• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

Really? That's going to make things difficult for me :\

Well, what you're describing is exactly what I got (TV reacting somehow but no video or audio) and I fixed it by checking and fixing continuity between the PPU and NESRGB board. This was in a front loader, but it sounds like you have the same issue I had.

It's tricky, and frustrating, but you gotta keep at it cos the end result is worth it!

Lettuce

Damn i forgot what a splendid looking game Tiny Toon Adventures on the SNES is...

i95EQAEklMM2s.jpg

Khaz

I have two cables, and both display the same results.

EDIT: Actually, I was checking both cables out, and see if there was a difference, so there was a LOOOT of plugging and unplugging. Did I damage my TV?

Only you can tell. What's happening on your screen? try to make a lengthy description. Is it constant or happens once in a while? Does your TV work with other connectors? Composite, component... Does moving the cable in its socket (try both ends) change anything? Do you have another console and another TV (CRT or HD) to test which could be faulty?

so, i know that the vga box is considered the best way to connect a dreamcast. but whats the best way if i just wanted to connect it to the xrgb-mini? scart?

thanks!

Krejlooc

Banned
Is this the right topic for this? I just installed a scan doubler in my Amiga 1200 so that I can run it on a modern (lol, well, more modern) CRT computer monitor, and hot damn it looks great. Been playing Turrican 2 on the thing all morning.

so, i know that the vga box is considered the best way to connect a dreamcast. but whats the best way if i just wanted to connect it to the xrgb-mini? scart?

thanks!

RGB. Dreamcast outputs composite, s-video, RGB, and VGA. If you're not gonna go VGA, then RGB is the next best available video option.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You can get a sync combiner to hook a Dreamcast VGA box up to a Framemeister. I think the Kenzei is designed for that purpose.

TnK

Only you can tell. What's happening on your screen? try to make a lengthy description. Is it constant or happens once in a while? Does your TV work with other connectors? Composite, component... Does moving the cable in its socket (try both ends) change anything? Do you have another console and another TV (CRT or HD) to test which could be faulty?
What's happening on my screen is that there is some sort of flickering and image distortion. It happens once in a while, and is sometimes remedied when I turn the TV on and off. Other connectors like composite and component run without problems. Moving the cable in the socket needs checking, but using the cable on multiple consoles yields the same result. Hence, it is most probably from the S-video socket on the TV itself.
This thing happens rarely, but I am worried that something may happen to the TV in the long run, and CRT TVs are not easy to get where I am.

Something real annoying about playing ps1 games on an old crt is how they seem to fill different screen areas from game to game. Can be perfectly centered and fill the entire screen with no over scan, like with Tomba, but then have a permanent dead space of black at the bottom like a bunch of Square jrpgs. Then have a bunch of overscan on the top and bottom of some games, like Megaman Legends 1/2, or mix it up and have that happen for the beginning cut scenes and start menu on SOTN, but then have black bars at top and bottom of screen during gameplay. Know it is how the games were designed so it shouldn't really bother me that much, is just a funny thing that I never would have noticed when playing these games as a kid.

Sixfortyfive

^ After I got my modded NES back in the mail I had to do extra work to make sure that various visual quirks were just part of the games themselves and not a problem with the mod. I never noticed that the upper edge of Mega Man 3 wobbles like crazy until I deliberately started looking for flaws.

Khaz

What's happening on my screen is that there is some sort of flickering and image distortion. It happens once in a while, and is sometimes remedied when I turn the TV on and off. Other connectors like composite and component run without problems. Moving the cable in the socket needs checking, but using the cable on multiple consoles yields the same result. Hence, it is most probably from the S-video socket on the TV itself.
This thing happens rarely, but I am worried that something may happen to the TV in the long run, and CRT TVs are not easy to get where I am.

if it does it with two different cables, yeah.

At least it's not your tube failing. You could probably try to do some resoldering of the socket. However that implies opening your TV, and one tragic consequence of that is death by electrocution (cathode ray tubes are mean baddies even after being unplugged for a long time). You will probably be safe working solely on that board and socket but I will not be hold responsible for your death. Seriously. It's dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing contact a TV repairman or ask in an appliance store, they probably know people. Ask the elder ones, the young salesmen will just try to sell you a crap flatscreen lol.

You can get a sync combiner to hook a Dreamcast VGA box up to a Framemeister. I think the Kenzei is designed for that purpose.
Is that what I need to do, coversely, to be able to do VGA on my 20l5? It supports VGA, but there is the whole problem with sync. I never did figure out how to do that, I just know it's capable of displaying VGA if I get over that hurdle.

antibolo

Banned
It doesn't have a VGA input. It's a PVM-- I know the 20l5 can do 31khz, but I'm not sure exactly what cable/adapters you're supposed to use.

Sorry, that was meant for Hinzel's question.

For a PVM you should just get a plain SCART cable. The Dreamcast does natively support both 15 and 31 kHz flavors of RGB.

which is the best (and not so much expensive) solution to hook a J-NTSC Saturn with S-video cable to a monitor with hdmi and vga ports?

xrgb or mini xrgb?

they are easy to find in Japan?

baphomet

which is the best (and not so much expensive) solution to hook a J-NTSC Saturn with S-video cable to a monitor with hdmi and vga ports?

xrgb or mini xrgb?

they are easy to find in Japan?

If you're going to spend the $3-400 on an xrgb you might as well spend another $30 on an rgb cable.

Sixfortyfive

Sent these to IrishNinja if he feels like adding them to the OP, but I'll post them here for now as well.

Wasn't originally planning to cap both stock composite and modded composite of the NES, but I was pretty surprised at the difference. It seems as if the console has some kind of over-sharpening thing going on by default.

baphomet

The difference in those composite caps is crazy. I agree that it does look like the original one has a sharpness filter or something.

Khaz

I'd like to spend much less than 30k yen to play with Saturn

If there is not another cheaper solution than xrgb, it's better to look for an old CRT...

imho it's the better solution, regardless of the price. But you should get that RGB cable no matter what, dammit!

imho it's the better solution, regardless of the price. But you should get that RGB cable no matter what, dammit!

I know, but here in Japan seems like it's not easy to find rgb cables, at least in shops, I have to check online.

I wonder if I can still find somewhere some CRT to buy.....

Well, what you're describing is exactly what I got (TV reacting somehow but no video or audio) and I fixed it by checking and fixing continuity between the PPU and NESRGB board. This was in a front loader, but it sounds like you have the same issue I had.

It's tricky, and frustrating, but you gotta keep at it cos the end result is worth it!

Yep, looks like there are a few pins without continuity. Now I face the tricky task of desoldering what I've done. Urgghh.

TnK

if it does it with two different cables, yeah.

At least it's not your tube failing. You could probably try to do some resoldering of the socket. However that implies opening your TV, and one tragic consequence of that is death by electrocution (cathode ray tubes are mean baddies even after being unplugged for a long time). You will probably be safe working solely on that board and socket but I will not be hold responsible for your death. Seriously. It's dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing contact a TV repairman or ask in an appliance store, they probably know people. Ask the elder ones, the young salesmen will just try to sell you a crap flatscreen lol.
I'd rather not mess with things. I places the cables in a way that the flickering stopped, plus it is not giving me problems, so I am happy with that. Really regret unplugging and repluggin thd cables to see the difference between two S-video cables, only to find out they are both the same...

komarkaze

Yesterday I hooked up my Dreamcast to my TV's PC input using a third party VGA box. The picture looks good, but how do I get sound? My VGA box has a headphone jack for stereo sound, and I could use stereo cables to connect it to the TV via the component input. But I don't think my TV can have two inputs open simultaneously (PC for video and component for audio). What is the recommended solution?

Yesterday I hooked up my Dreamcast to my TV's PC input using a third party VGA box. The picture looks good, but how do I get sound? My VGA box has a headphone jack for stereo sound, and I could use stereo cables to connect it to the TV via the component input. But I don't think my TV can have two inputs open simultaneously (PC for video and component for audio). What is the recommended solution?

TVs always have an audio input associated with their PC input. Look for a headphone input, otherwise it will be one of your composite inputs most likely.

komarkaze

I didn't see any headphone jack in my TV but I will check again. Looking at the specs of the TV model on the website, it does say there is a PC audio input.

I do have a receiver but I have not connected them to the TV since I have no separate speakers any more.

Adam Blue

I got a new VGA monitor for my Dreamcast. Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 200. Looks fantastic! May get a Hanzo so I can play the non-VGA games on it. Right now I have S-Video into the PVM just in case.

ibtaFR4kDh6Dmk.jpg

I got a $6 PlayStation Scart cable. Figure I'd try that out while I wait for my Genesis power mod. It looks really poor - either the scart cable is bad, the scart to BNC is bad, or something is up with the RGB on my PVM. Won't know until I get my Genesis power mod to do more testing (my guess is cheap cable)!

Top - Einhander 480i through PS2 component. Bottom - PSOne RGB scart.

Timu

Sent these to IrishNinja if he feels like adding them to the OP, but I'll post them here for now as well.

Wasn't originally planning to cap both stock composite and modded composite of the NES, but I was pretty surprised at the difference. It seems as if the console has some kind of over-sharpening thing going on by default.
Wow, what a difference!!!

Rich!

So, I've had a significant change in my life. It means I need to clear my debts immediately to stand any chance of being successful.

Either way, I can raise a grand selling my consoles. So be it. I'll be posting these on the BST thread soon enough, but I want to give UK people here a chance.

- RGB modded SNES Mini with dedicated audio out sockets, three games, a controller, power adapter cable (for a Mega Drive AC adapter) and a SUPER EVERDRIVE with the DSP chip installed. Scart cable included.

£210 incl postage.

- XRGB Mini with SCART adapter/sync stripper, UK power adapter and a 4 way multiplug.

£240 incl postage.

- RGB Modded Nintendo 64 with Expansion Pak, controller and EVERDRIVE 64

£220 incl postage

- SEGA MEGA DRIVE 1, ASIAN model with 50/60hz switch, Mega Everdrive, two pads and two extension cables. RGB scart cable included.

£160 postage included

- Sony PlayStation OG, with two controllers. Modchip installed and a SCART RGB cable included.

£50 incl postage

sad times, but bright future ahead in sunnier climates (hopefully!!!!). Let me know via PM. And yeah, these are all on ebay too but I'd rather sell them here. PayPal.

Let me know. Apologies for shitting up the thread.

komplanen

How would a CRT computer monitor with BNC inputs do for a monitor for upscaled retro gaming? It's a Samsung 900NF and I could get one for free.

Basically I'm worried if a computer monitor would accept signal meant for television even if it's through an upscaler?

Sixfortyfive

How would a CRT computer monitor with BNC inputs do for a monitor for upscaled retro gaming? It's a Samsung 900NF and I could get one for free.

Basically I'm worried if a computer monitor would accept signal meant for television even if it's through an upscaler?
Are you planning to use an external upscaler with it? The spec sheets I can find for it say that the lowest resolution it accepts is 480p/31khz, which is typical of most PC monitors, so you'd have to run the console through another device first.

komplanen

Are you planning to use an external upscaler with it? The spec sheets I can find for it say that the lowest resolution it accepts is 480p/31khz, which is typical of most PC monitors, so you'd have to run the console through another device first.

Yes I'm planning to get the Framemeister or what ever the coolest kids have these days.

Sixfortyfive

Yes I'm planning to get the Framemeister or what ever the coolest kids have these days.
The Framemeister wouldn't be ideal for a CRT monitor because it only has HDMI output.

The XRGB-2, XRGB-2plus, and XRGB-3 all have VGA output. They'd be a better fit for a VGA monitor.

komplanen

The Framemeister wouldn't be ideal for a CRT monitor because it only has HDMI output.

The XRGB-2, XRGB-2plus, and XRGB-3 all have VGA output. They'd be a better fit for a VGA monitor.

Ah!

Well one more super noob question then. I have a pretty good modern Dell monitor right now that I purchased recently and it apparently has low input lag (for modern monitors) so could that work better? I mean it has HDMI and it's factory calibrated and has low input lag BUT obviously it's 16:9. So can the Framemeister be told to output 1920x1080 but with black borders because I don't think this monitor has any scaling options so any 4:3 content would automatically stretch. I'm not looking for CRT monitors to reduce input lag or anything, I just thought that's the best option or something. I'm so out of the loop this is like rocket science to me.

Sixfortyfive

Ah!

Well one more super noob question then. I have a pretty good modern Dell monitor right now that I purchased recently and it apparently has low input lag (for modern monitors) so could that work better? I mean it has HDMI and it's factory calibrated and has low input lag BUT obviously it's 16:9. So can the Framemeister be told to output 1920x1080 but with black borders because I don't think this monitor has any scaling options so any 4:3 content would automatically stretch. I'm not looking for CRT monitors to reduce input lag or anything, I just thought that's the best option or something. I'm so out of the loop this is like rocket science to me.
I believe the Framemeister has proper aspect ratio controls but ask someone who has one to be sure. How much of a priority is input lag to you in general, though? What's your threshold? (Being the thread's resident lag snob, I'm obliged to ask because you mentioned it.)

I didn't list the XRGB-1 previously because I thought it wouldn't have been useful due to its weird Japanese-format output connector, but I just did a quick search on eBay and apparently it came with a VGA adapter cable? I kinda want to bid on it just to have a vintage XRGB, haha.

komplanen

I believe the Framemeister has proper aspect ratio controls but ask someone who has one to be sure. How much of a priority is input lag to you in general, though? What's your threshold? (Being the thread's resident lag snob, I'm obliged to ask because you mentioned it.)

I'm one to notice input lag for sure but for an example this current Dell monitor I have has a measured input lag of 4ms so I'm not sure buying a bulky CRT just to shave it down to 0ms is something that would register in my brains at all.

Also I just found out there's aspect ration control on this monitor so I could just offset any stretching that way. Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to buy an Xbox One (2-3 games I like) this year or a Framemeister (billions of games) instead. Man...

So If I buy a Framemeister it would look something like this, right?:

PSOne -> RBG Scart -> Framemeister -> HDMI -> Monitor

Considering I already have a US PSOne and a RGB Scart I'm pretty much just missing the Framemeister for now.

Sixfortyfive

I'm one to notice input lag for sure but for an example this current Dell monitor I have has a measured input lag of 4ms so I'm not sure buying a bulky CRT just to shave it down to 0ms is something that would register in my brains at all.
But what's your threshold? The reason I ask is because the Framemeister adds about 24ms.

So If I buy a Framemeister it would look something like this, right?:

PSOne -> RBG Scart -> Framemeister -> HDMI -> Monitor
Is the SCART cable wired for the European standard or the Japanese? (If you don't know, it's probably European.) You'd have to get an adapter to use it with the Framemeister, which are commonly sold from the handful of online retailers who specialize in this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom