• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

So I wanna fiddle with the geometry on my 32FS120 CRT but the suposed service menu code for sony sets just brings up a display with no selectable options. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a different code I need?

Peagles

shut it down, no one's beating bapho here

Haha I did not intend for this to end up as a competition for the length of our RGB penises :p

But cool to hear what systems people have set up, and now I have some ideas of how to expand.

Expand, lol.

I don't actually have a penis.

Randomizer

I'm new to all this so haven't got that many systems up and running.

SNES
Megadrive II
Master System Converter (Cheating I know lol)
GameCube
Wii
PS1
PS2

Have an OG Xbox yet to buy the cable and also a +128k Spectrum in my Mum's attic, no cable. N64 is the only annoyance as I have to buy a NTSC or French console for RGB. Also have all the parts to connect my PC to my CRT using a yet to be made custom VGA to Start Cable. Would have loved to have gotten a UMSA (Ultimate Scart Adapter) but couldn't justify the money when I can build a cable for free.

So I wanna fiddle with the geometry on my 32FS120 CRT but the suposed service menu code for sony sets just brings up a display with no selectable options. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a different code I need?

Not sure as I don't have that TV to test but there are two options here.

[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [VOL+], [PWR ON]
-or-
[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [PWR ON]

televator

I'm new to all this so haven't got that many systems up and running.

SNES
Megadrive II
Master System Converter (Cheating I know lol)
GameCube
Wii
PS1
PS2

Have an OG Xbox yet to buy the cable and also a +128k Spectrum in my Mum's attic, no cable. N64 is the only annoyance as I have to buy a NTSC or French console for RGB. Also have all the parts to connect my PC to my CRT using a yet to be made custom VGA to Start Cable. Would have loved to have gotten a UMSA (Ultimate Scart Adapter) but couldn't justify the money when I can build a cable for free.

Not sure as I don't have that TV to test but there are two options here.

[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [VOL+], [PWR ON]
-or-
[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [PWR ON]

Thanks. I already found the service manual, but I just didn't know that navigating the menu was through the number keys 1 & 4.

I found some test patterns online. Since I don't have a flash cart, and I don't feel like hauling my PC down stairs, I'm gonna have to rely on my 360 to display them on the set... or how about the Wii? About time that console make itself useful. :p

Mercutio

my setup :)

http://min.us/i/bvAAFtTBMKhSH

nes, snes, n64, genesis, 32x, sega cd, dreamcast, xbox, xbox 360, ps2, ps3, ps4.

5.1 to a pretty beastly surround sound system, xrgb-mini and a samsung 55" 3d led tv

wii and wii u reside upstairs in the living room

Great setup, man! So I see you're using an XRGB and a SCART switchbox. May I ask which one you're using? I've got everything wired for JP21 right now, and I'm worried I'm going to have to get all new cables for a switcher. The Selecty 21 is so elusive.

Is there a good source for the Hori Commander controllers? I just saw they basically did them for every console, and six button pads for a lot of them. I'd love to get them, especially the six button ones. eBay seems sparse in the listings, and expensive for the ones who have it.

I might have to check on Yahoo Auctions. I have a friend in Japan that could pick them up for me and ship them to me

Bancho

I've spent some time now with my 20" JVC and although I keep saying to myself I want a BVM I have to admit this monitor really gives a awesome picture. It required no geometry setup, just positioning and H/V size adjustment and that's it. If anyone comes across one I highly recommend they pick it up. Still can't believe this thing cost less than a beer!

Here's sunset riders on a Snes mini RGB modded.

And cropped down to show scanlines

BubbaMc

Nothing at all wrong with that mate. I've got a low hour BVM A series, and the geometry is probably not as good as your JVC.

SegaShack

I just got a Sony PVM-20L5 monitor for 100 bucks? How'd I do? I looked it up and apparently this monitor goes up to 1080i, not sure how, but crazy if true.

Also, does retro_console_accesories have a Genesis 2 RGB cable? I need one for my 32x. Don't see any listed.

antibolo

Banned
I just got a Sony BVM-20L5 monitor for 100 bucks? How'd I do? I looked it up and apparently this monitor goes up to 1080i, not sure how, but crazy if true.

That's awesome.

Also, does retro_console_accesories have a Genesis 2 RGB cable? I need one for my 32x. Don't see any listed.

She does, I have one (with raw sync). She's probably just out of stock, it's probably her most popular cable, considering how the Genesis is both common and really needs a proper RGB cable to not look like garbage (unlike the SNES which has good s-video support).

Roge_NES

Thanks. I already found the service manual, but I just didn't know that navigating the menu was through the number keys 1 & 4.

I found some test patterns online. Since I don't have a flash cart, and I don't feel like hauling my PC down stairs, I'm gonna have to rely on my 360 to display them on the set... or how about the Wii? About time that console make itself useful. :p

If your Wii runs homebrew you can easily calibrate your TV using Artemio's 240P Suite.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#Downloads

Peagles

65d290ae-bb5d-4279-8d92-475f60cb712b.jpg

Beauty.

So what is your preferred set up for playing these games? Do you use an RGB HD scaler box?
Sorry for the huge delay answering... I was away for 2 days.

I prefer CRT's, but one of my pet projects is trying to close the distance between the two... So I have a scaler chain meant for modern screens and seldom invest on it. But I don't see it taking over my preferences anytime soon, that said and because it's a hobby thing I'm not planning to buy something like a XRGB-mini... Perhaps a XRGB-3.
Does composite video to BNC need a sync? Or only for RGB inputs?
You mean sync stripper?

Neither need a sync stripper on most Broadcast monitors, exceptions are very few. Thing is you can't plug composite to the RGB Ext Sync port, without RGB it won't display anything, you have to plug it onto the composite port instead. But it'll work fine.
Well the good news is that I found someone on a specialty forum who makes the same cables as that UK website, actually better quality, but he only charges 25 bucks and is from the US. This way not only is it an easier set up but a good price too. Also the audio is RCA break away so it is perfect.
Sounds good.
Is bridgeport the best SCART selector? I can imagine that I will have a lot of cables I will have to keep reattaching to the adapter if I don't get a selector/switch of some sort.
It's not... But it's the cheapest good one.

Next in the list is the Shinybow 6x2 or gscartsw and both are cost quite a bit more (more than 100 bucks/euros)

So I recommend the automatic bandridge one.
Also, I have an atari 2600 you can see in that photo, is there any way to get that playing on an RGB monitor with any method, or is it impossible since it is RF?
As someone said it, only modding it to S-Video, which is quite worth it.
I just got a Sony PVM-20L5 monitor for 100 bucks? How'd I do? I looked it up and apparently this monitor goes up to 1080i, not sure how, but crazy if true.

That's wonderful, pretty good price if the thing is pristine.
Are you taking said menu code out of the TV service manual?

I have the 20l5 and it does 1080i if you buy the module for it. As is, it does 480p (beautifully) which is all I want it for

I've spent some time now with my 20" JVC and although I keep saying to myself I want a BVM I have to admit this monitor really gives a awesome picture. It required no geometry setup, just positioning and H/V size adjustment and that's it. If anyone comes across one I highly recommend they pick it up. Still can't believe this thing cost less than a beer!

Here's sunset riders on a Snes mini RGB modded.

And cropped down to show scanlines

Wow, this looks fantastic. For the experts in here, I lack space big time...can the XRGB Mini recreate what we see here on a HDTV?

Great setup, man! So I see you're using an XRGB and a SCART switchbox. May I ask which one you're using? I've got everything wired for JP21 right now, and I'm worried I'm going to have to get all new cables for a switcher. The Selecty 21 is so elusive.

i got the bandridge scart switcher off of ebay:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-Premium-Performance-Selector-Switching/sim/B0015YYN1W/2

shipping was a little pricey but it does a much better job then those cheap ass switchers. and it doesnt require a power adapter which is a big plus

Adam Blue

Using my new VGA as a MAME station but also for the Dreamcast. I bought a cheap but very nice mini desktop off CL for $40.

ij0A26N1dcDrf.jpg

i9JT571vkLQOe.jpg

This thing is supposed to do 800 x 600, but for some reason it won't in Windows 7. I had to use the Nvidia controls to add the resolutions, but it takes up an area bigger than the screen and won't scroll. But, MAME looks great.

SegaShack

So I got my PVM-20L5 today. Here are 2 pics of the back if anyone can help me determine if it has the HD module.

My issue is calibrating this thing. I am not sure how you adjust color or sharpness. In the menu there is the option for color temperature being set to user, then you can adjust "Bias" or "Gain" for Red Blue and Green, but really not sure what each one is. I have used Avia before but it has always been easy, on this set I can't seem to get the color settings even close to correct. Does anyone know if there is a sharpness setting on it? All I can see are chroma, phase, contrast, and brightness.

If anyone who owns one of these has some calibration settings to share, would be great.

Haven't ordered any RGB cables yet, so this is just composite. Waiting for retro_console_accessories to get everything I need in stock so I can make one big order.

dodgeme

If you like composite on that thing, RGB will blow your mind.

I can imagine, I want to eventually invest in a 19" pvm but just haven't felt like spending the money. When I saw this for $1 it was hard to say no. The composite on this is 10x better then the lcd I was using although a tad small.

So I got my PVM-20L5 today. Here are 2 pics of the back if anyone can help me determine if it has the HD module.

My issue is calibrating this thing. I am not sure how you adjust color or sharpness. In the menu there is the option for color temperature being set to user, then you can adjust "Bias" or "Gain" for Red Blue and Green, but really not sure what each one is. I have used Avia before but it has always been easy, on this set I can't seem to get the color settings even close to correct. Does anyone know if there is a sharpness setting on it? All I can see are chroma, phase, contrast, and brightness.

If anyone who owns one of these has some calibration settings to share, would be great.

Haven't ordered any RGB cables yet, so this is just composite. Waiting for retro_console_accessories to get everything I need in stock so I can make one big order.

Wait till you get the rgb cables before going balls deep into changing settings since things may be different and you may not even have to adjust for colors with in RGB mode. Contrast, brightness, and then the different geometry settings are all I've really had to mess with on my monitors when going RGB. I believe the "APERTURE" setting is sharpness, but even that becomes pointless when in RGB mode iirc. The 240p test suite is all I've had to use for any of that as well, so you may want to look into that if you have an easy way to load it though RGB. Don't have any experience with your particular monitor but I know the HD card for BVMs is a 2 slot thing with a bunch of inputs. I would assume it is the same for that as well but can't say for certain.

Try to find the owners manual and service manual online as there can be a lot of info in them that will be helpful for getting though the menus and getting to the deeper hidden service menus.

SegaShack

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/

Anyone ever bought from these guys before?

Sorry for the huge delay answering... I was away for 2 days.

I prefer CRT's, but one of my pet projects is trying to close the distance between the two... So I have a scaler chain meant for modern screens and seldom invest on it. But I don't see it taking over my preferences anytime soon, that said and because it's a hobby thing I'm not planning to buy something like a XRGB-mini... Perhaps a XRGB-3.You mean sync stripper?

No worries at all, I appreciate any help, nothing happened during that time anyways and I just got my monitor and RCA-BNC adapters today.

Oh I see, I'm hoping for my monitor to stay my default set up for older game consoles, but scalers are a much more convenient option.

Neither need a sync stripper on most Broadcast monitors, exceptions are very few. Thing is you can't plug composite to the RGB Ext Sync port, without RGB it won't display anything, you have to plug it onto the composite port instead. But it'll work fine.Sounds good.It's not... But it's the cheapest good one.
I did not mean sync stripper, I actually meant if using just a standard RCA yellow cord signal needed sync, but I found out that is not the case. A BNC adapter is all I needed and it ran fine. Looks like that is only meant for RGB.

Next in the list is the Shinybow 6x2 or gscartsw and both are cost quite a bit more (more than 100 bucks/euros)

So I recommend the automatic bandridge one.

Thanks, I will make sure to get that one, definitely don't want to get into pricey switchers, cables are already expensive as it is.

As someone said it, only modding it to S-Video, which is quite worth it.
I see. I was thinking of maybe getting a tuner with RCA out and setting it to channel 3, not sure if it would work or not. I am just terribly at soldering.

That's wonderful, pretty good price if the thing is pristine.

Looks to be in great shape, just trying to determine how I get an HD picture on it and what a mystery input is on it (see photos above).

I got one of my scart > BNC cables from them. All of my actual RGB cables I got from retro_console_accessories.

The mystery inputs seem to be from a BKM-120D SDI 4:2:2 Input Adaptor. How that helps you, I don't know.

From going though a few manuals on your monitor and the cards it is compatable with it seems you may need the "BKM-142HD HD SDI Input Adaptor" for enable HD stuff on that screen, but really not sure since I'm just doing a quick look though what I can find. This is just the normal maunal for your monitor if you want to look though it yourself;
http://neohyphengeo.com/PVM-14L5, PVM-20L5.pdf

It is good to save all the manuals you can find about the monitors you get since they will explain a lot of the settings and functions for you.

televator

Are you taking said menu code out of the TV service manual?

It just so happens that it was the same code, but like I said, I just wasn't aware of how to navigate with the number pad.

BTW, I love the clear edge VM option on this set! It eliminates bloom and makes scan lines beautifully visible.

SegaShack

Wait till you get the rgb cables before going balls deep into changing settings since things may be different and you may not even have to adjust for colors with in RGB mode. Contrast, brightness, and then the different geometry settings are all I've really had to mess with on my monitors when going RGB. I believe the "APERTURE" setting is sharpness, but even that becomes pointless when in RGB mode iirc. The 240p test suite is all I've had to use for any of that as well, so you may want to look into that if you have an easy way to load it though RGB. Don't have any experience with your particular monitor but I know the HD card for BVMs is a 2 slot thing with a bunch of inputs. I would assume it is the same for that as well but can't say for certain.

Try to find the owners manual and service manual online as there can be a lot of info in them that will be helpful for getting though the menus and getting to the deeper hidden service menus.

Thanks, I will make sure to wait till I get my RGB cables to go all out. I can't really find any geometry related options in the menu, will have to look into these hidden service menus. Looks like color adjustment doesn't happen on this monitor and the color gain and bias only change the balance of the color on the screen, interesting. Just used the 240p Test Suite on my Genesis and in my manual it said I can use an auto calibrate to set chroma and phase automatically when I look at an SMPTE test pattern. Did this and it looks nicer now for sure.

Thank you.
I got one of my scart > BNC cables from them. All of my actual RGB cables I got from retro_console_accessories.

The mystery inputs seem to be from a BKM-120D SDI 4:2:2 Input Adaptor. How that helps you, I don't know.

From going though a few manuals on your monitor and the cards it is compatable with it seems you may need the "BKM-142HD HD SDI Input Adaptor" for enable HD stuff on that screen, but really not sure since I'm just doing a quick look though what I can find. This is just the normal maunal for your monitor if you want to look though it yourself;
http://neohyphengeo.com/PVM-14L5, PVM-20L5.pdf

It is good to save all the manuals you can find about the monitors you get since they will explain a lot of the settings and functions for you.

I hear such good things about retro_console_accessories, I just wish they had those Genesis cables up.

Checked in my menus and I did see a screen that said "BKM-120D", so looks like that is not the HD input board, oh well.

Thanks for all the information and work, the manual especially helped me out.

Thanks, I will make sure to wait till I get my RGB cables to go all out. I can't really find any geometry related options in the menu, will have to look into these hidden service menus. Looks like color adjustment doesn't happen on this monitor and the color gain and bias only change the balance of the color on the screen, interesting. Just used the 240p Test Suite on my Genesis and in my manual it said I can use an auto calibrate to set chroma and phase automatically when I look at an SMPTE test pattern. Did this and it looks nicer now for sure.

Thank you.

I hear such good things about retro_console_accessories, I just wish they had those Genesis cables up.

Checked in my menus and I did see a screen that said "BKM-120D", so looks like that is not the HD input board, oh well.

Thanks for all the information and work, the manual especially helped me out.

Just found the service manual as well for you;
http://neohyphengeo.com/PVM-20L5.pdf

Now the stuff in here is much more serious and may take some time to understand since it was meant for and used by repair and calibration people. It is a good idea to write down any settings you are going to change and not change things that you don't really understand.

After a quick look it seems that page 2-1 and 2-2 shows how to get into the service menu and how to save settings and what not. The details on the different screen size and geometry settings are on page 2-4. "Raster H", "Raster V" and "Geometry" are the categories that the settings you should be interested in are in. Page 2-20 has some handy pictures that show what effect each of the "geometry" settings have on the picture for when you are trying to use them.

The grid test image on the 240 test suite is great making adjustments to the size and geometry of the screen. If everything is already lined up enough for you on that then you shouldn't even have to mess around with the service menu all. This also may be another thing that you may want to wait to get RGB all set up for before changing stuff around since things might change with the different format. Enjoy.

Animaniac

So after months of searching I finally found my ideal CRTs for sale in my area. Early this year I bought a Sony PVM-2950QM for $150 to use for my 240p RGB setup. I've got the PSX, Saturn and Mega Drive connected to a bandridge scart selector and the N64 through S-video. I've never had anything with such strong scanlines before and I wasn't sure at first but now I love it!
More recently I bought a Sony HX32M31 from a guy for the bargain price of $30! It's a 32" HD CRT and looks amazing with 480i/480p/720p/1080i inputs. I have the Gamecube, Wii, PS2 and Xbox routed through a component switcher while the Dreamcast goes direct to the TV's RGBHV input.

I couldn't be more happy with how my retro gaming room is coming together and there's still so much I want to do. I've never even owned a SNES!

Ramune

I bought a JP21 -> SCART conversion plug for my Sega Saturn cables and it does what it supposed to. :)

Speaking of Sega, is slight edge noise like this normal with the Genesis on a PVM?

https://db.tt/6A6im53t

https://db.tt/8u5sHlVk

Im suprised I JUST noticed this a few days ago (getting used to that awesome RGB picture I guess)

At the moment I have my PS2 taking the other RGB/Component inputs with component cables and dont notice similar noise. Wouldnt kill me, but if there is a way to fix it, Im open to suggestions!

And Animaniac, that is one sweet retro room! :D

Edit: I should note I outputed the RGB connection to my 2nd PVM (which is tate-ed atm) and also had the same noise. Same model too (Olympus OEV203 which seems to be a rebranded Sony PVM 20M2MDU if that helps).

Using my new VGA as a MAME station but also for the Dreamcast. I bought a cheap but very nice mini desktop off CL for $40.

ij0A26N1dcDrf.jpg

i9JT571vkLQOe.jpg

This thing is supposed to do 800 x 600, but for some reason it won't in Windows 7. I had to use the Nvidia controls to add the resolutions, but it takes up an area bigger than the screen and won't scroll. But, MAME looks great.

What mame ui is that?

dhonk

I might commit to an XRGB Mini at some point. (Christmas maybe?)

One thing it lacks is VGA, which would be nice for Dreamcast. Any VGA -> component adapters suggested?

Also, anyone know how it performs for stuff like Laserdisc? I heard the Faroujda scalers are better for this. Anyone have positive things to say about the Faroujda line? (Way less likely I would buy one of course. Since I'm going second hand on ebay.)

ALSO, very interested in a Micomsoft X-Capture one. I've been very disappointed with the elgato hd tbh.

Does anyone have a link to the genesis ROM that has test calibration for CRT geometry and over scan, etc.

I thought I heard people say it was a genesis ROM that can be used with ever drive.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Has anyone ever tried a SNES with SCART out into a box that coverts the SCART to COMPONENT out into a HDTV? Is it better than just going composite in to a HDTV?

I've tried the CRT route with my retro gaming and am beyond frustrated with trying to find a Trinitron that doesn't have geometry issues, so at this point I may go back to just plugging into my LED.

Has anyone ever tried a SNES with SCART out into a box that coverts the SCART to COMPONENT out into a HDTV? Is it better than just going composite in to a HDTV?

I've tried the CRT route with my retro gaming and am beyond frustrated with trying to find a Trinitron that doesn't have geometry issues, so at this point I may go back to just plugging into my LED.

It will still be laggy as sin but the color separation will be much better than composite. Make sure your HDTV supports 240p signal over component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom