• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galdelico

Trinitron-GAF, any tips - as in Service Menu settings that work well for you - on how to proper setup R/G/B values, subcontrast/brightness/color etc., on a Sony KV-21FX30B CRT TV?
Thanks in advance guys.

Khaz

Trinitron-GAF, any tips - as in Service Menu settings that work well for you - on how to proper setup R/G/B values, subcontrast/brightness/color etc., on a Sony KV-21FX30B CRT TV?
Thanks in advance guys.

Values will be different for each screen. Your best tool would be to use 240p test suite to properly adjust your display. There are quite a few settings that you can't properly adjust without using an oscilloscope though, so it's best not to touch them at all. How to calibrate everything should be written in the service manual.

Galdelico

Values will be different for each screen. Your best tool would be to use 240p test suite to properly adjust your display. There are quite a few settings that you can't properly adjust without using an oscilloscope though, so it's best not to touch them at all. How to calibrate everything should be written in the service manual.
Oh, I see thank you. ^_-
I'm under the impression that the previous owner of my CRT messed up the settings on his own, because with everything on standard values (colors, brightness, contrast...), the picture doesn't look 'standard' at all. Took a picture of what everything looks like right now, on the Service Menu - so I can get back to it in case - but I'll give the 240p Suite a shot (I briefly used it to check out geometry issues). I didn't mean to do anything crazy, though, just to bring back the colors to a more natural tone.

Khaz

There is nothing standard in a CRT. How they are built means the original value is approximately the same, but one need to tweak it a bit to get a normalised output. That's why the correct value isn't 50 on a 1-100 scale but instead somewhere in that range, and the following CRT on the assembly line will need slightly different values.

[edit] I'm only talking about the service menu settings here. Once they are normalised to produce a standard picture, the user settings should be the same on every display of the range.

Peagles

I see a listing for a SNES Scart cable on Play-Asia for $3.99. I thought those things were generally pretty pricey?

Like anything there's cheap stuff and there's handmade expensive stuff. However, I have a couple of those cables and for $3.99 they're certainly better than any other cable under $10.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
SCART to component arrived

dmYzfAGh.jpg

televator

Picture quality GAF, this is a crying shame of high order... My camera sucks! I've tried taking shots of my plasma before and the pictures are total ass juice. Ugh

I'm playing Okami HD wilst the PS3 pumps out RGB limited to the TV in RGB limited, 4:4:4 mode... Un-fucking-believable.

Weather Okami is the most beautiful game on PS2 isn't even a question. But is Okami the most beautiful game on PS3? I-I wanna say yes. Even knowing of and having experienced TLoU and Journey. As beautiful as those games are... Okami... Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn son!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Picture quality GAF, this is a crying shame of high order... My camera sucks! I've tried taking shots of my plasma before and the pictures are total ass juice. Ugh

I'm playing Okami HD wilst the PS3 pumps out RGB limited to the TV in RGB limited, 4:4:4 mode... Un-fucking-believable.

Weather Okami is the most beautiful game on PS2 isn't even a question. But is Okami the most beautiful game on PS3? I-I wanna say yes. Even knowing of and having experienced TLoU and Journey. As beautiful as those games are... Okami... Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn son!

Yeah, Okami looks unreal on the PS3. Hexadrive never fails.

Mega

Banned

What camera are you using?

televator

What camera are you using?

Some old Nikon Coolpix. It's fine for shooting real life scenes at daylight, but other lighting can affect it adversely. I took some Luigi's Mansion shots running on Nintendon't. The colors don't come through at all like they are on the screen and there's this weird artifact that I think is cause by the screen's anti reflective layer.

Timu

I should get that version and do direct feeds screens on it.

Mega

Banned
Some old Nikon Coolpix. It's fine for shooting real life scenes at daylight, but other lighting can affect it adversely. I took some Luigi's Mansion shots running on Nintendon't. The colors don't come through at all like they are on the screen and there's this weird artifact that I think is cause by the screen's anti reflective layer.

Try turning off the lights and going as full manual as possible! (okay, maybe not an option with your camera). On my cam I change the color temp... and bump up the saturation or turn on vivid mode. Otherwise the colors are off or muted.

Depending on the monitor and the scanning frequency, you should try different angles (left, right, slightly above/below). Sometimes you need to come up closer and capture only part of the screen to get the best image. I manual focus because CRTs have a way of throwing off auto-focus and making the image unpleasantly blurry.

televator

I can capture in RGB HDMI!
Cool, I'd recommend RGB limited settings then on both the PS3 and your capture device. Best to be on the safe side with standard black levels. At worst something gets washed out, at best there's no difference with RGB full.

televator

Try turning off the lights and going as full manual as possible! (okay, maybe not an option with your camera). On my cam I change the color temp... and bump up the saturation or turn on vivid mode. Otherwise the colors are off or muted.

Depending on the monitor and the scanning frequency, you should try different angles (left, right, slightly above/below). Sometimes you need to come up closer and capture only part of the screen to get the best image. I manual focus because CRTs have a way of throwing off auto-focus and making the image unpleasantly blurry.

Hmm I figured vivid mode woul be like cheating. Haha. But I'll try out your recommendations. I'll need a good hosting site. What's a good place that won't convert or compress to all hell?

Timu

Cool, I'd recommend RGB limited settings then on both the PS3 and your capture device. Best to be on the safe side with standard black levels. At worst something gets washed out, at best there's no difference with RGB full.
In my experience limited tends be washed out though , I stick with full but if there is a difference I can do both.

televator

In my experience limited tends be washed out though , I stick with full but if there is a difference I can do both.

Okay, set the BD/DVD option in Video Settings to RGB and then go to the RGB full range option in the Display settings. You can toggle that between full/limited and just capture both accordingly... I'm saying this like you already have the game. lol Okay, first, buy the game. But no hurry. Haha!

Mega

Banned
You'd think it's cheating until you see some of your uploaded photos look muted compared to what you saw on screen. It dampens the CRT magic!

In this pic below, I did not yet start using enhanced saturation and the reds/oranges are actually duller than what I was watching on my monitor. It may not seem obvious, but the somewhat dull orange and yellow of the circular hit effects and the brown rocks were especially glaring to me.

Imgur meets my needs. It compresses images above a certain size but it is not a noticeable change. You can post reduced size versions of images to spare everyone's browsers if you're going to post a bunch.

Original (too big?): http://i.imgur.com/SR94TJm.jpg
Huge (good size): http://i.imgur.com/SR94TJmh.jpg

televator

Nice, thanks for the tips.

Also it just occurred to me that Katamari forever also play at native 1080p and will also benefit from my set's 4:4:4 mode. Sweet.

Danchi

Has anyone heard any impressions of the new RGB cables that Solaris Japan are selling now? Are they being made by Micomsoft?

ToD_

My BVM-20f1U died on me last week. It turns on, but the overload light is on immediately, and the monitor shows alternating colors. It starts white, then goes red and green, if I remember correctly. I tried unplugging everything, and even taking out the expansion boards. There doesn't seem to be much I can do. If anyone has any ideas how to resolve this, however, please do let me know!

I posted the above back in December. I turned the BVM back on yesterday for the first time since then, and now it's working again! Like nothing happened!

I'll never talk shit about your thick scanlines again, BVM. Please stay alive.

So, those gold plated composite cables - any marginal increase in PQ with those? Just BS? There's a free one sitting in my office and I am fixing to hook both a Famicom and NES to a pro monitor soon. I know it's still composhit but I figure it can't hurt....

Peltz

So, those gold plated composite cables - any marginal increase in PQ with those? Just BS? There's a free one sitting in my office and I am fixing to hook both a Famicom and NES to a pro monitor soon. I know it's still composhit but I figure it can't hurt....
It definitely can't hurt as long as you keep your expectations in check.

But yes, not all composite cables were created equal. Some are lossier than others. But remember, they're all lossy.

By the way, what options (if any) exist to output Game Gear games to a CRT without resorting to emulation?

SKINNER!

Banned
I've updated my earlier S-Video to HDMI converter N64 investigation post if anyone is interested.

Thanks for this very informative post. I've never used S-video but do have a port on the back of my 23" Samsung LCD TV back from 2006 that may come in handy for something one day. I'll definitely keep the Swedish seller in mind.

Can you please tell me what kind of mod you're using on your system to play PAL and NTSC U games?

No worries buddy :) S-Video ports on LCD TVs are worth keeping and I urge you to get that cable as it will simply amaze you.

I'm using two ways to testing NTSC games on my PAL system.

1.) Everdrive 64
2.) Universal Games Adapter

I was getting the same results using both ways.

Chinner

Banned
Anyone know where you can get a male scart to BNC cable in the uk ? Retro gaming cables have been out of stock for awhile...

Peagles

Anyone know where you can get a male scart to BNC cable in the uk ? Retro gaming cables have been out of stock for awhile...

Do you ever see SCART to component cables kicking around that way? I've picked up a few second hand Monster cables for a couple of bucks each to use with my switches and they're way better quality.

For example: http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/tvs/cables-aerials/auction-1006355304.htm

Then you get some little RCA to BNC adapters that cost a few cents each and you're good to go!

Chinner

Banned
Do you ever see SCART to component cables kicking around that way? I've picked up a few second hand Monster cables for a couple of bucks each to use with my switches and they're way better quality.

For example: http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/tvs/cables-aerials/auction-1006355304.htm

Then you get some little RCA to BNC adapters that cost a few cents each and you're good to go!

Thanks, just checked and nothing suitable... But retro gaming cables has put it stock right now!

It definitely can't hurt as long as you keep your expectations in check.

But yes, not all composite cables were created equal. Some are lossier than others. But remember, they're all lossy.

Thanks. Definitely not expecting it to do much. It's also very thick so I guess it's well-shielded. I grabbed it and will see if I think there's any difference on my Trinitron. There are only two cords so it's perfect for the FC/NES.

SCART to component arrived

Every time I see good quality Genesis/Mega Drive shots I am amazed. Shit looks so good.

Also that game gear thing looks really neat, but I just can't think of many games that I would want to play on it. I don't think the system is a raging dumpster fire like the 32X, its just that most of the games I like on it are better on the Master System. Tails Adventure is still probably the only GG exclusive game that I've liked enough to beat multiple times.

Chinner

Banned
I can see that the scart switcher has audio outputs. I'm guessing I can plug my speakers into that and not worry about the connecting it up to PVM?

Khaz

I can see that the scart switcher has audio outputs. I'm guessing I can plug my speakers into that and not worry about the connecting it up to PVM?

If they are active speakers yes sure. It's a lineout so you want an amp between the phono output and passive speakers.

TGMIII

When dealing with Japanese import systems/games is there a seller/store people typically have had good dealings with and can recommend?

Trying to get my hands on a Japanese MegaDrive1 and most, if not all, the listings available to me on ebay are Asian region models (PAL-I) which from what I understand are very hit or miss in terms of their quality both with video, audio and game compatibility.

televator

Welp. I gave it a try...

It was very difficult just to get these somewhat decent images off screen. Note that I didn't use any color saturation method for these. Vivid color mode on my camera makes everything look neon and just exaggerates everything.

Here's the only somewhat visible shot of Luigi's Mansion.
It's no way representative as far as color, but it gives a little glimpse of how good the scaling is. This is 480p off the WiiU. The plasma is doing all the scaling. Maybe I'll try to get some better shots later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom