• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So this little scaling device has been creating some buzz on shmups for a while. Fudoh finally has a review: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html

Pretty fantastic device if you've got a display to support its various features.
Should be a MLIG review coming up soon. Which reminds me of their NGC RGB video coming up. I don't know if they decided to include the various mods currently in development. They have prototypes of at least a couple afaik.

I haven't had a chance to read Fudoh's write-up yet, but does it have the issue the Framemeister does with switching between 240p and 480i? Because if not, I'm sold. I don't even care what the price tag is.

televator

I still think that individual HDMI mod solutions will offer more robust and tailored options for their respective systems. They also have the advantage of digital -> digital lossless data transmission. That's something a catch all scaler/processor solution just won't have.

However, I think total saturation of HDMI mods is still a ways off, and perhaps some systems just won't ever have that option. The OSSC has very particular points of interest as well... 480p RGB PS2 is finally a viable option! Sweet, sweet deliverence. lol Also 4:4:4 color space processing from start to finish is just... God damn... This means there is zero sub sampling and chroma retains its entire RGB resolution in full. Most devices nowadays work down to 4:2:0 as a consequence of compressing chroma info into the YCbCr space of 4:2:2 for interlaced signals and progressive signals simply tossing out odd line info to send a fixed pixel display 4:2:0. It's a funny and wacky way video works within the confines of old broadcast standards. So anyway with the OSSC, any panel that has the capacity to work in 4:4:4 color mode effectively eliminates any and all chance of some sub standard component doing a bad job of down sampling and up sampling from RGB source to display. The only possible weak link left is the ADC.

Since it's an FPGA, the sky is the limit now. You basically have a piece of hardware that can behave in any manner that may be needed. No longer as limited by rigid and cost prohibitive hardware standards and manufacturing. If the framemeister had an unwanted quirk in one of its processors, there was no fixing it short of redesigning the hardware. With an FPGA, just rewrite some code and update your firmware.

D.Lo

I'm on the waitlist for one of those things. Will be cool to try.

I still think that individual HDMI mod solutions will offer more robust and tailored options for their respective systems. They also have the advantage of digital -> digital lossless data transmission. That's something a catch all scaler solution just won't have.
I'm not into them. Expensive major console surgery.

I think this box has the right idea, just going for 480p. TVs can handle the rest fine in most cases - that's why the Hanzo was great for Dreamcast, my TV did the rest of the job perfectly.

televator

I'm on the waitlist for one of those things. Will be cool to try.

I'm not into them. Expensive major console surgery.

I think this box has the right idea, just going for 480p. TVs can handle the rest fine in most cases - that's why the Hanzo was great for Dreamcast, my TV did the rest of the job perfectly.

Meh. For picture quality, I have a high cap for "expensive." And console surgery is par for the corse. Region mods, overclocks, video out mods... It's nothing unheard of. Another interesting thing about the OSSC is that it line triples 240p to 720p. That's kinda cray. I'll probably end up with all HDMI mods available as well as the OSSC. HDMI mods were going to put my XRGB out of business, but the OSSC will have worthwhile unique features I think.

Madao

if i had learned about the OSSC before getting the HDMI mod for N64, i'd have replaced my FM with it without a doubt.

but right now i'm torn. on one hand, it handles 480p better than FM but on the other there's the audio complications. also, i use the FM at 1080p all the time to match my TV's internal resolution so i dunno about dropping down to 480p. also, my receiver transcodes 480p good enough and i also have a Wii U to get better output from Wii games natively.
so, the OSSC would mostly help just the GC+GBP and i use that very rarely atm.

still, since it's pretty early, there's a good chance to see lots of improvement. i might get one when i have some money lying around and nothing to buy.

televator

if i had learned about the OSSC before getting the HDMI mod for N64, i'd have replaced my FM with it without a doubt.

but right now i'm torn. on one hand, it handles 480p better than FM but on the other there's the audio complications. also, i use the FM at 1080p all the time to match my TV's internal resolution so i dunno about dropping down to 480p. also, my receiver transcodes 480p good enough and i also have a Wii U to get better output from Wii games natively.
so, the OSSC would mostly help just the GC+GBP and i use that very rarely atm.

still, since it's pretty early, there's a good chance to see lots of improvement. i might get one when i have some money lying around and nothing to buy.

Well for the N64, there's something about the OSSC that is a trade off that perhaps isn't so well suited to N64 high res games. The OSSC strictly line doubles 15Khz 480i. That means there is no deinterlacing. It takes the odd field, line doubles it and puts that out. That means half the picture detail is gone.

I was ready to dump my Framemeister before I got to that detail. lol So if you care about keeping all the detail from 480i, the FM and the N64 HDMI mod have a definite upper hand here. The UltraHDMI likely also benefits from not doing any chroma sub sampling like the OSSC, but it goes further by being strictly digital.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The OSSC strictly line doubles 15Khz 480i. That means there is no deinterlacing. It takes the odd field, line doubles it and puts that out. That means half the picture detail is gone.

No, the review made it pretty clear that it handles 480i the same way that the old XRGBs do: it displays each field by themselves, alternating back and forth on each frame, and offsetting them toward each other a little so that the wobble/flicker effect is tolerable.

televator

No, the review made it pretty clear that it handles 480i the same way that the old XRGBs do: it displays each field by themselves, alternating back and forth on each frame, and offsetting them toward each other a little so that the wobble/flicker effect is tolerable.

I'm not very familiar with the XRGB 3, but I was going off of this part:
The Framemeister offers reference deinterlacing for 480i material. It's in fact the only processor to offer near native 480p quality for 480i from all kinds of sources. It's really this good. Great deinterlacing comes at the price of increased lag though and so the OSSC takes the alternative path and offers fast single-field processing for 480i sources. In general I would recommend this for any kind of fast action, while you probably prefer "real" 480i deinterlacing if your favorite genre are J-RPGs from that era.

But your explananation makes sense. It doesn't throw out any fields, it's just that each frame ends up being half the resolution. I think I got it. Though it doesn't sound a whole lot better compared to actual deinterlacing.

Titan91

Neo Member
That's exactly what 480i represents. Photographing a 480i game will capture the odd or even lines unless you use a slow shutter speed and end up capturing both fields.

Dang! You're both correct. I went back and counted every line in those photos and it's just a field. So basically it would be like playing with Swiss in forced 240p mode. With that in mind I'm sure the only way to get this effect is with a bigger PVM.

So if an HD CRT is being given 15khz signal, it will only draw 480 lines? Whereas if it is given a 31khz signal, it will draw 720 progressive or 1080 interlaced lines? Wouldn't that also produce scan lines, since the lines drawn in 15khz mode will have more space in between them, as the same screen size is being divided up into 480 parts rather than 720-1080? The drawn lines are always the same size right?

You're on the right track but this isn't technically correct. A 15KHz signal will produce 240 lines on the screen at any given time, which are interlaced one after the other in such a way to fool the human eye into seeing a full 480 line image. 31KHz will get you a full progressive 480 line image in which there are all 480 lines on-screen at any given time.

Khaz

15/31kHz and 50/60Hz are the rate at which the electron beam scans the screen from one side to the other. It's one smooth movement that doesn't stop (making the "horizontal" lines slightly sloped). Based on these two numbers, you can calculate easily how many lines will be drawn on your screen. Being able to do these maths should clear up your mind a bit regarding how a CRT work, what are the differences between the different resolutions, why there is no native resolution but only a maximum one, etc.

It linedoubles 15khz signals. I don't believe it has any meaningful lag that would indicate processing.
**re-read 645s post and yeah I think he's right my b.,
Also no, it does not have the same issue the framemeister has with switching signals but I think it might still go blank to swap, not positive.

The shmups thread answers pretty much all you guys' questions.

Mega

Banned
So if an HD CRT is being given 15khz signal, it will only draw 480 lines? Whereas if it is given a 31khz signal, it will draw 720 progressive or 1080 interlaced lines? Wouldn't that also produce scan lines, since the lines drawn in 15khz mode will have more space in between them, as the same screen size is being divided up into 480 parts rather than 720-1080? The drawn lines are always the same size right?

This is where you're getting mixed up. If a monitor has 15KHz scanning frequency, it can do max 240 alternating lines at 60hz refresh. It's not 480 lines at once. A multiscan HD CRT at 15KHz is behaving like any other SD monitor. It is displaying 240 lines with the typical visible scanlines.

480p and 1080i (540 alternating lines) are resolutions in the realm of 28-33KHz monitors or higher. Some monitors, like the first HD Sony pro monitors, only operate around this scanning frequency range and have neither 240p/480i nor 720p capability (720 requires a significantly higher frequency). This is also why some consumer HD CRTs are crappy for 240p/480i retro gaming.

Since 480p is displaying 480 lines at once (not 240 like SD displays), the gaps in between the lines are very tight and much smaller. If you have a sharp monitor you can just barely see them like in my Tatsunoko example. I personally cannot see the alternating lines at 1080i although I'm sure a good camera can capture the distinct 540 lines in a single field.

I tried 720p and there are no gaps in between the live scanlines. Took a very sharp up close photo of Mario 64 on the HDMI N64, max zoomed in on the captured image, and I can start to see the vertical TV lines (800TVL monitor) but they're solid and unbroken unlike 240p and 480p. Maybe if it was a 1000TVL monitor there would be very faint ones, but this is all just pointless curiosity. I've been playing 480p Doom64 and it looks dope, I can only see lines in the big text while paused in the menu.

I do wonder if the lines at 480p are the same thickness or thinner than the lines at 240p/480. Does the beam change size or does it simply overlap to create 720 lines of resolution? Overlap is probably the wrong word... Sweep more tightly?

As Khaz mentioned, the resolution multiplied by the refresh give you the frequency.

Here are the supported frequencies on my HD monitor:
15.625/15.734/28.125/31.5/33.75/45kHz

And the supported resolutions:
480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 1080i, 1080/24psF, 720/60p, 720/50p

You can do the math and see that each res falls in closely with one of the listed frequencies. If missile were here he would expand on my post x10 and fix any errors!

I do wonder if the lines at 480p are the same thickness or thinner than the lines at 240p/480. Does the beam change size or does it simply overlap to create 720 lines of resolution? Overlap is probably the wrong word... Sweep more tightly?

The beam scans faster to cover more space in the same amount of time. Faster beam = less blooming of phosphor, potentially thinner lines. But yes, the lines are also closer together.

Lettuce

So im toying with the idea of getting an Arcade Tri-sync 29" monitor to use for my consoles (NES upto PS2 era), how feasible actually is this, and what devices would be ideal to get for allowing me to hook my scart cables up to the monitor? Would 480p game switch the monitor into 31khz, or is there actually a way to get 31khz via scart for consoles such as the PS2??.

Obviosuly id need to knock up a case for the monitor to sit in, and then theres the case of sorting auido out, maybe a small amp hooked up to car speakers and also mounted inside the case?.

Any suggestion or ideas?

Danny Dudekisser

Apparently, the device does NOT suffer from the 240p -> 480i switching issues the XRGB units do.

Fudoh said:
The other is the long sync drop out when a game switches between 240p and 480i picture modes. While the Framemeister leaves you with a black screen for 7-10 seconds (depends on your display as well), the OSSC just shows a little shake or flash and continue unfased.

In other words, I'm sold. It's ridiculous that it took this long for a solution, but it sounds like we finally have one. This sounds like an XRGB where I don't have to tinker with shit and can just enjoy actually... y'know, playing the games.

televator

That...is...awesome!!!

According to that beta review, it sorta jumps very briefly. It's still a lot better than the XRGB.

It won't be as expensive either. I'll definitely get one for the 4:4:4 process on 240p material. PS1, Saturn, Genesis, SNES with this device and with well shielded cables on a 4:4:4 screen ought to be jaw dropping. It'll be about as clean as you can ever hope to get from an analog source.

My hope is that maybe a future revision of software and/or hardware will allow the option of motion adaptive deinterlacing. That would effectively render the XRGB entirely obsolete. In its current form it has inferior picture quality to the XRGB with 480i material. I understand that it's lag less, and that's fine, but a simple option to toggle PQ/no lag would only be a plus

You're on the right track but this isn't technically correct. A 15KHz signal will produce 240 lines on the screen at any given time, which are interlaced one after the other in such a way to fool the human eye into seeing a full 480 line image. 31KHz will get you a full progressive 480 line image in which there are all 480 lines on-screen at any given time.
What about a 31 khz signal that displays 720 progressive lines? Or is that 45 khz? I thought the HD PVM/BVMs did 15-31 khz.

Danny Dudekisser

The only XRGB that suffers from this is the Framemeister.

I seem to recall there was some weirdness with the XRGB-3, too. Or at least, I remember the overlay would show up every time the resolution changed. It's been a while since I've played Chrono Cross, so maybe I'm misremembering.

What about a 31 khz signal that displays 720 progressive lines? Or is that 45 khz? I thought the HD PVM/BVMs did 15-31 khz.

The "khz" is really just talking about scanning rate, and is simple math from the number of lines displayed per frame. So a 31khz display would never show more than 480 lines at once. The only reason we even have to talk about scanning rate is the because interlaced standards like 480i mean # of lines can be cut in half for each frame.

Khaz

You want to display 720 lines in 1/60th seconds, so one line will last t seconds on screen:
t =1/60 ÷ 720
t = 2.31×10^(-5) seconds
The frequency in Hz being the inverse of the time, or 1/t:
F = 1/t = 1/(1/60) ÷ 1/720
F = 60 × 720
F = 43200 Hz

Not so far off your 45kHz, not accounting for the frequencies rounding and blanking time.

Mega

Banned

I mentioned in my prior post that some very old "HD" Sony monitors could do up to 480p and 1080i (31-33KHz)... and sometimes they were limited to only those resolutions (no 240p/480i).

720p is indeed 45KHz and this was doable by later, more advanced HD monitors. See the features and specs for the HD BVM and JVC:

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/prod_detail.cfm?eq_id=439030

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/MONITOR/brochure/dtv1710cg.pdf

Some PC monitors were doing crazy HD resolutions around 2000 when we were all rocking 480i on consoles and running 800x600 (or worse!) on our 98/XP machines. The Sony GDM had 4:3 1440p and 30-121KHz.

Hawk269

I'm interested in this box. Could you give us some more info on it? A name or place to buy maybe :)

I will post pictures and a link to the box in a few days. Been really busy trying to wire all my old school consoles to various screens seeing what works out the best.

Isn't a device that targets 480p a bit short sighted when new TVs are moving more and more towards 4K?

That being said, I'm keen to pick one of these up if it is appropriately priced.

Peltz

So this little scaling device has been creating some buzz on shmups for a while. Fudoh finally has a review: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html

Pretty fantastic device if you've got a display to support its various features.
Should be a MLIG review coming up soon. Which reminds me of their NGC RGB video coming up. I don't know if they decided to include the various mods currently in development. They have prototypes of at least a couple afaik.

Let's see here:

For its 720p output the OSSC offers a number of options including fullscreen (16:9) or pillarbox (4:3) output. You can also try special sampling modes, which are fine-tuned for systems with a 256- or 320-pixel-columns outputs. These include NES, SNES, MD or the Playstation. Using these modes will provide perfectly integer scaling factors on the horizontal axis. This is especially interesting as the Framemeister can't do that. The Mini uses generic sampling rates instead, which gives you the flexibility of free aspect ratio controls, but it will never give you perfectly sharp pixel edges on the sides. But to keep this in perspective: it probably didn't bother you in the past and it most likely won't bother you in the future. This is for perfectionists only.

giphy.gif

Isn't a device that targets 480p a bit short sighted when new TVs are moving more and more towards 4K?

That being said, I'm keen to pick one of these up if it is appropriately priced.
Worth mentioning it basically started as a hobby project. It isn't like the guy was designing it for the market.

Peltz

Absolutely not. Finding a decent transcoder to get old analogue 480i and 480p signals into many modern fixed pixel displays via HDMI is not at all easy.

This appears to be the best all in one solution out there.

Plus, a lot of HDTVs then scale from 480p to native res really well. The fact that this is lagless with no frame buffer makes it a very enticing prospect as well.

I'm into the cleanest all natural signal possible, and framemeister personally doesn't do it for me (although it's the best solution we've had up till now). The Framemeister really REALLY sucks at 480p too.

Not to mention there's no 8 second pause when switching resolutions either.

And finally, this seems like the absolute best way to play Dreamcast on a fixed pixel display that doesn't have a VGA port.

Danny Dudekisser

Absolutely not. Finding a decent transcoder to get old analogue 480i and 480p signals into many modern fixed pixel displays via HDMI is not at all easy.

This appears to be the best all in one solution out there.

Plus, a lot of HDTVs then scale from 480p to native res really well. The fact that this is lagless with no frame buffer makes it a very enticing prospect as well.

I'm into the cleanest all natural signal possible, and framemeister personally doesn't do it for me (although it's the best solution we've had up till now). The Framemeister really REALLY sucks at 480p too.

Not to mention there's no 8 second pause when switching resolutions either.

And finally, this seems like the absolute best way to play Dreamcast on a fixed pixel display that doesn't have a VGA port.

The Dreamcast aspect of it is really convenient. I was going to have to buy a separate converter just for that system, but now... well, I guess I don't.

I think I finally understand how the multi-sync pro monitors work, thanks Mega and Khaz.

About the OSSC, I have been looking around for a used flat screen TV for a while to replace my old 720p lcd projection Sony, which I like a lot but can't be wall mounted and has other draw backs. I had a brief stint of interest, from advice here, in pro plasma monitors, which tended to only go up to 720p, but would still be better than my display. I also saw a few that did 480p. A 480p (native, max resolution) professional plasma display with low hours would be the perfect pairing for the OSSC, dontcha think?

KC-Slater

I think I finally understand how the multi-sync pro monitors work, thanks Mega and Khaz.

About the OSSC, I have been looking around for a used flat screen TV for a while to replace my old 720p lcd projection Sony, which I like a lot but can't be wall mounted and has other draw backs. I had a brief stint of interest, from advice here, in pro plasma monitors, which tended to only go up to 720p, but would still be better than my display. I also saw a few that did 480p. A 480p professional plasma display with low hours would be the perfect pairing for the OSSC, dontcha think?

I have a 2013 Panasonic Pro Plasma, and I can attest that they are great for gaming, including retro gaming. You can find them up to 1080p, but 720p models tend to hit the price/availability sweet spot. For what it's worth, the 720p models still support 1080p source material, and content looks awesome in 720p at around 42 inches, anyway.

Many models offer upgradable input 'cards' (for additional inputs/input types), and they accept a wide variety of input resolutions. They may lack a TV tuner (mine does) and even speakers (mine were sold separately, although are designed for my specific display model.) Generally, they have a lot more in common with PC monitor than a TV. They have some neat features, such as support for portrait/tate-mode, and have a pretty awesome industrial aesthetic to them. If you can source one cheap, new or with low hours, I highly recommend going for it!

I have been on the fence about picking up a Framemeister, but I definitely plan on pulling the trigger on a OSSC.

televator

Oh right, the OSSC has no frame buffer. There's no way it can be programmed to deinterlace 480i, then.

It's going to be annoying having to switch between the OSSC and the FM, but oh well... Motion compensated deinterlacing in 4:4:4 would be super neat.

Somebody is selling a JVC TM-A13SU 13" CRT monitor near me. Has anybody had any experience with this line of monitors?

Good buy? They are asking for 125.

EDIT: Ahhh, it doesn't look like it even accepts an RGB input. Nevermind.

Peltz

Oh right, the OSSC has no frame buffer. There's no way it can be programmed to deinterlace 480i, then.

It's going to be annoying having to switch between the OSSC and the FM, but oh well... Motion compensated deinterlacing in 4:4:4 would be super neat.
Wait... Doesn't it just temporaly line double to get to 480p or is that not possible?

How do fixed pixel HDTVs scale 480i content? The good ones seem to interpolate to create a steady image without noise.

The framemeister,in contrast, seems to be able to accurately reproduce that noise even on a fixed pixel display (even though most of us might not want to see it).

I'd love to know exactly how these things are accomplished in general.

I have a 2013 Panasonic Pro Plasma, and I can attest that they are great for gaming, including retro gaming. You can find them up to 1080p, but 720p models tend to hit the price/availability sweet spot. For what it's worth, the 720p models still support 1080p source material, and content looks awesome in 720p at around 42 inches, anyway.
My only concern is that most of the ones I saw say their native resolution is 768, like a computer monitor, and that might cause problems with 720p content.

KC-Slater

My only concern is that most of the ones I saw say their native resolution is 768, like a computer monitor, and that might cause problems with 720p content.

Yes, many are advertised as saying their native res is 1024 x 768, but these displays are able to handle a very wide variety of input resolutions. Their original intended purpose is for digital signage, broadcast, and other uses which require them to be both continuously on for long periods of time, and accept and wide variety of input signals.

Check out this .pdf, page 48 gives you an indication of supported input signals for a typical Panasonic Professional display. Another thing to keep in mind is their life expectancy is estimated to be about double that of a consumer plasma display. Certainly worth noting if you are picking up on second-hand.

Kawika

Yeah there's no worry about scaling already scaled stuff to 4K - it's an integer multiple of 240p, 720p and 1080p.

Really what a 4K Framemeister could bring to the table would be more scanline width options. Or perhaps even non-square pixel emulation.

Another thing about 4K - more pixels to scale nicely with when zooming.

Who wants to zoom? Well, zooming in on GBA games on the Game Boy Player, which has given me these delicious results:

GCN via D-terminal to Framemeister to 4K Sony:

I haven't gotten around to trying my Framemeister on my Sony yet. Do you have the 810? I would really like to see a 4K framemesiter.

I was hoping the 480p upscaling via the TV would be a little better. I have tried wii2hdmi and the Wii U (in 480p and 1080p modes). The Wii U seems to have better upscaling than my TV but I have yet to try component in. That might make a difference. The Wii image quality is still pretty good but the colors aren't so good.

televator

Wait... Doesn't it just temporaly line double to get to 480p or is that not possible?

How do fixed pixel HDTVs scale 480i content? The good ones seem to interpolate to create a steady image without noise.

The framemeister,in contrast, seems to be able to accurately reproduce that noise even on a fixed pixel display (even though most of us might not want to see it).

I'd love to know exactly how these things are accomplished in general.

Line doubling isn't really deinterlacing as it's not a method that combines both fields into one frame. In a line doubled signal from an interlaced source, what you get is one field at a time that is stretched to fill a frame. Essentially, half the vertical resolution is displayed in each frame. Then the other half is displayed in the next frame, and so on and so forth.

How a fixed pixel display handles 480i depends on how good the set is and perhaps whether it is set to game mode. It may just line double, weave, or use full motion compensation algorithms. Everything starting at weaving and beyond requires a frame buffer, because fields need to be temporarily stored in memory as they are processed, and that's what constitutes a real deinterlacing process. This causes lag, but it's not something people will be bothered by in the middle of a JRPG that looks great compared to a line doubled mess.

Yes, many are advertised as saying their native res is 1024 x 768, but these displays are able to handle a very wide variety of input resolutions. Their original intended purpose is for digital signage, broadcast, and other uses which require them to be both continuously on for long periods of time, and accept and wide variety of input signals.

Check out this .pdf, page 48 gives you an indication of supported input signals for a typical Panasonic Professional display. Another thing to keep in mind is their life expectancy is estimated to be about double that of a consumer plasma display. Certainly worth noting if you are picking up on second-hand.
I know it can take just about any signal, but I wonder what it does with 720p or 480p.

missile

Hi guys 'n gals!

That's funny! :)

Thanks to all those who left some kind words, funny words at times (nice one,
televator! xD), about me during the ban.

I came to the conclusion to ask the main contributors of this thread, and the
currently very active ones; whether they can accept my 80 characters limited
posting style or not?

Peagles
Peltz
baphomet
sixteen-bit
IsishNinja
Khaz
Sixfortyfive
NormalFish
antibolo
Timu
televator
D.Lo
Mega
Friend of Sonic
tehSlacker
geniusbits
Madao
Hugger
Rich!
speedlolita
Chacranajxy
Shin Johnpv
Rongolian
StevieWhite
RadarScope1
Lettuce
entremet
BocoDragon
SheepyGuy

If the vast majority will be fine with my posting style, I will keep on
posting the good stuff. Don't hesitate saying no, if you're not fine with it.
I can understand if you don't want to read reflowed text on mobile. No offence
taken. Even if you are not on the list you can give a comment if you feel
like it. I don't want to exclude anyone.

Well, I'm with GAF since 2008 and I do post the way I do since day 1. So its
not any random tactics of mine. I have a nice clean set-up for writing all my
texts which serves me for over a decade. But if you guys 'n gals can't deal
with it, I will reduce my comments in here to an absolut minimum to not annoy
you any longer.

I know my posting style can be off on mobile and I'm sorry for that. It's not
that I'm running around GAF trying to annoying people with my style. My
posting frequency is pretty low (0.68 posts per day) and I only do post in
just a few threads at all, mainly Indie Games Development where people are
fine with my style since ages (most of them are programmers like me). However,
you are the judge.

Cheers,
xT0BKwzaBRIYLHXmE0.gif

Khaz

Hi guys 'n gals!

Why is it that when you quote someone, it doesn't cut it to 80chars per line? Clearly your system can allow to send over 80char per line. I'm assuming your text editor doesn't reflow automatically, so you have to type your stuff with that 80char limit. What you could do however is, once you have typed your response, to remove all the line breaks before sending it to the Internet.

Code:
Hi guys 'n gals!

That's funny! :)

Thanks to all those who left some kind words, funny words at times (nice one,
televator! xD), about me during the ban.

I came to the conclusion to ask the main contributors of this thread, and the
currently very active ones; whether they can accept my 80 characters limited
posting style or not?  
[i]
Peagles
Peltz
baphomet
sixteen-bit
IsishNinja
Khaz
Sixfortyfive
NormalFish
antibolo
Timu
televator
D.Lo
Mega
Friend of Sonic
tehSlacker
geniusbits
Madao
Hugger
Rich!
speedlolita
Chacranajxy
Shin Johnpv
Rongolian
StevieWhite
RadarScope1
Lettuce
entremet
BocoDragon
SheepyGuy
[/i]      
If the vast majority will be fine with my posting style, I will keep on 
posting the good stuff. Don't hesitate saying no, if you're not fine with it. 
I can understand if you don't want to read reflowed text on mobile. No offence
taken. Even if you are not on the list you can give a comment if you feel
like it. I don't want to exclude anyone.

Well, I'm with GAF since 2008 and I do post the way I do since day 1. So its
not any random tactics of mine. I have a nice clean set-up for writing all my
texts which serves me for over a decade. But if you guys 'n gals can't deal
with it, I will reduce my comments in here to an absolut minimum to not annoy
you any longer.

I know my posting style can be off on mobile and I'm sorry for that. It's not
that I'm running around GAF trying to annoying people with my style. My
posting frequency is pretty low (0.68 posts per day) and I only do post in
just a few threads at all, mainly Indie Games Development where people are
fine with my style since ages (most of them are programmers like me). However,
you are the judge.

Cheers,
[img]http://i.giphy.com/xT0BKwzaBRIYLHXmE0.gif[/img]

I just want to quote this wrapped in code tags to see if it looks ok on mobile.

If so can you do that? It would maybe fit fixed width text better anyway.

Edit: That might be worse, can't even scroll left and right in GAF mobile code blocks.

I'm on mobile like 95% of the time I spend on GAF. I'm fine with it. Carry on, but just be mindful that the mods do set the rules. Sometimes it doesn't matter what we posters think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom