently got a SNES cable from her that had the right audio channel and the +5V lines swapped. Remember folks, when you buy a handmade cable it's not a bad idea to test it manually with a multimeter first. Errors can happen. Especially now that she also makes JP21 cables, I'm always going to test them manually from now on, to make sure she didn't send me a JP21 version by accident.

gryz

Banned
maybe someone can help me here. I've got a euro scart genesis 2/32x cable. when I run it thru my model 1 genesis + 32X the XRGB picture is great, but on my model 2 genesis its got jailbars. any idea what settings can fix this, or is that model 2 I have just a shitty model?

antibolo

Banned
maybe someone can help me here. I've got a euro scart genesis 2/32x cable. when I run it thru my model 1 genesis + 32X the XRGB picture is great, but on my model 2 genesis its got jailbars. any idea what settings can fix this, or is that model 2 I have just a shitty model?

You probably don't have a raw sync cable. Model 2 Genesis tend to have an infamously awful composite output. so It's absolutely essential to have a cable that gets the sync from the dedicated sync pin, or else you WILL get jailbars.

I have a Model 2 with a raw sync cable from retro_console_accessories and it looks superb.

brainpann

Are you running the scart cable driectly through through the genesis 2 or via 32x on the genesis 2? AFAIK, some of the genesis 2 has a worse video encoder. Read about it here.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

antibolo

Banned

zweifuss

Framemeister takes component input (just buy the d-terminal adapter cable when you buy the FM).

Framemeister is a bit out of my price range atm. What kind of result would I get if I connect my component-modded snes to a GBS 8200 and then to my TV?

Rich!

So, I have been given an old PC CRT monitor. It's pretty awesome, and it accepts retro resolutions.

Whats the best way to hook up my N64 to it? It's a JP model that unfortunately cannot be RGB modded, and I've only got a composite cable for it.

The monitor only has VGA in.

televator

...yeah, this component cable's really not cutting it. tempted to get her RGB one for PS2 but im still reading that an official one would give a better picture, can anyone confirm this? if so: where do i find an official Sony PS2 component cable, all im seeing on ebay are knockoffs (though i'm guessing the official PS3 one would suffice?)

My crazy psyclone PS2 comp cable work on the PS3. I don't see why the reverse wouldn't work. It's the same connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom