• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendelrt

^USB3HDCAP if you have USB 3.0 on your computer. It's about $40 cheaper for the same features and more convenient to use (external enclosure and portable). I read it's the same as the $350+ XCapture, except with a consolidated number of inputs and a lack of HDMI passthrough.

Good to know someone else saw the same thing :)
How do you get a scanline overlay in GroovyMame?

There are scanlines png files stored in the artwork folder in mame. After you run the groovymame -cc to create a new mame.ini file you can set the "effect" to the png you want to use. I have a scanline.png , scanline_dark.png , and a scanline_light.png I use, you can also overwrite the default mame.ini effect by using a game specific ini file or a game type ini file, like vertical.

For recording purposes the i5 is more than enough, but for converting videos with video editing programs the i7 is better, though the i5 should be good enough.
To be clear, it would basically be either recording, or recording and immediately streaming to Twitch or Hitbox. If I was gonna edit anything, that'd hop over to my desktop (which already has an OC'd i7-930).

purdobol

Speaking of groovymame. Is there a way to handle dither in that thing? Shader or something?

I'm using 31khz crt monitor with crt emu driver. Up to 400p runs at 120hz with black frame insertion. The picture is sharp, scrolling is smooth.

The only things that bother me is:
1. To thick scanlines. Which is understandable with hi-res crt.
2. Dither.

In retroarch there are anti-dither shaders that work most of the time quite well. Was wandering if mame have something similar.

Kawika

So i am trying to consolidate my hookups. I have a gwscart switch. It has 2 outputs 1 vga (which i intend to use vga to bnc cable to hook to my PVM) the other will feed into my xrgb.

I would like to do the same with my component stuff. I know there are some component switchers that have dual outputs. I am going to try to feed 1 to that switch and the other output I need to figure out how to get to my PVM.

Is it easier to get a 2 bnc switch for the pvm or convert my component to scart? (i am only using 240p and 480i signals from my component).

I am curious to know. I know the MLiG guys use a component to scart adapter and they feed that to their gwscart switch.

Mega

Banned
What do you think about this blog here about some of the issues and fixes with drivers?

http://www.thethrillness.com/2015/01/startech-usb3hdcap-review.html

I installed the modified driver linked in that blog. Haven't had any issues at all.

There are scanlines png files stored in the artwork folder in mame. After you run the groovymame -cc to create a new mame.ini file you can set the "effect" to the png you want to use. I have a scanline.png , scanline_dark.png , and a scanline_light.png I use, you can also overwrite the default mame.ini effect by using a game specific ini file or a game type ini file, like vertical.

Thanks, very useful to know!

Mega

Banned
I just purchased an Extron Crosspoint 450 Plus 88 for pretty cheap. What have I gotten myself into?

A world of hurt. The total number of Scart-to-BNC adapter cables you will need to make good use of it will make your wallet cry... assuming you have mostly RGB consoles with Scart cables. Composite, Component and split S-video are just cheap RCA-BNC adapters. And it can get tough to manage all the cables!

I would've gone for a 128 unit (12 inputs, 8 outputs). I have a Extron 450 Plus 124 hooked up. I got a Ultra 128 over a month ago and I can't get myself to hook it up despite the fact it would have come in useful today! (4-player Zelda FSA)

Get an audio switch unless you got a hold of the Extron audio adapters.

FdHg36Xl.jpg

A world of hurt. The total number of Scart-to-BNC adapter cables you will need to make good use of it will make your wallet cry... assuming you have mostly RGB consoles with Scart cables. Composite, Component and split S-video are just cheap RCA-BNC adapters. And it can get tough to manage all the cables!

I would've gone for a 128 unit (12 inputs, 8 outputs). I have a Extron 450 Plus 124 hooked up. I got a Ultra 128 over a month ago and I can't get myself to hook it up despite the fact it would have come in useful today! (4-player Zelda FSA)

Yeah, I mostly got it because it was cheap (only $25 plus some shipping) and because I wanted to consolidate everything into one box. Though I might daisy chain a Hama box for all my RGB consoles (just Genesis, SNES, and PS1) so that I don't have to get so many adapters. I'm still planning out how I'm gonna connect everything. Component stuff will be easy like you said, I don't have an RGB-modded N64 so I'm just doing S-Video for that.

I just saw that Retro Console Accessories is actually selling SNES and Genesis 2 RGB BNC cables (pretty expensive!), though, so that would cut out two adapters.

Edit: I actually saw some of your older posts about the Extrons when I was deciding whether or not to pull the gun.

Double edit: Thinking about it, it would actually just be cheaper to buy the console scart cables and the adapters than those direct console bnc cables. Especially since I already have a Genesis scart cable with csync.

Grief.exe

FdHg36Xl.jpg

LzAmDvc.gif

TeaJay

I plan to get a new capture card months from now, either a Startech USB3HDCAP or Startech PEXHDCAP60L. I wonder which to get.

I'm looking to capture/stream retro consoles (240p) so I guess the latter one - internal card - would be the right choice? I guess I'd need a sync strike and some form of RGB splitter too.

Or is there another similar card that would be better since I don't think I'll need 1080p?

Timu

I'm looking to capture/stream retro consoles (240p) so I guess the latter one - internal card - would be the right choice? I guess I'd need a sync strike and some form of RGB splitter too.

Or is there another similar card that would be better since I don't think I'll need 1080p?
That internal card is a perfect choice. And yes, you need a sync strike, I have one and it works flawlessly and you have to pick one up from arcade forge.

I got my hands on a well kept PAL SNES today. Going to get it 60Hz modded. Two questions: Are PAL SNES units compatible with RGB SCART? And any recommendations for who to contact to 60Hz mod the unit?

Rich!

I got my hands on a well kept PAL SNES today. Going to get it 60Hz modded. Two questions: Are PAL SNES units compatible with RGB SCART? And any recommendations for who to contact to 60Hz mod the unit?

You need a specific PAL scart cable for the snes. It's a unique situation. All other Nintendo consoles of all regions use the same NTSC scart cable but the pal snes requires different.

And it's an easy mod...I'm sure someone on GAF could hook you up

You need a specific PAL scart cable for the snes. It's a unique situation. All other Nintendo consoles of all regions use the same NTSC scart cable but the pal snes requires different.

And it's an easy mod...I'm sure someone on GAF could hook you up

Would this be the right one then?

dubc35

With the return of football season I've been playing some Tecmo Super Bowl on my PVM
via composite
. I wish NES RGB was as easy (and cheap) as buying a cable like SNES and Genesis. :(

With the return of football season I've been playing some Tecmo Super Bowl on my PVM
via composite
. I wish NES RGB was as easy (and cheap) as buying a cable like SNES and Genesis. :(

A hacked Wii is far cheaper than a NESRGB, it's the cheap entry point for high quality NES CRT gaming.

Yeah, VC NES is an emulator. But it's a very good one. Lag is very low, as evidenced by how playable Punch-Out!! is. Quick testing on the 240p test suite seems to indicate it's only about a frame slower than a real NES.

Sold a 19-inch JVC RGB monitor to GAFer PanopticBlue today. Felt great to know a monitor like that was going from storage to the home of a retro gamer. Also - first time I've met a GAFer in person after about a decade on this forum!

Rich!

Cheers, I'll order that soonish.

As for the mod, I found this place, but I've never heard of them so I'm not sure the quality of work.

No issue with robs work personally, I had a modded super Famicom from him years ago and it was great. I also got my recent Saturn mod chip from him too with no issues (installed myself of course)

orient

Neo Member
All these intense setups and I've only just started to hook up my Mega Drive through composite. In PAL land, I was still running my Dreamcast through RF. Dreamcast!

I just picked up a GBA SP for the first time without realising that the light/screens on the older models are...pretty terrible? Reflective and really washed out. I just played through Zero Mission on a DS Phat and it looked a 100x better on there than the SP. Will keep my eye out for a newer model, I guess.

Grief.exe

All these intense setups and I've only just started to hook up my Mega Drive through composite. In PAL land, I was still running my Dreamcast through RF. Dreamcast!

I just picked up a GBA SP for the first time without realising that the light/screens on the older models are...pretty terrible? Reflective and really washed out. I just played through Zero Mission on a DS Phat and it looked a 100x better on there than the SP. Will keep my eye out for a newer model, I guess.

Micro, SP 101, or backlight mod are your only three options.

Mihos

Gold Member
I really need a better scart switch box. I need something with more than 4 input ports. I am not super hyper sensitve on image quality, but really don't want to daisy chain switch boxes. Ebay has failed me, I am close to just building one myself.

Conezays

I really need a better scart switch box. I need something with more than 4 input ports. I am not super hyper sensitve on image quality, but really don't want to daisy chain switch boxes. Ebay has failed me, I am close to just building one myself.

Could do what I'm doing and order from the next batch of these:

http://retrorgb.com/gscartsw.html

After varying experiences with cheaper boxes, I figure I may as well just pay a premium to get something that works without interference and degradation, but also something that's future-proof for me as it has 8 inputs.

Mihos

Gold Member
Could do what I'm doing and order from the next batch of these:

http://retrorgb.com/gscartsw.html

After varying experiences with cheaper boxes, I figure I may as well just pay a premium to get something that works without interference and degradation, but also something that's future-proof for me as it has 8 inputs.

Actually, this looks perfect. Although it sounds like the wait will be excruciating, I have been looking for over a year off and on. Ordering now.
Thanks!

Edit: looks like it is mid cycle, I bookmarked it and will get in on the next batch. The price is pretty much exactly what I thought it would be.

D.Lo

Aw yeah, made my own Super Cassette Vision RGB cable by (heavily) modifying a Neo Geo cable:

Pretty wild to play a 1984 console with native RGB out. Mostly has Sg1000/Colecovision level games, but with much much more solid (flicker free) sprite performance.

Could this be used to connect an XRGB from the RGsB out of a professional monitor?

You're better off getting a splitter or signal distributor, without amplification of the signal looped from the back of the PVM, the picture will be degraded.

I use this thing to route signal to my monitor and my capture box at the same time. It works perfectly. I even had it outputting to my main monitor as well as a dedicated TATE setup for a little while (until the TATE monitor pooped itself).

I was trying to route signal using a BNC-to-SCART cable output into the box and was getting no color due to insufficient signal power.

However, if that cable has the proper amplification, then it should work.

Is that a problem for daisy chained monitors also? Or is there something different about chaining the XRGB mini off of a monitor?

For what you want to achieve, it's probably fine, actually. Since you're not converting back to SCART, you don't have to worry about the amplification/voltage issue.

Probably jumped the gun on that one, my bad!

For what you want to achieve, it's probably fine, actually. Since you're not converting back to SCART, you don't have to worry about the amplification/voltage issue.

Probably jumped the gun on that one, my bad!
Ok, I'm totally ignorant on the state of the signal coming from those outputs so any information is useful. I remember seeing something about some monitors having image problems if you don't have another one daisy chained off, or have resistors on the outputs, but mine doesn't seem to have that problem.
I might not even try this, but I do have a monitor and an XRGB mini so when I saw that cable I just had the idea.

Actually, this looks perfect. Although it sounds like the wait will be excruciating, I have been looking for over a year off and on. Ordering now.
Thanks!

Edit: looks like it is mid cycle, I bookmarked it and will get in on the next batch. The price is pretty much exactly what I thought it would be.

Yah, I went to pull the trigger and got as far as Paypal, yet was told the pre-order is sold out. How did you determine they're mid-cycle?

edit: Dear god, how did I miss this:
A note on ordering: The switch is currently being sold by its creator, Superg. He plans on taking pre-orders until he has enough to place a large order from the manufacturer, then will close pre-orders until that order is complete. Then, the cycle will start again. If the switch says "out of stock", that means he's in the "order-placing" part of the cycle and you should check back in a few weeks. All questions and support should be posted in the forum:

Conezays

Yah, I went to pull the trigger and got as far as Paypal, yet was told the pre-order is sold out. How did you determine they're mid-cycle?

edit: Dear god, how did I miss this:

There actually were a remaining batch of 5 that went on sale just now. I managed to get one but they were sold out within 2-3 minutes tops.

Khaz

Guys if you are using a CRT monitor one your computers, have it at the highest frequency possible, like for 1600x1200 at 85Hz not 60Hz. I just switched and it felt like an epiphany, switching back now gives me headaches lol. That's especially true on blank static background, like an empty Office document. I was perfectly happy at 60Hz mind you, but switching back feels weird now.

In other news, Windows 10 is especially shitty at displaying non-native resolutions. Like my computer decided that 1600x1200 was the better resolution, and most lower resolutions are displayed in a 1600x1200 black frame. Some resolutions are spared, like 640x480 and 1024x768, but only if the refresh rate is set at 60Hz on the desktop. 320x200/640x400 and 800x600 are fucked up, which messes with quite a few older games.

I can't display DOSBox in its native resolution in fullscreen, I have to use the aspect ratio correction which adds some nasty interpolating lines to get from 400 to 480 vertically. I can use the 1600x1200 resolution, which is a nice 5/6 integer upscale so nothing is lost or added, but the image is way too sharp for my taste, a literal emulator bullshot. That old DOS computer can't get finished soon enough.

eEK!

Neo Member
Guys if you are using a CRT monitor one your computers, have it at the highest frequency possible, like for 1600x1200 at 85Hz not 60Hz. I just switched and it felt like an epiphany, switching back now gives me headaches lol. That's especially true on blank static background, like an empty Office document. I was perfectly happy at 60Hz mind you, but switching back feels weird now..

I can back you up on this one, my colleagues often complained of eye strain when using CRTs at less than 70Hz, which could usually be resolved by increasing the refresh rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom