• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have no use for one currently but seeing the picture with all the cables plugged in tempted me.

The only (flimsy) justification I can come up with is that without a switch of some sort, I'd have cables all over the place, and this is the solution for a clean setup.

For $225. But it looks #fresh

I'll take the Pepsi challenge with the gscartw, Bandridge, any Shinybow switch, Hama, or any other halfway decent switch and I am sure that there is no perceivable difference in quality. The gscartw offers simultaneous VGA and SCART output, 8 inputs and 2 outputs. The Bandridge offers 5 inputs and 1 output. You can find the Bandridge online for sub 100 dollars across multiple outlets/retailers. Considering I got mine for 40, there is no justification for an additional 200 for 3 more inputs and 1 more output. You could daisy chain two Bandridge together and get 9 inputs. If you need multiple outputs, an AV splitter/distributor is 60 and nets you 4 simultaneous outputs with no signal degradation.

What does the gscartw offer that any cheaper alternative doesn't?

That's some barebones, bulky, $225 worth of aesthetic my man.

The Bandridge looks pretty at home next to older consoles. Almost looks like some hot shit DVD player from 2002.
honestly not a fan of how the bandridge looks, but you're right it's fine.
When people come over and see my retro setup, I want them to know I'm balls deep.
If they're not thinking "how does he afford this?" you're not far enough down the rabbit hole.

Danny Dudekisser

Well, fuck. Who was it that asked me to try the OSSC out on my computer monitor? I can't remember. But screw you -- now I want to hurry up and build that old-school setup I've been meaning to put together. I've got one of those G-sync monitors (Asus PG279Q, I think), and it's 1440p resolution. OSSC fuckin' loooovvvvves this thing.

Mg0MKOW.jpg

G89xA9b.jpg

wR8J2ou.jpg

I tried linetriple mode, but it really didn't seem to make a difference, outside of being brighter for some reason

Added bonus: Shot of my PC setup with the Saturn cluttering it all up:

Anyway, I'd totally buy a gaming grade monitor for old school gaming, except that they don't make any that are big enough... that I've seen. The 30"+ ones would be great if they weren't all that ultra-wide bullshit. Like that's not a gimmick if I've ever fucking seen one.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I need to get my Fujifilm X10 back from my sister someday to take some CRT shots. My iPhone just doesn't cut it, unless someone can offer any suggestions.

Mega

Banned
Btw, on the Gscart and why I ordered one, I have for a long time had troubles with the scart switches I have used, and while I know Hama and Bandridge-switches are recommended, I have also heard not so great things about those. And guys like retrorgb were all very high on the gscart, and it does really look great. Handmade, built in synch-stripper, automatic switching without signal degradation and all. Its also built by a retro-game enthusiast, so i know it will be built to avoid all noise.

Also, I am all about reducing the clutter behind my tv, and figured one switch is way better than two or probably three. And in the end, it will be more expensive, but not that much more expensive than for instance buying 2 Bandridges if you include custom and shipping. So yeah, while its expensive, I think its worth it, and really looking forward to getting mine.

What problems with the Hama and Bandridge??? I have only heard of some Hama clones and other mo-name crap switches having problems. I got three Bandridge switches for a total of $110, so actually a lot less than the gscart. Last I checked they're still out there for such low-ish prices. I'm not trying to crap on the gscart either, it's a nice product, just wishing to clear up some things.

Regarding daisy chaining, you can connect three good switches with no signal degradation. Past that it may be a minor decrease.

Madao

Nice to know. I have used load select so far (i think), but definitely going to be more conscious about it now.

Btw, why is there no guy out there making 720p profiles like Fdx and Implantgamer does for 1080p? I used to really like the Implantgamer profiles btw, but the Genesis-profile he has uploaded looks completely wrong for me, so I have now started exploring Fdx more, and i think i like them better. Nice that he gives you a lot of different options as well.

i guess it's because there's a lot more monitors/TVs that are 1080p native compared to 720p native ones and people want to avoid as much scaling as possible (720p on a 1080p native TV/monitor would have extra scaling)

Danny Dudekisser

Huh... I just found out that the dude that makes the gscartsw also has one for component that's coming out. Once again, it's kind of rad to have something that can automatically switch between stuff. So I guess that's the PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and Wii taken care of, then, and then I'd pipe all that shit through the OSSC, too.

The future is now, gentlemen.

Edit: But I'm still looking for evidence that these things really don't degrade the signal.

Huh... I just found out that the dude that makes the gscartsw also has one for component that's coming out. Once again, it's kind of rad to have something that can automatically switch between stuff. So I guess that's the PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and Wii taken care of, then, and then I'd pipe all that shit through the OSSC, too.

The future is now, gentlemen.

Edit: But I'm still looking for evidence that these things really don't degrade the signal.

You have an ossc. no need for ps2 component.

Danny Dudekisser

I'd love a component version.

Deetz are here: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/gcompsw-4-1-automatic-composite-component-switch.61829/

Sorry if I'm digging up super old news here -- I suspect I'm late to the party with this stuff, as usual.

Anyway, 4 inputs doesn't seem like a whole lot, but it's probably fine... depending on whether I ultimately use RGB or component for the PS2. Because I have a US and Japanese system, and if you combine that with the GC, Xbox, and Wii... well, that's 5. Which is > 4.

Galdelico

Well, fuck. Who was it that asked me to try the OSSC out on my computer monitor? I can't remember. But screw you -- now I want to hurry up and build that old-school setup I've been meaning to put together. I've got one of those G-sync monitors (Asus PG279Q, I think), and it's 1440p resolution. OSSC fuckin' loooovvvvves this thing.

Mg0MKOW.jpg

G89xA9b.jpg

wR8J2ou.jpg

I tried linetriple mode, but it really didn't seem to make a difference, outside of being brighter for some reason.

Gosh, looks incredible.
And your monitor can also be pivoted, for some tate goodness. I may actually upgrade my gaming monitor, instead of my TV, once I'll be able to buy an OSSC. My retro corner isn't that big, so a 27" screen could be perfect for its size.

Oh, and an afterthough about the OSSC. Since it's basically open source, do you guys think it's possible to add features like console-specific borders/background via firmware?

Khaz

Null-hypothesis, look for evidence that they do.

Signal degradation mainly happen in cheap cables, with wires intercepting interferences from inside and outside the cable, resulting in hiss and fuzz.

Khaz

Anyway, I'd totally buy a gaming grade monitor for old school gaming, except that they don't make any that are big enough... that I've seen. The 30"+ ones would be great if they weren't all that ultra-wide bullshit. Like that's not a gimmick if I've ever fucking seen one.

What's the size of your current screen? My 21 inches CRT screen is 40cm wide and 30cm high (total size is 50 by 50), which should be about the size of your current monitor, maybe slightly bigger in height judging by the keyboard. Mind you you'd have to sit further away or have it right in your face (making it look like even bigger) because of CRT depth.

Khaz

Deetz are here: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/gcompsw-4-1-automatic-composite-component-switch.61829/

Sorry if I'm digging up super old news here -- I suspect I'm late to the party with this stuff, as usual.

Anyway, 4 inputs doesn't seem like a whole lot, but it's probably fine... depending on whether I ultimately use RGB or component for the PS2. Because I have a US and Japanese system, and if you combine that with the GC, Xbox, and Wii... well, that's 5. Which is > 4.

I'm championing the Philips US2-PH61150 myself. It does everything that's planned for the gcompsw (save for upgrades), and it's already available and will probably cost much less, going by the price of the gscartsw.

Danny Dudekisser

Null-hypothesis, look for evidence that they do.

Signal degradation mainly happen in cheap cables, with wires intercepting interferences from inside and outside the cable, resulting in hiss and fuzz.

I guess maybe what I'm looking for is people with opinions one way or the other. Dunno how many of these are actually out in the wild yet, but I wanna hear people saying "yeah, this thing's giving me the same level of quality as if I went direct, and it's fucking rad."

What's the size of your current screen? My 21 inches CRT screen is 40cm wide and 30cm high (total size is 50 by 50), which should be about the size of your current monitor, maybe slightly bigger in height judging by the keyboard. Mind you you'd have to sit further away or have it right in your face (making it look like even bigger) because of CRT depth.

It's a 27", so 68.6cm diagonal. I don't remember trigonometry well enough to figure out the other sides.

I feel like a 35-37" 16:9 display would be perfect for what I'm trying to achieve here.

Kawika

Yeah I really wish he had 720p profiles, but I understand that it's a time sink and he's not interested in 720p.

I wish someone would pick up the mantel for that. I suck at dialing in my xrgb. If it wasn't for FBX's profiles I would probably just be using the auto features.

Rich!

Does anyone know if a mini din extension would work with the xrgb Mini? Having the scart input on the front is such a huge design fuckup. It's even on the fucking top when upright! Why?!

It should be at the back, switched with the sd slot.

New002

If you run on 720 and use some of the auto settings you don't really need extreme profiles. Set SYNC_MODE to AUTO, AUTO_SCALER to GAME (VIDEO for 480), and IMAGE_MODE to PICTURE (MOVIE/NATURAL for interlaced) and you're good.

Pardon my ignorance, but I decided to try these settings out and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the scan lines to display properly (evenly). I see what I can only describe as light banding across the image. So there will be, say, 10 darker lines, 10 lighter lines, 10 darker lines etc. It's subtle, but the difference is clear when I compare it to Firebird's 4x 1080p profile with scan lines on. For those more knowledgeable than I, is there a setting I can tweak to try and address this?

Thanks so much!

Danny Dudekisser

Hmmm... looking closer, there are quite a few 32" gaming monitors out there with none of the ultrawide nonsense. If I'm sitting approx. 4-5' away, is that big enough? I wanna be able to play RPGs without squinting at the text.

Definitely more of a challenge than just getting a TV, but easy tate-ing plus lower input lag justifies going that route. I think.

Pardon my ignorance, but I decided to try these settings out and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the scan lines to display properly (evenly). I see what I can only describe as light banding across the image. So there will be, say, 10 darker lines, 10 lighter lines, 10 darker lines etc. It's subtle, but the difference is clear when I compare it to Firebird's 4x 1080p profile with scan lines on. For those more knowledgeable than I, is there a setting I can tweak to try and address this?

Thanks so much!

Are you also running the aspect ratio at standard and have overscan off on your tv? Other than that I can't think of anything that would cause that.

Peltz

What problems with the Hama and Bandridge??? I have only heard of some Hama clones and other mo-name crap switches having problems. I got three Bandridge switches for a total of $110, so actually a lot less than the gscart. Last I checked they're still out there for such low-ish prices. I'm not trying to crap on the gscart either, it's a nice product, just wishing to clear up some things.

Regarding daisy chaining, you can connect three good switches with no signal degradation. Past that it may be a minor decrease.
My bandridge degrades the signal significantly last I checked. Caused popping noises as well.

And that's with all the more exoensive shielded coax cables from retro console accessories on eBay. I seem to be the only person who experienced this though so maybe I have a bad unit.

Peltz

Does anyone know if a mini din extension would work with the xrgb Mini? Having the scart input on the front is such a huge design fuckup. It's even on the fucking top when upright! Why?!

It should be at the back, switched with the sd slot.
Super dumb design. Not sure who thought it was a good idea to do that.

Why not a SCART extension? It's probably much more common.

My bandridge degrades the signal significantly last I checked. Caused popping noises as well.

And that's with all the more exoensive shielded coax cables from retro console accessories on eBay. I seem to be the only person who experienced this though so maybe I have a bad unit.

Powered or non powered version?

Lettuce

Must admit ive never notice any signal degrade with my Bandridge....did you have the manual version or auto switching one?

New002

Are you also running the aspect ratio at standard and have overscan off on your tv? Other than that I can't think of anything that would cause that.

Running the framemeister and TV at 4:3. Since I've got the framemeister outputting 720p I can't select "Full Pixel" on my TV since it's not my set's native resolution (1080p set). Best I can do is "Normal".

BTails

Non powered.

P.S. Baphomet still hasn't got back to me. I feel like the ugly girl at the prom that no one wants to dance with :-(

I wouldn't worry, Peltz. I've been dealing with him for my AC Famicom mod and he's been phenomenal, however I think his work schedule keeps him away from email/GAF for days at a time.

Mega

Banned
Hmmm... looking closer, there are quite a few 32" gaming monitors out there with none of the ultrawide nonsense. If I'm sitting approx. 4-5' away, is that big enough? I wanna be able to play RPGs without squinting at the text.

Definitely more of a challenge than just getting a TV, but easy tate-ing plus lower input lag justifies going that route. I think.

I think that's plenty large enough. I have a 32" 720p TV stored away now, and that was my main gaming displays for years before upgrading. I probably sat 5-6 feet back and never had problems, never wished that I was using a bigger screen.

Lettuce

I think that's plenty large enough. I have a 32" 720p TV stored away now, and that was my main gaming displays for years before upgrading. I probably sat 5-6 feet back and never had problems, never wished that I was using a bigger screen.

I always was under the impression once you started getting over 25" the picture quality started degrading the large the CRT screen got!?....but 32" you must need like 4 people to move that sucker!

Peltz

i want to live in a world where the like dozen systems i have hooked up & over RGB/modded for region/etc are a symbol of my casual and softcore approach to retro gaming, haha

I mean... You only have one or two CRTs if I recall correctly... That's like 20 less CRTs than Mega...

(You filthy causual)

IrishNinja

I mean... You only have one or two CRTs if I recall correctly... That's like 20 less CRTs than Mega...

(You filthy causual)

hah! and no actual SMS, neo-geo, MAME etc setups to speak of...i might as well be doing YT videos about how Turtles in Time is a hidden gem *sobs*

real talk though, when i put my collection up, i had like 30 turbo games and was basically called a dirty causal in that thread for not having more, haha

Danny Dudekisser

That's good to hear. So let's see... if I'm displaying a 4:3 image on a 32" display, that's like using... what size TV? A 21"?

Peltz

What's the Chrono Cross test?

Does your Asus have an internal scaler? My Acer is an older model and doesn't have HDMI in or an internal scaler.

Chrono Cross has 480i menus and 240p gameplay/cinematics.

The Framemeister usually needs like 7-10 seconds to transition into and out of the menu as it adjusts and re-handshakes with your HDTV.

It's one of the biggest weaknesses of the device.

Timu

Chrono Cross has 480i menus and 240p gameplay/cinematics.

The Framemeister usually needs like 7-10 seconds to transition into and out of the menu as it adjusts and re-handshakes with your HDTV.

It's one of the biggest weaknesses of the device.
It's also an issue with capture cards depending on the program used. However Streamcatcher can actually capture 480i and 240p switching way better than a Framemeister ever could as it only takes like 2-3 seconds to sync in again so it's not even a huge deal.

Madao

the only resolution changing game i own on n64 is Majora's Mask (it does that when you check the bomer's notebook.)

thankfully it's only in the menu that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom