• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynd7

I'm getting there with my PVM, I think I've got a fairly good idea how to adjust things.

Can someone explain how I should set the H-Frequency? Does it matter as long as it's not obviously distorting? Also, another option that seems to do a similar thing is Video Phase, it seems to control the horizontal centering, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I picked mine up at a thrift shop. Really weird remote. Once I noticed that electroluminescent panel I knew I had to get haha. I never bothered programming it, but it worked with my trinitron CRT without doing anything, so I've kept it around.

Kindered spirit alert.
Those electroluminescent remotes were such a coveted item when I was like 12. I didn't care about the TVs they came with I just wanted dat remote.

Voliko

Alright, that was easy, apparently the service menu remembers the last variable you were on, haha!

So the variable you want to change is V BLANKING. There is a separate variable for 50Hz and 60Hz, but the one for 60Hz is variable #91 (I did not bother changing the 50Hz one as I don't have any 50Hz devices, so I don't know its number).

Start by booting up a device that does 240p and have it display on the screen, as the problem is less pronounced on a blank screen. Then increase the variable until the lines are completely hidden by the underscan. That's it.

Naturally this workaround does jack and shit for 16:9 mode since there is no vertical underscan to work with.
That did the trick, thanks.

Anyone have thoughts on the Sony Trinitron XBR model KV-32XBR200? Found one in the basement of my apartment building ready to go out with the trash. No idea if it works but considering hauling it up to my apartment to test. It's a BEAST so if it's crap I won't bother.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Not that all this PVM info is not interesting, but at this point wouldn't it make sense to split the thread ?
Personally, I think it make sense to keep them consolidated because they are directly related topics and its a pretty niche part of the hobby. Two threads with the half the traffic of this one would be a lot more stagnant. This is the Retro Gaming Done Right thread, which is an all encompassing title.

Well, my Game Gear is off to Baphomet's RGB Center For Consoles Who Can't Display Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, so I'm pretty pumped up for that. When I was a kid and had my Super Game Boy, I always thought it'd be so cool if Sega did something like that for Game Gear, but it never happened. So I'll be excited when this comes back to me in the mail.

IrishNinja

yeah, i think there's enough niche stuff here between PVM, CRT info & 645's unbridled passion for XRGB minis, haha - for real though, much of this thread was a reaction to people saying they hooked up their old systems and they looked like butt on modern displays, so if the proper alternatives get split off that might just get more confusing.

^and wasn't there some project to get Game Gear games playing on an SMS or am i remembering that wrong? might've been a fan effort. now i'm kind've wondering if an SMS everdrive could be worked to boot em.

televator

Well, my Game Gear is off to Baphomet's RGB Center For Consoles Who Can't Display Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, so I'm pretty pumped up for that. When I was a kid and had my Super Game Boy, I always thought it'd be so cool if Sega did something like that for Game Gear, but it never happened. So I'll be excited when this comes back to me in the mail.

What's he doing like an RGB out on it? Interesting.
89952-master-strokes-beard-gif-Kill-bdei.gif

Also on the other conversation, this is the "retro gaming done right" thread. How could it be that witout CRT talk?

Jamix012

So, I have a pseudo broken DVDO VP50 Upscaler. It was cheaper to buy a new one than to send it to DVDO for repairs, so I did.
When I say sort of broken, it basically just doesn't pass through any resolution of 480p or above (576i does work though). I also can't remember if it even successfully upscales to 1080p (it did to 720p.)

Is anyone interested in buying this (without power cables)? It'd basically be for parts.
won't guarantee any functionality, but that's what it was capable of when I last tested it. (IE 240p, 480i, 576i an upscale to 720p but not much else)

Khaz

^and wasn't there some project to get Game Gear games playing on an SMS or am i remembering that wrong? might've been a fan effort. now i'm kind've wondering if an SMS everdrive could be worked to boot em.

Nope, GG on SMS is impossible unless you tweak the rom, mainly because of the palette size but also minor stuff like screen size, button mapping, etc.

What people may have done is put a Game Gear in a SMS shell and give it a Master System cartridge connector. Then they could have repurposed the GG connector and made an adapter out of it. It would be a cool project and something I'd love to do. Maybe some day when I'll have enough time and money to spend.

IrishNinja

ah right right, forgot those differences in the hardware! theoretically couldn't an emulator for GG on SMS exist & just run with the colors on hand? res would be wonky & lack of a start button would be a thing but...i could play Defender of Oasis on an SMS, how cool is that?!

so i found a used xrgb-3 for $250 plus shipping. and i've got a SCART to HDMI converter coming, plus RGB cables for my sega genesis and snes

systems are: snes, genesis, n64
i also have a ps2/wii that might get hooked up to it as well, but ive read the 480i upscaling on the xrgb-3 is awful. i probably wont bother rgb modding my nes as its too much $$

will an xrgb-3 do everything i need to for a sega genesis, snes and n64? or should i save and get a frame meister instead (i'd use the SCART to HDMI converter in the mean time if i go that route)

Kobiekun

so i found a used xrgb-3 for $250 plus shipping. and i've got a SCART to HDMI converter coming, plus RGB cables for my sega genesis and snes

systems are: snes, genesis, n64
i also have a ps2/wii that might get hooked up to it as well, but ive read the 480i upscaling on the xrgb-3 is awful. i probably wont bother rgb modding my nes as its too much $$

will an xrgb-3 do everything i need to for a sega genesis, snes and n64? or should i save and get a frame meister instead (i'd use the SCART to HDMI converter in the mean time if i go that route)

I don't recall any issues with the XRGB-3 and the three systems you mentioned. If you don't plan to add to that list of systems later, I would say you'll be okay. I would still recommend the Framemeister because of its HDMI output (assuming you're using a modern display) and overall ease-of-use; it's much more of a plug and play device than the XRGB-3 ever was.

be aware, N64s must be modded for RGB, and not all models support it.

yup im aware, thanks though! i have two of them and am hoping one of them can be modded. if not i'll buy a pre-modded one, looks like they aren't too expensive

I don't recall any issues with the XRGB-3 and the three systems you mentioned. If you don't plan to add to that list of systems later, I would say you'll be okay. I would still recommend the Framemeister because of its HDMI output (assuming you're using a modern display) and overall ease-of-use; it's much more of a plug and play device than the XRGB-3 ever was.

thanks, thats what i was thinking. i guess i didnt want to buy the xrgb-3 and then regret not getting the mini later, so i'll just make due with the lekeng for now and do it proper in a few months

baphomet

Best way to tell if you're systems are rgb moddable is the serial. If it begins with NS180 or below its moddable. I've got plenty of premods for sale, or if either of yours can be modded I have plenty of parts to do them.

Best way to tell if you're systems are rgb moddable is the serial. If it begins with NS180 or below its moddable. I've got plenty of premods for sale, or if either of yours can be modded I have plenty of parts to do them.

NS600 and NS608

i was reading a guide that said you needed to open it up to see if it was moddable?
http://retrorgb.com/n64rgbcompatible.html

is that not accurate? or is anything higher then 108 rarely compatible?

Madao

one thing that i'm still a bit unsure about input lag is how is it calculated? do i just add up the lag from each of the devices i have connected?

example:

to play N64 on my HDTV, this would be the lag it encounters on the way:

1. the Framemeister (24 ms)
2. the HDTV lag (26 ms) (not sure about this one but models very close to mine have that number)

that'd produce a total of 50ms (about 3 frames)

is there extra lag to account for of is that all of it? the Framemeister outputs at the hDTV's native resolution (1080p) so there shouldn't be extra lag there and i'm using an RGB N64. i'm also using Game Mode on the TV.

for Wii i have 2 paths that lead to the HDTV.
path 1 is the same as the N64 path.
path 2 is Wii -> Receiver (Component) and then Receiver -> HDTV (HDMI) since it can pass 480p Component signals through HDMI (the TV's info says i'm seeing 480p when i do it like this)

i've tried some basic tests like moving the cursor and timing inputs in games and it seems path 2 is a little bit faster. that means the lag incurred by the conversion is under 24 ms, right?

should I hook up my PS2/Wii (for GameCube games) via component to my 720p HDTV or to a CRT? I'll be using my Wii U to play my Wii games, so the Wii part mainly concerns playing GameCube games. are there enough PS2/GameCube games that are 16:9 to hook it up to my HDTV? if not, then it seems like a CRT is the way to go. what do you guys think?

EDIT: oh, and what about Dreamcast via VGA? is it better to hook it up to a LCD or a CRT?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I have finally decided to start thinking about upscalers and RGB, but I dont know anything about this stuff, so I just wondered where I should start to inform myself before making a purchase. I want to be able to play all my retro consoles with good picture quality on my HD TV (and ditch my crt). So where do I start? What do I check?

So I have finally decided to start thinking about upscalers and RGB, but I dont know anything about this stuff, so I just wondered where I should start to inform myself before making a purchase. I want to be able to play all my retro consoles with good picture quality on my HD TV (and ditch my crt). So where do I start? What do I check?

The OP is a good place to start, and this link is invaluable
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
- What consoles are you planning to use?
- What's the model of your TV? What kind of inputs does it have (HDMI, component, VGA, other)? Can it handle 240p sources through component (this can be tested with an original Wii and certain VC games), and does that look OK on this particular TV? Does 480p content look decent enough to you on it, or is only native resolution content good enough for you?
- What do you value the most between picture clarity (good scaling), color accuracy, input lag, and user-friendliness?
- Are you working on a specific budget?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The OP is a good place to start, and this link is invaluable
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

- What consoles are you planning to use?
- What's the model of your TV? What kind of inputs does it have (HDMI, component, VGA, other)? Can it handle 240p sources through component (this can be tested with an original Wii and certain VC games), and does that look OK on this particular TV? Does 480p content look decent enough to you on it, or is only native resolution content good enough for you?
- What do you value the most between picture clarity (good scaling), color accuracy, input lag, and user-friendliness?
- Are you working on a specific budget?

Thanks, will start to read this stuff and find answers to these questions!

brainpann

Hey guys-need some help and opinions. I already have an XRGB unit for my LCD and a 19" Magnavox crt TV with component in, but Im not too happy with the crt TV. The horizontal is off and even after messing with the settings and going into service mode, I cant seem to get a picture that Im happy with.
Today, I came across a SONY PVM-1954Q on craigslist for 150.00.

Heres the ad:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pho/4468523777.html

Is this a good monitor? Is that a good price?

These are also available.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ele/4469170565.html

baphomet

I'd try and offer $75, and try to meet at or below $100.

Or offer like $150 on the 20'' bvm. Hell never get anywhere near $400 for them.

Just picked up a 20" BVM for $160 from a production studio here in Chicago. They told me they were firm on $200 until I walked in and negotiated it down. It's in fantastic shape with only 18,000 hours on it. Probably won't be able to hook it up until this weekend but I'm crazy pumped up. Will be looking to offload my '14" PVM if anyone in Chicago is looking. Pictures coming in the next few days...

HaL64

Just picked up a 20" BVM for $160 from a production studio here in Chicago. They told me they were firm on $200 until I walked in and negotiated it down. It's in fantastic shape with only 18,000 hours on it. Probably won't be able to hook it up until this weekend but I'm crazy pumped up. Will be looking to offload my '14" PVM if anyone in Chicago is looking. Pictures coming in the next few days...

Next step... 25".
Then 29"...

Don't get rid of your PVMs dude! Keep them. You will never know when you need one.
I now officially have 2 PVMs and a XM29. 1 for my workstation, 1 for gaming, 1 for backup (may make it a vertical shmup monitor).

Actually if you are in the Champaign area ever, I might take it off your hands, just to have a 14". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom