• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

missile

Yeah, that's too much. :p

Something odd... using the converter, PC Engine RGB-to-Composite has no dot crawl whereas NES, SNES and Gen all do to one degree or another. The PC-E signal is nearly identical to the S-Video conversion. I wonder what's different about this system from the rest. ...
Hmm. Are they all converted to the same video format? NTSC has less dot-crawl.

... You mean take a photo of my monitor running Sonic on the converted RGB-to-Composite? I can do that later when I get home from work.
Nope. The RGB signal which gets into your converter, if you can grab that one.

Edit:
Oh, and grabbing the composite out would be very welcome as well.

Peltz

So my Toro is definitely broken. I just emailed the guys who made it and hopefully they will repair it or give me a replacement unit. It really sucks.

It seems I've had some seriously bad luck with Dreamcasts over the years in general, having gone through about 5 different units, all with varying issues, and now this issue on a peripheral that I expected to last much longer.

Sometimes, it really is such a downer when videogame items crap out on you.

Don't even get me started on my Virtual Boy experiences, because those things get fucked up if you just look at them the wrong way.

Sorry to vent. I'm just a bit frustrated. Sometimes, I really wish they built these items with better parts and just charged us more money for them.

There are certain consoles that have literally never given me an issue, then certain others that never seem to last no matter how gingerly you handle them.

Rich!

So the TV was confused by the Composite Video? Damn these new TVs really suck with old hardware :/

Basically, yeah. The solution was to wire it for ONLY c-sync. At first after I modded it last night, I thought I had fucked it up entirely - no image whatsoever on my HDTV and an entirely fucked up rolling image on my PVM. Opened it up again, realised I still had one more composite line - nothing to lose, so I cut the trace, tried again and voilà

I can only assume it was somehow attempting to take sync from two sources and failing. The only issue now is that the entire image is shifted to the right - but the framemeister will have no issue with that.

I now have perfect rgb output from it on every display I own. The downside is no more composite

Wait a minute, that ain't a downside

Mega

Banned
Hmm. Are they all converted to the same video format? NTSC has less dot-crawl.

Nope. The RGB signal which gets into your converter, if you can grab that one.

Edit:
Oh, and grabbing the composite out would be very welcome as well.

Yes, the converter generates a Composite or S-video signal and has a toggle for either NTSC or PAL. It's always set to NTSC. Something about the PC Engine Duo (RGB modded) causes
1. RGB fed into my HD CRT monitor to be a little distorted along the top one-tenth and
2. the converter-generated Composite signal to be entirely free of dot crawl and most color bleed. Best Composite I ever seen!

I don't have a capture card if you mean direct grab. Is there some basic capture card out there that can be recommended to capture easily and accurately? I'm not really up on my knowledge of that stuff.

missile

Yes, the converter generates a Composite or S-video signal and has a toggle for either NTSC or PAL. It's always set to NTSC. Something about the PC Engine Duo (RGB modded) causes

1. RGB fed into my HD CRT monitor to be a little distorted along the top one-tenth and ...
That could be a V-sync issue in not exactly generating some serration pulses.

... 2. the converter-generated Composite signal to be entirely free of dot crawl and most color bleed. Best Composite I ever seen! ...
Is the composite image as sharp as the other ones from Gen, SNES etc.?

... I don't have a capture card if you mean direct grab. Is there some basic capture card out there that can be recommended to capture easily and accurately? I'm not really up on my knowledge of that stuff.
One of the older Hauppauge I would try.

Timu

I don't have a capture card if you mean direct grab. Is there some basic capture card out there that can be recommended to capture easily and accurately? I'm not really up on my knowledge of that stuff.
For RGB you want Star tech Pexhdcap, though you need a sync strike as well.

I have a USB3HDCAP, which I believe is essentially the external version of the PEXHDCAP.

I do not use a sync strike. I feed RGBS into the VGA-style capture dongle, using the four BNC connectors that pass through the inputs on my broadcast monitors. Aka any old VGA-4BNC cable. The chipset in these devices seems completely happy with composite sync as with separate H and V sync. In other words, either of these are fine.

xrygAu0.jpg

Timu

I have a USB3HDCAP, which I believe is essentially the external version of the PEXHDCAP.

I do not use a sync strike. I feed RGBS into the VGA-style capture dongle, using the four BNC connectors that pass through the inputs on my broadcast monitors. Aka any old VGA-4BNC cable. The chipset in these devices seems completely happy with composite sync as with separate H and V sync. In other words, either of these are fine.
That works as well!!!

I was just looking at doing the mod to my FZ-10. It's literally just putting a switch on two
pins on the VP536. You'll just need to make sure you get a 3DO with that chip.

RetroRGB has a nice little write up about it.

http://www.retrorgb.com/3do240p.html

Interesting, so the 3DO's native resolution is 240p and the 480i output is a kind of cheat? That's important to me, since if the native resolution was actually 480i I wouldn't want to mess with that. This makes sense though, since PS1 and Saturn were for the most part 240p consoles.

Mega

Banned
That could be a V-sync issue in not exactly generating some serration pulses.

Is the composite image as sharp as the other ones from Gen, SNES etc.?

One of the older Hauppauge I would try.

I can't say with 100% certainty, I need to get my composite cables out... but I perceive the signal to be better than the time when I got my first 20" PVM and only had Composite for my Genesis, SNES and previously unmodded Famicom.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into the USB3HDCAP.

Maxpacker

Is this the reason why anything that involved some kind of flicker - the fake transparencies in SNK and CAPCOM games on the Saturn, for instance - looks really bad on modern TV, if you straight up conncect your old systems to one of them? Would the Mini bring all those effects back to normal, on a display like yours (or mine, which works with 240p in the very same way)?

Taking shameless advantage of your post to add my related request as well.
Any tips on how to tweak the V-Linearity/Slope/Size/Zoom and S-Correction values, on a Trinitron KV21fX30B CRT TV? I'm having a hard time figuring out how related all these settings are, and even though I'm aware I won't be able to fix some geometry issues of my screen, I'm pretty sure I can still improve things a little bit.

This might help you:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ice-menu-Tips-Tricks-and-settings-suggestions

Link to service manual: http://elektrotanya.com/sony_kv-21fx30b_kv-21fx30e_kv-21fx30k_chassis_fe-2.pdf/download.html

I have a 27" Trinitron kv27fs210 and was able to get into the service menu and tweak lots of things. Geometry isnt perfect but it's alot better now than it was, and I tweaked the color to perfection using an avia disc.

Galdelico

This might help you:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ice-menu-Tips-Tricks-and-settings-suggestions

Link to service manual: http://elektrotanya.com/sony_kv-21fx30b_kv-21fx30e_kv-21fx30k_chassis_fe-2.pdf/download.html

I have a 27" Trinitron kv27fs210 and was able to get into the service menu and tweak lots of things. Geometry isnt perfect but it's alot better now than it was, and I tweaked the color to perfection using an avia disc.
Huge thanks, unfortunately it seems that service menu on Wega CRTs is very different from the one I can access on my TV. Loads of values are missing from mine.

Also, I know how to activate the menu, and I've tweaked alot myself (thanks for the link anyway), I was just wondering if there's someone here with the same TV I own, who can give me some better suggestions or personal profiles to compare to what I use. ;)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No, and I'm fucking mad.

Edit: When I do get it, though, I'll try and do some tests for you guys. Currently, I'm thinking I'll test out Saturn, PS1, PS2 (480i and 480p games), GC, and Dreamcast. It'll be cool.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is there a sync timing issue on 60hz modded PAL mega drives? My HDTV (direct rgb scart input) does not like the MD set to 60hz mode - the sync goes completely wack and the image flickers in and out. In 50hz, it's fine. It's also fine on my JVC CRT. All of my NTSC consoles (n64, snes, saturn, ps1) are fine on both TV sets.

Will it be an issue with the framemeister?

Would be interested to see a video of this, sounds similar to some of the issues ive had as well.

Ruprit

No, and I'm fucking mad.

Edit: When I do get it, though, I'll try and do some tests for you guys. Currently, I'm thinking I'll test out Saturn, PS1, PS2 (480i and 480p games), GC, and Dreamcast. It'll be cool.

I was afraid to ask.

Wii was mentioned, so I will have to get that out of the closet and hook it up using component. I just got an import Xbox 360 in the mail today and have that hooked up via VGA in 480p. Shmups look great, but 480p line-doubling looks worse imo because the scan-lines are too small.

Danny Dudekisser

I was afraid to ask.

Wii was mentioned, so I will have to get that out of the closet and hook it up using component. I just got an import Xbox 360 in the mail today and have that hooked up via VGA in 480p. Shmups look great, but 480p line-doubling looks worse imo because the scan-lines are too small.

I could do Wii, as well... but that system is such a pain in the ass to hook up.

Ruprit

I could do Wii, as well... but that system is such a pain in the ass to hook up.

Exactly the reason why both my Wii and WiiU are in their boxes, in my closet. For a company that prides itself on making products that are simple and user friendly, they made two seriously cluttered consoles.

Danny Dudekisser

Exactly the reason why both my Wii and WiiU are in their boxes, in my closet. For a company that prides itself on making products that are simple and user friendly, they made two seriously cluttered consoles.

Yeah. I love the Wii U, but what a pain. Nowhere near as annoying as the Wii, though, because in addition to all the random clutter, you just know that when you dig the Wiimote out of the box, the batteries are going to be drained.

So, testing the Wii is looking like a strong maybe. We'll see.

Ruprit

Yeah. I love the Wii U, but what a pain. Nowhere near as annoying as the Wii, though, because in addition to all the random clutter, you just know that when you dig the Wiimote out of the box, the batteries are going to be drained.

So, testing the Wii is looking like a strong maybe. We'll see.

If you don't do it, I'll try and take some photos (I've been practicing) this weekend.

Ruprit

So im guessing the OSSC is going to be hard to buy for quite some time (without being on a waiting list) right?

I believe so. The wait list is over 700 now. VideoGamePerfection.com mentioned that they're hoping to fulfill those on the list by Christmas. Having said that, VideoGamePerfection mentioned that only 50% of the first 100 on the wait list placed an order. So it might go quicker.

Gyrian

I think that would work, your chain would be:

Console with a JP21 RGB scart out > converter cable > Euro RGB scart > Transcoder (CSY-2100) > Component > Samsung CRT

I have no idea how good that CSY is. Another option would be to transcode the XRGBmini output (HDMI/DVI?) to component and leave it in your chain.

Pretty late follow up, but I've actually built this setup! The first thing to verify was whether my old Samsung CRT (TXR-2035) could handle 240p over component. I have a PS2 with component cables, a really good natural way to find out! And it did. And it looked more beautiful than anything I've ever seen on this screen. (please forgive the iPhone images)

A3OYkJz.jpg

ClYSODz.jpg

For the RGB -> Component box, I ended up going with this. It's really well built, handed everything perfectly without adjustment, and included stereo out in the same unit.

I've since gotten into the TV's service menu and made a handful of really nice adjustments around overscan and picture quality. I am simply blown away by how good it looks. The next thing to sort out will be sound, because the speakers on the set make basic sound luxurious. Didn't take pictures, but the Saturn looked glorious. As did the Neo Geo:

ctrPIQD.jpg

c1ajjxy.jpg

Even my old Sega CD, in all its delicious, grainy FMV!

rc8C7YH.jpg

So all in all, I'm rather excited at the second life I'm about to wring out of this CRT. I'd like to try a PVM some day, but I am in great hands until such a day. Well worth going after if you are in a similar situation.

Looking for some thoughts/advice on a consumer Sony Trinitron, specifically the KV-36FS130.

So how do these really compare to a pro monitor? Will my RGB -> component look bad? Especially blown up that big? And don't these TVs do 480p? This model only goes up to 480i according the manual online.

tl;dr: Tell me about component PQ in consumer Trinitrons vs a typical RGB monitor.

Anyone? I'm probably going to pass on this behemoth TV unless someone here says it's a holy grail of some kind at that size. Just don't have the room and I'm worried the geometry would be off in a tube so large -- especially since my 46-inch Panasonic plasma accepts 240p over component with next to no lag as near as I can tell....

Gyrian

Anyone? I'm probably going to pass on this behemoth TV unless someone here says it's a holy grail of some kind at that size. Just don't have the room and I'm worried the geometry would be off in a tube so large -- especially since my 46-inch Panasonic plasma accepts 240p over component with next to no lag as near as I can tell....

It might not be worth your while given the option you already have available. I don't know about holy grail, but even my modest Samsung CRT shines in 240p with RGB to component as I was describing just above.

I'm not an expert on TVs, but I did pass that model up during my TV hunt the past month.

I liked the screen size, build in speakers, and that it had component YPbPr support.

However, I didn't like it's size once I actually thought about how much space you'd need, and I'm not sold at all on flat screen CRTs.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the flat screen distort the images in scrolling games?

I could be wrong, but I recall flat CRTs messed up the edges of 480i television, and some DVDs I watched, back in the day. I don't recall ever using games on one, but I don't know how that'd be any different.

Yes, most of the CRT junkies say the traditional curved screens are better than the late-model flat panels. The 24-inch Trinitron I used to own was flat and I thought it was fine, though...

Rich!

my xrgb mini is now at tokyo international (as of about four hours ago - 23:00 japan time, 14:00 GMT)

I've got a load of mates round this weekend, hopefully it'll turn up by then! if we're gonna spend an hour fighting on the MK64 character select screen over who gets to be Wario, it might as well be in the best possible quality

I have the KV-32FS100, and it has served me very well so far. Given how heavy mine is, I would only jump in if you have at least 2 or 3 strong people to help you move it. I would not get it if you need to move the TV around often.

Yes, most of the CRT junkies say the traditional curved screens are better than the late-model flat panels. The 24-inch Trinitron I used to own was flat and I thought it was fine, though...

Hey, I play on a flat CRT every day. It's true that it's easier for old sets to hold proper geometry on a curved screen, though.

The old vertically flat Trinitrons were really something. Barely see those around these days, however.

johnhandy

I believe so. The wait list is over 700 now. VideoGamePerfection.com mentioned that they're hoping to fulfill those on the list by Christmas. Having said that, VideoGamePerfection mentioned that only 50% of the first 100 on the wait list placed an order. So it might go quicker.

First batch of OSSC is sold at #164: https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/reserve-list-backlog-check-your-spot Hopefully batch 2 happens sooner rather than later. :(

videogameprefection.com said:
All OSSC from the first batch, bar about 3 units have now sold. We’re holding onto these 3 units for now in case it turns out that there are any faulty units out in the field. We’ll have some exciting news about batch 2 soon.

Mega

Banned
I just remembered either the Ukraine postal service or the USPS lost my Turbo Everdrive over the holidays. :(

KrikZZ was really cool though and sent another one when it was clear it was lost and would never arrive.

Danny Dudekisser

I just remembered either the Ukraine postal service or the USPS lost my Turbo Everdrive over the holidays. :(

KrikZZ was really cool though and sent another one when it was clear it was lost and would never arrive.

The silver lining to this whole thing, if there is such a thing, is that it's gotten me excited about playing some real-ass video games again. In the last week, I bought Thunder Force Gold Pack 2, Gunbird, Dragon Force, and Legend of Oasis... and today, I'm about to buy a Super Famicom. It's a little annoying to be getting all this cool stuff and having literally no way to play any of it, but at least I'm getting it.

Danny Dudekisser

Thank fucking God.

My fucking OSSC finally made it to my city. Now all they have to do is deliver it tomorrow, and... well, I should be golden.

Thank fucking God.

My fucking OSSC finally made it to my city. Now all they have to do is deliver it tomorrow, and... well, I should be golden.

When did yours intitially ship? Mine shipped on the 16th and has been at at JFK in New York since Sunday, so I am just wondering about how much longer I can expect it to take.

Edit: Oh nevermind, I see above that you might not have had a normal shipping experience...

BTails

I think everyone who's as deep as us into retro game hardware have had a bad experience with shipping before, especially considering the amount of custom hardware from across the world (Upscaler from Japan, Everdrives from Ukraine, Dreamcast VGA box from Turkey, etc...). I know I've had stuff from Japan never arrive.

Glad to hear the OSSC has made it to your city. Looking forward to impressions!

Ruprit

I think everyone who's as deep as us into retro game hardware have had a bad experience with shipping before, especially considering the amount of custom hardware from across the world (Upscaler from Japan, Everdrives from Ukraine, Dreamcast VGA box from Turkey, etc...). I know I've had stuff from Japan never arrive.

Glad to hear the OSSC has made it to your city. Looking forward to impressions!

Right on. I remember, years ago, when I bought an SLG-in-a-Box, it sat for two months in US customs.

So are there any plans for the OSSC to get a US Distributor? I missed out on the pre-order while the Pound is weak against the dollar. Hoping there will be some licensing deal here in the US for a $150-200 unit.

Ruprit

I'm at work, but I'll leave early.

I'll test a buncha stuff out tonight and post it up here, but I'm gonna leave time for what I've really wanted to play once I got this thing: Batsugun.

Nice!

That's hilarious. Once I beat SOTN I was trying to learn to 1CC Deathsmiles or Batsugun. I can't wait to hear your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom