• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madao

the other day, i decided to do the N64 RGB mod of curiosity since i have a capable model and also made the cable for it (used an old Wii Component cable and an N64 composite cable and combined them into 1 to get the proper cable)

i got some interesting results:

S-Video:
RP18TAe.jpg

RGB:
3DLvNvh.jpg

S-Video:
Ddanx9J.jpg

RGB:
hRNN4mj.jpg

i don't have an amplifier so i had to fiddle with some of the Framemeister settings to get the RGB image to look bright enough since it looked super dark with the default settings.

from what i see, RGB looks slightly better but i'm not sure what else i can tweak to improve these.

also, what's the deal with C-Sync? i found out my N64 lacks it but i have a spare N64 that probably has it since it is older. does that make a difference?

baphomet

It needs an amp. Im surprised youre getting that much picture out of it without one. The c-sync isnt going to make your picture any better. Some tv's get interference if using composite video as sync, and c-sync being a raw sync signal can clear that stuff up.

the other day, i decided to do the N64 RGB mod of curiosity since i have a capable model and also made the cable for it (used an old Wii Component cable and an N64 composite cable and combined them into 1 to get the proper cable)

i got some interesting results:

i don't have an amplifier so i had to fiddle with some of the Framemeister settings to get the RGB image to look bright enough since it looked super dark with the default settings.

from what i see, RGB looks slightly better but i'm not sure what else i can tweak to improve these.

also, what's the deal with C-Sync? i found out my N64 lacks it but i have a spare N64 that probably has it since it is older. does that make a difference?

I know the n64 rgb tutorials that I've seen include a RGB Amplifier chip as part of them. Did the one you follow have that?

Peagles

Eek, is that really what the Framemeister does to the N64? I didn't think it looked too bad til I clicked on the images to see full size.

On my PVM I've noticed going from S-Video to RGB SCART meant a drop in the garishness of colours and brightness on ALL my systems I've tried it on (Mega Drive, SNES, N64, PS1). The result though is more natural looking and the colours still "pop".

Rich!

Ive got a few of them sitting here taking up space. Always looking for trades and such.

UK based, though? Definitely up for payment/trades, especially if the mod is already done (only worked with SNES CIC and 50/60hz mods before).

Mine is a JP unit that I assumed would support it, but doesn't. For reference, this is what it looks like on my TV currently set up through a composhit connection:

It's not that bad, but it's not good either.

Peagles

Ive got a few of them sitting here taking up space. Always looking for trades and such.

I can highly recommend baphomet's work - I'm sitting here playing Super Mario 64 in absolutely gorgeous RGB and it really does bring out the best image I've ever seen. I only wish I could take a decent photo... My phone camera is so crap, lol.

Crappy phone big incoming... But you can still see how it's an improvement over composite above! Holy crap does composite actually look that bad? Ugh...
IMAG0226_zps563750a2.jpg

Eek, is that really what the Framemeister does to the N64? I didn't think it looked too bad til I clicked on the images to see full size.
Not sure what you're seeing that's objectionable; the N64 doesn't usually display a very clean image, even when using a good video signal. Even with 2D games, I've noticed some weird flickering artifacts around the edges of things. (Which is why I find the claims some people make that the N64 was more capable at 2D than the Saturn to be kinda bullshit, really...)

IrishNinja

still pissed off that my N64 doesn't support RGB mods.

i mean, the fuck

was gonna recommend bapho here but looks like im late, heh
honestly early units (RGB capable) arent super rare luckily

also addressed but yeah no, it can look way better. my experience from composite on HDTV to upscaled RGB felt like night & day, thankfully. it's a jaggy-making system but it can look a lot cleaner!

Rich!

I can highly recommend baphomet's work - I'm sitting here playing Super Mario 64 in absolutely gorgeous RGB and it really does bring out the best image I've ever seen. I only wish I could take a decent photo... My phone camera is so crap, lol.

Crappy phone big incoming... But you can still see how it's an improvement over composite above! Holy crap does composite actually look that bad? Ugh...
IMAG0226_zps563750a2.jpg

oh man that looks good

baphomet

UK based, though? Definitely up for payment/trades, especially if the mod is already done (only worked with SNES CIC and 50/60hz mods before).

Mine is a JP unit that I assumed would support it, but doesn't. For reference, this is what it looks like on my TV currently set up through a composhit connection:

It's not that bad, but it's not good either.

Im based in the states, but i ship over there regularly so it doesnt make a difference to me. The way i always check to see if theyre compatible is the serial should be NS180 or under. At some point in the 130's they changed it to output composite video as sync, but ive never had any issues with either sync output. Yea, theyre already modded, and the slot can always be modded to accept jpn games pretty easily. If you want an idea of stuff im looking for you can always pm me.

Glad youre enjoying it Peagles! It does look excellent on your monitor.

Rich!

Im based in the states, but i ship over there regularly so it doesnt make a difference to me. The way i always check to see if theyre compatible is the serial should be NS180 or under. At some point in the 130's they changed it to output composite video as sync, but ive never had any issues with either sync output.

Yeah, my console is NUJ14044916 which according to this site isn't supported.

I'll PM you anyhow.

edit The motherboard does say it's an NUS-CPU 005...still not sure if it's compatible though.

edit edit: nope, my console is definitely ruled out:

Notes:- Only revision to use the 'AVDC-NUS' chip, later produced models of this revision also use the 'MAV-NUS' chip suggesting that both chips are pin-compatible (Perhaps even just renamed) From this revision and onwards there is no easy RGB mod (As it would require a replacement DAC chip)

Peagles

Not sure what you're seeing that's objectionable; the N64 doesn't usually display a very clean image, even when using a good video signal. Even with 2D games, I've noticed some weird flickering artifacts around the edges of things. (Which is why I find the claims some people make that the N64 was more capable at 2D than the Saturn to be kinda bullshit, really...)

I wouldn't say objectionable, but I guess I expected the Framemeister to look better than that, even in composite.

was gonna recommend bapho here but looks like im late, heh
honestly early units (RGB capable) arent super rare luckily

also addressed but yeah no, it can look way better. my experience from composite on HDTV to upscaled RGB felt like night & day, thankfully. it's a jaggy-making system but it can look a lot cleaner!

So it can make composite look a little better?

Oh no, am I already becoming an RGB snob?

Madao

would it help if i post all the framemeister settings i used? maybe we can pinpoint where i might have messed up. so far i've just tuned it by fiddling around things randomly.

output was HDMI mode 1080p
image mode: Picture
aspect ratio: 4:3 (that's why the images had black bars)
screen set: standard
color set: brightness: 24
gamma: 6
black: 10
hue: 45
saturation: 28
sharpness: 2
visual set: h_scaler: 7
v_scaler: 5

those were for S-video. for RGB i used the same settings but brightness was 20 and black was 0 instead. settings that i didn't list were left in their defaults. for RGB, i maxed out the A/D_level option under special.

i didn't use the amp because i wanted to make the mod without spending money. i already had the cables i used for it and the rest was just basic soldering (i used the method in the very old guide where they just solder 3 wires to the multi-out inside the N64)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
would it help if i post all the framemeister settings i used? maybe we can pinpoint where i might have messed up. so far i've just tuned it by fiddling around things randomly.

those were for S-video. for RGB i used the same settings but brightness was 20 and black was 0 instead. settings that i didn't list were left in their defaults. for RGB, i maxed out the A/D_level option under special.

i didn't use the amp because i wanted to make the mod without spending money. i already had the cables i used for it and the rest was just basic soldering (i used the method in the very old guide where they just solder 3 wires to the multi-out inside the N64)
A couple things;

Sharpness should be at 0 (or maybe 1, if you like the effect)

For 240p content I like -
H_Scaler - 5
V-Scaler - 7

I think your brightness is too low but that can be your preference.

A/D_level shouldn't be maxed out either.

For extra clarity use the scale x2 mode as it perfectly scales the pixels without distortion. Also, I don't think you are, but never use scanlines in 1080p mode. The results are nasty.

I don't have all of my settings handy but I definitely see some issues with your settings.

baphomet

That old guide is very misleading. Its impossible to get a picture as shown without an amp. Theres really not going to be any way to get the picture to look how it is supposed to by just running the straight rgb signals to the output pins.

Madao

i tweaked my settings a bit and this is what i got:

i did s-video only because RGB wasn't going to look right the way i have it atm.

i dunno but i think this game just looks bad no matter what is done.

IrishNinja

^yeah, hubtown looks a little rough even scaled & amped, honestly. something like uh, Wave Race might show the gab a bit more.

Lettuce

If you are intending to use scanlines (and why wouldn't you) don't select 1080p, use 720p as at the moment there is a bug with the way the framemeister displays scanlines when using 1080p

On another note, I'll post some pics and vids up later of my RGB+AMP+C-Sync modded N64 up, any games in particular people want to see?

Madao

no doubt, but its darker than my plasma when i barely have my eyes open, heh

my TV's brightness makes up for it since it looks brighter there. if i raise the brightness here and lower the TV's, it looks somehwat worse so i prefer the way i have set it up. i also use the same TV input for Wii and GC since both run through the framemeister too and the Wii U also shares it through an HDMI switch.

i have so much stuff plugged at the same time heh.

A couple things;

Sharpness should be at 0 (or maybe 1, if you like the effect)

For 240p content I like -
H_Scaler - 5
V-Scaler - 7

I think your brightness is too low but that can be your preference.

A/D_level shouldn't be maxed out either.

For extra clarity use the scale x2 mode as it perfectly scales the pixels without distortion. Also, I don't think you are, but never use scanlines in 1080p mode. The results are nasty.

I don't have all of my settings handy but I definitely see some issues with your settings.

matching the settings you posted definitely made F-Zero X look better than what i had previously. the minimap looked the best with those scaling options + sharpness set to 1.

If you are intending to use scanlines (and why wouldn't you) don't select 1080p, use 720p as at the moment there is a bug with the way the framemeister displays scanlines when using 1080p

On another note, I'll post some pics and vids up later of my RGB+AMP+C-Sync modded N64 up, any games in particular people want to see?

well, i don't like how scanlines change the way the games look. i prefer the raw look. i haven't used a CRT in so long that i don't remember how games look on them. also, i'm too scared of bad input lag so i prefer to match the resolution of my TV to reduce the scaling (the TV i use is a 1080p LCD)

Rich!

made the cable for it (used an old Wii Component cable and an N64 composite cable and combined them into 1 to get the proper cable)

N64 composite or RGB SCART? Just curious because I have only one RGB SCART port on my TV yet once I get my mega drive tomorrow, I'll have more than one device that uses it. The component inputs on my TV are sitting there unused.

I have two SNES/N64 RGB cables and a whole load of useless Wii component cables. Did you just hack two of those together? If so, that's an easy solution to my issue. The other option would be buying a SCART multiplug/switcher - but I'm wary as to whether that would degrade the picture quality.

A framemeister is a liiiiitle bit out of my price range right now.

Madao

N64 composite or RGB SCART? Just curious because I have only one RGB SCART port on my TV yet once I get my mega drive tomorrow, I'll have more than one device that uses it. The component inputs on my TV are sitting there unused.

I have two SNES/N64 RGB cables and a whole load of useless Wii component cables. Did you just hack two of those together? If so, that's an easy solution to my issue.

it was N64 composite. it had the yellow/red/white wires (came with a SNES actually but the N64 uses the same cable).

what i did was open up the plug of the N64 cable and located the pins using a picture to see which ones corresponded to what.
after that, i grabbed the Wii component cable and broke apart the plug (that was the only way to get the metal contacts undamaged out of the cable since the metal contacts won't come out by pulling them)
with the metal contacts all separate, i inserted each of them into the empty slots of the N64 cable's plug where they corresponded to the RGB pins. you'd need to insert 3 minimum to get the RGB signals out of the N64 (i put 4 since i wanted to be prepared in case i needed C-sync)
after that, you close up the plug and it should look like 2 cables are coming out of the plug.
to connect this monstrosity to the framemeister, i took the jp21 adapter that comes packed with it and took apart the big plug. then, i wired some female RCA plugs to these wires (using the pinout diagram to see which is which) so that i could connect the other cable to this.

i recall that the N64 outputs an RGB signal that most TVs don't accept as is so i don't know if the cable would be useful on a TV.

Soulhouf

I'm also one of the unlucky owners of a N64 that doesn't support RGB mod.
Depending on games, the image quality isn't that bad.

Super Mario 64 (composite):

IMG_2368.jpg

Majora's Mask on the other hand looks hideous...

I ordered a GC S-Video cable (I only have RGB at this point) and I will see the result.

Bar81

I'm not quite clear why people are wasting everyone's time comparing composite to RGB. It's not like the N64 doesn't support s-video. The relevant comparison would be the improvement over that.

Rich!

I'm not quite clear why people are wasting everyone's time comparing composite to RGB. It's not like the N64 doesn't support s-video. The relevant comparison would be the improvement over that.

Well, I personally haven't seen a TV that supports S Video in about 15 years. That's why (for me, anyway).

Ramune

Funny a lot of the pics taken are of Mario 64 and Majora's Mask. I hooked my 64 up to one of my PVMs via Monster S-Video cables (Gamecube cables but work with N64 and SNES as well!) and Mario 64 still looks as clean as ever. Majora's Mask however...I love the game, but dat muddieness. Glad it wasn't just me.

Say Baphomet, how much do you charge for N64 mods? I might have a console for you! :)
I'd be silly not to pursue getting the most out of my console.

Serial No. NS152725547 so according to the site linked earlier, it has a CPU-04 in there, so JUST made it! ^_^

antibolo

Banned
Personally if I owned a N64 I would not bother modding it for RGB, S-video output is usually pretty solid on Nintendo consoles. On my PVM the difference between S-video and RGB is very small. Maybe the difference is greater on an XRGB though, I don't have one so I wouldn't know.

Peagles

Personally if I owned a N64 I would not bother modding it for RGB, S-video output is usually pretty solid on Nintendo consoles. On my PVM the difference between S-video and RGB is very small. Maybe the difference is greater on an XRGB though, I don't have one so I wouldn't know.

For me it just adds that last layer of perfection. I really should get a better camera and take some comparison shots between svid and RGB.

Yeah, everyone has a personal "good enough" threshold regarding image quality. If you're enough of an enthusiast and investing in PVMs and all, you're probably not going to settle for s-vid.

Peagles

Yeah, everyone has a personal "good enough" threshold regarding image quality. If you're enough of an enthusiast and investing in PVMs and all, you're probably not going to settle for s-vid.

To be honest I probably would have settled (begrudgingly) for svid if it wasn't for baphomet... It was a once off opportunity for lil old me in New Zealand. I'd have a hard enough time just trying to find an NTSC console to mod let alone one that's compatible. I think it always would have annoyed me though to have all the others using RGB and poor little 64 in the naughty corner with svid.

Beckx

Following up on my post about using the Sega Style SCART cable to connect a US Saturn to a Framemeister.

I had a PM asking me for more information, as someone had told the person that using that cable with a US Saturn to connect to Framemeister "should not be possible."

Well, it is. :)

Here's the Sega Style cord (well, I can't prove it, you just have to take my word that it's the cord I ordered from there).

Here's the SCART to Framemeister mini-din adapter. (You need this to connect *any* SCART wired cable to the FM; JP21 cables use the adapter that comes with the device.)

Here's the Saturn wired up to the Framemeister in the console closet. (Anyone mentioning how messy the closet is goes on THE LIST.)

Here's the proof it works.

Closer!

And here's the boot up screen, no sync problems!

So there you have it. Maybe I got a weird cable from Sega Style, who knows, but it all works, and I'm happy.

Apologies for crappy cell phone pics, made worse by the lighting.

IrishNinja

man Beckx i can't lie, jelly of your closet setup. i proudly display my systems but it crazy now, i dont have room for a PS1-4 and everything else...looks great man

Does anyone provide premodded units? Also, what's the difference in RGBs (sync, etc.)?

we talkin saturn or what? i have a good modder out in cali for unibios/backup play

Bar81

we talkin saturn or what? i have a good modder out in cali for unibios/backup play

Sorry, was talking about N64. Once I found those black SS Action replay carts to go with my This is Cool (love the cheesiness) systems I was all set there.

Rich!

Got my mega drive today! Amazingly, it's boxed complete with a 3 button pad and a copy of sonic 1. £20, what a bargain

And it looks glorious in RGB on my TV. A photo doesn't do it justice (i've tried). It's pretty much an identical image to what Retroarch pumps out on my PC - that's as good praise as it'll ever get.

Turns out my TV has a pretty nice scaler too.

Rich!

Problem is that here in the UK, I haven't seen a TV that supports S Video for around 15 years. I know that my TV sure as hell doesn't support it, even through a SCART adapter.

edit: oh god, I've posted this almost exact same message before on this same page. I need to go to bed.

televator

I have an N64 that I believe is modable. It's the only system aside from the NES that I'm not getting RGB out of. I've been putting off getting it modded since once I start with mods I'm afraid it's gonna open up a whole new bottomless pit to throw money into. Ugh!

I'd want FM on my Power Base, Optical out on my DC and various others, maybe a couple of case mods I've had in mind... the works.

Beckx

man Beckx i can't lie, jelly of your closet setup. i proudly display my systems but it crazy now, i dont have room for a PS1-4 and everything else...looks great man

Thanks, but I really have to clean up that wire nightmare! I don't have quite enough room for all my consoles, but it's pretty easy to swap out the retro systems.

I love that the Wii and Wii U take up so little space.

Bar81

Yeah; I was able to get mine for about $70-80. I forget the exact eBay username, but it was something like spacemonkeyfuture or somesuch.

I was looking for something other than ebay but I guess ebay it is. I've seen the guy but he sells them without anything which is kind of annoying; I'd prefer to get a boxed unit like doujindance does with the DUO-Rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom