• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheD

The Detective
So, I have an N64, a OG Xbox and a PS1 hooked up with a single mad caz cable that has both composite and S-Video.
Problem is that the S-Video part of the cable is broken (and my TV and receiver do not like the N64's composite output at all), so what should I replace it with? (note that they are PAL consoles)

So, I have an N64, a OG Xbox and a PS1 hooked up with a single mad caz cable that has both composite and S-Video.
Problem is that the S-Video part of the cable is broken (and my TV and receiver do not like the N64's composite output at all), so what should I replace it with? (note that they are PAL consoles)
How the hell did the N64 give proper image in PAL over a mad catz cable?

I'll explain... PAL N64 was never supposed to do S-video so they took the resistors needed to make the picture appropriate out of the motherboard, it's way to bright without them I think... to the point of over exposure. Hence un-modified Nintendo AV-out S-Video cables are useless.

There's only one place carrying the PAL "balanced" cables:

-> http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/n64/n64.htm

So buying one from there is my advice.

As for PSone and Xbox, I recommend getting a RGB cable for the PSone and a Component one for the Xbox.

TheD

The Detective
How the hell did the N64 give proper image in PAL over a mad catz cable?

I'll explain... PAL N64 was never supposed to do S-video so they took the resistors needed to make the picture appropriate out of the motherboard, it's way to bright without them I think... to the point of over exposure. Hence un-modified Nintendo AV-out S-Video cables are useless.

There's only one place carrying the PAL "balanced" cables:

-> http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/n64/n64.htm

So buying one from there is my advice.

As for PSone and Xbox, I recommend getting a RGB cable for the PSone and a Component one for the Xbox.

I honestly do not remember if I have ever used the S-Video with the N64, but it's composite output is doing what you say the PAL S-Video does (very washed out on the TV and my receiver can not get a lock on the signal) so I still need something.

I honestly do not remember if I have ever used the S-Video with the N64, but it's composite output is doing what you say the PAL S-Video does (very washed out on the TV and my receiver can not get a lock on the signal).
I see.

Well, for the PAL N64 it's as I said, those S-video cables are pretty good, best thing one can take out of it sans-modding it for RGB (and only launch French N64's can be modded for RGB) until the hdmi board hits, I recently took the plunge myself and I think they worked wonders in comparison to what it was before.

The result you're getting is normal on a mad catz composite cable though:

FireAza said:
I had a peek inside my official composite cable, and here's what I saw:

IMG_0537.jpg

As you can see, there's just one resistor, running from the black wire and yellow wire. Assumingly, I could do the same to an official S-video cable? I found THIS POST, and it seems to say that's correct, which is strange, since other discussions talk about also adding capacitors.
Source: http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...-PAL-S-video-cables/page3&p=595727#post595727

Official composite cables were compensated. I don't think SNES or Gamecube were (perhaps gamecube just for legacy purposes since cables would be inter-mountable)

The likeliness of mad catz cables being N64 compensated, being meant for several consoles (and if it supports Xbox I'm assuming it was meant for Gamecube and PS2 along with it) being very low.

S-video was also a very American format and generally not popular in Europe until some computers started using it briefly for tv-output, so they're probably US cables which was a region where N64 cables never needed to be compensated. PAL Gamecube didn't even support S-video in the same fashion US Gamecubes didn't support Scart RGB cables.
Bump.
Anyone have any experience with a SNES SCART cable to a HDMI convert box with a SNES? I just ordered them both, heard really good things.
Which region is the SNES from?

baphomet

Well, it'll look better than composite and svideo more than likely, but those scart to HDMI converters generally upscale very badly. Scart to component on a crt or an rgb monitor would be significantly better. Those upscaler tend to blur and have some good amount of input lag.

Well, it'll look better than composite and svideo more than likely, but those scart to HDMI converters generally upscale very badly. Scart to component on a crt or an rgb monitor would be significantly better. Those upscaler tend to blur and have some good amount of input lag.
LKV362's are supposedly good for the price as they actually treat 240p as 240p. granted most things on the market are either a rebranded version of that, or... crap.

As for lag, it's usually 33 ms and never more than that, which is not too bad (even the xrgb-mini lags 24 ms). Image quality is not comparable but it's usually still better than the TV scaler. A little motion blur is unavoidable under $250 from the moment it's not doing pass through but actual processing but it's possible to live with it.

What one has to keep in check is the TV lag, because it's additive (it adds right on top of the just mentioned 33 ms), if it's one of those very snappy sony TV's it should be fine, if it's a very laggy TV even on game mode, well... you're screwed. Lag shouldn't get to be over 166 ms or it'll get to be really noticeable, so it's a math game, and the console lags from the get go, so it's a matter of trying to keep it as low as possible... while going striking for a quality balance.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I see.

Well, for the PAL N64 it's as I said, those S-video cables are pretty good, best thing one can take out of it sans-modding it for RGB (and only launch French N64's can be modded for RGB) until the hdmi board hits, I recently took the plunge myself and I think they worked wonders in comparison to what it was before.

Source: http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...-PAL-S-video-cables/page3&p=595727#post595727

Official composite cables were compensated. I don't think SNES or Gamecube were (perhaps gamecube just for legacy purposes since cables would be inter-mountable)

The likeliness of mad catz cables being N64 compensated, being meant for several consoles (and if it supports Xbox I'm assuming it was meant for Gamecube and PS2 along with it) being very low.

S-video was also a very American format, so they're probably US cables which was a region where cables never needed to be compensated. PAL Gamecube didn't even support S-video in the same fashion US Gamecubes didn't support Scart RGB cables.Which region is the SNES from?

I have a US/Canada region SNES. I bought the SCART cable on ebay, which is for the SNES and a SCART to HDMI box. From what I've seen on Youtube it does an amazing job at up-scaling the image.

I have a US/Canada region SNES. I bought the SCART cable on ebay, which is for the SNES and a SCART to HDMI box. From what I've seen on Youtube it does an amazing job at up-scaling the image.
Double checking here, but... You bought SNES NTSC cables right?

Because PAL SNES uses different AV-port pinouts so both cables exist. Scart was non-standard in US so producing them is a pretty modern tendency, it uses the same pinouts as Japan who used them albeit Japanese cables were wired Scart21, which is incompatible with EuroSCART which is what everyone is using/looking for (bar when it is meant to be plugged onto a XRGB)

A clusterfuck I know.

If it was an european SNES, for whom there have been RGB cables for ages, the box might not have worked due to this:

It turns out that SNES signal level are far to high from a RGB point of view. So I made a attentuation circuit and put it into the RGB Cable, where it should placed imho.
Source: http://bencao74.blogspot.pt/2011/10/scaler-pcb-gbs8220-and-snes-rgb-scart.html

Nothing major but it is the same logic behind the "compensated" N64 cables I spoke above, they were compensated before just wrongly so, and probably most people are still doing it wrong or simply have older stock who can produce incompatibilities.

I don't now if NTSC consoles are in the same boat/require the same.

This is your best case scenario:

Finally got my EURO Scart cable so I could try my doujindance PCE Duo. Hooked it withe Lenkeng LKV362A Scart-to-HDMI upscaler I bought, and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the results for such a relatively cheap China-made upscaler (cost me USD37). Colors really look vibrant and sharp. Of course I have no doubts an XRGB will look better and have scanline options but this is not too shabby if I may say so.

2014-05-05184313_zpse56278b4.jpg

2014-05-05185205_zps7d82d474.jpg

2014-05-05191636_zps7b305b8f.jpg

2014-05-06153928_zpsd854fda1.jpg
Oh no... That guy's a proven idiot.

We can't vouch for that scaler, sorry, fact is no one capable of analyzing wether it sucks or not has purchased it and written about it. Hence everyone is avoiding it like the plgue and buying LKV362A's instead.

That dude is certainly not qualified to make such judgement.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Double checking here, but... You bought SNES NTSC cables right?

Because PAL SNES uses different AV-port pinouts so both cables exist. Scart was non-standard in US so producing them is a pretty modern tendency, it uses the same pinouts as Japan who used them albeit Japanese cables were wired Scart21, which is incompatible with EuroSCART which is what everyone is using/looking for (bar when it is meant to be plugged onto a XRGB)

A clusterfuck I know.

If it was an european SNES, for whom there have been RGB cables for ages, the box might not have worked due to this:

Source: http://bencao74.blogspot.pt/2011/10/scaler-pcb-gbs8220-and-snes-rgb-scart.html

Nothing major but it is the same logic behind the "compensated" N64 cables I spoke above, they were compensated before just wrongly so, and probably most people are still doing it wrong or simply have older stock who can produce incompatibilities.

I don't now if NTSC consoles are in the same boat/require the same.

This is your best case scenario:

Oh no... That guy's a proven idiot.

I just doubled checked, the cable is for US SNES consoles. Thank goodness.

I didn't actually purchase the exact scaler he is using in the video, but something similar.

I just doubled checked, the cable is for US SNES consoles. Thank goodness.
Sorry for the scare.

PAL SNES cable are useless for anything but the PAL SNES though, even our later PAL Gamecube started using the exact same pinouts as the NTSC SNES.

And N64 didn't officially support either across all regions (but with mods it supports the NTSC version too). PAL version was an offshoot that died there and then.
Cable looks good, box is the same that guy was using, can't vouch for it sorry.

I've seen them but never seen anything written about it from people tackling the proper things.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The one thing you have to look out for when converting Dreamcast VGA to another signal is how the device handles horizontal resolution scaling. The Dreamcast is a little weird in that it outputs a 720x480 signal (NTSC TV standard) with only the middle 640x480 pixels filled (VGA standard). As long as you find something that doesn't stretch the picture incorrectly you're probably OK.

Fudoh covered this in a review of a specific TV last year; I'm not sure if it's universally applicable to all TV sets though.

Hmmm I will be ordering that Dreamcast tomorrow and it will be one of those with the Black Replacement shells from Japan because the SEGA Sports model doesn't do it for me but that transcoder will have to wait a bit for purchase because those things have double in price since that post was made and thanks for the information.

TheD

The Detective
I see.

S-video was also a very American format, so they're probably US cables which was a region where cables never needed to be compensated. PAL Gamecube didn't even support S-video in the same fashion US Gamecubes didn't support Scart RGB cables.Which region is the SNES from?

Hmm, that mad caz cable seems to work fine with my old CRT though (too bad the CRT has developed extreme clipping issues and thus is the reason I bough my new TV).
I don't have a french N64 and I do not really want to spend the amount needed for HDMI, so I guess I could look to get that S-Video cable from that site (which is on the other side of the planet) or just see if I can find my official composite AV adapter.

The Mad Catz adapter was sold in PAL countries BTW.

Goddard

I'm looking for a really good CRT monitor to play all my PS2, PS1, NES, N64, and Wii stuff on, but I don't want to ship it from a different city and I don't want to spend too much money. What do you guys think is the best CRT that I'm most likely to find in local classifieds, like what is the best mainstream CRT that happened to be very good for retro gaming? Playing Super Mario Galaxy on a 50 inch 1080p plasma is fucking brutal, and playing it on a crt is an absolute joy, but I friend won't sell his and I don't have one right now.

Hmm, that mad caz cable seems to work fine with my old CRT though (too bad the CRT has developed extreme clipping issues and thus is the reason I bough my new TV).
With the N64? interesting.

Should be mostly fine for the others but not for the N64.
I don't have a french N64 and I do not really want to spend the amount needed for HDMI, so I guess I could look to get that S-Video cable from that site (which is on the other side of the planet) or just see if I can find my official composite AV adapter.
Are you from Australia?

Just doing the math, other side of the world+PAL console.

HDMI board price hasn't been announced yet, but yeah I don't think it'll be very cheap.
The Mad Catz adapter was sold in PAL countries BTW.
I know, but that means S-video would work on PSone and Xbox but never on the Gamecube... Or N64 "as is".

And I don't think Gamecube cables had that attenuation going on over composite like the N64 had. I could try switching cables soon in order to test it.

But unless it was compensated by madcatz N64 shouldn't work all that well and PAL Gamecube won't work, full stop. To make things worse PAL composite+S-video cables were not considered high end back then so in a lot of ways the cable actually being any good defeats the purpose.

They were probably imported or mass produced cables nonetheless being dumped onto the PAL market, perhaps they didn't even know the difference.

I'm looking for a really good CRT monitor to play all my PS2, PS1, NES, N64, and Wii stuff on, but I don't want to ship it from a different city and I don't want to spend too much money. What do you guys think is the best CRT that I'm most likely to find in local classifieds, like what is the best mainstream CRT that happened to be very good for retro gaming? Playing Super Mario Galaxy on a 50 inch 1080p plasma is fucking brutal, and playing it on a crt is an absolute joy, but I friend won't sell his and I don't have one right now.

I'm assuming you're excluding professional / broadcast monitors from your search? Well, when it comes to consumer grade CRT TVs, you can't really go wrong with Sony Trinitrons or Wegas. They're relatively easy to track down on craigslist, at yard sales and thrift stores, at least in my experience. Try to get one with component inputs.

^ I really have to translate my CRT guide for hunting TV's.

Broadcast monitors are fine but more often than not they have a lot more hours on their legs than desirable. Hunt for high end chassis TV's with good tubes and they should be fine. The drama for US is that they check out at S-video which is a waste.

And hence the hunt for RGBS monitors is more warranted over there, for sure.

On the other hand the Sony KD 34XBR970 HDTV has the power to make me wet my pants.

So yeah, if you're in US hunt for that.

TheD

The Detective
With the N64? interesting.

Should be mostly fine for the others but not for the N64.

Yeah (kind of hard to see with the TV so broken now), it did also look OK on the receiver when it managed to display it for a few seconds.

Are you from Australia?

Just doing the math, other side of the world+PAL console.

Yes.

HDMI board price hasn't been announced yet, but yeah I don't think it'll be very cheap.

Yeah, I do not really have much to spend on something like this.

I know, but that means S-video would work on PSone and Xbox but never on the Gamecube... Or N64 "as is".

And I don't think Gamecube cables had that attenuation going on over composite like the N64 had. I could try switching cables soon in order to test it.

But unless it was compensated by madcatz N64 shouldn't work all that well. to make things worse PAL composite+S-video cables were not considered high end back then.

In a lot of senses it defeats the purpose hence they were probably imported cables being dumped onto the PAL market, perhaps nobody even knew the difference.

I guess I have EB games to thank for that.

my xrgb-mini arrived today :D

and my scart to 8 pin connector wont get here until next week :(

I'll just be sitting here staring at the box in the mean time lol

EDIT - unless someone has a guide on how to rewire the included female JP SCART connector?

baphomet

my xrgb-mini arrived today :D

and my scart to 8 pin connector wont get here until next week :(

I'll just be sitting here staring at the box in the mean time lol

EDIT - unless someone has a guide on how to rewire the included female JP SCART connector?

It can be done pretty easily if you want to give it a go and have the right tools. Just look up the pinouts for each and change it to a female scart pin out.

jarosh

That audio latency is only because of how the game chooses to output sound, if they used WASAPI it would be much less.

WASAPI has only been around since Vista though. Do you have an example of a game that uses WASAPI over Direct Sound? I've yet to come across one that doesn't have the audio lag I described. I mean, technically, in a best case scenario, everyone would just use the vastly superior ASIO drivers, they just cost a lot more CPU at low latencies and weren't really made with games in mind. And you'd have to essentially include a driver like ASIO4ALL with your game, since only a minority of gamers will even have an ASIO driver installed.

TheD

The Detective
WASAPI has only been around since Vista though. Do you have an example of a game that uses WASAPI over Direct Sound? I've yet to come across one that doesn't have the audio lag I described. I mean, technically, in a best case scenario, everyone would just use the vastly superior ASIO drivers, they just cost a lot more CPU at low latencies and weren't really made with games in mind. And you'd have to essentially include a driver like ASIO4ALL with your game, since only a minority of gamers will even have an ASIO driver installed.

Vista is kind of old at this point (7 odd years), games should be made around WASAPI if they want low audio latency.

I also think you are exaggerating the amount of audio latency games have on Windows.

jarosh

Vista is kind of old at this point (7 odd years), games should be made around WASAPI if they want low audio latency.

I also think you are exaggerating the amount of audio latency games have on Windows.

The problem is that they aren't, as far as I'm aware.

And I'm not exaggerating. My numbers are based on measurements, they weren't pulled out of my ass.

JF68NSL.png

qMySXtq.png

The circle should in theory coincide with the beep, same exact frame. The video is of course taken at 30 fps (29.97) while the tool runs at 60 fps.

Happy to provide you with the tool I used. It uses DirectX/Direct Sound. But really you can just use a video of any game with your phone, as long as it is something that clearly shows when a sound effect is supposed to trigger.

As I said, tested this on more than 10 Windows computers. The most common result is what you see in those screenshots, 12 frames. I measured 7 frames and 10 frames once each and a single system has only shown 2 frames of lag, for reasons I cannot explain. Each time the measurement is consistent with what I experience playing a number of other games on the respective system.

Here's Mega Man 2 on an emulator:

WQZkKUv.png

Mercutio

Okay gang, I've got a real "first world XRGB problem" here.

I've got a bunch of systems that have Japanese RGB 21 cables, and no switcher. I've just come to the terrifying realization that the Selecty 21 is near impossible to get, and only gets a re-release when Micomsoft feels like it.

Without replacing ALL of my sweet RGB 21 cables with Euro SCART, is there some decent SCART switchbox that will work for me and not take a dump on my precious video quality?

I have a 5-input banbridge switch that works great and comes highly recommended, but I have all European SCART RGB cables for my systems. I have no idea know what effect the JP21 cables would have with that setup.

Mercutio

I have a 5-input banbridge switch that works great and comes highly recommended, but I have all European SCART RGB cables for my systems. I have no idea know what effect the JP21 cables would have with that setup.

I figure if the switch was purely a pass-through... every wire simply routing through, it would be fine. But if it's powered, then the lines it would be powering would fry my XRGB. I could be wrong about that though.

Rich!

Okay gang, I've got a real "first world XRGB problem" here.

I've got a bunch of systems that have Japanese RGB 21 cables, and no switcher. I've just come to the terrifying realization that the Selecty 21 is near impossible to get, and only gets a re-release when Micomsoft feels like it.

Without replacing ALL of my sweet RGB 21 cables with Euro SCART, is there some decent SCART switchbox that will work for me and not take a dump on my precious video quality?

just buy a £10 switchbox from any local Argos or Tesco.

I have two of these daisychained with no loss of picture quality at all:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1078701.htm

edit: derp, i went into auto UK mode. Not sure about the US.

i hooked up my n64 and snes to test the mini via composite and it still looks pretty good. sweet sweet scanlines, meister mode is awesome

but the wait for my scart connector is going to be painful haha. ive got a buddy that can probably rewire the included JP scart connector, so hopefully that works out

Rich!

i hooked up my n64 and snes to test the mini via composite and it still looks pretty good. sweet sweet scanlines, meister mode is awesome

but the wait for my scart connector is going to be painful haha. ive got a buddy that can probably rewire the included JP scart connector, so hopefully that works out

just make sure it's done correctly or you'll not only blow the switcher, you'll fry the XRGB.

Mercutio

Same as I've used for the past 25 years, as it's the standard still accepted on even today's HDTVs.

RGB EURO SCART.

Right, and my question is "What switcher can I use for Japanese RGB 21 wired SCART." All of my systems use cables wired to the Japanese standard. There's the Micomsoft Selecty 21, but I'm not sure if the EURO SCART switches are simply pass-through of every signal, or something different.

If you ever get the chance, could you take a multi-meter to your switcher? Looks like it's unpowered, and if there's a direct connection to from each in to the respective out that is un-touched, it will probably work. The headphone jack probably won't do anything though.

Lettuce

Anybody see Adam's new vid on RGB?

I think he's getting worse on the topic. His comments on s-vid cables and upscaling are... not accurate. Never really backs up what he says. He craps on CRT, then trots out that shyte upscaler again. And then seals the deal with busted ass video captures.

If he does lot of stuff on retro system he should really get himself a decent capture device like the, Micomsoft SC-500N1 or if he has a bit more cash to splash get the Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 USB 3.0 device, both these do 240p native and can deal with interlaced pictures just fine. Also i cant take anyone seriously who by cables from MONSTER!

I stumbled upon this guy's videos recently when I first decided to research and get into the RGB scene. I appreciate his enthusiasm but I've come to the conclusion that he's a bit off about things - though it could be a matter of preference, like how some people will use an upscaler to their HDTV and be content with it. For me, I've become obsessed with natural scanlines and 240p.

I think we have recently talked about this very thing in relation to that specific person in this thread or one of the other retro games threads. There is nothing wrong with people choosing to go the upscaler route, or the direct CRT route. Each choice has it's benefit. That specific person has videos that have things outright wrong or misrepresented though, not related to personal preference.

Guess they both have there advantages and disadvantages, with going the digital upscaler route, as least your never going to have issues with overscan, colour bleed, convergence, gun alignment etc but lose the CRT glow and just overall pop of the image that a CRT creates

An HD CRT would be nice for Gen6 consoles and newer, but is not ideal for anything older than that.
I'm not saying ideal, but that's a TV to hunt down in US and albeit it processes 480i and 240p slightly I'm not counting on it appearing too bad. No TV is perfect on it's own might I add... seeing even a perfect analog chassis can benefit from signal amplification.

Throw a good image processor solution into the mix and it might pull proper 240p just fine and with RGB. Certainly better than most if not nearly all LCD's.

Europe had lots of TV's worth hunting down and comparable to Sony PVM's, because we had RGB scart therefore only the chassis and the tube mattered, and if it's 600 TVL's it's pretty comparable.

It's a shame before component cables became standard US cables and consumer TV's maxed out at S-video or you'd have a treasure trove to hunt down. Not all was rosy on PAL-lands of course, due to 50 Hz and later, 100 Hz/double flush attempts who sucked donkey balls. Compared to that a 60 Hz HD tube that processes 480i and 240p is mighty fine.

We had a bit of a late dark age after the 90's when those pieces of shit hit.

Adam Blue

Decided that PS2 in 480i on my PVM is the way to go...but now I'm getting a green tint (other than color, picture looks fantastic).

i99v3JHrhGAxT.jpg

A friend of mine with the same PVM said he had that problem, but not with his JPN PS2. What do you guys think?

baphomet

Well are you using rgb or component? If rgb change the option on the ps2 to rgb. If component, change the setting on the PVM to component.

Adam Blue

Well are you using rgb or component? If rgb change the option on the ps2 to rgb. If component, change the setting on the PVM to component.

Sorry, I should have specified component...found the answer on the shmups forum. Learned something new about my PVM.

go into the menu and choose config. you should then see RGB A SYSTEM and RGB B SYSTEM choose the one your ps2 is connected to. then you should see COMP INT SYNC, choose that. that should solve the issue.

Thanks.

baphomet

You don't even have to do that. Its right there on the front of your PVM. Button A/RGB and B/COMP that will switch them.

Yeah, just change it to RGB on the PS2 system configuration. Saves you from manually switching it when you use other RGB consoles on the monitor.

TheD

The Detective
The problem is that they aren't, as far as I'm aware.

And I'm not exaggerating. My numbers are based on measurements, they weren't pulled out of my ass.

JF68NSL.png

qMySXtq.png

The circle should in theory coincide with the beep, same exact frame. The video is of course taken at 30 fps (29.97) while the tool runs at 60 fps.

Happy to provide you with the tool I used. It uses DirectX/Direct Sound. But really you can just use a video of any game with your phone, as long as it is something that clearly shows when a sound effect is supposed to trigger.

As I said, tested this on more than 10 Windows computers. The most common result is what you see in those screenshots, 12 frames. I measured 7 frames and 10 frames once each and a single system has only shown 2 frames of lag, for reasons I cannot explain. Each time the measurement is consistent with what I experience playing a number of other games on the respective system.

Here's Mega Man 2 on an emulator:

WQZkKUv.png

Well I recorded some footage from CS:GO and changing the audio sync back 200 ms clearly makes the sound of a gun firing come before the gun does anything (same with my testing in Trine 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom