• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Sure, but if it doesn't work, you might as well stop there and just stick with composite cables if you're not willing to throw down some real cash.

Again, in that case, I'd prefer emulation rather than the mess that happens with composite gets upscaled by an HDTV's internal scaler.

Well, shit. The UK retrogamingcables store only has one of the three cables I'm wanting in stock right now. Doesn't seem worth an international order. And retro_console_accessories has zilch available on their eBay store right now. Does she restock pretty frequently? I hate that I can't just buy these damn things. Who would have thought some A/V cables would be artisanal, hand-crafted items?

Chinner

Banned
Well, shit. The UK retrogamingcables store only has one of the three cables I'm wanting in stock right now. Doesn't seem worth an international order. And retro_console_accessories has zilch available on their eBay store right now. Does she restock pretty frequently? I hate that I can't just buy these damn things. Who would have thought some A/V cables would be artisanal, hand-crafted items?

Already emailed retro gaming cables about the same issue. They're getting stock in next week.

Huggers

I'm thinking about buying a Sega mark 3. Couple of things. I'm told the rgb out is extremely weak. This can be boosted but the wiring etc is well beyond me. Any ideas of anyone who could help?

Secondly it can play most SMS games with an adapter. Any idea where I can buy that adapter?

I tried hooking my PS2 (RGB scart) and Gamecube (composite scart) up to my old CRT using a scart switcher, and while it works, the PS2 is black and white, which I'm guessing is because of PAL reasons.

Can you get a scart switcher that doesn't affect quality at all, and allows you to swap between those 2 signals? Possibly one with at least 3 sockets, because I could put my Mega Drive on there too if I get an RGB cable for it.

Galdelico

I tried hooking my PS2 (RGB scart) and Gamecube (composite scart) up to my old CRT using a scart switcher, and while it works, the PS2 is black and white, which I'm guessing is because of PAL reasons.

Can you get a scart switcher that doesn't affect quality at all, and allows you to swap between those 2 signals? Possibly one with at least 3 sockets, because I could put my Mega Drive on there too if I get an RGB cable for it.
No idea why you get b/w with the PS2... I mean, I only experienced that issue while trying to connect NTSC systems to PAL-only (as in, not multistandard) CRT TVs, through composite or S-video. You should be fine with RGB scart though... Are your PS2's video options properly set up?

And about the switcher, I use the Hama Switch Box AV-100S, which is pretty much lossless.

No idea why you get b/w with the PS2... I mean, I only experienced that issue while trying to connect NTSC systems to PAL-only (as in, not multistandard) CRT TVs, through composite or S-video. You should be fine with RGB scart though... Are your PS2's video options properly set up?

And about the switcher, I use the Hama Switch Box AV-100S, which is pretty much lossless.

Thanks for the link.

I'm in the UK, so they're both PAL consoles. It just seems to be the same thing that happened when I tried to play games on 60Hz mode on the PS2 when it was connected via composite scart, I.e. Black and white.
When I plug the PS2 RGB scart in the TV directly it works straight away.

Galdelico

Thanks for the link.

I'm in the UK, so they're both PAL consoles. It just seems to be the same thing that happened when I tried to play games on 60Hz mode on the PS2 when it was connected via composite scart, I.e. Black and white.
When I plug the PS2 RGB scart in the TV directly it works straight away.
I wonder if that's because of your actual switcher, then... Is it possible it only carries composite video? I ask because the Hama box I mentioned has a separate 'RGB' button, which allows you to switch from RGB to composite video on each scart socket.

I wonder if that's because of your actual switcher, then... Is it possible it only carries composite video? I ask because the Hama box I mentioned has a separate 'RGB' button, which allows you to switch from RGB to composite video on each scart socket.

I'm guessing that's the case. But that being said, the switcher is god knows how old.
I'll probably just pick up an RGB cable for the GC, that switcher, and just go fully RGB.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
18ObeAW.jpg

Picked up my CRT this morning. The eBay listing was for $70 but he knocked it down to $50 due to the case damage in the upper right there.

Caught a glimpse at the PVM-20L2 he had while I was there. It looked awesome but is a bit out of my price range at the moment (He wanted $200.) and I don't really have any place to set it up right now because it's freaking huge.

Already emailed retro gaming cables about the same issue. They're getting stock in next week.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll wait a bit then.

18ObeAW.jpg

Picked up my CRT this morning. The eBay listing was for $70 but he knocked it down to $50 due to the case damage in the upper right there.

Caught a glimpse at the PVM-20L2 he had while I was there. It looked awesome but is a bit out of my price range at the moment (He wanted $200.) and I don't really have any place to set it up right now because it's freaking huge.

Congrats! Looks like you got a set that's both pro level and looks properly retro, like you wanted. Glad you're on your way. And if something better comes along you can always upgrade. Enjoy!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
looks like a solid picture to me

Yeah. There was initially some distortion which I thought might have been a bad S-Video port but it looks like it might be my cable instead, as he brought out a DVD Player and it looked just fine.

He said it had been listed on eBay forever and nobody bit, so I probably could have talked him down to $40 or even $30, but I didn't want to be a prick about it.

Looking good! I love that JVC look but I've never seen the monitors here.

Yeah, the display was manufactured in 2005 but it really looks like something straight out of the late 90s.

One of these days I'd love to track down an old Commodore 64 display, though those seem to be rarer and after 30 years may not be in the best shape.

Congrats! Looks like you got a set that's both pro level and looks properly retro, like you wanted. Glad you're on your way. And if something better comes along you can always upgrade. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on Craigslist and eBay. If a huge PVM pops up in the area and isn't too expensive I'll just find a place to put it in storage until I get a place to set it up.

Of course now my SNES is acting up. The controller ports seem to be having issues because I'll be playing and all of a sudden the buttons get scrambled. B acts as start and the other face buttons act as the D-Pad. Looks like I'll have to find some replacement parts for that soon.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Sorry for the back-to-back post but this is for a separate thought.

Is there such a thing as a component to S-Video adapter? There's a few devices that I want to plug into the JVC set that I have component cables for (Xbox 360, Wii, PSP go) but no s-video cables for. (And in the case of the PSP go, they don't exist.)

Rather than stepping down all the way to composite in these situations, is there a way to step down from component to s-video via an adapter to retain some of the quality that component would offer?

Galdelico

Great pick-up, NOLA. And you can always fix the cosmetic issues with some creativity... There's a scratch on the right side of my Trinitron, that I'm planning to sand down and cover with a sticker I'm designing, to recall those classic arcade cabinets side-artworks. I'll post some pics once the job's done.

elmalloc

Is there a dreamcast apprecation thread?

What is the best way to connect a Sega Dreamcast to an HDTV? I have a Framemeister.

I found an almost new Dreamcast on ebay with "svideo cable", but I read I should use VGA or RGB. I didn't buy it yet because the price is kind of high and I doubt I need the Svideo cable.

Thanks for any information - retrorgb is a little confusing on this topic to me.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Great pick-up, NOLA. And you can always fix the cosmetic issues with some creativity... There's a scratch on the right side of my Trinitron, that I'm planning to sand down and cover with a sticker I'm designing, to recall those classic arcade cabinets side-artworks. I'll post some pics once the job's done.

My initial thought was to get some wood grain paneling for the sides. :p

televator

Is there a dreamcast apprecation thread?

What is the best way to connect a Sega Dreamcast to an HDTV? I have a Framemeister.

I found an almost new Dreamcast on ebay with "svideo cable", but I read I should use VGA or RGB. I didn't buy it yet because the price is kind of high and I doubt I need the Svideo cable.

Thanks for any information - retrorgb is a little confusing on this topic to me.

I recommend a Toro VGA box. VGA carries RGB but the Toro also has a scart connector. You can use a simple scart to component transcoder if your HDTV has component. You can go for a cheap box, but I'd say just get a cheaper Dreamcast off eBay or craigslist. You might find one at Goodwill too.

Didn't know you had a framemeister. The Toro is your best option. It'll plug right into the XRGB.

Khaz

Can the Toro output 480p through Scart? I'm wondering if feeding that in a Scart-to-Component box would allow for 480p Dreamcast on EDTV sets. I'm also curious if an HDTV with Scart can use the higher sync.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
friend of mine mailed me a genesis SCART cable and ill be ordering a component adapter so that i can use it on my tv. how significant of an improvement in picture quality should this result in over RF (what im using now)?

tv is a sanyo crt.

friend of mine mailed me a genesis SCART cable and ill be ordering a component adapter so that i can use it on my tv. how significant of an improvement in picture quality should this result in over RF (what im using now)?

tv is a sanyo crt.

It's a huge difference. I run the same setup, pretty much, except I went from composite.

The only thing worth mentioning is that if you're using the same converter box I am, you might need to crack it open and adjust the color output.

This is the guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My games were blue/green saturated so I tinkered about with it, getting awesome results now.

Before:
After:

Also, here is a shot over composite, it's ugly as sin.

Khaz

tv is a sanyo crt.

I'm not telling you. It's the sort of things you need to see for yourself.

Mega

Banned
18ObeAW.jpg

Congrats. You had quite the journey!

Peagles

Can the Toro output 480p through Scart? I'm wondering if feeding that in a Scart-to-Component box would allow for 480p Dreamcast on EDTV sets. I'm also curious if an HDTV with Scart can use the higher sync.

Yup, this is how I use it with my Framemeister. It would be interesting to test that. I'll try it out if I find my SCART-component box while I set up my new apartment.

Chinner

Banned
18ObeAW.jpg

More importantly, are you happy with your purchase?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
More importantly, are you happy with your purchase?

Dunno, haven't put in enough time with it to say one way or another.

Sucks about that case damage, but there's no way I was going to get a comparable display without paying at least $80 on eBay, and that's not including shipping.

Plus shipping a CRT makes me nervous...so much stuff that can be easily damaged from being knocked about.

Edit: If this works out and I decide I want something bigger, there's a 20" Sony PVM-20N5U for $30 on Craiglist with similar inputs (Composite & S-Video) that I might spring for, I just have to drive almost 5 miles roundtrip to get it.

There's also a BVM-1311 much closer that's $120, but that's more than I wanted to spend at the moment.

Edit 2: I'm almost seeing an Olympus OEV203 for $60 with a similar roughly 5-hour roundtrip pickup time...anyone familiar with that?

TeaJay

That monitor looks nice. I'm pretty happy that I got myself a PVM some months ago, it has really given my gaming a boost and alongside RGB AVF I play a lot of games I didn't feel like playing a lot before.

Mega

Banned
Edit 2: I'm almost seeing an Olympus OEV203 for $60 with a similar roughly 5-hour roundtrip pickup time...anyone familiar with that?

That's a rebranded Sony PVM-20M2MDU. Test it to see if it's worn out or has burn-in. It was possibly on 24/7 for ages. The cool thing is that it has two sets of RGB inputs. I'm only aware of these medical monitors having that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
18ObeAW.jpg

This looks awesome. I'm very jealous!

I need to get a P/BVM. And a NTSC-U SNES.

Peltz

Can the Toro output 480p through Scart? I'm wondering if feeding that in a Scart-to-Component box would allow for 480p Dreamcast on EDTV sets.
Yes. It outputs 480p through SCART. And that's a very good idea. Someone should test it.

Galdelico

Just out of curiosity, guys, since I don't plan to buy one anytime soon: does the Framemeister provide any video mode/option, to get rid of the colored overscan you get with some systems - i.e. the Mega Drive/Genesis - when they're displayed on current HDTVs?

This is what I'm talking about:

01042010423.jpg

D.Lo

Just out of curiosity, guys, since I don't plan to buy one anytime soon: does the Framemeister provide any video mode/option, to get rid of the colored overscan you get with some systems - i.e. the Mega Drive/Genesis - when they're displayed on current HDTVs?

01042010423.jpg
That's the overscan area expected to be cropped on a CRT. You could zoom in. Your TV probably has the options too.

If you think that's bad, wait until you see the coloured borders on Mark III/Master System. Or even worse, PAL Master System...

Rongolian

Banned

Yeah, it's quite easy to crop/scale the image however you'd like.

There are even custom profiles that can be loaded on to a Micro SD and loaded into the Framemeister to remove overscan, use 4x or 5x integer scaling, and even crop the picture to remove some vertical scrolling artifacts like can be seen on Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES, all without having to fiddle with the settings yourself!

Galdelico

That's the overscan area expected to be cropped on a CRT. You could zoom in. Your TV probably has the options too.

If you think that's bad, wait until you see the coloured borders on Mark III/Master System. Or even worse, PAL Master System...
Yeah exactly, that's what I do with my CRT TV. Vertical geometry settings carry over just fine across each system, whereas I have to manually adjust horizontal size and center, according to which console I want to play.
Sometimes I feel tempted by the god-tier IQ you get out of a Framemeister, but there are things (about retrogaming on current displays) that distract me way more than the issues you can experience with old CRTs - say, geometry imperfections, overscan... - and one of them is those atrocious borders. That's why I was wondering if the XRGB-mini could do the trick, and allow you to 'hide' them, without touching the zoom option of your TV.

Oh, and I've seen a PAL Master System straight up running on a full HD monitor. Man, the glare was... Intense.

Yeah, it's quite easy to crop/scale the image however you'd like.

There are even custom profiles that can be loaded on to a Micro SD and loaded into the Framemeister to remove overscan, use 4x or 5x integer scaling, and even crop the picture to remove some vertical scrolling artifacts like can be seen on Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES, all without having to fiddle with the settings yourself!
Ok, this sounds pretty awesome and interesting.
I'm just curious, so I don't want to waste your/anyone's time, but... Is there any video showing this in action? Something like a before-after kind of comparison?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So my SNES S-Video cable is a pile of garbage apparently. There's a short somewhere along the line and I had the twist and fidget with the damn thing for 20 minutes for it to start working, and when it did there's a clear visible area in the center of the screen that's lighter than the rest. (It did this on my old TV as well, so it's definitely not the new CRT.)

Can anyone recommend a quality one?

So my SNES S-Video cable is a pile of garbage apparently. There's a short somewhere along the line and I had the twist and fidget with the damn thing for 20 minutes for it to start working, and when it did there's a clear visible area in the center of the screen that's lighter than the rest. (It did this on my old TV as well, so it's definitely not the new CRT.)

OEM :)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd snatch it up while the opportunity is there and put it aside for the time being. Never know when you will see one that cheap again.

Is that the 20N5U above it?

I'm tempted to go buy both and stick 'em in a closet for whenever mine crap out.

I just don't know if I want to spend that much time on the road...gah.

TGMIII

Anyone here have any experience with OldskoolKonsoles in the UK?

Listed as the only English recommended installer for the RGBNES in Europe but just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with using them or anyone else that they would recommend.

Timu

I got this and worked perfectly well, plus no composite on it as well.

Can anyone recommend me a quality one that won't cost more than the CRT itself?

There is a seller on eBay (not retro_console_accessories) that sells s-vid snes cables. They are hand made like other good sellers, I think. And it's s-vid only no composite. He bills it as the "best" snes s-vid cable. I think it had good reviews. Been a while since I've seen the store, though.

Mega

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a quality one that won't cost more than the CRT itself?

I ordered a $10 "Cinpel" S-video cable from Amazon, currently sold out. It worked perfectly fine and I later obtained an official cable to make sure I could not do better. Both gave an identical picture as far as I could tell. The Cinpel looked no different from a bunch of $5-10 cables on ebay. Pick one that looks good and at worse you're out a few bucks. Divineocn sells one for $3.47 but I can't speak to its quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom