• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of cables are necessary for PS2 to output RGB on a PVM (480i)? I'm kind of confused as what exactly I need; not sure if sync strippers and sync on luma cables are needed.
A PS2 SCART cable, then a female SCART to BNC cable. You'll want to break out the audio at some point there, usually the SCART to BNC cable can be found with stereo leads that you can send to speakers or an audio receiver.

I've got a 3.5mm female phono jack dangling out of my female SCART plug on my adaptor. I also have a 3.5mm phono in the back of my Super Famicom.

So cuz the SFC is plugged in most of the time, I use that for sound. If I want to tap sound from any other hardware though, I use that other 3.5mm phono to grab sound directly from the SCART lead.

TGMIII

Any tips on geometry settings for the PVM-14M4E?

It's not massively off but I can't seem to get the sides and bottoms aligned correctly, I never seem to be able to get them completely straight and aligned with the casing.

I spent the weekend getting MAME and mGalaxy set up on my new 50" LCD 4k TV and maaan, am I really digging CPS1/2 games with HLSL scanlines. My other retro systems are hooked up over RGB to a 13" PVM. I've been poking my nose around for a 20" PVM but after seeing the output on my 50" I'm honestly considering getting a framemeister and hooking everything up to the LCD. My only real concern is input lag but my TV is rated for about 18.5ms on the best HDMI in plus whatever the framemeister adds. Has anyone made the jump from CRT to Framemeister or vice versa? Any preference/opinions on one over the other?

Peltz

I spent the weekend getting MAME and mGalaxy set up on my new 50" LCD 4k TV and maaan, am I really digging CPS1/2 games with HLSL scanlines. My other retro systems are hooked up over RGB to a 13" PVM. I've been poking my nose around for a 20" PVM but after seeing the output on my 50" I'm honestly considering getting a framemeister and hooking everything up to the LCD. My only real concern is input lag but my TV is rated for about 18.5ms on the best HDMI in plus whatever the framemeister adds. Has anyone made the jump from CRT to Framemeister or vice versa? Any preference/opinions on one over the other?

I play on both. I definitely prefer the CRT but there's something really cool about playing on a giant 65" screen too.

Certain things like the N64 or 480i/p games really don't look good to my eyes on the XRGB Mini and are much MUCH nicer on a CRT.

Others, like PS1 and many other 2D classic systems upscale really really well on the Mini... But still, it doesn't replace CRT so much as it just makes things look great on modern displays.

CRT is always going to be the best way to play old games in my eyes.

Since my plasma accepts 240p via component, I could easily see myself getting one of those upcoming component cables for the SNES or Genesis and playing them on my big screen in the living room when friends are over. Otherwise it's CRT in basement man cave space.

Chinner

Banned
Taking abit of gamble.

Managed to find a BVM 2010p locally for about £20.00. The seller has listed it as broken/faulty on the basis that it turns on but he is unable to test it. No idea what the condition is like, but I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

This could either be a great buy or just nothing. I'm willing to risk it for £20.

dubc35

Since my plasma accepts 240p via component, I could easily see myself getting one of those upcoming component cables for the SNES or Genesis and playing them on my big screen in the living room when friends are over. Otherwise it's CRT in basement man cave space.
Oh, sweet. I didn't know Genesis and SNES component cables were in work. It looks like they just started production too!

Taking abit of gamble.

Managed to find a BVM 2010p locally for about £20.00. The seller has listed it as broken/faulty on the basis that it turns on but he is unable to test it. No idea what the condition is like, but I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

This could either be a great buy or just nothing. I'm willing to risk it for £20.
I agree, I think 20 quid is worth it to take the risk. Good luck!

TeaJay

This is potentially a stupid question, but here goes.

Can I hook up an old DVD player or even a VHS player to my PVM (or rather switchbox)? As long as they use SCART as the connector. I'd love to watch some of my old VHS tapes or even a Ghibli movie on my PVM.

KC-Slater

Can I hook up an old DVD player or even a VHS player to my PVM (or rather switchbox)? As long as they use SCART as the connector. I'd love to watch some of my old VHS tapes or even a Ghibli movie on my PVM.

Absolutely. Many were used as monitors for video editing and colour grading to begin with.

Peltz

I wanted to watch DVDs on mine via the PS2 but found out that the PS2 cant do DVDs via SCART.

Luckily I also have the component cable.

It was really great to watch SD content at such perfect quality again.

entremet

I wanted to watch DVDs on mine via the PS2 but found out that the PS2 cant do DVDs via SCART.

I've thought of collecting LD for that reason. I know DVD is better, but I love LD cover art. Reminds me of Vinyl and you can get many for dirt cheap in thrift shops.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just fired up my Snes for the first time in a while, and saw this nasty flickering that starts at the top and then goes down. It is most noticable when i play darker levels, but now that I know about it, I see it all the time. What is this? I use an rgb-scart cable from retro_gaming_accessories on ebay. Can it be my Snes, or is it the cable that causes it?

Peagles

My SCART cable has a switch on it, I think it's designed to start a DVD and then switch to RGB after it starts playing. Don't quote me on that though...

Edit: Scratch that, don't think you can switch back to RGB, just switch to composite bleh. Region X could be a workaround though...

Khaz

A (widescreen) SD CRT is the best way to enjoy your DVD in RGB.

I recommend the Sony DVP-SR370. It's the one I have, and it's a blast. Most new DVD players are cheap crap with a shit decoder, even the brand ones like LG or Thomson. I tried a few of them but only the Sony gave me a pretty exceptional picture, better than the big old DVD player bought back in the days by my parents. Models sold in the US have Composite only but share the name, so you want a European model with Scart (triple check it!) and unlock it for multi-zone with a special universal remote and codes found online.

Chinner

Banned
Picked up the BVM ( it's massive), just having a few issues.

image.jpg

Seems like there's something off on the colour balance. Not sure how to fix it. To be honest, the amount of controls is overwhelming....

Also can't get into the menu. Not sure if it's broken or if there's some kind of trick...

Any halp?

Picked up the BVM ( it's massive), just having a few issues.

image.jpg

Seems like there's something off on the colour balance. Not sure how to fix it. To be honest, the amount of controls is overwhelming....

Also can't get into the menu. Not sure if it's broken or if there's some kind of trick...

Any halp?

woah! (i'm pretty new to this, i can't give advice yet) but that screen, even uncalibrated, scanlines look good =)

I'm new to the whole RGB thing, and I just got my NTSC Sega Saturn hooked up like so:

NTSC Sega Saturn Model 1 --> SCART cable --> SCART to component transcoder --> Monster brand component cable --> Sony KV-32FS120 Trinitron CRT​

This is the component transcoder & audio extractor that I bought:

I decided to try testing Mr. Bones, but I was I surprised to find that the whites look pink/magenta when going the RGB route vs. the composite video route. Does anyone have any recommendations? The component transcoder does not have any knobs for color balancing, and I believe I have seen some that do it. Just to be clear, the "white" image is composite video and the "pink" image is the RGB/SCART/component video image.

Maybe someone here might have some recommendations?

Here are some images:

EDIT: Those are Monster brand component cables that I got for cheap (I used it previously for a 4-channel component video switch to a 720p Samsung plasma, and the consoles hooked up to it looked fine).

Also, the Sega Saturn cable I got was from somebody in Poland. I ordered it because the eBay seller retro_console_accessories was closed at the time, and I did not know then that the seller frequently closes it and opens it back up based on when she goes on vacation or she has too many orders. Not sure the exact difference between the csync vs. luma on sync cables, but I remember reading that the Saturn Model 1 should use the csync cable which is what the Polish eBay seller advertised it would be.

I am wondering if it is perhaps the Saturn SCART cable that is the likely culprit, or perhaps it is the component video transcoder? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Bakkus

Anyregionchanger is your friend then!

You can set the video output to PAL, this enables RGB.

Almost half a year later, I ended up finally doing this. Thank you for telling me about this!

Edit: Wait, I've changed it to PAL but there is no PAL60 there. My VC games have been 50hz-ified and are totally messed up. What gives?

I decided to try testing Mr. Bones, but I was I surprised to find that the whites look pink/magenta when going the RGB route vs. the composite video route. Does anyone have any recommendations? The component transcoder does not have any knobs for color balancing, and I believe I have seen some that do it. Just to be clear, the "white" image is composite video and the "pink" image is the RGB/SCART/component video image.
Yes it does. They're inside the unit.

Careful, they strip easily. I might have to replace mine 'cuz of that. It's at a point where it's mostly right, but there's just something subtly off about it, IMO... Might plug in my S-Video-modded Genesis and compare RGB out vs. composite or S-Vid out, sometime. Mega Everdrive + 240p Test Suite means I should have easy access to the SMPTE color bar test.

D.Lo

Almost half a year later, I ended up finally doing this. Thank you for telling me about this!

Edit: Wait, I've changed it to PAL but there is no PAL60 there. My VC games have been 50hz-ified and are totally messed up. What gives?
Now you need to set the Wii, via regular menus, to 60Hz. I think. It's been like a decade lol.

You think they'll ever develop a tv that well accept retro games and display them right with no lag. I am only asking this with the rising retro scene happening.

You think they'll ever develop a tv that well accept retro games and display them right with no lag. I am only asking this with the rising retro scene happening.

I think it's possible we'll get TVs that can take pretty much any signal over a modern cable (HDMI, Displayport, whatever) but I doubt we'll end up seeing new TVs with a billion connectors for old tech.

D.Lo

Doesn't appear to be any options for that. I've checked :/
Sorry I can't help any further, as my Wii is all packed up now as I've moved to Wii U.

Looks like you need to install the PAL menu as well to do that. This could be risky.

Hawk269

My bad-yes-its jp21 not scart. You'll need either a scart to jp21 or an EuroScart to mini din made for the xrgb mini.

Yeah-thanks for that. Done did the thing. ;-)

Youd think with as much time as I have put into my setup, that I wouldnt make such a dumb mistake. Apologies all around.

I am about to order my Framemeister and I need to ensure I am ordering the correct cable that takes my Scart Cable and allows it to connect to the framemeister, Someone provided this link for what I need. However on that site they offer a passive or powered one. If this is the correct cable, do I need the powered or passive one?

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...rgb-mini-converter-with-csync-lm1881-for-sale

Thanks in advance. I am a noob when it comes to the framemeister and want to ensure I am ordering the correct cables. Thanks again for all the assistance.

Quick update: Amazon has two Framemeister, which one is the best one to get? The is about a $30.00 difference, the cheaper one has a higher model number. Just want to get the latest/best one. Thanks!

StevieWhite

Cross posting from the retro thread, as I suppose it is tangentially related to upscalers as well. I used the overlay feature on the Framemeister to colorize an Odyssey 300.

Pretty fun stuff. Now to get that signal cleaned up.

I'm new to RGB, so I apologize if these questions get asked a lot. I'm trying to get RGB SCART for as many consoles as possible on my 480i PVM (20m4u).

1. Does the OG Xbox support CSYNC? Some googling has led me to believe it does not, but the Scart cables here (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...ional-cysnc-composite-plus-rca-sound-breakout) have an option to buy one with CSYNC. Does anyone know if this will work; or if I should stick with sync over composite?

2. I'm also trying to get RGB out of my Dreamcast, but my searches all seem to come up short. Anyone who uses Dreamcast over RGB, what is your setup?

Mega

Banned
Dreamcast RGB scart cables can be found on eBay. But I remember someone here telling me not all DC games support RGB. I guess that's why the Toro exists... to allow quick switching between RGB and VGA as the games or display demand it.

Maxpacker

Maybe someone here might have some recommendations?

This should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYN906grLsM

I had to adjust mine when I got it too. I turned knob 6 (color intensity or saturation) in the video all the way down. Theres also a knob that adjusts blue and green, the others dont seem to do anything.

Audio output mod: http://www.retro-otaku.com/2011/05/fitting-external-audio-jacks-to-a-rgb-to-component-transcoder/

I'm new to RGB, so I apologize if these questions get asked a lot. I'm trying to get RGB SCART for as many consoles as possible on my 480i PVM (20m4u).

1. Does the OG Xbox support CSYNC? Some googling has led me to believe it does not, but the Scart cables here (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...ional-cysnc-composite-plus-rca-sound-breakout) have an option to buy one with CSYNC. Does anyone know if this will work; or if I should stick with sync over composite?

2. I'm also trying to get RGB out of my Dreamcast, but my searches all seem to come up short. Anyone who uses Dreamcast over RGB, what is your setup?

I can't answer your first question because I don't know. In regards to your second one, there are official RGB Scart cables for the Dreamcast. However they only support 480i and not the DC's awesome 480p mode. There is a solution to this though. There is a VGA box from a Turkish company called The Toro, that supports both VGA and has RGB Scart coming out of it. The awesome thing with this, you can get 480p over scart with it!

It's not cheap it's like 70 - 80 dollars, plus you'll need a scart cable (one with scart plugs on both ends) which will probably run you another 10 - 20 bucks. Plus shipping takes a long time to get anywhere.

That said you can find it here http://www.beharbros.com/#!toro/cfom

That's definitely your best bet in getting RGB out of the Dreamcast.

I can't answer your first question because I don't know. In regards to your second one, there are official RGB Scart cables for the Dreamcast. However they only support 480i and not the DC's awesome 480p mode. There is a solution to this though. There is a VGA box from a Turkish company called The Toro, that supports both VGA and has RGB Scart coming out of it. The awesome thing with this, you can get 480p over scart with it!

It's not cheap it's like 70 - 80 dollars, plus you'll need a scart cable (one with scart plugs on both ends) which will probably run you another 10 - 20 bucks. Plus shipping takes a long time to get anywhere.

That said you can find it here http://www.beharbros.com/#!toro/cfom

That's definitely your best bet in getting RGB out of the Dreamcast.

Thanks, I suppose I'll just stick with S-Video for Dreamcast as I only have a handful of games for it. Would a VGA to Scart cable also work?

Peltz

Thanks, I suppose I'll just stick with S-Video for Dreamcast as I only have a handful of games for it. Would a VGA to Scart cable also work?
I've never seen one before and would hesitate before using one. Is there a link to a particular cable that you are referring to?

Yes it does. They're inside the unit.

Careful, they strip easily. I might have to replace mine 'cuz of that. It's at a point where it's mostly right, but there's just something subtly off about it, IMO... Might plug in my S-Video-modded Genesis and compare RGB out vs. composite or S-Vid out, sometime. Mega Everdrive + 240p Test Suite means I should have easy access to the SMPTE color bar test.

Okay, thanks for the info. I played with the settings a bit, and I finally got a respectable picture. Much better than composite video!

Just FYI lots of 3D games on Dreamcast look a lot better in 480p instead of 480i or 240p. Rayman 3D, Jet Set Radio, and F355 Challenge are good examples.

Of course the Capcom and SNK stuff look best in 240p. Stunning really.

Chinner

Banned
Update on the BVM..

Left it over night, and just tried again making sure everything was correctly plugged.. Here are the results

Looks great!

Not sure if it needed time to readjust from the all the travel last night or if a wire was loose, but it's fine now!

Quite happy for 20 quid.

Update on the BVM..

Left it over night, and just tried again making sure everything was correctly plugged.. Here are the results

Looks great!

Not sure if it needed time to readjust from the all the travel last night or if a wire was loose, but it's fine now!

Quite happy for 20 quid.

axel looks so beautiful w scan lines

Peagles

Update on the BVM..

Looks great!

Quite happy for 20 quid.

That does look great, well done!

Mega

Banned
The Chinner saga has ended!

hey guys, i'm looking at cables from ebay

which is the correct one for a USA snes 1st gen to connect to a sony BVM 20g1u usa?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...D-cable-/201284360714?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
[/url]

The csync cable is best but any of those will work. Most SNESes have blurry RGB so the biggest factor for picture quality would be finding a 1Chip or getting a modded Mini.

What's your setup? One console plugged in at a time to the BNC-RCA breakout adapter?

TeaJay

I was wondering if I could do game capture / live streaming via S-Video? My Joytech switchbox has S-Video output (I use RGB Scart currently) and my PVM also has s-video connection. But if I could use S-Video, I could hook up the Elgato device, unlike when using scart. I guess then it would be just a matter of splitting the signal from my switchbox to the PVM and the Elgato with an S-Video splitter?

Would this setup work for live streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom