• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

Wished people would sell SCART to RCA cables instead. Putting BNC ends on those cables is very unpractical and prevents you from using it with component switches and other non-PVM equipment, while RCA to BNC adapters are cheap and easy to find. I have a ton of these things I bought for 75 cents each.

SCART to RCA are a dime a dozen here, I've just ordered one to try out with some BNC adapters like I was talking about earlier in this thread, just to see if it works.

Blues1990

Question: This is regards to the Virtual Console games for my Wii/Wii U. Regardless of the game, whenever a character moves across the screen, it looks blurry & such, and I wonder if I should purchase component cables that could fix this problem. If so, what would you guys recommend?

Shining

Anyone tried out firmware 1.11 on the XRGB-Mini? From what i can tell there's something about improved "CLASSIC_MODE" and support for Korean language.

IrishNinja

^didn't even know it was out...how long's it been? ill have to check SHMUPS or somewhere to make sure there's no issues before installing.

This is probably old news, but this banbridge Scart switcher seems cheaper than I've seen on eBay prior:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400692093809#ht_10158wt_3613
It's about 65 bucks shipped to the US for a pair of them. 9 inputs sounds pretty sweet and should future proof me, so, I think I'll do that and offload the pair of Hama Scart boxes I got from Amazon.co.uk a couple of months ago. -_- I thought I was doing so good with getting those for 66 shipped, and then this happens. Ah well.

antibolo

Banned
This is probably old news, but this banbridge Scart switcher seems cheaper than I've seen on eBay prior:
It's about 65 bucks shipped to the US for a pair of them. 9 inputs sounds pretty sweet and should future proof me, so, I think I'll do that and offload the pair of Hama Scart boxes I got from Amazon.co.uk a couple of months ago. -_- I thought I was doing so good with getting those for 66 shipped, and then this happens. Ah well.

Nice, that's a better price than on amazon.co.uk. I think I'll buy a second one, I've been running out of RGB inputs for a while now, I started falling back to s-video on consoles that can do it.

Although I'm worried about potential signal loss from going through two levels of switches...

Nice, that's a better price than on amazon.co.uk. I think I'll buy a second one, I've been running out of RGB inputs for a while now, I started falling back to s-video on consoles that can do it.

Although I'm worried about potential signal loss from going through two levels of switches...
If it helps any, I didn't notice any signal loss from daisy chaining a second Hama to my first Hama. Though, I only went off what my eyes told me, not some official way of measuring signal degradation. I would assume if the bandbridge units are quality, which word of mouth would indicate, you'd probably be fine.

IrishNinja

nah, but my model has excellent RGB output vs others ive seen. what ive read of 1chips sounded interesting but not perfect or worth the trade for me.

God damn, I was just searching for that thing like yesterday. Doesn't come up if you search "Bandridge" at all.

Happen to have any links to the powered ones that switch to powered on systems automatically?

God damn, I was just searching for that thing like yesterday. Doesn't come up if you search "Bandridge" at all.

Happen to have any links to the powered ones that switch to powered on systems automatically?
I don't, but I also read that the ones that power on automatically can be spotty? I'm not 100% sure on that though.

And I know, it sucks that almost none of these sellers are labelling their listings. I tried finding Bandridge before, but couldn't find any, so I got the Hama's off of Amazon.co.uk. Then I searched for Scart selector and saw all of the ones with "Bandridge" on the side of the units. -_-

Also, one other thing-- I got a Belkin 12 outlet surge protector. I'm figuring me being in a modern home means my outlet I'm plugging it into is rated for 15-20 amps. Between the PVM, AVR, and all of the systems plugged in, would I be fine? The power draw for the systems won't be 800mah-1000mah when I have them turned off, right?

televator

I have enough madness in my head about RGB. Im not going to split hairs on good RGB Vs. better RGB. I'm just glad to be liberated from composhit. lol

And I know, it sucks that almost none of these sellers are labelling their listings. I tried finding Bandridge before, but couldn't find any, so I got the Hama's off of Amazon.co.uk. Then I searched for Scart selector and saw all of the ones with "Bandridge" on the side of the units. -_-

Worst thing is that it is only "Scart selector" that comes up with that result, any other word combo doesn't seem like it gets it.

Hey guys, tested my XRGB-mini and I'm loving the shit out of this thing but there's one problem, my NES isn't displaying any video at all but its outputting sound.

I've been doing some reading and I think it's because I bought the sync booster cable (mini rgb in adapter from retro cable accesories), so I was thinking of picking up the passive adapter from them to see if that would work. What experiences do you guys have with working an NES on a framemeister? I also tried adjusting sync levels from the framemeister, to the point where I got video but it looked horrible and was unplayable.

They also released this but I dunno if it's gonna help me or not.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Micomsoft-XR...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ed1a3c1ce

Bought, too cheap to pass up. Thanks for the tip!

Adam Blue

If you don't mind, just need some confirmation on something.

Just got a nice Trinitron CRT recently. For my Genesis, all I'd need is a Genesis Scart cable to a scart-component adapter, and the component adapter would just plug into the component ports of my CRT? Seems a bit simple is all.

I wanna do this with all my retro systems, just starting with Gensis.

And to veer off topic a bit, how much difference does it make to use a BVM over a Trinitron? With so much bvm/pvm talk, I feel like I need the best...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hey guys, tested my XRGB-mini and I'm loving the shit out of this thing but there's one problem, my NES isn't displaying any video at all but its outputting sound.

I've been doing some reading and I think it's because I bought the sync booster cable (mini rgb in adapter from retro cable accesories), so I was thinking of picking up the passive adapter from them to see if that would work. What experiences do you guys have with working an NES on a framemeister? I also tried adjusting sync levels from the framemeister, to the point where I got video but it looked horrible and was unplayable.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Micomsoft-XR...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ed1a3c1ce
What type of video cable are you using with the NES, and what, if any, mods have been done to the system?

IrishNinja

i don't know what that cable does...wait is it the one that goes into the unit itself for EU SCART use? can't be, you'd not have any of her cables running without it.

and yeah, did you mod your unit, and if so, how? I have the mod from the SHMUPs guy (baphomet did amazing work, again) and have zero issues on my mini.

Go319

Hi Dreamcast Retro-GAF,

I have been trying for days to get my DC to connect to my TV via my XRGB-Mini.

Here is what I have as far as connections go:

yDPkqH2.jpg
1x VGA to Component cable

1x Hanzo VGA & Scanliner box

XRGB Mini

This is the TV I am using: Sony KDL-55W800A

I am getting no signal whatsoever and I have tried countless settings and online tutorials. So i need a hand here guys, according to the sites i have read the cables etc., I have should be giving me a picture. But nada.

I tried plugging directly into a PC monitor and I get a great picture except it displays in a purple hue.

Anyway, I would like to get it running on the TV not a PC monitor...so do i need to buy more adaptors and cables? Do I need to boot the DC up in a specific manner?

Anyone else have the same set up and have it running, I'd appreciate any assistance.

Dwayne

Do you get video from the component cables going directly into a TV? Guessing you're getting sound with the setup yeah?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I've often run into weird issues with certain console/cable combinations that should work.

For Dreamcast I ended up going with VGA to HDMI. Some folks recommended against that but the results perfect in 2:1 pixel mode. Very sharp and clean. Cleaner than Xbox 480p output over component even.

baphomet

The passive adapter should work if everything on the nes is wired correctly. If it doesn't have the +5v wired it won't power the lm1881 and you won't get a picture. Definitely get the passive and just get rid of the one with the sync booster. Those things cause more problems than anything.

Nes will work beautifully with the mini though.

Mobius1

Hi folks, I just picked up a PVM 1954Q and I want to get RGB from my PS2 slim. As I understand it I need to get a SCART cable and then I need a SCART to RGB adapter. I'm looking at retrogamingcables and there are several different options of adapter, depending on the type of PVM you're using. How do I figure out which one I need?

Peagles

Hi folks, I just picked up a PVM 1954Q and I want to get RGB from my PS2 slim. As I understand it I need to get a SCART cable and then I need a SCART to RGB adapter. I'm looking at retrogamingcables and there are several different options of adapter, depending on the type of PVM you're using. How do I figure out which one I need?

Judging by images of the inputs; this one http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

You can get a male end one too but I'd just get female, then you can plug straight in to the PS2, or use a SCART cable later to extend to a switch.

Someone might be able to shed more light on the more expensive sync cleaner version, but I have no experience with it.

Mobius1

Someone might be able to shed more light on the more expensive sync cleaner version, but I have no experience with it.

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah I'm also wondering which is the best type of sync. That sync cleaner version says it 'converts composite video sync to pure sync' with the sync stripper. I've read that most of the PS2 SCART cables used composite sync (even the official Sony ones). But on ebay there's someone selling a SCART cable that has been modified to sync on luma and they claim it's better than composite sync. But a lot of people seem to think that the Sony SCART cables are the best.

Khaz

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah I'm also wondering which is the best type of sync. That sync cleaner version says it 'converts composite video sync to pure sync' with the sync stripper. I've read that most of the PS2 SCART cables used composite sync (even the official Sony ones). But on ebay there's someone selling a SCART cable that has been modified to sync on luma and they claim it's better than composite sync. But a lot of people seem to think that the Sony SCART cables are the best.

A Sync cleaner doesn't do anything to picture quality. It's useful to solver bigger problems like garbled screen or colour burst problems in composite, but Sync is not something you make tiny adjustments to. It works or it doesn't. If it works, you're fine, if it doesn't you don't have any picture to begin with.

[edit] If they claim that having Sync on luma is better than having Sync on Composite, it means their TV is messing with them. A Scart cable can supply Composite, S-Video, and RGB. Which is sent by the console and which is used by the TV depends on the TV. Something not well known is that most TV with more than one Scart input only have RGB capability on the first socket. The others can only use Composite and S-Video through Scart. And which signal is sent by the console is... You guessed it, defined by what carries Sync.

In other words, using a Scart cable with Sync on Composite on Scart1 input, you'll get splendid RGB. Use it on Scart2 input, you'll get crappy Composite. Now if you take a modified Scart cable and have Sync on Luma, You will have S-Video on Scart2 input. S-Video being better than Composite, you can then make the incorrect claim that moving Sync from Composite to Luma means a better RGB picture.

antibolo

Banned
You don't need a sync cleaner on a PVM, the signal processor already handles that. Unless you have one of those rare PVMs that can't sync with a composite signal for some reason. I remember seeing a list of such models online but I can't find it now.

The passive adapter should work if everything on the nes is wired correctly. If it doesn't have the +5v wired it won't power the lm1881 and you won't get a picture. Definitely get the passive and just get rid of the one with the sync booster. Those things cause more problems than anything.

Nes will work beautifully with the mini though.

Done, already bought but you know what... I've discovered another issue.

Has anyone else had this problem too?

SNES games look fantastic but chrono trigger for example causes the screen to shake and audio to distort when you talk to NPCs, I tried other games (FF5, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, FF2, FF3, Super Mario RPG, Illusion of Gaia), none of them shake the screen like Chrono Trigger did, please tell me there's a way to fix this.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
^ I do know that Chrono Trigger is one of those games that switches between 240p and 480i during gameplay. I'm not sure if it's related to your issue, but that's something I'd look into for other games to see if it produces similar effects.

--------------------------------------------------

Anyway, you know you've gone off the deep end once you're collecting complete sets of official AV cables for your systems.

wiicables.jpg

Pictured here is a complete set of Wii / Wii U cables, sans the official SCART cable, which would have been especially pointless to get considering that it's entirely incompatible with NTSC systems.

I even snagged official D-terminal cables for every console I have except the Gamecube, for reasons you can probably guess.

Dicer

Banned
So since I don't have the room or money right now to go whole hog on the upscaling thing I bought one of these...

641380377_o.jpg

got it in today, and surprise...doesn't work...audio sounds good but the image isn't holding and keeps jumping.

Tried with a PCE Duo-R and Genny Model 2....

Any thoughts or ideas should I try to tinker with it, or wait for China to send me another one?!!?

I will say the few times the image stayed still it did look nice.

antibolo

Banned
Why the hell would you even bother with an upscaler that only takes composite for input. I don't even see the point, is it because your display was a computer monitor that therefore did not have composite inputs?

televator

So since I don't have the room or money right now to go whole hog on the upscaling thing I bought one of these...

641380377_o.jpg

got it in today, and surprise...doesn't work...audio sounds good but the image isn't holding and keeps jumping.

Tried with a PCE Duo-R and Genny Model 2....

Any thoughts or ideas should I try to tinker with it, or wait for China to send me another one?!!?

I will say the few times the image stayed still it did look nice.

These upscalers, I would bet, are far worse than the internal upscaler inside your TV.

I would hope that people not waste their money on these crappy upscalers. Its starting to become a problem I'm seeing that people even recomend these things to other people simply under the assumption that because its HDMI and its upscaled it must be the best thing. Little do they realize that a raw image is actally better in some if not all ways, depending on the TV.

Dicer

Banned
These upscalers, I would bet, are far worse than the internal upscaler inside your TV.

I would hope that people not waste their money on these crappy upscalers. Its starting to become a problem I'm seeing that people even recomend these things to other people simply under the assumption that because its HDMI and its upscaled it must be the best thing. Little do they realize that a raw image is actally better in some if not all ways, depending on the TV.

It wasn't crazy expensive and I figured I'd give it a go....My systems aren't currently modded so it was the cheapest way to try and get a bit better image.

I wish I could drive & had more money right now. all of the postings I see are sooo far =(

anyone want to deliver a CRT with component to Toronto? i'll give you a coke, haha. i'll even give you TWO cokes. such a great deal. right? Kappa

Anyway, you know you've gone off the deep end once you're collecting complete sets of official AV cables for your systems.

wiicables.jpg

Pictured here is a complete set of Wii / Wii U cables, sans the official SCART cable, which would have been especially pointless to get considering that it's entirely incompatible with NTSC systems.

I even snagged official D-terminal cables for every console I have except the Gamecube, for reasons you can probably guess.

That's interesting. Are you going to do a comparison video?

baphomet

It wasn't crazy expensive and I figured I'd give it a go....My systems aren't currently modded so it was the cheapest way to try and get a bit better image.

That will more than likely gibe you a worse picture than just plugging the composite into your TV.

baphomet

Well vga doesn't carry component video signal at all so that cable is completely useless. Unless they're hiding a converter in the cable, which is highly unlikely.

If you want your DC running through your mini you'll need a sync combiner. Easiest one to get is the Kuro made by the same guy as the hanzo.

http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/wiicables.jpg[/img]

Good timing.

My GBS8220 scaler dislikes my PS2 and Wii component cables who are poorly shielded very much, I've been looking at ebay and the like and really don't know which brand to buy... Any recommendation?

PS2 specially, as official component cables seem to be a rarity.

televator

Good timing.

My GBS8220 scaler dislikes my PS2 and Wii component cables who are poorly shielded very much, I've been looking at ebay and the like and really don't know which brand to buy... Any recommendation?

PS2 specially, as official component cables seem to be a rarity.

Don't PS3 cables work for PS2? I used my old PS2 cables on my PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom