• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baphomet

So what's the next best thing after Sony PVMs and Trinitrons?

Only a Sony bvm and possibly an NEC xm29.

Wait, misunderstood the question. Trinitrons aren't hard to find. But if you can even find those a CRT with component inputs or at the absolute least, svideo. But those wouldn't be anywhere near a reference monitor.

Adam Blue

You don't even have to do that. Its right there on the front of your PVM. Button A/RGB and B/COMP that will switch them.

This PVM has 2 RGB/COMP inputs. I have RGB on B and Component on A. Though, on A I had to go into the menu and set it to the setting above. In Menu, you go to congif then RGB A or B. Once in their respective menus, you can choose from RGB-INT SYNC, RGB-EXT SYNC, COMP-INT SYNC, and COMP-EXT SYNC.

The front A and B is just for the input, not configuring the input type (which I have no idea what each one means).

Snakeyes

Only a Sony bvm and possibly an NEC xm29.

Wait, misunderstood the question. Trinitrons aren't hard to find. But if you can even find those a CRT with component inputs or at the absolute least, svideo. But those wouldn't be anywhere near a reference monitor.
Woah, the NEC looks even nicer than the Sony. From what I understand, the PVMs are the only reference quality monitors, correct?

Woah, the NEC looks even nicer than the Sony. From what I understand, the PVM is the only reference quality CRT, correct?

It's bigger then you really would go with the PVMs or BVMs, but there are some downsides as well, like how much more picky with sync it is. As such you will probably need a sync stripper to use it, depending on your cord set up.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The NES came back in the mail today.

mm3composite.png
mm3svideo.png
mm3rgb.png
My capture card doesn't seem to get the horizontal resolution correct but it still looks pretty good.

Sixfortyfive

The difference is a lot more apparent in video, of course. The dot crawl on composite video output is severe.

IrishNinja

damn, so glad to be away from composite...in my mind, dot crawl was a problem of the RF daisy-chain i had on my CRT growing up; im sure compshit had it but it wasn't as pronounced at least

Sixfortyfive

That's a stock composite shot pictured above, as I wanted to use an un-modded NES for the base comparison.

I'll be testing the modded composite output as well just to make sure it works correctly but I dunno if I'm going to bother capping a video of it.

Khaz

I'm not saying ideal, but that's a TV to hunt down in US and albeit it processes 480i and 240p slightly I'm not counting on it appearing too bad. No TV is perfect on it's own might I add... seeing even a perfect analog chassis can benefit from signal amplification.

Throw a good image processor solution into the mix and it might pull proper 240p just fine and with RGB. Certainly better than most if not nearly all LCD's.

Europe had lots of TV's worth hunting down and comparable to Sony PVM's, because we had RGB scart therefore only the chassis and the tube mattered, and if it's 600 TVL's it's pretty comparable.

It's a shame before component cables became standard US cables and consumer TV's maxed out at S-video or you'd have a treasure trove to hunt down. Not all was rosy on PAL-lands of course, due to 50 Hz and later, 100 Hz/double flush attempts who sucked donkey balls. Compared to that a 60 Hz HD tube that processes 480i and 240p is mighty fine.

We had a bit of a late dark age after the 90's when those pieces of shit hit.

An HD CRT doesn't downsample anything, it doesn't process the picture at all, like any other CRT. It most likely have a refresh rate of 100/120Hz instead of the 50/60Hz of standard CRT TV, which then screw up light guns. CRTs have a maximum resolution based on the grid size, but can natively display any lower resolution, like your old VGA CRT computer screen was able to display your desktop in 1024x768 and still play old 320x200 DOS games mighty fine.

There was no technical hurdle to go Full HD with CRTs. But manufacturers wanted to make new LCD as they were lighter and more compact, meaning better storage and shipment, and sell them at a premium retail price. I still think that LCD is the sham of the decade, bar for nomad computing.

And it seems Europe almost never got HD CRTs. It was mainly sold in the US and Asia for some reason. I have never found a CRT HDTV locally, and getting it from overseas means giving up on the Scart and paying a hefty price for delivery.

Sixfortyfive

HD CRTs might not have scaling quirks or inherent lag, but some do have crappy post-processing that may or may not be possible to turn off. The first big fighting game tournament I went to still used CRTs, and this came up as an issue at one point because it was discovered that the HD set they were using for the main stage did have some processing lag that they couldn't figure out how to eliminate.

Lettuce

That's a stock composite shot pictured above, as I wanted to use an un-modded NES for the base comparison.

I'll be testing the modded composite output as well just to make sure it works correctly but I dunno if I'm going to bother capping a video of it.

If you have the NESRGB and your modded did the mod with a 4 position switch (pallet switch) one of the 4 positions switches the NESRGB off completely so you can use the composite RCA connections on the side of the Frontloader NES (if thats what you have...and personally why wouldn't you) for comparisons shots

Sixfortyfive

If you have the NESRGB and your modded did the mod with a 4 position switch (pallet switch) one of the 4 positions switches the NESRGB off completely so you can use the composite RCA connections on the side of the Frontloader NES (if thats what you have...and personally why wouldn't you) for comparisons shots
That's what I'd do if I was modding a front-loader, but I went with a top-loader for the mod instead.

I'll probably be doing away with the front-loader in the near future. Other than the flaky 72-pin connector it seems like it's in good shape.

Lettuce

That's what I'd do if I was modding a front-loader, but I went with a top-loader for the mod instead.

I'll probably be doing away with the front-loader in the near future. Other than the flaky 72-pin connector it seems like it's in good shape.

WHAT!!!....why would you do this?, the frontloader is the iconic NES system lol,........no offense but i just dont like the toploader....just looks so cheap and tacky, i thought it was a clone system first time i saw it.

Horse's for course's i guess

EDIT: is your frontloader NTSC?....ill happily take if off your hands :)

Sixfortyfive

I just think the front-loader is more of a nuisance in practice.

Anyway, does the RGB output on this SNES Mini look a little too bright to anyone else, or is this normal? My RGB captures are usually slightly brighter than other inputs but this one seems to be more pronounced.

Rich!

Anyway, does the RGB output on this SNES Mini look a little too bright to anyone else, or is this normal? My RGB captures are usually slightly brighter than other inputs but this one seems to be more pronounced.

SNES mini is brighter when RGB modded. It outputs a strong signal, and the white level is far brighter than on a stock SNES. Mine is the same.

It's one of the many reasons Byuu (BSNES) dislikes the Mini and calls it a bastardization of the original design. I prefer it though.

An HD CRT would be nice for Gen6 consoles and newer, but is not ideal for anything older than that.

Yup. I have the 34XBR960 and it is absolutely terrible for SD inputs. I hooked up my NES via composite the other day to quickly test a game and it was almost unbearable. Amazing HD picture, but a no-go for retro systems.

Lettuce

Which mod is done on the SNES mini, just the standard 3 wire mod or the amp mod. I ve got 4 SNES minis here and 1 has just the standard 3 wire and 1 has the AMP mod with 68ohm resistor, im going to mod another one today and this time try 75ohm resistors but to me the 68 seems nice and bright.....but not too bright

EDIT: what process are you using to capture those screen shots, the aspect ratio appears to be wrong?

Sixfortyfive

EDIT: what process are you using to capture those screen shots, the aspect ratio appears to be wrong?
The XCAPTURE-1 has a tendency to get the horizontal resolution or aspect ratio incorrect for analog sources that don't evenly divide into 720 or 640 in width. The NES and SNES are two such sources.

Khaz

Yup. I have the 34XBR960 and it is absolutely terrible for SD inputs. I hooked up my NES via composite the other day to quickly test a game and it was almost unbearable. Amazing HD picture, but a no-go for retro systems.

Composite will look like shit regardless of the screen.

Does anyone know any modders (preferably in the UK) who could take a look at my AV Famicom NESRGB mod? Everything is soldered up but I can't seem to get any picture from it. It's way too hard to desolder everything for me now, so was hoping someone else could troubleshoot it...

televator

WHAT!!!....why would you do this?, the frontloader is the iconic NES system lol,........no offense but i just dont like the toploader....just looks so cheap and tacky, i thought it was a clone system first time i saw it.

Horse's for course's i guess

EDIT: is your frontloader NTSC?....ill happily take if off your hands :)

I have 2 front loaders. I'd trade them both for just one top loader to RGB mod and regret nothing. lol

Lettuce

Does anyone know any modders (preferably in the UK) who could take a look at my AV Famicom NESRGB mod? Everything is soldered up but I can't seem to get any picture from it. It's way too hard to desolder everything for me now, so was hoping someone else could troubleshoot it...

Ive never done a top loader but done about 8 frontloaders, i could take a look at it for you but cant guarantee anything. Was it working fine before the mod? whats the actual problem with it?

Ive never done a top loader but done about 8 frontloaders, i could take a look at it for you but cant guarantee anything. Was it working fine before the mod? whats the actual problem with it?

Yeah it was fine before. Problem is it's turning on (I guess, the TV seems to react) but no audio or video is appearing. I've ordered a multimeter to test the connections. I'm hoping/guessing that one of the pins isn't soldered properly somewhere. There are so many points to solder.

baphomet

Yeah it was fine before. Problem is it's turning on (I guess, the TV seems to react) but no audio or video is appearing. I've ordered a multimeter to test the connections. I'm hoping/guessing that one of the pins isn't soldered properly somewhere. There are so many points to solder.

Is jumper 5 bridged?

On the bottom of the board did you not solder the socket from the bottom?

Everything looks fine as far as the install. Some of the solder points are somewhat iffy, so a continuity check is probably your best bet.

Yeah they are all soldered there. I think the flash from the camera makes it look like there are gaps. It also picks up the flux..

edit: oh, I see what you mean. Yeah I did, but I used a solder sucker pump to get rid of some of the excess, so it looks clean. I did this after I confirmed it didn't work though, so yeah..

baphomet

Yeah they are all soldered there. I think the flash from the camera makes it look like there are gaps. It also picks up the flux..

Well unfortunately nothing sticks out as being obviously bad. I would suggest against soldering the ppu actually in the socket though. It'll be a bitch to get out should you need to.

Just get a multimeter and check continuity from the bottom of the board to get corresponding legs of the ppu. That is really all I can think to check.

Johnny

An HD CRT doesn't downsample anything, it doesn't process the picture at all, like any other CRT. It most likely have a refresh rate of 100/120Hz instead of the 50/60Hz of standard CRT TV, which then screw up light guns. CRTs have a maximum resolution based on the grid size, but can natively display any lower resolution, like your old VGA CRT computer screen was able to display your desktop in 1024x768 and still play old 320x200 DOS games mighty fine.

There was no technical hurdle to go Full HD with CRTs. But manufacturers wanted to make new LCD as they were lighter and more compact, meaning better storage and shipment, and sell them at a premium retail price. I still think that LCD is the sham of the decade, bar for nomad computing.

And it seems Europe almost never got HD CRTs. It was mainly sold in the US and Asia for some reason. I have never found a CRT HDTV locally, and getting it from overseas means giving up on the Scart and paying a hefty price for delivery.
HD CRTs often process 240p/480i signals quite a bit in my experience. I don't think I've encountered one that doesn't at least line double to 480p.

You're better off with an SDTV for 240p stuff in my opinion.

Khaz

HD CRTs often process 240p/480i signals quite a bit in my experience. I don't think I've encountered one that doesn't at least line double to 480p.

You're better off with an SDTV for 240p stuff in my opinion.

I'm surprised they do, it's not like they have to. But I'll trust you on that.

Peagles

Well unfortunately nothing sticks out as being obviously bad. I would suggest against soldering the ppu actually in the socket though. It'll be a bitch to get out should you need to.

Just get a multimeter and check continuity from the bottom of the board to get corresponding legs of the ppu. That is really all I can think to check.

Having done this mod myself as a noob, I'd second this. Even though all of my solder points were nice and shiny, I had to redo several on the PPU several times before there was continuity.

Although some of them never gained continuity so I figured some are designed not to.

Having done this mod myself as a noob, I'd second this. Even though all of my solder points were nice and shiny, I had to redo several on the PPU several times before there was continuity.

Although some of them never gained continuity so I figured some are designed not to.

Really? That's going to make things difficult for me :\

Andy the cook

Neo Member
So I'm about to buy this cable, and I get that I'll need a converter for it to work on a xrgb mini. What I don't get is the difference between these two converters 1 2 will either of them work?

Sixfortyfive

So I'm about to buy this cable, and I get that I'll need a converter for it to work on a xrgb mini. What I don't get is the difference between these two converters 1 2 will either of them work?
One has a female end (to be connected to an individual SCART cable); the other has a male end (to be plugged into the Out port of a SCART switch box).

Does anyone know of any good guides to get into the service menu for a sony trinitron? the upper part of my CRT is like bubbled out that anything in the top middle of the image kind of overscans off the screen. I'm assuiming that would be a pretty simple geometry adjustment.

TnK

So, my S-video port's display sometimes has flickering and disturbance of the image, does this mean my CRT TV will die?

Khaz

So, my S-video port's display sometimes has flickering and disturbance of the image, does this mean my CRT TV will die?

My bet would be a failure of the cable itself or the connections. try moving the cable in the socket to see if you can make it happen. Try it on both ends, console and TV. The solder joints between the socket and the board endure a lot of stress with each plugging and unplugging and can weaken after some time. It's especially true for Scart but can happen for every type of connection. It's usually advised to shift the stress to an extension cord or a hub if you plan to often change device.

i opted not to do the scart cable mode myself so i dont fry my xrgb-mini, and grabbed an svideo cable from the flea market to hold me over until my scart to 8 pin connector arrives

this thing looks amazing, there was definitely motion blur on the cheap shitty scart > hdmi converter i was using. and the scan lines,,, man... brings back memories

TnK

My bet would be a failure of the cable itself or the connections. try moving the cable in the socket to see if you can make it happen. Try it on both ends, console and TV. The solder joints between the socket and the board endure a lot of stress with each plugging and unplugging and can weaken after some time. It's especially true for Scart but can happen for every type of connection. It's usually advised to shift the stress to an extension cord or a hub if you plan to often change device.

I have two cables, and both display the same results.

EDIT: Actually, I was checking both cables out, and see if there was a difference, so there was a LOOOT of plugging and unplugging. Did I damage my TV?

Lettuce

Ok finished the RGB AMP mod on 2 SNES Mini's today, modded with 75 ohm resistors this time.....

ibwkhMM64B5l2A.jpg

Here comparisons between a SNES Mini using the RGM amp mod method with a 68 ohm and then 75 ohm resistor on the R,G and B lines....

3898421.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom