• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruprit

I tell you Krikzz has been the only one that seems to be able to keep up with demand. I don't know why, or what he does differently, but he seems to do a good job of it.

Krikzz has been around for a lot longer, so it's probably down to having more experience. Game-Tech.us didn't think there would be enough demand for their Hi-Def NES to go beyond their first production batch! That's just bizarre when you spend more than a year designing and producing the kit. As an aside, I'm interested to see how retrousb handles the launch of their AVS console.

Krikzz has been around for a lot longer, so it's probably down to having more experience. Game-Tech.us didn't think there would be enough demand for their Hi-Def NES to go beyond their first production batch! That's just bizarre when you spend more than a year designing and producing the kit. As an aside, I'm interested to see how retrousb handles the launch of their AVS console.

Yeah I think Kevtris thought it was going to take them a few weeks to sell out of the first 200. Jason figured it would sell out in a few hours. I guess it must be really hard to gauge interest on this kind of things, I really don't know.

Though this rolling Pre-order that some of them are doing makes more sense (like Gametech for the HiDefNes and the GWSCART, though I need to get a pre-order of that in when I actually have some money).

dubc35

You win this round ps2! I bought a config DVD and figured I would just use it via RGB for my PVM. Nope, super green screen. It looks like there are some region code options but I think it will be done via S-Video it is for now.

In other news, my ps2 (fatty) is struggling it appears. Disc tray slowly opens and in general it's quite dirty. Add cleaning it off to my list of things to do.

Ruprit

You win this round ps2! I bought a config DVD and figured I would just use it via RGB for my PVM. Nope, super green screen. It looks like there are some region code options but I think it will be done via S-Video it is for now.

In other news, my ps2 (fatty) is struggling it appears. Disc tray slowly opens and in general it's quite dirty. Add cleaning it off to my list of things to do.

Make sure you set your PS2 to output RGB in the option menu.

dubc35

Make sure you set your PS2 to output RGB in the option menu.

Yep, I did. I think it's a "feature" at least based on some searching around the web. It's really more of a lack of research on my part than the ps2 not doing what I want. I only tried the DVD if games are the same (which I don't suspect) then that's a different issue. We'll see tonight I guess!

Khaz

iirc, the green screen when watching a DVD on a PS2 via RGB is by design. You are supposed to use Composite to watch films. You can bypass this limitation by using software or mod chips.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
TBH, in line doubling mode 480i just won't be very representative at all as half the detail is missing in every frame. If your TV doesn't saw tooth or line double 480i, it'll be better to use passthrough mode. There's no processing that the OSSC will do to improve the image as once the image gets to your TV, it'll get down sampled in either mode.

The advantage of the OSSC is purely in how it compares to the FM. Using an uncompressed color space and not applying processing is how it has deeper and cleaner color detail compared to the FM. However, like I said, your TV inevitably down samples color anyway, and hopefully it does a better job than the FM. In your case, that does seem to be true. However if someone were to connect the OSSC to a TV that handles sampling terribly, there probably won't be much difference and the OSSC's advantages go out the window... Save for the lag advantage.

There are instances where an HDTV has an option to operate in 4:4:4 mode and there's no down sampling in the chain at all. That is the ideal scenario. Unfortunately, most instances are limited to the TV's native resolution and the feature can't be implemented bellow the set's native res. That's how my plasma operates and it's kinda irritating, but I'm not too mad since its sampling methods are of a nice quality. No method is perfect however, but that's a whole other conversation...

When I take some new 480i shots, should I just turn on passthrough, then?

@Chacranajxy Why does your PS2 still have the plastic film on it?

Shots look nice but now I'm just bothered.

It'll sound dumb, but I've been meaning to do that for years, once I had the PS2 slims in a more permanent set up. Obviously, this hasn't happened yet. I'm trying to get my old school setup put together later this year, so maybe then...!

dubc35

iirc, the green screen when watching a DVD on a PS2 via RGB is by design. You are supposed to use Composite to watch films. You can bypass this limitation by using software or mod chips.

Yep, that is what I found only online as well. Poor research on my part prior but not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Rich!

Is the PSone equivalent in quality to the OG in terms of picture and sound? My OG psx is dead and the PSone is much cheaper, oddly

Danny Dudekisser

Is the PSone equivalent in quality to the OG in terms of picture and sound? My OG psx is dead and the PSone is much cheaper, oddly

Yeah, it is. There was a comparison I saw a while back that looked at the video output of the various models, and they were all pretty similar. PSOne offered a brighter picture than some of the older models, and that's about it. Speaking of which, I should take my new PSOne out of the box now. I always regretted selling that thing way back.

Rich!

Awesome, that's what I assumed. And I guess the laser mechanism will be superior.

And it'll fit right in next to my SFC Jr!

televator

When I take some new 480i shots, should I just turn on passthrough, then?

Try it first. See if you can notice any combing during fast camera turning and/or an increase in resolved detail. You shouldn't see a difference in chrominance though. For your own viewing pleasure, it's worth a shot to see if your TV handles it better... That is litterely the whole reason the pass through function exists on the unit.

Edit: BTW, my plasma still has the plastic film around the bezzel. I just haven't seen the need to take it off and I don't like the idea of getting smooth plastic all scratched up. lol

Rich!

I only really need it as my SOTN machine tbh lol

Problem is my old console was NTSC. I don't really want to go through the hassle of getting an NTSC PSone when PAL ones are as cheap as £10 on ebay....luckily I discovered PSone mod chips which enable region free are available for as cheap as £3 each!

I could have sworn DVD output also worked under component and S-Video. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Danny Dudekisser

I only really need it as my SOTN machine tbh lol

Problem is my old console was NTSC. I don't really want to go through the hassle of getting an NTSC PSone when PAL ones are as cheap as £10 on ebay....luckily I discovered PSone mod chips which enable region free are available for as cheap as £3 each!

I still don't, and probably never will, understand the point of playing PAL versions of games in this day and age.

televator

Depends on what effects mods and hacks can have. Modded Xbox can be toggled to run in NTSC and it'll play PAL games at 60Hz. It's like magic or something. lol

I think GC also does this under Swiss, but don't know for sure.

Rich!

I still don't, and probably never will, understand the point of playing PAL versions of games in this day and age.

there's a reason my entire collection is 60hz/japanese! Gamecube is fine in PAL though.

edit: just bought this. £17 for a boxed PSone with controller, RGB scart cable and games:

4h5T61x.jpg

I think that's fair. I also ordered a modchip from eurasia which came to £6 with shipping. 8 wire installation but seems easy enough

Khaz

With Playstations consoles, you have no choice but to import games from US / Japan, as the discs dictate the format in which they should be played. Unlike SEGA consoles, which dictates how the game should be played, so Europeans can still buy Euro games and play them at 60Hz with the proper hardware.

The thing about the OSSC that makes me the most happy is it shows that people are working on, and will continue to work on that kind of thing. It makes me more comfortable with our eventual CRTless future when all the BVM/PVMs and what not are gone/way too expensive.

Rich!

Traces and pins are tiny but it's still manageable.

yep, nothing I haven't dealt with before.

I've become really confident with soldering. I mean, damn - it's such a useful skill to have. I was able to build a starfox 2 repro recently with absolute ease. And that's supposed to be tricky! I've also replaced an SPC chip too, which was a success and gained me £40 after selling the unit as a 60hz modded console.

Danny Dudekisser

Once someone has confirmation of the ossc working well with the SNES (particularly, SNES mini) I'm sold.

I bought a Super Famicom a couple days ago. Won't be here for probably another week or so, but I'll be taking a lot of shots of that once I do.

Which reminds me that I'll need to buy another expensive-ass cable from retro_console_accessories.

The things I do for love.

Danny Dudekisser

why

they're £12 here in the UK. Just order from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ or get someone in the UK to ship one over for you

I'm unreasonably concerned about getting a noisy signal, particularly for the audio. My speakers will make it clear when there's something amiss.

I've had no issues whatsoever with retro_console_accessories cables with the coax upgrades for the PS1 or the Saturn, so at least I know that shit works.

Please. Their cables are no better than Chinese eBay stuff. To get the coax quality stuff you need to fork £50 for their Megadrive cable.

Yeah going to completely disagree with this here. That's not even remotely true (in regards to it being no better than chinese ebay stuff). Yeah their coax quality stuff is expensive but its the same price range as the Ebay seller everyone loves. Plus 90+% of the people out there don't actually need coax level stuff.

Khaz

Yeah going to completely disagree with this here. That's not even remotely true (in regards to it being no better than chinese ebay stuff). Yeah their coax quality stuff is expensive but its the same price range as the Ebay seller everyone loves. Plus 90+% of the people out there don't actually need coax level stuff.

Their £12 cables are of exactly the same build quality than a $6 from China is all I'm saying. When you want quality cables, you need to pay a premium, regardless of where you are getting them.

Einhandr

My DVDO vp20 should arrive today. I'm giddy and nervous at the same time to see if it has a deinterlacing card installed or not (the seller was not sure and couldn't be bothered to hook it up to check the menu options). If it doesn't I'm sure it's still a great purchase for a budget conscious retro enthusiast like myself (is that an oxymoron?). I purchased it more or less to tide me over until my number comes up to order an OSSC. Once my SCART and breakout cables come tomorrow I'll have everything I need to get my SNES, Genesis and PCE up and running in glorious 240p RGB. I'll try and post some screens once I get everything sorted out.

Mega

Banned
OSCC seems pretty nice. I signed up for the waiting list although I'm fine if they don't get to me until the holidays or early 2017. I'm in no urgent need for it.

I was looking through the N64 game with best graphics thread and I had a post from June in there which no one answered. It's about the PS1's output and bit depth. This needs some context so I'll post the discussion from this thread that led to my post in the N64 thread, starting off with televator's post which kicked off the discussion here. Anyone have any insight into this?

Pardon me. Just reposting this quote in here more for documenting purposes:

PSX games actually look incorrect if they are too crisp. You can output a crisp image from the console, but the games themselves were made with NTSC colorbleed in mind. This is because, often, for speed, games would downsample from 18/16 bpp to an 8bpp framebuffer that would introduce really nasty fullscreen dither.

When you view many PSX games with crisp output, like you get if you use the SVideo cable, you get stuff like this:

GTdith1.JPG
GTdith2.JPG

Now, that would all look ok if there was a 1 pixel blur applied to the screen, or if there were scanlines, or if there is NTSC/PAL colorbleed going on to mask the dither, but straight, crisp output winds up looking wrong otherwise.

Of course, if anyone wants to discuss the contents of this post, I'd be more than happy to engage. ;) Heck, I encourage you. Let's talk bit depth RGB GAF.

I thought it was from 24-bit to 16-bit which caused the dithering. Is it really 16-bit to 8-bit?
A drop in color bit depth would cause banding, not dithering. The latter would be added separately by the devs as they saw fit (eg. to mitigate banding, add depth to low-res, low-color textures with games on Composite displays). Even when creating a gif or low color image from a higher res source, the result is grainy only IF dithering was deliberately added. It does not just occur automatically as a result. Consoles don't dither down to 16 bits.
He means RGB 24-bit to RGB 16/15-bit. 8-bit is color palette mode, usually.
Googling this led me to a few old threads on Sega 16... trying to figure out where he got that PS1 games are interpolated from 16 to 8 bpp. His own PS1 images have well over 256 colors, possibly thousands going by the color counts people were posting of various dithered game screencaps in one of those threads. I ran one Gran Turismo image through Photoshop, set to save as GIF (256 max colors) and in the quantized before/after side by side preview, you can see that hundreds, maybe thousands of colors get dropped. He conceded then that it's something else causing the full screen dithering since the image captures are not 8bpp (and this by itself wouldn't add dithering), so I dunno what he found out since then that's got him back to saying this stuff recently as if it's verified true.

He seem to write a lot, but lacks a bit of knowledge.

For example. He wrote: (old post from another forum)
... AFIK the PSX has no 256 color framebuffer mode (only 16 and 24-bit per pixel) and in any case, such on the fly dithering would have to be done in hardware as it would be way too CPU intensive to convert on the fly. ...

Not true. That's where his entire confusion comes from as it seems.

Edit:
Dithering is done a lil differently for 2d (static images) and 3d games.

(My unanswered post in the N64 thread asking for clarification from krejlooc)
No, those consoles could in fact produce all the colors necessary natively. This is not the "native" frame he is talking about. This is indeed the final output framebuffer, but it is produced by reducing the color depth from 18/16/whatever bpp the originally rendered frame was at to 8bpp, which is what causes the dithering. he's asking if is possible to get at the original frame before the reduction in color depth occurs, and in some cases it is.

I've read this a few times in your past posts, but I can't find anything anywhere that states the PS1 framebuffer outputs a 8bpp image. All the documentation and online discussions I've come across state that the hardware strictly has 24bit (mainly FMV and stills) and 15 bit color modes (in-game graphics).

http://psx.rules.org/gpu.txt
The Frame Buffer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The frame buffer is the memory which stores all grpahic data which the GPU
can access and manipulate, while drawing and displaying an image . The
memory is under the GPU and cannot be accessed by the CPU directly. It is
operated solely by the GPU. The frame buffer has a size of 1 MB and is
treated as a space of 1024 pixels wide and 512 pixels high. Each "pixel"
has the size of one word (16 bit). It is not treated linearly like usual
memory, but is accessed through coordinates, with an upperleft corner of
(0,0) and a lower right corner of (1023,511).

When data is displayed from the frame buffer, a rectangular area is read
from the specified coordinate within this memory. The size of this area can
be chosen from several hardware defined types. Note that these hardware
sizes are only valid when the X and Y stop/start registers are at their
default values. This display area can be displayed in two color formats,
being 15bit direct and 24bit direct.

Furthermore, a 8bpp image by itself would not lead to massive full-screen dithering by itself... and this is just my observation, but common dithering techniques on a 8-bit image itself is subtle enough not to be as blatant as what's happening in PS1 screengrabs. Something else in the hardware would be applying that ugly dithering separately. I took one of your "8bpp" GT pics and changed it to GIF or PNG-8 (256 color limit) and hundreds, if not thousands, of colors are dropped on close-up inspection. How then can that be if the image output by the framebuffer is supposed to already be 8 bits/256 colors? Unless I'm missing something obvious, that doesn't make any sense. From what I've seen and read others say, the GPU outputs a 24-bit image that is then reduced to 15 bits in the framebuffer and at some point dithering is OPTIONALLY applied to mitigate the possibly resulting color banding (all depending on the game developer).

If this is completely wrong, please let me know. Just curious and trying to make sense of it.
(end of original post)

IrishNinja

i can be perfectly incompetent with old tech sober, thank ye

wait so you're saying i shouldn't open this thing and poke around with a fork, then

IrishNinja

maaaaaaaaan i remember years back not even knowing that was a thing, then reading a mod on racketboy got zapped clear across the room & had his nethers a bit burned because of a residual charge left in an unplugged monitor...yikes

dude was lucky he didn't have any major injuries, but yeah, damn

Peagles

maaaaaaaaan i remember years back not even knowing that was a thing, then reading a mod on racketboy got zapped clear across the room & had his nethers a bit burned because of a residual charge left in an unplugged monitor...yikes

dude was lucky he didn't have any major injuries, but yeah, damn

That was the number one thing I remember from my time working at my Dad's friend's TV repair shop as a young lass. I was instructed to keep far away due to the possibility of arcing, lol.

Please. Their cables are no better than Chinese eBay stuff. To get the coax quality stuff you need to fork £50 for their Megadrive cable.

er what? where did you find this info?

Ive bought chinese cables and also from retrogamingcables.uk and the difference is night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom