• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait, If you already have a Hanzo, a Kenzei is the sync combiner. I think I wrote that wrong. Same guy makes them though. I actually just got my Dreamcast running through my mini a few days back. Looks and works great.

Better than just running the DC straight to the TV?

Mobius1

Really helpful information, thanks to all

Edit: Checked around and guess I was mistaken, many BVMs and PVMs may require sync strippers for certain things so really would need the model of yours to know.

It's a PVM 1954Q. I'm looking at the manual, it has an EXT Sync selector which can be turned off, and it says "Keep this button in the off position to operate the monitor on the sync signal from the displayed video signal". It sounds like it should be ok without a stripper?

This is blatantly wrong, you should not use a sync stripper unless your target output really can't deal with a non pure sync signal. I have never used any sync stripper at all with my PVM.

You mentioned you use the retro_console_accessories cable. What BNC adapter do you use with it? Just wondering if the 'sync on luma' is compatible with the adapters from retrogamingcables.

HaL64

This is blatantly wrong, you should not use a sync stripper unless your target output really can't deal with a non pure sync signal. I have never used any sync stripper at all with my PVM.

I don't even know why retrogamingcables sells a SCART to BNC cable with a built-in sync stripper, that seems completely pointless, and can potentially cause you problems in the future if your source device does not provide a +5V power input (ie. NTSC Saturn). Do not buy that!

Some PVMs require pure sync. For instance, my 2950Q will not sync without a pure sync signal. It does not like composite sync. My 2030 however deals with composite sync fine.

Also I heard that the xrgb produce a better picture if given a pure sync. I don't understand why this would be.

Also an lm1881 (sync stripper) also boosts the signal along with stripping the sync. This is very important for some consoles which do not output a very strong sync (like the Genesis2/32x).

So that's why they make those cables like that.

But yes I agree not having the +5V can be a problem. I added a power supply to my scart switch and mounted the sync stripper inside of it to make sure that it always got +5V. :)

The screen black-outs during a resolution change and shaking is a really big issue, I'm surprised barely any people here complained about it. Is there no way to fix this problem?

Voliko

The screen black-outs during a resolution change and shaking is a really big issue, I'm surprised barely any people here complained about it. Is there no way to fix this problem?
Eh, the slow resolution change is kind of annoying but it isn't that big of a deal outside of a handful of games that actively switch between resolutions like Chrono Cross. There is nothing that can fix it as of now...

Shaking though? I can't say I've experienced any outside of when testing a few composite signals.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Slight screen shaking is common for some processing modes when the source is interlaced. I haven't seen it otherwise, and on the games that I have seen it, it's usually pretty minor, as if there's just a 1-line shift back and forth on every frame.

The Framemeister is just bad at handling resolution changes. That's one reason why I went with an XRGB-3 instead. The drop-out just isn't as severe on VGA. It's not something that I think is a major drawback on the vast majority of games, but it would make a few of my games unplayable.

Madao

so, anyone here running a Wii with a Wii2HDMI + Framemeister combo? i just got a Wii2HDMI adapter from neoya (the ones that don't upscale and just convert the signal) and i'd like to know some settings for it since the settings i had already don't work well.
plus, how do people deal with the audio with this setup? just run extra wires from the adapter?

Bar81

No because JP21 is a mostly historical standard, it's basically the Japanese equivalent of EGA. Japan stopped using it a while ago. On the other hand SCART is still a relevant standard, Europe still puts SCART inputs on their TVs.

Are there Scart cables for the XBone and PS4?

Eh, the slow resolution change is kind of annoying but it isn't that big of a deal outside of a handful of games that actively switch between resolutions like Chrono Cross. There is nothing that can fix it as of now...

Shaking though? I can't say I've experienced any outside of when testing a few composite signals.

Chrono Trigger shakes like crazy, practically makes the game unplayable. Starting to feel buyers remorse because of this.

IrishNinja

Chrono Trigger shakes like crazy, practically makes the game unplayable. Starting to feel buyers remorse because of this.

The resolution issues were enough to stop me from buying the Mini, even though I really, really wanted one.

im gonna go boot up CT later tonight because you're sounding crazy, i don't recall shakes or anything like that. i was just playing SH1 and saw a short drop when loading the map but it's pretty far from a big deal, to each their own but man that's a weird dealbreaker right there.

IrishNinja

to follow up: ya'll are on that bullshit.

played a bit of Chrono Trigger, and while the battery's dead (;_;) there's zero res change or shaking. Gay is either using a bad cable or playing the PSX version, the latter of which i feel is a bannable offense.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

played a bit of Chrono Trigger, and while the battery's dead (;_;) there's zero res change or shaking. Gay is either using a bad cable or playing the PSX version, the latter of which i feel is a bannable offense.

Co-signed. On all points.

The resolution issues were enough to stop me from buying the Mini, even though I really, really wanted one.

Chrono Cross is literally the only game I've encountered that has that issue. So incredibly few games switch resolution mid game.

Rizzi

What would a good way of getting PS2 games looking good on my LED tv?
I've got it plugged in via component. Preferably without spending a whole bunch if possible.

IrishNinja

well, do you have the official 1st party component or which one exactly? cause having used a few, i saw widely different results on my plasma before settling on RGB.

Sixfortyfive

Chrono Cross is literally the only game I've encountered that has that issue. So incredibly few games switch resolution mid game.
Saturn Bomberman 10-player mode is the best reason to have a Saturn hooked up, and it would have this issue. Virtua Fighter 2 and Sonic 2 VS do as well, although in all fairness there's not many instances where I'd bust them out. But then even random obscure shit I'm looking to pick up for fighting game events like Elan Doree would apparently even have this problem.

It's common enough to be an important consideration if you don't have a convenient alternate setup and need one processor to be able to handle everything.

I've got it plugged in via component. Preferably without spending a whole bunch if possible.
If you're using good cables and the game you're playing has a progressive scan option, just turning that on should be enough. IMO, it isn't worth spending money on extra equipment to handle 480p games.

If most of your library is 240p/480i and you also want something for older systems, then it's a different case.

televator

Well, you already have component... unless you meant composite whch is totally different. Stick with component.

BocoDragon

Saturn Bomberman 10-player mode is the best reason to have a Saturn hooked up, and it would have this issue. Virtua Fighter 2 and Sonic 2 VS do as well, although in all fairness there's not many instances where I'd bust them out. But then even random obscure shit I'm looking to pick up for fighting game events like Elan Doree would apparently even have this problem.

It's common enough to be an important consideration if you don't have a convenient alternate setup and need one processor to be able to handle everything.

When you consider that lightgun games are already out the window too... I think it's fair to give up <0.5% of gaming's history for a nice setup... and if that bothers you, yeah, get an alternative setup to go with it. (and keep in mind, Chrono Cross will be fine to play on your PS3)

I'm seeking a PVM now, just so I have those kinds of options.

If you're using good cables and the game you're playing has a progressive scan option, just turning that on should be enough. IMO, it isn't worth spending money on extra equipment to handle 480p games.

If most of your library is 240p/480i and you also want something for older systems, then it's a different case.

Very few PS2 games are 480p.. You can really consider it a more or less 480i system.

So his TV's internal scaler probably does a sluggish job of de-interlacing the 480i image.

But yeah I'd still agree anyway: I'm not sure it's worth spending $400 for an upscaler just for 480i material anyway. It's not going to be night and day better. I'll bet you the main thing there is that PS2 games just don't look as good as we thought they looked back on SDTVs.

Getting a better cable might help though, as Irish says, if the issue is "muddiness" in the blacks.

Yes, an XRGB mini would clean it up, but you really buy that for the 240p consoles, and he said he didn't want to spend money anyway....

Calm down dude, seriously. I'm using SNES scart cables from retro accessories. Instead of calling us on our bullshit why don't you tell us any special settings you're using, anything to help? Seriously, I get the shakes and it's annoying as fuck. I have no idea how to fix it!

BocoDragon

Calm down dude, seriously. I'm using SNES scart cables from retro accessories. Instead of calling us on our bullshit why don't you tell us any special settings you're using, anything to help? Seriously, I get the shakes and it's annoying as fuck. I have no idea how to fix it!

Should be plug and play, no setting required. I have that very cable (the SCART version, and i think I got the one with some sort of good sync on it).

So try another SNES. Then if you still get shakes... contact retro accessories...

Sixfortyfive

People can't give you advice if they don't know exactly what you're using, though. Cables and adapters vary wildly.

That being said, there is some good general usage knowledge here:
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB_Wiki

IrishNinja

you don't understand. people playing the PSX version of Chrono Trigger is right up there with apartheid.

really though, any XRGB settings i used were just to sharpen the picture, if you're not getting shakes on other systems i'm really assuming it's your cable, man. retro does good work but that doesn't sound right, are your pins in any way bent or misaligned? i don't recall there being more than 1 type of SNES RGB cable that she made; matter of fact i wanna say it works fine on the N64 too.

is CT the only game giving you this effect?

Ban Puncher

I plugged two different SNES consoles into my Framemeister and fired up Chrono Trigger. No shaking on either.

I had another SNES that was exhibiting strange video problems (missing graphics, sync issues etc) with games a while back but I used it for parts so can't test that. Try another machine if possible.

BocoDragon

you don't understand. people playing the PSX version of Chrono Trigger is right up there with apartheid.

That's offensive!
Apartheid is not nearly as bad as PS2 CT!

I like some of the FMVs and the music in the Omake mode, tho :)

i don't recall there being more than 1 type of SNES RGB cable that she made; matter of fact i wanna say it works fine on the N64 too.

I remember at one time she sold two... one was just a standard SCART cable and one was with a "Sync Boost" or something, which she said helped on certain PVMs and maybe the Framemeister itself. I got that one to err on the side of caution. I may have coached you to buy that one last year too... don't remember.

really though, any XRGB settings i used were just to sharpen the picture, if you're not getting shakes on other systems i'm really assuming it's your cable, man. retro does good work but that doesn't sound right, are your pins in any way bent or misaligned? i don't recall there being more than 1 type of SNES RGB cable that she made; matter of fact i wanna say it works fine on the N64 too.

is CT the only game giving you this effect?

Just to be clear, I might have failed to mention that the game shakes during npc chat sequences only. Did you try that irishninja? My cable works fine with every other game as I've said earlier, although FF2 does a very brief millisecond black out when transitioning from town to world map, and DKC2 jerks at the world map sometimes. Haven't had a problem with 64 except with KI and Pokemon, with their blackouts but I read that's only natural cause the framemeister isn't great at transitioning between different resolutions.

D.Lo

XRGB MIni, RGB Modded Super Famicom Jr, Panasonic Plasma.

IMG_6129_zps2037dad4.jpg

It's like some kind of joke how good it looks. RGB SFJ - highly recommended.

IrishNinja

^lookin' sharp!

Just to be clear, I might have failed to mention that the game shakes during npc chat sequences only. Did you try that irishninja?

...huh. i only dicked around in the millennial fair myself; can you give a specific NPC chat sequence you're getting this in? Maybe i can try to recreate that, at least the early ones, again since my stupid battery apparently died.

gonna play SimCity inna meantime, every few years i try (and fail) at a megalopolis and i gotta pull it off one day.

^lookin' sharp!

...huh. i only dicked around in the millennial fair myself; can you give a specific NPC chat sequence you're getting this in? Maybe i can try to recreate that, at least the early ones, again since my stupid battery apparently died.

gonna play SimCity inna meantime, every few years i try (and fail) at a megalopolis and i gotta pull it off one day.

I've been talking to literally everyone (mainly millennial fair).

Another thing to note, on S-Video the shaking did not happen... maybe my SCART cable is bad.

BocoDragon

Another thing to note, on S-Video the shaking did not happen... maybe my SCART cable is bad.

Well good... at least it's not your SNES or, worse, your CT cart!

Bar81

These guys make quality cables - retrogamingcables.co.uk I haven't gotten SFC cables form them (I purchased Nintendo originals) but I have been very impressed by their Neo and MD pack-a-punched cables (no longer available it seems).

Ban Puncher

You're using an XRGB Framemeister, right? Is the firmware up to date? And are you using a SCART cable or a JPN 21 Pin cable?

D.Lo

Does the SFJ somehow look better via RGB than a regular SFC?
Yes, far better. I moved from an original/early SFC to this, it's night and day. The 1chip SNES is better too, but still not as good. Video quality from RGB is something like:

Original SNES 5/10
1chip SNES (later models of the original design) 7.5/10
SNES Mini/SFC Jr RGB Modded 10/10

The 1chip can be modded to have almost as good video as the Jr as well apparently, by using an external RGB amplifier.

Lettuce

XRGB MIni, RGB Modded Super Famicom Jr, Panasonic Plasma.

It's like some kind of joke how good it looks. RGB SFJ - highly recommended.

Yeah i really want a SFJ but they are a stupid priced, the SNES Mini is better priced but not a massive amount. Where did you get yours from?

Bar81

Yes, far better. I moved from an original/early SFC to this, it's night and day. The 1chip SNES is better too, but still not as good. Video quality from RGB is something like:

Original SNES 5/10
1chip SNES (later models of the original design) 7.5/10
SNES Mini/SFC Jr RGB Modded 10/10

The 1chip can be modded to have almost as good video as the Jr as well apparently, by using an external RGB amplifier.

Interesting, thanks.

D.Lo

Yeah i really want a SFJ but they are a stupid priced, the SNES Mini is better priced but not a massive amount. Where did you get yours from?
Ebay, paid stupid price ;) Watch out and you can get one for $100ish delivered, mine was about that in the box with a controller.

Worth every penny though. It's truly amazing. It has a 'GBA/DS' feel to it somehow. Yoshi's Island looks like pixel heaven. Super Metroid has never looked so crisp, colourful and moody.

Lettuce

Ebay, paid stupid price ;) Watch out and you can get one for $100ish delivered, mine was about that in the box with a controller.

Worth every penny though. It's truly amazing. It has a 'GBA/DS' feel to it somehow. Yoshi's Island looks like pixel heaven. Super Metroid has never looked so crisp, colourful and moody.

Im in the UK, so no chance of me getting one for under $100 delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom