• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a framemeister from Solaris and cables from RGC.

now-we-play-the-waiting-game.jpg

Rich!

Shit, try to get a GDEMU or Saturn equivalent. I'm trying to figure out how many years I'll wait. If I'm lucky.

I looked into that for the saturn

...I got a modchip for £17 instead. I'm good - as nice as rhea would be.

wouldn't live up to the rhia I used to bang back in school anyway

I got mine while the Yen plunged and right before they jacked up the price on Framemeister to compensate. Glad I'm not you guys. :p

Christ, they're pushing close to $500 CAD with shipping now.

I was lucky to buy in a similar period as you. After the CAD hit the shitter but the Yen was in a similar place so the conversion was fairly close to $1=100yen, and the MSRP hadn't increased yet. Plus got it in Japan so I got the local price, didn't pay for shipping, and didn't pay any customs fees, so it came out close to $300CAD in the end.

Rich!

What I find hilarious is that one recently sold preowned on ebay for £350

why. It's £310 tax free via solaris brand new with a EUR scart adapter bundled in and free shipping

Welcome to the club! Though if you're in the US, your framemeister will be here long before your cables.

Japanese shipping is on point, UK not so much.

retro gaming cables always deliver to me within a day. but yeah, I'm in the UK - it's customs you have to blame

Shit, try to get a GDEMU or Saturn equivalent. I'm trying to figure out how many years I'll wait. If I'm lucky.

That is the frustrating thing with some of this stuff to keep retro system going. The homebrew stuff is produced in quantities that come nowhere close to meeting demand. If you're not at the computer checking a site at the right minute on the right day, have fun waiting a year or two.

retro gaming cables always deliver to me within a day. but yeah, I'm in the UK - it's customs you have to blame

It must be customs on the UK side. Because everything I order from Japan gets here in NO TIME. I shit you not when I order my framemeister I did it on a Monday morning, by Wednesday afternoon my Framemeister was in my hands. Same with stuff I've ordered from Japan on ebay, or figures or any of that stuff. The few things I've ordered from the UK seem to spend 10 days at least in the UK before making their way across the pond.

Peltz

I'm looking to converts RGBs to S-video. Would this be a good option? http://www.ambery.com/rgrgtotvcosc.html

RGBS-CV-InOut.gif

Any other converters that do the trick? Added lag should be minimal, right?

For anyone wondering why I would do this... I have most of my consoles feeding RGB into my matrix switch and outputting RGB to various monitors. I wanna hook up my wonderful little S-video monitor to the fourth video output so that it can be utilized by more than just the N64. The converter would go between the switch's BNC output connectors and the monitor's S-video connector. Some games look better on this little monitor than on the sharp and scanline-heavy Sony and JVC pro CRTs, so there are practical reasons for doing this too.

Maybe I also wanna play occasionally with a clean Composite signal for nostalgia. It would be neat to see how superior the Composite signal generated by one of these modern converters will be than the Genesis' hideous native Composite output.
Goddam Mega. Can I come over and see your setup someday? Sounds fucking glorious every time you talk about it and post pics.

Seeing all those different monitors together in the same spot with their different types of scan lines must be an amazing experience.

Rich!

That is the frustrating thing with some of this stuff to keep retro system going. The homebrew stuff is produced in quantities that come nowhere close to meeting demand. If you're not at the computer checking a site at the right minute on the right day, have fun waiting a year or two.

It must be customs on the UK side. Because everything I order from Japan gets here in NO TIME. I shit you not when I order my framemeister I did it on a Monday morning, by Wednesday afternoon my Framemeister was in my hands. Same with stuff I've ordered from Japan on ebay, or figures or any of that stuff. The few things I've ordered from the UK seem to spend 10 days at least in the UK before making their way across the pond.

yep

our customs are shit

My first cabinet will use a complete monitor with its original case as taking it out is going to be a bitch and half. I'll decase the TV for the second cab and mount it like this one:

That project is legit as hell, by the way. You can check it out here.
Thanks, I was recommended that site last weekend at Too Many Games as well. I'll see what I can find on there.

KC-Slater

The combination of godlike Bang & Olufsen CRT goodness with that dynamic LCD marquee is giving me a bad case of the nnnghs.

Look at it. LOOK AT IT.

I feel so pitiful and inadequate.

This looks great, but I'm partial to candy cabs. I have a Naomi Universal, but if I ever part with it, I'm going for one of these lil' guys

mgs_003__bartop_arcade_cab__by_tonberryhunter-d8e3ht9.jpg

MGS bartop with a Naomi & NetDimm-combo.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This looks great, but I'm partial to candy cabs. I have a Naomi Universal, but if I ever part with it, I'm going for one of these lil' guys

mgs_003__bartop_arcade_cab__by_tonberryhunter-d8e3ht9.jpg

MGS bartop with a Naomi & NetDimm-combo.

I've seen that dude's work.

He's insane.

Also, I cannot imagine the kind of cash he's asking for his crazy ass bartops.

Edit: $800 for the barebones bartop kit. Damn.

Mega

Banned
Goddam Mega. Can I come over and see your setup someday? Sounds fucking glorious every time you talk about it and post pics.

Seeing all those different monitors together in the same spot with their different types of scan lines must be an amazing experience.

If I had a proper game room or gaming space, I might invite people over, but my setup isn't really appropriate for accommodating guests since it's in a tight spot in our bedroom. I literally play at arm's length, sitting on the side edge of my bed. I wanted to do this properly in my living room but I also have no space there at all.

The presentation is also very bare bones... all my stuff cramped on a few metal shelves, organized as well as possible but still cluttered-looking. I'm not proud of it and it's pretty boring and unattractive compared to the stuff people post around here. Wish I had the room to pull off what some Gaffers do in their game room setups: sleek entertainment unit, monitors in a row on the top, consoles each in their own little cubicle, RGB cables and PSU cables neatly organized and hidden away, controllers and peripherals properly stored away, etc. Some day... when I get a bigger space with multiple rooms!

Peagles

So I happened upon a local listing for a 19" JVC, TM-H1950CG to be precise, with the extra input card. And now... somehow... I'm picking it up next week :p

I think it can replace the old Sony 20", since it's super old and needs adjusting.

Balb

Looking to get a consumer level Sony Trinitron to go along with my BVM, purely for size reasons (somewhere between 27-34 inches). Are there any specific models I should be looking out for? Primarily interested in using component and composite, though S-Video would be a bonus.

YAY! Congrats on your Framemeister coming in. Get a small microSD card for it, and download some profiles. I know a lot of people are going to push you to FirebrandX's profiles, BUT may I also suggest Implant Games' profiles. (he has a youtube channel, where he shares his profiles)

Oh also when you load a profile use load and not load_select load_select won't load the Zoom settings.

Some links for you incase you don't have them yet

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

Even if you decide to just go with FirebrandX's profiles check out Implant's channel, his how to XRGB Mini series really explains a lot of the features and how to use the framemeister

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4ngkmg51Bea36_jKwc8cjf7fCVunV6MR

Another also make sure to get the latest firmware

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm

This way you get the english menu and the latest firmware.

To update the firmware on the framemeister, put the contents of the zip file (unzipped obviously) onto the sd card, have the framemeister unplugged, plug it in with the SD card now in it, and I think you need to power it on (you might not have to) basically you'll see the 4 lights cycling on the front which means it's updating. Once it stops and the single light is on, it's all done updating.

Rich!

I think with the use of my mega drive, I've realised just how incredible my JVC broadcast montior is. Especially for the cheap ass price I paid for it. Fuck the scratch on it, it's awesome. I'll keep it forever.

MfSfhE2l.jpg

13584037_557844931070nvuix.jpg

its so pretty

Looking to get a consumer level Sony Trinitron to go along with my BVM, purely for size reasons (somewhere between 27-34 inches). Are there any specific models I should be looking out for? Primarily interested in using component and composite, though S-Video would be a bonus.

I think the model number of my 27-inch consumer Trinitron is Sony KV-27FS120. Composite (x3), S-Video (x1), and Component (x1). If you'd like bigger there is a 32-inch model KV-32FS120 and I think it has an additional Component input as well.

Khaz

I have a 29 inches Trinitron and it's massive already, I'm not sure I'd want even bigger.
Of course I would, I'm a size queen.

Rich!

I have a 29 inches Trinitron and it's massive already, I'm not sure I'd want even bigger.
Of course I would, I'm a size queen.

I had a 28" Sony Trinitron with RGB scart input that I got on gumtree for free a few years back. It was too big, and the geometry was wack

I guess I could have maybe fixed it if I spent a month in the service menu, but ive definitely found over the years, the bigger the CRT, the harder it will be to get perfect geometry

BTails

My issues with FBX's profiles is that they're all geared for 1080p. This is awesome if you don't want Scanlines, but if you do, 720p is a much better option as the scanlines are more even.

I was looking into getting a Trinitron but the weight and power consumption turned me away. Hence my purchase earlier this week. The TV I bought was only 21lbs.

So I ordered a good set of S-Video cables for my SNES yesterday and I just learned of the HD Retrovision cables today. Is the difference between S-Video and RGB on an SNES significant?

So I ordered a good set of S-Video cables for my SNES yesterday and I just learned of the HD Retrovision cables today. Is the difference between S-Video and RGB on an SNES significant?

On a digital HDTV, this is going to depend a lot on the set's circuitry. You really have to test to see if there is a large difference.

New002

So what's a solid and affordable scart switch? Googling lead me to the Hama 100s but it seems to be discontinued maybe?

Peagles

I think with the use of my mega drive, I've realised just how incredible my JVC broadcast montior is. Especially for the cheap ass price I paid for it. Fuck the scratch on it, it's awesome. I'll keep it forever.

MfSfhE2l.jpg

13584037_557844931070nvuix.jpg

its so pretty

What are the specs on this Rich? You're making me even more excited about picking mine up in a couple of days!

New002

I used this one and it worked fine. There are reports that it causes signal degradation, but I couldn't see it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/322058355858?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I use the Bandridge auto-selector now. You can get them for pretty cheap if you keep a lookout.

EDIT: Actually, disregard. I had the Hama 100S, and this just looks like a knockoff. My bad.

Thanks so much!

Balb

I think the model number of my 27-inch consumer Trinitron is Sony KV-27FS120. Composite (x3), S-Video (x1), and Component (x1). If you'd like bigger there is a 32-inch model KV-32FS120 and I think it has an additional Component input as well.

Thanks, I'll look out for this model.

My previous CRT breaking has shown me how much of a pain it is to get rid of/purchase bigger CRTs. It'll only get worse and more frequent going forward. Guess I should look into getting a Framemeister eventually.

Rich!

What are the specs on this Rich? You're making me even more excited about picking mine up in a couple of days!

It's 750 lines, rgb and component input via BNC, pretty much all SD resolutions supported including progressive and interlaced signals for each one

It looks like the JVC you've gone for is a biiiig step up. I was going to get one on eBay to go with this before the asshat seller jacked the price up from £150 to £750.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom