• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

the only resolution changing game i own on n64 is Majora's Mask (it does that when you check the bomer's notebook.)

thankfully it's only in the menu that happens.
World Driver Championship and Killer Instinct Gold on N64 also do res changing.

Mega

Banned
RE2 N64 with expansion pak is the real resolution switch test. Literally the same alley or hall changes as you move from one prerendered scene to the next. In the pics below, the scene is 240p after the gunstore owner talks to you, move away and come back and it's 480i. edit: the pic on left is line doubled from the Ultra HDMI.

SID1pfAl.jpg
kG6np67l.jpg

I always was under the impression once you started getting over 25" the picture quality started degrading the large the CRT screen got!?....but 32" you must need like 4 people to move that sucker!

I thought Chacranajxy was asking about fixed pixel displays?

That's good to hear. So let's see... if I'm displaying a 4:3 image on a 32" display, that's like using... what size TV? A 21"?

26" http://www.displaywars.com/32-inch-16x9-vs-26-inch-4x3

I mean... You only have one or two CRTs if I recall correctly... That's like 20 less CRTs than Mega...

(You filthy causual)

Come on, don't be ridiculous. I only have eight.

Peltz

RE2 N64 with expansion pak is the real resolution switch test. Literally the same alley or hall changes as you move from one prerendered scene to the next. In the pics below, the scene is 240p after the gunstore owner talks to you, move away and come back and it's 480i.

SID1pfAl.jpg
kG6np67l.jpg

I thought Chacranajxy was asking about fixed pixel displays?

26" http://www.displaywars.com/32-inch-16x9-vs-26-inch-4x3

Come on, don't be ridiculous. I only have eight.
Lol. All in jest. I admire your awesome collection of CRTs

Madao

the last brand new CRT i owned was 29" and i almost destroyed by back and legs bringing it to my room. it also slowly destroyed my furniture where it sat for 4 years.

i couldn't be happier when i switched to HD TVs.

the extra CRT i have now is 21" so it's way more manageable

Mega

Banned
^I only have one 20" BVM. Sold off two other Sony pro CRTs at that size. Everything else is under 17" and completely and easily manageable in terms of size and weight.

Lol. All in jest. I admire your awesome collection of CRTs

If I get to 20, consider it a cry for help from the sane part of me trapped in my head. Feel free to call for professional intervention. :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
More OSSC nonsense, this time all on my Asus PG279Q monitor:

Another Chrono Cross resolution switch video, to demonstrate on this display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSoqZzvK-Wc&feature=youtu.be

I think it was actually a little quicker than it was on my Sony LCD.

Aaaand, shots:

Fear Effect is kinda tough to get a good shot of, because of all the FMV in the background, but it does look pretty good in person:

uCK95dv.jpg

Don't gotta qualify Suikoden shots -- they just look good:

cZimseX.jpg

AtwPZa8.jpg

Dracula XX stay winning:

RnjXa5v.jpg

I wanted to see how games would look if I let the OSSC transcode to HDMI... whether they would look better or suffer. They looked... good? I couldn't get the GC shots to show up that well, but it did look absolutely mint:

nyVi20B.jpg

Wii was... still the Wii. I just used my launch unit, not my Mario red one... which might actually be a bit better in terms of video quality, but I haven't tested it. Here's what I ended up with there. Picture is massive for some reason, so I quoted it:

Neither the OSSC nor my monitor gives me the option of stretching 4:3 content to widescreen. I guess they assumed hardware manufacturers couldn't possibly be stupid enough to not output a real widescreen signal. They were wrong. Xenoblade shots are with the Wii outputting its ghetto 16:9, but the screen was at 4:3... so it's actually being kinda charitable:

R0Edjlq.jpg

This isn't out of focus:

byJYIyd.jpg

So, OSSC can't work miracles as far as the Wii goes. That thing really does have worse video hardware than consoles released like 20 years prior to it.

Only oddity I've encountered is that I wasn't able to get progressive scan mode working on the PS2 over SCART. Worked fine with component and looked pristine... but from what I can tell, it should work with SCART, too.

Mega

Banned
This was on vWii, but I see the same out of place blurring on specific spots of Klonoa's stage select screen. Beneath the completed stages are up to 6 rescued prisoner icons. At some point in their little dance animation they get partially blurry. It's weird.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't know what dark gods did I please on my sleep, but I've been blessed with another CRT for free. A nearly brand new Sharp 54GT-25 gave away by my parents (I didn't even know they had it around).

It's surprisingly bulky for a small set, but picture quality is shockingly bright and sharp (HAHAHA) for a relatively cheap model. I'll try to see if they still have that old Wii around and take some quick shots of it.

Einhandr

Decided to add scanlines to my newly acquired setup last night. Found an almost new HD Fury 1 for a decent price and adding a mini slg until I have some of the stuff paid off that I bought in the last few months until I can afford an slg3000. At first I sort of regretted getting the vp20 due to lack of vga out until I saw mention of the HD Fury in a few places. Can't wait to see how everything turns out!

KC-Slater

Neither the OSSC nor my monitor gives me the option of stretching 4:3 content to widescreen.

Doesn't the OSSC give you the option between 16:9 and 4:3 output? Maybe I'm thinking of 240p content only (I've only been using my Saturn with it thus far.) I know the line-tripling feature allows you to switch between forced widescreen and 4:3 output.

Danny Dudekisser

Doesn't the OSSC give you the option between 16:9 and 4:3 output? Maybe I'm thinking of 240p content only (I've only been using my Saturn with it thus far.) I know the line-tripling feature allows you to switch between forced widescreen and 4:3 output.

Yeah, that seems to be limited to 240p. 480p doesn't have the same option.

Rich!

Found this today while on my lunch break
Two mini din extension cables! One is half the length of the other. Not sure if it will work with my xrgb to fix the stupid scart adapter hanging out the front of my entertainment unit, but worth a try for 99p!

Danny Dudekisser

Hmm... dicking around with the OSSC on my monitor, I realized that even displaying a 4:3 image, it's really not as small as I thought it was, and could be used pretty comfortably from 4-5 feet away. Which makes me feel a lot more confident that I'll be alright buying a 32". Probably going to make this happen in like... October or early November. But the part where it gets a little trickier is that I also need to buy:

A couch
A TV stand
Either active speakers, or a receiver and a couple speakers, possibly a sub a little later.

And that shit ain't cheap. But I've been wanting to build an old school setup forever, so maybe this is the time.

Rich!

Gahhhh.

I want to upgrade my TV later this year. UK. I posted for help in the TV thread in gaming side, and said I would be looking for something with good colour reproduction and low input lag for my retro gaming

The only replies I got were sarcastic comments of "why bother upgrading your TV then if you're just playing old games?! Buy a PS4!" Sigh

Anyone got any ideas? It must be 55", lower than £1k and for sale at currys for their credit plans. Ive got my eye on the Samsung range as I hear the input lag is very low.

Danny Dudekisser

I did post to say that actually I have a high end gaming rig and I watch a lot of blurays, but no response. Useless.

Eh, it's to be expected.

Anyway, I've never particularly been a fan of Samsung, but their newest tvs do seem to be good as far as lag goes. My parents got one recently (can't recall the model), and I was pleasantly surprised. Whether they do 4:4:4, I do not know.

Bro you should upgrade your SNES to a RetroN5. I hear they're incredible, can run that awesome Super 2×SaI filter on real cartridges.

Actually you know what, Sonic the Hedgehog was a bad game so all Super Nintendo games are bad too, so the only game we're allowed to play anymore is The Last Of Us Rereleased Again over and over on PS4 Neo.

MtZ9N.gif

Danny Dudekisser

Bro you should upgrade your SNES to a RetroN5. I hear they're incredible, can run that awesome Super 2×SaI filter on real cartridges.

Actually you know what, Sonic the Hedgehog was a bad game so all Super Nintendo games are bad too, so the only game we're allowed to play anymore is The Last Of Us Rereleased Again over and over on PS4 Neo.

MtZ9N.gif

OP obviously just has nostalgia glasses on.

Madao

the Wii's last hope seems to be the modified GCVideo adapter that's supposedly coming after it gets released for GC. that should bypass the shitty analog output from the console.

seeing as it doesn't look like the Wii gets much help from the OSSC, it's getting a bit less important for my needs. at this point all it would do is replace the FM in my setup.

Funny thing is I could introduce you to classic gamers that think a real cart on a Retron and a flat panel is more "authentic" than an Everdrive on a real SNES with a CRT.

Peltz

MtZ9N.gif
Don't forget guys, 1080p looks like a blurry mess in 2016.

Rich!

Funny thing is I could introduce you to classic gamers that think a real cart on a Retron and a flat panel is more "authentic" than an Everdrive on a real SNES with a CRT.

oh dear god no

It reminds me how I put through tax details for new employees at work, and I notice that they were born AFTER 2000.

holy fuck

I was 100%'ing Majora's Mask back then

IrishNinja

nice shots, chac! also rich, nevermind gaming side, haha

That's incorrect. RE2 with Jumper Pak is 240p...
I'm literally looking at it now. RE2 with Expansion Pak is 480i mixed with 240p scenes and menu.

ah right right, i guess i could just swap them back out as needed, i just don't know if i'd bother for that port...may just play it on CRT if im ever tempted

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I have a young friend who was making that case to me the other day. He was playing Zelda II on a NES-on-a-chip Famiclone and telling me it was "100% accurate because it's the real game".

Madao

that kind of situation makes me glad my irl friends completely left gaming behind in a way.

better to have them not play anything than getting the incorrrect ideas!

So I almost got a Wii (I never owned the Wii or GC) to play GC games on, and when I was discussing it with a friend, it turned out that he had GameCube component cables.

He's letting me have one pro bono, so now I'm just going to get a GameCube.

My PVM doesn't support YPbPr (as I've sadly found out with my PS2 earlier), but RGB works.
Is there any good YPbPr to RGB ( using either SCART or BNC) solution/converter, or should I just suck it up, and play the GameCube on my HDTV?

Peltz

So I almost got a Wii (I never owned the Wii or GC) to play GC games on, and when I was discussing it with a friend, it turned out that he had GameCube component cables.

My PVM doesn't support YPbPr (as I've sadly found out with my PS2 earlier), but RGB works.
Is there any good YPbPr to RGB ( using either SCART or BNC) solution/converter, or should I just suck it up, and play the GameCube on my HDTV?
GCN looks great on an HDTV for 480p games... Which is most of them. I'd give it a chance if I were you.

You could always search for a converter after giving it a shot. Although I'm betting such a converter is a bit more rare than RGB to component.

Mega

Banned

That must be coming from the blocky pixels defense force. A group who has played more modern pixel art games than actual 8 and 16 bit games on original hardware. These people either forgot or have never known how the games originally looked.

That must be coming from the blocky pixels defense force. A group who has played more modern pixel art games than actual 8 and 16 bit games on original hardware. These people either forgot or have never known how the games originally looked.

Mostly they just think original cartridges have magic in them.

A Wii VC NES game on a CRT captures more of what I felt in 1986 than a real NES on an LCD. The display tech and lack of lag, IMO, are more important than what is running the code or how the code is stored. That said, I mostly game on real console hardware, but I know what is more responsible for creating that 'authentic' feel.

New002

That's one hell of a friend! :D

Danny Dudekisser

One of my friends wanted to rebuild his SNES library a few years back, so I was like "okay, get this stuff," and he was like "dude, I don't wanna spend that much." So he got a Retron 5, and he got some grimy-ass controllers, and some grimy ass game carts. Shit looked soooooo bad. Was also pretty rad when we were playing Magical Quest and one of the bosses was totally invisible, because the Retron didn't know how to handle that sprite layer or something.

Mega

Banned
The way people in Gaming sometimes talk about retro gaming is painful. Why buy an AVS when there's Retron, why play on CRT when I have a giant LCD and RetroArch, who needs native hardware when Retro Pi exists, why own an Everdrive when there's cheap flash cart, why buy original games when there's Wii U VC, etc.

It all goes back to cheap and perceived convenience being supreme over all other factors. These are the same people asking why their new modern console isn't made with better parts after it overheated and crapped out. Or asking why HDTV options for gamers are barely improving and sometimes going backward. Well, it's because this is a hobby made up of pretty casual gamers and peasants (in the sense of an unwillingness to pay for high quality). If we were all as discerning as audiophiles, we wouldn't be in the situation of hunting down old CRTs, modded hardware and pricey scalers to get adequate performance and picture quality out of our games. Most of the time we are only catered to by hobbyists because the average gamer, both out in the wild and here on GAF, is fine (happy really) with only paying for bottom of the barrel quality at every step of his setup.

One of my friends wanted to rebuild his SNES library a few years back, so I was like "okay, get this stuff," and he was like "dude, I don't wanna spend that much." So he got a Retron 5, and he got some grimy-ass controllers, and some grimy ass game carts. Shit looked soooooo bad. Was also pretty rad when we were playing Magical Quest and one of the bosses was totally invisible, because the Retron didn't know how to handle that sprite layer or something.

Some well known podcasters stream that Retron shit on twitch. You've got a PC, just run BSNES and stream from that, at least it's accurate.

Danny Dudekisser

The way people in Gaming sometimes talk about retro gaming is painful. Why buy an AVS when there's Retron, why play on CRT when I have a giant LCD and RetroArch, who needs native hardware when Retro Pi exists, why own an Everdrive when there's cheap flash cart, why buy original games when there's Wii U VC, etc.

It all goes back to cheap and perceived convenience being supreme over all other factors. These are the same people asking why their new modern console isn't made with better parts after it overheated and crapped out. Or asking why HDTV options for gamers are barely improving and sometimes going backward. Well, it's because this is a hobby made up of pretty casual gamers and peasants (in the sense of an unwillingness to pay for high quality). If we were all as discerning as audiophiles, we wouldn't be in the situation of hunting down old CRTs, modded hardware and pricey scalers to get adequate performance and picture quality out of our games. Most of the time we are only catered to by hobbyists because the average gamer, both out in the wild and here on GAF, is fine (happy really) with only paying for bottom of the barrel quality at every step of his setup.

I'm pretty much an elitist prick for most things. Newer games? My PC is on fuckin' point and I think the people who say "you can build a gaming PC for $500" are morons. Audiophile nonsense? I buy stuff on HDTracks, and that alone should reveal how much of a snob I am. Movies? I bought an Oppo BD player even though I have like 4 other things that could play blu-rays.

So I guess it's not much of a surprise I'm the same way with old games. Dunno. I just think that if you're going to do something, you should do it right.

Einhandr

I bought a retron maybe a year ago because I wanted to play my vintage stuff on a modern display. Not to offend anyone, but man was that thing a piece of hot garbage. I returned it the next day.

This was, of course, before I found out about the wonderful world of RGB/upscalers/PVM. What a world of difference. I think I spent a lot more money on the necessary equipment, but it's been a fun/exciting and also very rewarding ride so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom