• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I used this one and it worked fine. There are reports that it causes signal degradation, but I couldn't see it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/322058355858?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I use the Bandridge auto-selector now. You can get them for pretty cheap if you keep a lookout.

EDIT: Actually, disregard. I had the Hama 100S, and this just looks like a knockoff. My bad.

Was just wondering this myself as I am about to go from 1 to multiple RGB enabled systems. So is the only difference here that you don't have to actually push a selector button on the auto? A few bucks more for laziness?

The Gscart is probably the best one out there, not exactly cheap, but oh so sweet: http://retrorgb.com/gscartsw.html

Did a quick and dirty play through with the menus with the xrgb and the SNES through composite. I can't wait to see RGB on this thing, it looks great already.

Edit: So I have a scart cable for my genesis and the xrgb came with an rgb adapter. Any reason why this cable wouldn't work with it? I just get a no input signal.

Morfeo

Did a quick and dirty play through with the menus with the xrgb and the SNES through composite. I can't wait to see RGB on this thing, it looks great already.

Edit: So I have a scart cable for my genesis and the xrgb came with an rgb adapter. Any reason why this cable wouldn't work with it? I just get a no input signal.

Those cables look alike, but they are not the same. The rgb adapter that came with the xrgb is wired in the japanese standard, jp21. Dont use them togheter!

Grief.exe

JP21 looks the same, but the information travels on different wires than the Scart.

Rich!

Jesus fuck don't use that adapter with a scart cable. It's for JP21, not EUR scart

Voltage runs on a different pin on JP21. You will destroy the xrgb minis rgb input if you use that adapter with a European scart cable. You need a European scart to xrgb adapter, sold separately. From the xrgb wiki:

Important : about the supplied RGB-IN adapter

The mini uses a custom 8-pin mini-DIN connector for RGB input. Most users will want to connect either SCART or RGB21 style cables via an adapter. The Mini ships with a Mini-DIN to RGB21 adapter. Never directly use the European standard SCART cables with the RGB IN adapter that comes bundled with the Mini. Standard SCART is wired differently to the Japanese only RGB21 standard and regular SCART cables will not work with it.

You need to cross your fingers and hope you haven't killed it now. Sorry man

televator

Oh shit. Someone should have told you not to do that before. lol We also should have mentioned that you absolutely need to get a SCRAT to JP21 adapter.

Without the adapter, you can murder your FM by plugging Euro SCART into the XRGB's JP21 to mini din cable. I feel a bit responsible... :(

Morfeo

Oh shit. Someone should have told you not to do that before. lol We also should have mentioned that you absolutely need to get a SCRAT to JP21 adapter.

Without the adapter, you can murder your FM by plugging Euro SCART into the XRGB's JP21 to mini din cable. I feel a bit responsible... :(

We did say this though, didnt we?

Rich!

I hope it's alright. But yeah, you need to expect the worst. Especially if it's a cheaper scart cable you used, it's probably killed it.

It's a lot of money to lose due to a silly mistake.

I have two hama switches. They work fine linked together, and are only £12 with free shipping on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PTQICU/

They also have phono out. Which is nice.

That could do it for me. But I'd have to drop one planned RGB signal. I'm thinking s-video is good enough for PS2. Anyone have experience there? The MLIG guys say RGB is slightly better but some dithering and other typical effects look almost too sharp. SNES looks GREAT on my BVM via s-vid right now.

This would definitely save me some money.

Mega

Banned
K5izKVyl.jpg

Have to drop the top-left Ikegami (dying) and bottom-right little PVM (burn-in) at the recycling place. I have a second 17"JVC (dark screen) out in the hall.

Rich!

Gahhhh

The xrgb just went up by £30 on Solaris literally within a day. Hoping it doesn't go up any more before I place an order at the end of the month

I wouldn't freak out just yet. I know some folks who have done similar and not killed their framemeister. Fingers crossed for you.

Have you tested other inputs since you did that?

Just composite and s-video and everything worked fine. I was looking around the net to see if anyone else did the same with damaging results & couldn't find anything.

Grief.exe

I wouldn't freak out just yet. I know some folks who have done similar and not killed their framemeister. Fingers crossed for you.

Have you tested other inputs since you did that?

It's possible they grounded that particular pin in later revisions so it doesn't short the board.

Peagles

It's 750 lines, rgb and component input via BNC, pretty much all SD resolutions supported including progressive and interlaced signals for each one

It looks like the JVC you've gone for is a biiiig step up. I was going to get one on eBay to go with this before the asshat seller jacked the price up from £150 to £750.

I'm not sure about it being a big step up. Apparently it's also 750 lines. If it looks half as good as yours I'll be stoked!

Edit: Holy crap Khaz that 63MB gif only just loaded for me after popping in and out of this thread all day.

I am looking for recommendations on a component video switcher. Here are the devices I need to support:

Gamecube
PS2
Xbox
SNES (HD Retrovision cable)
Genesis (HD Retrovision cable)
Sega Saturn (using an SCART-to-component convertor)
Dreamcast (converting VGA to component)

I am willing to pay a pretty penny if the product is right.

Does anyone have advice? It would be much appreciated.

Khaz

I am looking for recommendations on a component video switcher. Here are the devices I need to support:

I'm using this Component switch http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WS5I7U/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It's cool because it's an automatic switch, which means you don't need to have another remote or press a button to select the input, it switches to it automatically.

41Lmq-zjK9L._SY450_.jpg

Don't get it from Amazon though, you can find it for like half price on ebay.

I would suggest to keep the RGB consoles in RGB and use a Scart switch, and use its output on your Component converter box. That way you can add more consoles with Scart without a problem and don't waste two slots for the HD Retrovision cables. Also, Scart switches can also be used as Composite and S-Video switches, if you are still using these connections.

This needs confirmation, but I believe the Toro can get 480p out of its Scart connector. If your Scart switch box is cool with it, you can use the Dreamcast that way. iirc the non-480p Dreamcast games don't display through the VGA cable, so you'd have to have another cable configuration for those, but not with the Toro.

YAY! Congrats on your Framemeister coming in. Get a small microSD card for it, and download some profiles. I know a lot of people are going to push you to FirebrandX's profiles, BUT may I also suggest Implant Games' profiles. (he has a youtube channel, where he shares his profiles)

Oh also when you load a profile use load and not load_select load_select won't load the Zoom settings.

Some links for you incase you don't have them yet

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

Even if you decide to just go with FirebrandX's profiles check out Implant's channel, his how to XRGB Mini series really explains a lot of the features and how to use the framemeister

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4ngkmg51Bea36_jKwc8cjf7fCVunV6MR

Another also make sure to get the latest firmware

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm

This way you get the english menu and the latest firmware.

To update the firmware on the framemeister, put the contents of the zip file (unzipped obviously) onto the sd card, have the framemeister unplugged, plug it in with the SD card now in it, and I think you need to power it on (you might not have to) basically you'll see the 4 lights cycling on the front which means it's updating. Once it stops and the single light is on, it's all done updating.

I know this post wasnt directed towards me but I really appreciate it. I have had my framemeister since March unopened. Was planning to get all the cables i needed before setting up. This was also something I wondered about too; SD card and how to update.

I would suggest to keep the RGB consoles in RGB and use a Scart switch, and use its output on your Component converter box. That way you can add more consoles with Scart without a problem and don't waste two slots for the HD Retrovision cables. Also, Scart switches can also be used as Composite and S-Video switches, if you are still using these connections.

This needs confirmation, but I believe the Toro can get 480p out of its Scart connector. If your Scart switch box is cool with it, you can use the Dreamcast that way. iirc the non-480p Dreamcast games don't display through the VGA cable, so you'd have to have another cable configuration for those, but not with the Toro.

Would that component switch be good if I wanted to hook up my PlayStation 2 through component and GC, N64, and SNES through S-Video to one port?

Khaz

Would that component switch be good if I wanted to hook up my PlayStation 2 through component and GC, N64, and SNES through S-Video to one port?

As long as you are not using the sources simultaneously, I don't see why not. It being a switch allows to, well, switch between different live inputs to compare them or if you need both to be on for some reason. You can't do that with two sources connected to the same input.

You only have one audio source per input though, so you need to deal with audio with an external mixer.

Just composite and s-video and everything worked fine. I was looking around the net to see if anyone else did the same with damaging results & couldn't find anything.

If your other inputs are working, I feel like there's a solid chance you didn't screw anything up.

Did you order a SCART to XRGB adaptor with your cables?

It's possible they grounded that particular pin in later revisions so it doesn't short the board.

Or that the cable he has didn't include the wire that would have the 12v going on it. SCART includes a lot of things on the pin outs, and not all of them are always wired up in these custom made cables.

So there is a possibility he's alright.

storafötter;209536522 said:
I know this post wasnt directed towards me but I really appreciate it. I have had my framemeister since March unopened. Was planning to get all the cables i needed before setting up. This was also something I wondered about too; SD card and how to update.

Glad to help, this info gets lost after a few pages and I think it's really handy for new framemeister users.

Also check out my life in gaming's channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpvtp7mH0Cdq8FQUxcjDq0Q

they have some great info on the framemeister and RGB in general.

If your other inputs are working, I feel like there's a solid chance you didn't screw anything up.

Did you order a SCART to XRGB adaptor with your cables?

Or that the cable he has didn't include the wire that would have the 12v going on it. SCART includes a lot of things on the pin outs, and not all of them are always wired up in these custom made cables.

So there is a possibility he's alright.

Is there a way I could tell if I open up the cable? I found a recent unboxing on youtube where the someone did the same as me. In the video he connects the jp21 to a scart but doesn't show it being turned on. I asked and he said he tried multiple cables. Ordered the right ones and everything was fine.

Rich!

Just got an ossc newsletter, confirmation that the price will be £150. Which is really, really reasonable.

At that price I would get one even if do buy a framemeister this month. Which will happen as the ossc batches are in 100 units each and my place is in the low 700s.

Is there a way I could tell if I open up the cable? I found a recent unboxing on youtube where the someone did the same as me. In the video he connects the jp21 to a scart but doesn't show it being turned on. I asked and he said he tried multiple cables. Ordered the right ones and everything was fine.

Probably, just need to compare the pin out with what wires are wired up on your cable.

Here's a pinout I found that shows the Switch line on pin 8 as have the 12v line.

scartdiag.gif

Probably want to see if that one is wired up or not.

*edit*

Ugh that image isn't reading here's another one

scart.png

Either way it seems the switching pin 8 carries a variety of voltages.

Lettuce

Gahhhh

The xrgb just went up by £30 on Solaris literally within a day. Hoping it doesn't go up any more before I place an order at the end of the month

Just get a OSSC, the price has been confirmed at £150 hopefully ive been lucky enough to get in the first batch so will find out in the next day....hope my Display supports the line triple mode!

Rich!

Just get a OSSC, the price has been confirmed at £150 hopefully ive been lucky enough to get in the first batch so will find out in the next day....hope my Display supports the line triple mode!

Yeah but

How long will it take for my batch is the question. If they stick to batches of 100 (I'm low 700s), I could be waiting until Christmas!

Unless there's a lot of time wasters in the list, which could be possible. There could also be a lot of scalpers.

Mega

Banned
Mega in 5 years

That's awesome tho. I'm @ my limit with 3CRTs lol.

Thats a really nice (and crazy) GameCube setup but... no way I would take it that far! I'm down to 4 fully operational CRTs, looking to recycle the excess and haven't bought any new ones in months.

Thanks for the reply!

About the HD Retrovision cables. They provide a 5-wire component signal, so there is no SCART cable/connection involved. Not sure how they have anything to do with each other.

I may just use composite for the Dreamcast until such time the HD Retrovision guys (hopefully) create a component cable for the system.

I like the component switch that you recommended, but I wish it had more channels. Do you have any experience connecting a switcher to another switcher, or do you know if that is a common solution for a large amount of component devices?

This has been bugging me for a while, but my consumer Sony Trinitron has some display issues. Not sure if it's a geometry thing that I can fix on the service menu but there is a big chunk of the screen on the left that is not displaying when I use my Dreamcast or Wii with S-Video. Some major underscan going on. Adjusting in-game displays doesn't help either, the picture disappears into the black void.

When I use my DVD player on this thing this side of the screen is 100% fine. Any idea what the issue is? Thanks.

Balb

Ended up getting a Sony Trinitron KV-32FS120 off of Craigslist on sixteen-bit's recommendation. Fantastic TV for the pre-HD 3D consoles.

Ended up getting a Sony Trinitron KV-32FS120 off of Craigslist on sixteen-bit's recommendation. Fantastic TV for the pre-HD 3D consoles.

I have the same CRTime! How is yours holding up? Mine produces a slightly fuzzy image, and I cannot tell if it means that the CRT is in need of maintenance or if this is normal. Using HDTVs for several years has messed up my memory!

Morfeo

You component switch suggestion, is really starting to become one of the most quoted posts in this thread. And yeah, the toro ccan do 480p over scart!

Randomizer

This has been bugging me for a while, but my consumer Sony Trinitron has some display issues. Not sure if it's a geometry thing that I can fix on the service menu but there is a big chunk of the screen on the left that is not displaying when I use my Dreamcast or Wii with S-Video. Some major underscan going on. Adjusting in-game displays doesn't help either, the picture disappears into the black void.

When I use my DVD player on this thing this side of the screen is 100% fine. Any idea what the issue is? Thanks.

Exactly as you said a minor underscan issue that can easily be fixed in the service menu. No idea why the DVD player doesn't do it. Is the DVD through S-video too?

Balb

I have the same CRTime! How is yours holding up? Mine produces a slightly fuzzy image, and I cannot tell if it means that the CRT is in need of maintenance or if this is normal. Using HDTVs for several years has messed up my memory!

Nice! I think a little fuzziness is to be expected from a consumer-level CRT. I've tested my GameCube via component and my PS2 via composite and I get a very small amount of fuzziness. I'm guessing the years of using HDTVs has spoiled you :p. Depends on how pronounced it is on your TV though.

Madao

i'm starting to consider selling my GC component cable to fund a GCVideo HDMI mod. it seems much more convenient to have the HDMI mod because it cuts down on the things between the GC and the TV (right now mine passes through the FM)

the things stopping me is that i wouldn't be able to do multiple screenshot comparisons anymore and how effective the mod is. the best route looks like it is to get the mod first and then decide based on results with my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom