• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's where a screwdriver handle helps. You need to press down a bit for a tight fit as you make the initial turn to loosen. You might be able to find something small and flat to apply a little downward pressure as you turn with pliers. Seriously though a screwdriver handle is simpler.
Ok well I got rid of the thing lol so would you recommend that product Nola linked to above for me? I'd like an all-purpose set that I could open console and carts with if possible.

Weevilone

storafötter;196764137 said:
So sounds like the best current solution for the gamecube is to go for the RGB cables for now. Thanks again :). I think I am more than certain that I will buy the Framemeister now thanks to all the help.

One more small note, don't forget that if you don't already own component cables for GameCube and PS2, you can also buy d-terminal cables directly for use with the XRGB-Mini, and skip the component to d-term adapter entirely.

One more small note, don't forget that if you don't already own component cables for GameCube and PS2, you can also buy d-terminal cables directly for use with the XRGB-Mini, and skip the component to d-term adapter entirely.

not that Gamecube DT cables are any cheaper than component.

I'm going the wii + component cables route for gamecube/wii through my xrgb mini

or just dolphin if it runs well/doesn't require wiimote controls

I realize wii has slightly worse IQ than gamecube + component, but it's not a $220 difference to me lol

I'm going the wii + component cables route for gamecube/wii through my xrgb mini

I realize wii has slightly worse IQ than gamecube + component, but it's not a $220 difference to me lol

the framemeister handles the Wii pretty well, too.

Hawk269

Need some advice. I just received a Scart cable for my Sega Genesis and Master System. I am now thinking of getting the XRGB Mini. I know that one of the cable plugs into the Genesis or the Master System, but the scart end, how would I connect that to the XRGB Mini? I have been reading and watching reviews, but is there an additional cable that connects to the Scart end that then plugs into the RGB in on the XRGB Mini?

dhonk

Need some advice. I just received a Scart cable for my Sega Genesis and Master System. I am now thinking of getting the XRGB Mini. I know that one of the cable plugs into the Genesis or the Master System, but the scart end, how would I connect that to the XRGB Mini? I have been reading and watching reviews, but is there an additional cable that connects to the Scart end that then plugs into the RGB in on the XRGB Mini?

yes

It comes with an adapter for JP-21 scart

You probably want this one though: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...emeister-xrgb-mini-passive-converter-for-sale

brainpann

disregard my idiotic post. Was not thinking clearly. :-/

Peagles

Yes. It comes with a JP21 to mini-din cable, so you'll need to buy one that does RGB SCART to mini-din instead.

Couldn't load this before but here's what I use.

Hawk269

Yeah, it comes with JP-21 which he should not plug his (im assuming) EuroSCART cable into.

Just so I am clear, the cable I need is the one a user posted above? I see some saying that JP-21 comes with it and I should be fine and others are saying otherwise. I live in the USA and have a Saturn Scart Cable and now I have one for the Genesis/Master System. My Saturn is using a Scart ot HDMI converter and seems to run pretty good, but looking now to get the XRGB Mini, so what to get all the stuff I need to ensure things will work.

Peagles

Just so I am clear, the cable I need is the one a user posted above? I see some saying that JP-21 comes with it and I should be fine and others are saying otherwise. I live in the USA and have a Saturn Scart Cable and now I have one for the Genesis/Master System. My Saturn is using a Scart ot HDMI converter and seems to run pretty good, but looking now to get the XRGB Mini, so what to get all the stuff I need to ensure things will work.

It's fine only if you are going to be using JP21 cables for your consoles too. Most people don't, and instead use RGB SCART cables, in which case no, don't plug those into the JP21 adapter.

Khaz

The xrgb mini comes with a din to scart connector allowing scart input. If you buy a new xrgb mini, it will come with the connector. You'll be fine.

Dude that's, like, totally wrong. It comes with a JP21 adapter that has the exact same shape as a Scart socket, but with a totally different pinout that will fry his XRGB if he uses a Scart cable on it. He needs to buy an additional adapter made for Scart, and throw the JP21 into the bin.

You should edit your post.

i'm going to hook my wii component up tonight to the bvm, was too distracted staring at ps1 games on the BVM last night. damn, scan line watching is fun =)

Sorry I did forget to mention the bent metal casing on top, skipped my mind until just now.

Every 20" BVM I have seen has had a slightly bent/warped top to it. Even ones that did nothing but sit in a rack mount for a decade. Has to be something to do with the heat and the grating to allow airflow on them.

Found this to be highly enjoyable - nothing terribly new here, but I like the stuff MLIG does.

https://youtu.be/_WEDp1mtF3Q

Wish I went to that. Didn't see it on the schedule.

i'm going to hook my wii component up tonight to the bvm, was too distracted staring at ps1 games on the BVM last night. damn, scan line watching is fun =)

heh, the screens in the ps1 thread are great!

I haven't ascended to scanline watching yet. Refuse to use them on my scaler, 'cause i'd rather have the real thing. also, they look extra bad if you try to stream with them on.

I'm sure I will eventually cave in on a PVM.

brainpann

Yeah, it comes with JP-21 which he should not plug his (im assuming) EuroSCART cable into.

My bad-yes-its jp21 not scart. You'll need either a scart to jp21 or an EuroScart to mini din made for the xrgb mini.

Dude that's, like, totally wrong. It comes with a JP21 adapter that has the exact same shape as a Scart socket, but with a totally different pinout that will fry his XRGB if he uses a Scart cable on it. He needs to buy an additional adapter made for Scart, and throw the JP21 into the bin.

You should edit your post.

Yeah-thanks for that. Done did the thing. ;-)

Youd think with as much time as I have put into my setup, that I wouldnt make such a dumb mistake. Apologies all around.

Mega

Banned
Nice sharp picture form the Sony...but it looks so clean it looks like an emulator with a CRT shader applied

I personally have not seen a CRT shader that looks like a BVM. The ones I tested in Retroarch try to look authentic but fall short by being artificially blurry to soften edges, using a simple and exaggerated glow effect and having little variability in scanline thickness. At a glance from a photo of may look like an emulator, but in person or closely inspected from a sharp photo it looks a lot more vibrant and organic than any emulator. Retroarch on both my plasma TV and AMOLED phone look comparatively dull and flat next to the CRT (tested this using Legendary Axe on PC Engine).

Look at the detail of the main ship in the game below. It looks like it was hand drawn with individually unique lines of bright paint. It's true you won't be staring at scanlines up close while you play and constantly noticing that level of detail, but it has a general screenwide effect of giving this CRT an in-person picture quality that's remarkably differeny and unlike an emulator on a fixed pixel display. The shaders will improve, especially used on 4K displays, but they're a lacking imitation at this stage.

koop7Z2.jpg

Lynd7

Is there any recommended HD computer monitor or something that has smaller levels of LCD motion blur?

CRT filters from console mods etc look great, but motion wise, CRT is still king.

omg, Scanline Jill is so pretty =)
prior to CRT, i've been playin resident evil ps1 on my 60' kuro and the faces are illegible.

wow! she looks so beautiful now...
i took some shots of her. here's a collage

Jill's different moods and expressions:

Angry Jill
7LsDea8h.jpg

Disappointed Jill -"Barry! Where were you? I almost turned into a Jill Sandwich."
PViOudnh.jpg

Lost in thought Jill -"What happened to Captain Wesker?"
6S3A3rHh.jpg

Smirking Jill
SgA0QHLl.jpg

Photogenic Jill
IEdWe8Tl.jpg

dv9bhd9l.jpg

s27AyCgl.jpg

Full Pixel Scanline Jill

i love scanlines!!!

Chinner

Banned
Been messaging someone about a couple of PVMS, and when I ask for pictures he goes quiet for 2 days.... I've had to chase him to find out they're now gone.

Oh well, he's still got a BVM available.

omg, Scanline Jill is so pretty =)
prior to CRT, i've been playin resident evil ps1 on my 60' kuro and the faces are illegible.

wow! she looks so beautiful now...
i took some shots of her. here's a collage

Jill's different moods and expressions:

Angry Jill
7LsDea8h.jpg

Disappointed Jill -"Barry! Where were you? I almost turned into a Jill Sandwich."
PViOudnh.jpg

Lost in thought Jill -"What happened to Captain Wesker?"
6S3A3rHh.jpg

Smirking Jill
SgA0QHLl.jpg

Photogenic Jill
IEdWe8Tl.jpg

dv9bhd9l.jpg

s27AyCgl.jpg

Full Pixel Scanline Jill
Zxhx6ye.jpg

i love scanlines!!!
Yabause 4K Jill
ryyuzcT.png

(I couldn't resist)

StevieWhite

Guys, this feels wrong with all of the awesome PVM talk going on right now, but I am in the market for a new flat panel in the 20"-30" range. Any suggestions? Would primarily be used for retro gaming through upscalers.

Hawk269

My Google fu is failing me. Anyone can link me to a Scart Cable that has a breakout for audio for the Sega Master System/Genesis? I am going to use a Scart to Component converter to connect to my CRT. The Converter does not have Audio, just the 3 colored ports for the video signal. On the Genesis this would not be an issue since I can use a Y-Adapter and run Stereo from the headphone plug, but for the Master System I need something that would work.

Any help would be appreciated. It would need to be NTSC compatible. Thanks!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well the old Zenith TV I had been lusting over at a local Thrift Store has apparently been sold. Sad face.

Well, it's probably for the best, it was at least 26 years old at this point.

yikes! what happened to Yabause 4K Jill? lol
Yabause seems to have crazy warping issues with the Saturn's quads. The characters' vertices wobble around like mad doing the simplest, most subtle animations. It's hideous, and doesn't look nearly that bad on the actual Saturn (though if it does, the 240p resolution masks it pretty well).

Technically BVM>PVM but for games it's all personal preference.

How's the JVC? Only seen that line (BM-xx00SU) in smaller sizes on eBay.

Thanks. So I guess I have a pretty good one. Haven't hooked it up yet. I did briefly test it before bringing it home, but it was with a composite out AV Famicom. Looked OK but that's no way to really put it through its paces.

What kind of cables are necessary for PS2 to output RGB on a PVM (480i)? I'm kind of confused as what exactly I need; not sure if sync strippers and sync on luma cables are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom