• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtyle

indeed. SCART maxes out at 480i

technically, it CAN handle higher resolutions, but nothing has ever supported that via SCART. If you want 480p, you have to go with component, unless your set or scaler can deal with an interlaced image.

ok, is there anyway to get good component signals then? I have read it's a bit noise or have red shift by default.

this page here, http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33450&start=2640

ZellSF asks, "How does RGB and 480p PS2 titles get along? Half the PS2 titles I play are at 480p."

Thomago answers, "It doesn't."

Fudoh mentions,
" It sure does (kinda). When your PS2 is set to RGB, 480p titles are output in RGsB format. Similar to Dreamcast titles in 480p RGBHV you can run this through a sync processor to get 480p RGBs, which the XRGB-Mini can understand."

Rich!

ok, is there anyway to get good component signals then? I have read it's a bit noise or have red shift by default.

theoretically, if I remember correctly, you actually have a better connection and higher bandwith via component than SCART. As long as you have decent (like, not cheap shit) cables, it'll be absolutely fine.

it also depends on the console's output too (for example, the Wii has terrible component output, but gives a brilliant RGB SCART signal)

but yeah, the colour space is slightly different to RGB SCART due to the nature of the cable, but not by much. I may be wrong on this.

Xtyle

I am going to look into this method that Fudoh posted here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=873509

Quote:
Here's how to get the best PS2 image quality without losing any compatibility and make it all hassle free

here you go:

Quote:
Step 1 - Buy this

PS1/2/3 RGB cable - good brand besides the original is Snakebyte
Arcadeforge Sync Strike - to get clean sync when using a 15khz signal.
Extron RGB Interface to convert RGsB in 31khz mode to RGBs for the Mini, e.g. a 190 xi.

Quote:
Step 2 - Connect it here

PS2 > (RGB) > Sync Strike > (VGA cable) > Extron interface > (VGA to MiniDin cable) > XRGB Mini

Quote:
Step 4 - Set your PS2 to this mode

set the PS2 to RGB. This will output RGBs in 15khz mode and RGsB (Sync on Green) in 31khz modes.

Peagles

haha wasn't expecting this kind of response. either way, I've got this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1078701.htm - no shipping with that, as I can just pick it up from the store. I would be against ordering the one from amazon, as it includes extra shipping costs.

Shipping to the USA would be £6 (including packaging). I'd test each one via a Framemeister to ensure it all works well. Bear in mind, you may need a cable like this if you're using a scart multiplug:

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...ni-adapter--euroscart-with-sync-stripper.html

So all in all, it'd be like....$30. I don't know if that's worth it. I have no idea what the costs are for equivalent items from in the USA or via a store with overseas shipping.

It's funny how living in another country we can take for granted stuff we have access to. Even though we are PAL here I've never owned a TV that'll take SCART til I got my PVM (and even then it's BNC to SCART).

Those sellers want upwards of £20 to ship to me from Amazon, madness!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
theoretically, if I remember correctly, you actually have a better connection and higher bandwith via component than SCART. As long as you have decent (like, not cheap shit) cables, it'll be absolutely fine.

it also depends on the console's output too (for example, the Wii has terrible component output, but gives a brilliant RGB SCART signal)

but yeah, the colour space is slightly different to RGB SCART due to the nature of the cable, but not by much. I may be wrong on this.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

Hold up, son.

Wii is better via SCART? Does it still support 480p?

Because if I can get a better signal outta that thing... holy shit.

Yes Boss!

It's funny how living in another country we can take for granted stuff we have access to. Even though we are PAL here I've never owned a TV that'll take SCART til I got my PVM (and even then it's BNC to SCART).

It is funny, my first and only experience with SCART was when I was living in france about 10-15 years ago. Even then, it was just for the cable system. My DC was hooked up with composite yellow RCA.

As a child in Saudi Arabia we had what I'm guessing is SECAM. Though our Beta player and TV were also clearly PAL as a lot of our videos came from the UK. Our US Atari did work on it...maybe my dad did something with unit to get it working.

Randomizer

Hold up, son.

Lol he just answered that a few posts up. No SCART only supports up to 480i. It's really good for 240p games on the Wii.

Never knew old games could look so good until I saw this thread. Up until PS2 I played all my games through RF then it was shitty composite. All the while I live in the UK with full RGB SCART support. Why wasn't this widespread information at the time?

Yes Boss!

Lol he just answered that a few posts up. No SCART only supports up to 480i. It's really good for 240p games on the Wii.

It would be near impossible to improve the 240p output of Wii using component. My best looking system by a long shot.

I'd be curious if SCART actually improves it that resolution. I'm guessing not worth it/hassle.

Rich!

Hold up, son.

Indeed.....however, not if your Wii is running the USA firmware. If so, it cannot output RGB via SCART. The UK firmware can. So either you need a UK Wii, or you're prepared to switch the region via homebrew which renders all of your NTSC VC games unplayable (homebrew and retail games are unaffected).

Yes Boss!

Indeed.....however, not if your Wii is running the USA firmware. If so, it cannot output RGB via SCART. The UK firmware can. So either you need a UK Wii, or you're prepared to switch the region via homebrew which renders all of your NTSC VC games unplayable (homebrew and retail games are unaffected).

Ah, I see.

I've got a bunch of Wiis but none I'm willing to switch to UK firmware. Good info, though!

Rich!

Ah, I see.

I've got a bunch of Wiis but none I'm willing to switch to UK firmware. Good info, though!

Its not really a big deal, unless you're using retroarch for SNES titles. Via SCART you can set the output to exactly 512x224. At this point, the output via RGB is exactly the same as a SNES. Like, pixel perfect - even more so than Nintendo's own VC titles.

In fact, all of the SNES shots I've taken via my CRT in this and other threads were taken this way.

Xtyle

anyone tried Wii component? How does it compare to the Gamecube's component? Since I have a U.S NTSC Wii, I am pretty much limited to S-video or component. If it is noticeably worse than Gamecube's I will have to look for a component for my GC down the road.

anyone tried Wii component? How does it compare to the Gamecube's component? Since I have a U.S NTSC Wii, I am pretty much limited to S-video or component. If it is noticeably worse than Gamecube's I will have to look for a component for my GC down the road.

I used to own a GC Component and decided to sell it when I realized that the WIi component cables were cheap, my GC cable went for $89 on ebay, I was fucking stoked.

Until someone made a thread on GAF showing the difference in quality and then I proceeded to weep, the GC signal is incredibly clean compared to the Wii, if you can afford it, get a GC Component.

-----------------------------------------------

I have a question regarding upscalers.

I have an nVidia Shield which has HDMI output, and I also have Snes 9x EX+, which allows me to play SNES games at 1:1 scaling and also add scanlines with different opacities and other overlays, how does this compare against playing SNES games on an SNES console with RGB, is it night and day, or similar?

Peagles

So after all that SCART switch talk I found on locally and won the auction for $20 NZD shipped!

I managed to find some good reviews for it, it's a powered Joytech switch that has SCART, S-video, composite, and optical audio (apparently it's easy to get component to work with it too). It's got space for 4 SCART inputs but you can also plug multiple things into one input apparently (so you could have 12 things set up if you want, 3 SCART, 3 S-video and 3 component, crazy). Can't wait til it arrives I'll do some testing and put up some pics!

TnK

for real? where are you located, if you don't mind my asking? i'd be in no hurry, but i + a friend might be down for one, depending on price

lemme give my own answer since no one asked:

- CRT + RGB offers no lag, best visuals, just smaller screen size

- good HDTV (see: plasma) + XRGB offers fantastic visuals plus options for tweaking (great if you're a PC fan who digs that) with much bigger screen options, but up to 1.5 frame lag on the unit (negligible for me/most but if you're running say a fighter tourney a serious consideration) plus whatever the set introduces (other downside: no light gun games, IR shit like say power glove etc)

- emulation is never 100% but you can get bonuses like cleaner graphics (if that's your thing), likewise options and even savestates

TL;DR not to bring phenomenology into this too much but literally everything you do in life regardless of how you feel about it is done via approximation; like every other decision you make, you decide what's best for you & find happiness in it or doom yourself to an imperfect life of complaining on the internet
This I agree with all the way. Currently in love with my CRT setup, and everything runs (no input lag) and looks like a charm. I learned something new these past days though. If you want to game on HDTVs with old consoles, you have the option of it not looking like crap, lol.

Also, HDTVs are currently slowly eliminating input lag, well at least Sony is. My friend bought a 55 inch LED TV that has 1 frame of input lag only. Really good stuff for fighting games and games that require fast reactions.

Yes Boss!

Uhh.... doesn't hooking a European SCART cable up to the XRGB fry the thing's RGB port?

Not on the Mini/Framemeister. You can plug and mis-plug and it will not harm it. That is only on the older models like the XRGB-3.

Also, a simple $15 adapter that switches from J-21 to SCART is out there...letting everybody use the easily available SCART cables.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not on the Mini/Framemeister. You can plug and mis-plug and it will not harm it. That is only on the older models like the XRGB-3.

Also, a simple $15 adapter that switches from J-21 to SCART is out there...letting everybody use the easily available SCART cables.

Craziness. I guess a lot's happened since I last paid much attention to this stuff.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I was planning to finally bust out the XRGB3 tomorrow but I guess Irish and I kind of felt like spontaneously one-upping each other in the other thread, heh.

I mostly intend to use this thing on my larger flatscreen monitors, but I just had to do the trial run on my old VGA CRT that I've been keeping around for precisely this sort of occasion.

xrgb3genesis1.jpg
xrgb3genesis2.jpg

It's beautiful.

Xtyle

Yup I have a Europe Scart Adapter ordered from retrogamingcables uk. It was shipped out on the 6th and I am still waiting for it...hopefully it isn't lost somewhere.

The issue with Saturn and Scart is, from what I read, that the U.S Saturn's voltage output to the scart is on a different pin (not to pin 8) so when connected to the Europe Scart, this causes issue. Details here http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4236.0

I am pretty new to these things so if anyone can clear it up for me it's greatly appreciated:)

Rich!

xrgb mini not arrived yet

sad panda :(

hopefully it turns up tomorrow. hilarious how it only takes a day and a half to get from Japan to the UK, and now the royal mail are taking almost three times as long

Beckx

Yup I have a Europe Scart Adapter ordered from retrogamingcables uk. It was shipped out on the 6th and I am still waiting for it...hopefully it isn't lost somewhere.

The issue with Saturn and Scart is, from what I read, that the U.S Saturn's voltage output to the scart is on a different pin (not to pin 8) so when connected to the Europe Scart, this causes issue. Details here http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4236.0

I am pretty new to these things so if anyone can clear it up for me it's greatly appreciated:)

Like I said, the SegaStyle made RGB Saturn cable works fine to get RGB out with US Saturn. See my posts about it a few pages ago for all the details.

Xtyle

hopefully it turns up tomorrow. hilarious how it only takes a day and a half to get from Japan to the UK, and now the royal mail are taking almost three times as long

Mine took about a month to get to the U.S from Japan. It is all worth it though even though I have only tried PS2 and PS1 games.

Rich!

Mine took about a month to get to the U.S from Japan. It is all worth it though even though I have only tried PS2 and PS1 games.

God, I hope it doesnt take a month for me. It arrived in the UK two days ago!

I'm hoping it cleared customs quickly and will be with me tomorrow

Xtyle

Here's my original post about it.

I did order the same Europe SCART to Framemeister Adapter (just still waiting for it). I have a Saturn Europe SCART in my hand already. This all seems good, execpt that I read the U.S Saturn system physically does not work well outputting RGB through Europe SCART (from what I read, it is not that it is impossible, but it would be missing a 5V pin that could cause abnormality in the display).

I would buy a NTSC Saturn SCART and I should be good, execpt that there isn't one available atm anywhere I look. I would be happy to take the SegaStyle cable when they are available though. Seems like it's working for you:)

Beckx

I did order the same Europe SCART to Framemeister Adapter (just still waiting for it). I have a Saturn Europe SCART in my hand already. This all seems good, execpt that I read the U.S Saturn system physically does not work well outputting RGB through Europe SCART (from what I read, it is not that it is impossible, but it would be missing a 5V pin that could cause abnormality in the display).

I would buy a NTSC Saturn SCART and I should be good, execpt that there isn't one available atm anywhere I look.

It's not the 5V itself I think, but the fact that sync and 5V are switched around and so you get the classic Saturn with missing sync image (see retroRGB.com).

It's a problem, unfortunately SegaStyle seems to be the only source of cables that actually work with US Saturn.

baphomet

It's not the 5V itself I think, but the fact that sync and 5V are switched around and so you get the classic Saturn with missing sync image (see retroRGB.com).

It's a problem, unfortunately SegaStyle seems to be the only source of cables that actually work with US Saturn.

Theres a few others. Mine is from www.consolegoods.co.uk and it works perfectly with my us saturn. Ive also seen retro_console_accessories with them in the past.

Xtyle

Theres a few others. Mine is from www.consolegoods.co.uk and it works perfectly with my us saturn. Ive also seen retro_console_accessories with them in the past.

Damn I am going to order from consolegoods if they still have them. Been waiting for my SCART Adapter from retrogamingcables for so long that I am tempted to just order a different one somewhere else. does anyone know a good place for it?
I am looking at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/161194541007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edit, looks like my Saturn Scart is from Consolegoods so all I need is the adapter now.

IrishNinja

I was planning to finally bust out the XRGB3 tomorrow but I guess Irish and I kind of felt like spontaneously one-upping each other in the other thread, heh.

haha...#TeamCRT gets too cocky sometimes, us blind motherfuckers gotta let em know
#MyWallisaTV #bigTymers

a day and a half...? goddamn i'm mad cheap on shipping, i swear like a month went by waiting for mine here stateside, heh

plc268

Did you use the switch in vertical position? I tried that at first and I was constantly having connection problems because the cables did not hold well enough. Never got any problems in horizontal position, and it's currently filled up.

No idea about cables with built-in sync cleaners, I don't own any. Maybe it's due to both the activity LED and LM1881 tapping power from the same line and not playing well with each other.

Mine's horizontal. I also read the same thing about the LED, and I did some experiments with disconnecting the LED, and it had no effect on my issues.

baphomet

lookin good!

I mostly intend to use this thing on my larger flatscreen monitors, but I just had to do the trial run on my old VGA CRT that I've been keeping around for precisely this sort of occasion.

It's beautiful.

Rich!

haha...#TeamCRT gets too cocky sometimes, us blind motherfuckers gotta let em know
#MyWallisaTV #bigTymers

a day and a half...? goddamn i'm mad cheap on shipping, i swear like a month went by waiting for mine here stateside, heh

Heh well I was exaggerating a bit - I ordered it on 27/01/14, it left Tokyo at 9pm on 28/01/14, and it arrived at London Heathrow at 7am on 30/01/14. Thats a bit more than a day and a half but still. I only paid for basic airmail too (£10 or so)

I just want it noooow. Anyway, if it passed through customs on 30/01/14 (here's hoping), then it will definitely be with me today as two days from London to my location on the coast is standard for airmail like this.

Anyone found any nice alternatives to having to buy a GC component cable? Mainly want to play gameboy player games so I have been thinking about using the Framemeister to do that. Trying to not have to mod a GBA for RGB output at all.

Rich!

Anyone found any nice alternatives to having to buy a GC component cable? Mainly want to play gameboy player games so I have been thinking about using the Framemeister to do that. Trying to not have to mod a GBA for RGB output at all.

RGB SCART on a GameCube is lovely via a CRT or framemeister.

Peagles

Hmmm sounds like I will have to give that a try. Does it have a positive or negative effect on gamecube games that output 420i/p at all?

Ahhhh nvm apparently US Gamecubes cannot use SCART at all. Ugh.

1.Buy a PAL GameCube.
2. Add a Xeno GC mod chip.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Peagles

funny thing is, wouldn't that cost as much if not more than a component cable?

edit: oh wow, they're dirt cheap. yeah, this option is good

Consoles here (particularly if it's without games, controllers, cables) frequently sell for around $20 NZD. The total with international shipping costs the same as it does (did?) for us to buy the component cables from Nintendo Australia, but heaps cheaper than it costs to buy those cables anywhere else.

Peagles

Only downside is it won't do 480p. Depending on what display you're using though you might not be able to do progressive anyway though.

Only downside is it won't do 480p. Depending on what display you're using though you might not be able to do progressive anyway though.

The other side to that is the list of 420p games isn't that large if I remember correctly. Always tradeoffs. haha

Edit: According to wikipedia the games that output in 420p is rather large.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Christ, now that I've dug this VGA CRT out of storage I don't want to put it away, haha. I'm playing through Skies of Arcadia and find myself periodically stopping and looking around for no other reason than to take in the scenery.

I suppose the last item on my agenda for the foreseeable future is finally nabbing an RGB NES. Ideally, I'd want to pick up a top loader and have it modded with the NESRGB board and an SNES/N64 style A/V port so that I could reuse my SNES/N64 video cables (RGB, s-video, or composite) on the NES. I could probably make due with a front loader if I had to, though. Anyone know of a modder who would be willing to take up this job? I can donate a beat-up but working N64 console for the A/V port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom