• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1440p Gsync panel only has a display port and no internal scaler.

VgXCk.gif

Get an adapter?

Edit: Fuck I missed half a post again. No internal scaler... how is this a thing?

Grief.exe

Get an adapter?

Edit: Fuck I missed half a post again. No internal scaler... how is this a thing?

Just a monitor built for a specific purpose. Adding in an upscaler and HDMI port would increase the cost, as the Gsync module is not compatible with HDMI and relies on the GPU to upscale.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I haven't noticed this flashing. Is it all models or some of the older models. I have seen some of those high refresh rate monitors doing that trick but I haven't noticed this at all on my monitor. I wonder if this is a IPS vs TN difference.

No idea if it's a TN vs. IPS difference, though I will note that the TN gsync I had was straight up junk. Whatever the original Asus one was. TN panels are the absolute worst, and it was so bad that on a bigger screen like that, you literally couldn't look at the screen and not have either the top or bottom of it be washed out. Also, no HDMI. I sent it back.

Peagles

Isn't the flashing caused by the optional strobing or black frame insertion that eliminates eye-induced motion blur? Just a guess.

I could be wrong but I don't think every sync monitor does it.

I can't remember the tech reason behind it, but every gysync monitor in the store did the same thing, that's how we were able to return the one we bought. Convinced them by replicating it there on the other gsync monitors, they initially were only going to accept the return minus a 30% restocking fee, ouch.

SOME-MIST

My setup has become quite comical now.
I like it tbh. I'm gonna be moving into a 2br apt next month where the 2nd room is gonna be dedicated to the cab/retro setup and gf's art desk and I hope I can get it to look near what you have. for the time being it's gonna be bear bones with monitor stacked on monitor.

I just want to add that 4K is bullshit (say it in Master Ken's voice). 1440p should have been the next jump. I have no idea why consumer electronics aren't catering to the needs of many gamers. None native rez, poor input lag, poor handling of legacy content. As far as I am concerned I would rather just play games on a smaller high end monitor than on a huge crappy tv.

4K makes sense for feature film content, and other things. Plus 4k is a perfect 3x (in both dimensions) scale from 720p and a perfect 2x scale (again in both dimensions) from 1080p. Plus most 4K tv sets have better input lag than the 1080p sets. Video scalers being put in sets have only improved over the years and most 4K sets handle 480p content pretty well. 240p depends on the brand of tv, Samsung is one of the better supporters of it. Though to be fair 240p was never a real standard and was more of a hack that worked.

1440p is a baby half step. Sure it's 2x of 720p but its a 1.3x scale from 1080p.

(and by 4k I mean UHD 3840 x 2160 )

I like it tbh. I'm gonna be moving into a 2br apt next month where the 2nd room is gonna be dedicated to the cab/retro setup and gf's art desk and I hope I can get it to look near what you have. for the time being it's gonna be bear bones with monitor stacked on monitor.

Thanks man. I like my apartment to feel more lived in and personable than the "cleaner" setups I've seen around the game setup threads.

Khaz

(and by 4k I mean UHD 3840 x 2160 )

And 9x from 240p, which is great for us. Upscalers of the future will be able to output a super clean image out of 240p. With a 9x9 square (81 pixels) to make one pixel, you have plenty of space to make accuracy tweaks like subpixels, beam shape and halos. The granularity on he horizontal axis also means that we will get pixels reproduced at the correct aspect ratio! No more square pixels!

480 is the only resolution left out now, with non-integer 4.5x scale. Bring it on 8K displays! (or whatever is the double of 4K)

D.Lo

And 9x from 240p, which is great for us. Upscalers of the future will be able to output a super clean image out of 240p. With a 9x9 square (81 pixels) to make one pixel, you have plenty of space to make accuracy tweaks like subpixels, beam shape and halos. The granularity on he horizontal axis also means that we will get pixels reproduced at the correct aspect ratio! No more square pixels!

480 is the only resolution left out now, with non-integer 4.5x scale. Bring it on 8K displays! (or whatever is the double of 4K)
480 can just be integer scaled with some small borders.

Grief.exe

That's going to be a clean image.

Mega

Banned
Cross-posting from the AVS thread. For a little background, I'm trying to clarify why the AVS's max 720p output is a bit of a problem.

So these criticisms exist, but you'd suppose he'd already have tested on the 1080 tv, maybe even a 4k tv. No way it'll look as nasty as that blurry Megaman, and if it does, you have to wonder why this information wasn't brought to his attention before long before production.

I tried it myself in Photoshop. Keep in mind the "AVS" examples are just theoretical until people actually get the console and see for themselves.

dre5gjv.png

I downloaded a MMX sprite, confirming its the native size, and scaled it several different sizes with bilinear or nearest neighbor filtering.

Bilinear scaling from 240p does actually yield similar results to that blurry Mega Man, but this isn't accurate because the AVS is starting from a clear 720p output. So disregard the 3X Bilinear and 4X Bilinear images... they're more representative of what the 240p NESRGB would look like on a HDTV without the aid of XRGB or OSSC.

So starting from the clean 3x Nearest upscale representative of AVS at 720p, I rescaled it to the 1080p and 4K equivalents with bilinear filtering (common for the internal scalers in most displays). 1080p is subtly but still noticeably blurry. 4K is very blurry, though thankfully not as bad as I initially suspected. But it's important to remember that these are best case scenarios... Photoshop has excellent resizing capabilities whereas your TV's scaler may not.

I did receive the Hi-Def NES yesterday and did a quick comparison on my 1080p Panasonic plasma. Games in 720p scaled to 1080p are a little blurry, resembling the theoretical AVS 720p to1080p example in the picture above. Hi-Def NES at 1080p (4x integer scale) is pixel-perfect sharp... also like in the above pictured example.

The 4K upscaler image is a just-for-fun example of a future 4K-capable Framemeister or a 4K display with an excellent internal scaler.

Peltz

Seeing the original size of the sprite really reinforces just how good pixel artists were back then. They really made a lot of gorgeous games within such tight constraints.

I picked up a Wii today and I have a RGB cable for it ordered. I installed Homebrew and Retroarch which was suggested here.

Kinda bumping into an issue with it however. I posted about it in the retroarch thread here. Thought I'd crosspost as people here are familiar with retroarch on the Wii.

EDIT: I got it to work by using a older build.

So now that it works, does anyone know what the correct video settings I should use for 240p content?

Galdelico

OSSC can't get its line-4x and line-5x modes soon enough. Show them 4K overlords wassup.
Could you recommend a good monitor, to be used basically as an OSSC display (and maybe for some occasional PS3/360 gaming too), that ain't an 800 euros beast, like the newest 4K Asus models? I mean, does it make any sense to buy something cheaper for that purpose? I was wondering if something that is line-triple-ready, can be pivoted, and doesn't add any (or very little) lag, would be solid enough.

Could you recommend a good monitor, to be used basically as an OSSC display (and maybe for some occasional PS3/360 gaming too), that ain't an 800 euros beast, like the newest 4K Asus models? I mean, does it make any sense to buy something cheaper for that purpose? I was wondering if something that is line-triple-ready, can be pivoted, and doesn't add any (or very little) lag, would be solid enough.
Might browse through shmups and the vgp forums to look at what displays are working for people. In theory, a 480p display is probably the best but that's not readily available these days. Most computer monitors should be pretty decent with the ossc, really.

Hopefully can find that one 4K set eventually they has a nearest neighbor scaling mode.

I can't imagine buying a set based on that single criteria, it's a major purchase.

Scaling should be done prior to the TV. That's the bottom line. Then the set you use it with doesn't matter.

There will be so much cool hardware released over the next two or three years. 4K OSSCs and the like are inevitable.

televator

who are you?

I'm the thread perpetual noob. I come in here every 2 weeks asking "Guise, how do i maek scanlines? Is the Adam Koralik scaler the best... thing?"

Remember?

Edit: Did I miss any high level nerd conversations in the last couple weeks? Please do let me know guys. I cant sleep well thinking that i might have missed anything super cool in this thread. :p

Peagles

I'm the thread perpetual noob. I come in here every 2 weeks asking "Guise, how do i maek scanlines? Is the Adam Koralik scaler the best... thing?"

Remember?

Edit: Did I miss any high level nerd conversations in the last couple weeks? Please do let me know guys. I cant sleep well thinking that i might have missed anything super cool in this thread. :p

I ain't never seen you before...
/Scruffy

Adam Koralik is now seen as the definitive voice in this thread. Figure it out.

That would be very terrible if it were true.

Galdelico

Might browse through shmups and the vgp forums to look at what displays are working for people. In theory, a 480p display is probably the best but that's not readily available these days. Most computer monitors should be pretty decent with the ossc, really.
I'll do that too, thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Peltz

I can't imagine buying a set based on that single criteria, it's a major purchase.

Scaling should be done prior to the TV. That's the bottom line. Then the set you use it with doesn't matter.

There will be so much cool hardware released over the next two or three years. 4K OSSCs and the like are inevitable.

This sounds like solid advice for 240p. But so far I haven't seen any good external scalers that handle 480p as well as an HDTV.

Mega

Banned
I have internet at my new home, finally! I live again!

No smartphone?! I think like 80% of my time here is through my phone!

Hopefully can find that one 4K set eventually they has a nearest neighbor scaling mode.

Far as TVs go, that's not going to happen. Live broadcasts, movies and shows look better with a soft upscale. General public would 0/10 a TV giving their favorite content a pixelated look, which makes sense. I used to think nearest neighbor was useless and complete shit but that's because I was playing around with photos.

televator

No smartphone?! I think like 80% of my time here is through my phone!

Far as TVs go, that's not going to happen. Live broadcasts, movies and shows look better with a soft upscale. General public would 0/10 a TV giving their favorite content a pixelated look, which makes sense. I used to think nearest neighbor was useless and complete shit but that's because I was playing around with photos.

Nah, I had to downgrade to a dumbphone for the time being. My iphone wont be back up 'till my next pay day. I'd just put it all on a credit card, but I ran into issues with my old one that I'd like to resolve before opening up a new card.

Marqs said:
Firmware 0.72 is now out with the following updates:

* Some scanline rendering issues fixed
* Initial input option added
* Advanced timing tweaker added
* R/G/B gain/offset controls added
* Sync filtering improvements (should remove the need for sync LPF/external filters in many cases, and slightly improves NES/SNES compatibility)
Marqs said:
There's a lot of things that can be done with timing tweaker, but efficient use requires some knowledge of the source and underlying logic. Below are a couple examples which demonstrate the possibilities with compatible displays:

* DC aspect fix: 480p -> H. active = 640
* Saturn pixel-perfect 320x240: 240p_L3M2 -> H. samplerate = 427 -> phase adjustment
* CPS2 pixel-perfect: 240p_L3M2 -> H. samplerate = 512, H. active = 384, H. backporch = 66 -> phase adjustment
* N64 de-blur (untested): 240p_L3M2 -> H. samplerate = 387, H. synclen = 22, H. backporch = 22 -> phase adjustment

NOTE: modified parameters are not yet saved along with other settings. That will be implemented on the next fw with profile support.

Hey smart RGB-savy folks:

Is there any good place to get a simple Component to SCART adapter, like the one found in the bottom of this page: http://retrorgb.com/wiirgbvscomponent.html

I want to use it to get an NTSC Wii to work on a PVM. I already have a SCART to BNC adapter, and other SCART consoles hooked up.

I’ve checked amazon and ebay and can’t find anything.

I thought it's especially newb-friendly, as Chacranajxy reported many times about how well it worked, even with no tinkering, just out of the box.
His display is evidently very compatible. This is not going to be the case for everyone.

Regardless, the OSSC is actively in development and has a large waiting list. It's just not a device many newbies should be looking at right now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I thought it's especially newb-friendly, as Chacranajxy reported many times about how well it worked, even with no tinkering, just out of the box.

And I will reiterate: THE OSSC IS THE MOST NEWBIE-FRIENDLY THING OF THIS SORT.

At least, it has been on both of the displays I've tested it on. I haven't dicked around with the settings since the week I got it, and even then, it was only the requisite tinkering one does with a fancy new piece of kit. It just works, and that's rare with this sort of stuff..

Galdelico

I really hope we'll get a proper OT, maybe when the second and third batch of units will be out, and more gaffers will get the chance to grab one.

IrishNinja

so ya'll want an OT for every big upscaler, then?

also, i appreciate newb-friendly, but again, once you get the XRGB's firmware updated (which can revert it to english for you too), i think there's a scanline button and you're good. the tweaking is an option - and again, profiles are great - but ya'll really shouldn't make the min out to be a difficult thing to work with. it's not, or i'd have issues when i drink.

and i drink constantly

Einhandr

Just got my Shinybow SB-5525 in the mail today. Who knew how excited one could get over a SCART switch, but this thing has me HYPED!

The dual SCART output on this thing was the real selling point for me. I've decided that once I get my OSSC, I'll have one output running to that for my main display, and the other output to my scaler chain to a DVR for streaming/recording.

Now the only thing I need for my setup is a good power strip so I don't have to keep unplugging those damned power boxes, and a better set of 2.1 speakers.

Timu

Main reason I would want an OSSC besides deinterlacing PS2 games is for Dreamcast games as it has VGA unlike the Framemiester!!!

Main reason I would want an OSSC besides deinterlacing PS2 games is for Dreamcast games as it has VGA unlike the Framemiester!!!

OSSC doesn't do real deinterlacing. It just throws away half the information.

And the FM can do VGA over the SCART mini-din. Just buy a VGA to SCART cable. If you had the skill you could even make your VGA to mini-din cable, complete with the small circuit for HSYNC/VSYNC to CSYNC

Edit: The OSSC does simple bob deinterlacing which isn't "throwing away half the information" as I said above but treating each interlaced frame as a full 240p field, ignoring the offsetting. It looks terrible in practice.

Timu

OSSC doesn't do real deinterlacing. It just throws away half the information.

And the FM can do VGA over the SCART mini-din. Just buy a VGA to SCART cable. If you had the skill you could even make your VGA to mini-din cable, complete with the small circuit for HSYNC/VSYNC to CSYNC
Wow, this is very useful info, thanks for telling me this!!! So would something like this or this work?

is there a reason not to deinterlace with software in post? unless you're streaming, that should give you better quality anyway.
Edit: The OSSC does simple bob deinterlacing which isn't "throwing away half the information" as I said above but treating each interlaced frame as a full 240p field, ignoring the offsetting. It looks terrible in practice.
Actually, since it moves the fields somewhat closer together, it looks notably better than other bob deinterlacing I've seen. Not like the mini, but not total garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom