• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Beartruck

Considering republican donors are really pissed at them for trying to pass this bill, I hope the AARP and other groups put serious money behind running all of the yes votes out of office, either by primaries or general elections.

We can hope. I'm not going to lie, I'm still super nervous about the Senate. Most except it won't go through, but McConnell really seems like he has a much firmer grip on the Senate and I can see it going through potentially since this reconciliation period is so close to have a 'win.'
And the news media will report it as a successful obamacare repeal and not as "Republicans blow up Medicare, sign plan that will kill millions." I hate this fucking country sometimes.

My friend's brother had a tumor removed thanks to the ACA and his father still stumps around saying Obamacare was the worse thing to happen to him.

When the Democrats take back control, I hope they start enacting a program that puts people into mental hospitals for right-wing psychosis. Both because these fuckers don't deserve freedom and because studies need to be done to find a cure for right wing psychosis.

So this $8 billion pool... is that per state or per year, because there's no chance in hell of making that stretch to cover the entire country for five or ten years. It would be hard pressed to cover the first 12 months.

It's in addition to 130 billion, and it's over a period of 5 years. That said the estimate of what would be necessary to keep rates affordable is 100 billion annually. So they'd need to increase funding by about 4x what it is now.

I just don't really get the flips, it all seemed to happen so suddenly. I guess it's just strong-arming and peer pressure to get a win after a series of loses, but I just don't get why these Reps are so willing to jump on a sword now. But then, I have to remember this is the GOP, even the more moderates, by and large, are basically just trash anyway who all probably want a full repeal with no replacement if the bold truth is known.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
GOP Is going to vote to take away health care from millions, and the top story on NBCs website is that Prince Phillip is retiring...

Uhhhhh

It's going to happen. And it's the only story that matters. Who gives a fuck about Philip?

Uh, but it's not happened, so what is there to report? We have no CBO rating, no idea of what the final revisions are, etc. All of this is being done as quietly and subtly as possible. As soon as a vote happens, I'm sure all the mainstream news sources will explode.

Guevara

I think Republican members of congress will realize: they can get away with it.

They'll get credit for killing Obamacare, for cutting taxes, and whatever: Obamacare was in a "death spiral" anyway.

They know they won't be held accountable.

Averon

I really do not understand why these flips from no to yes from moderates are happening. Any GOP Rep voting yes on this that is from a district that Clinton won or only slightly leans R should not want to touch this bill at all.

What has changed with this bill that the previously failed bill did not have?

Uh, but it's not happened, so what is there to report? We have no CBO rating, no idea of what the final revisions are, etc. All of this is being done as quietly and subtly as possible. As soon as a vote happens, I'm sure all the mainstream news sources will explode.

They should be reporting on the fact that the Republicans are holding a vote on a bill that hasn't been scored by the CBO in an attempt to not let the public know what its in it and what it will do.

sangreal

We can hope. I'm not going to lie, I'm still super nervous about the Senate. Most except it won't go through, but McConnell really seems like he has a much firmer grip on the Senate and I can see it going through potentially since this reconciliation period is so close to have a 'win.'

McConnell will definitely get a bill through the senate , the question is what will it look like

Maledict

I really do not understand why these flips from no to yes from moderates are happening. Any GOP Rep voting yes on this that is from a district that Clinton won or only slightly leans R should not want to touch this bill at all.

Never underestimate the capacity of the republican congress for cowardice and evil.

Also calling it now, McConnell will have a very slightly better bill through the senate with exactly 50 votes. He'll give Snowe and one other the opportunity to have a pointless protest No vote whilst guaranteeing it gets through. Same as Betsy Devos.

3rdman

I just don't really get the flips, it all seemed to happen so suddenly. I guess it's just strong-arming and peer pressure to get a win after a series of loses, but I just don't get why these Reps are so willing to jump on a sword now. But then, I have to remember this is the GOP, even the more moderates, by and large, are basically just trash anyway who all probably want a full repeal with no replacement if the bold truth is known.

In my (likely unnatural) optimism, I think they've convinced the house members to push it through to let it die/change in the senate just so that they can claim they "passed" something. They want a win so badly that they'll take the optics of a victory even if they don't actually have one.

Kusagari

I don't know how the fuck a guy like Curbelo is undecided. He's in a +16 Hillary district.

I think Republican members of congress will realize: they can get away with it.

They'll get credit for killing Obamacare, for cutting taxes, and whatever: Obamacare was in a "death spiral" anyway.

They know they won't be held accountable.

Some can, others can't. We're already seeing special elections coming way closer than they should, and the RNC and SuperPACs pouring way more money into them than they should (I think something like 3 million more got put into the Georgia one), and a lot of that is due to backlash about stuff like this. We've already seen that people are not happy about the state of the insurance stuff, because it directly affects them in more obvious ways. Hell, Obamacare is more popular than ever, and people are really terrified of losing it.

No one is sure. It may not even have changed much, just might be strong-arming and pressure to get a 'win.'

They should be reporting on the fact that the Republicans are holding a vote on a bill that hasn't been scored by the CBO in an attempt to not let the public know what its in it and what it will do.

And they have, one of the second items when you go their front page:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...e-cusp-passing-their-health-care-bill-n754721

All info in there, but the vote hasn't happened yet and there's no CBO rating, so there's nothing else left to report.

I'm actually starting to get nervous about this. My mom and I both get our insurance through the ACA. It's our safety net, but she's getting on in years. Plus I'll lose coverage for my hormones.

All of these are reasons why this is huge news. From "crammed it down our throats" to "we're gonna cram it down your throat" the hypocrisy is insane.

I don't really know. I've never really ever seen a party so intent on causing a wave against them as the GOP right now. This entire process has energized the Democrats like nothing else could.

epmode

How does the House even allow a ridiculously important bill like this to come for a vote without a CBO score? I'm so fucking tired of Republicans ignoring standard procedure to prop up this disaster of an administration.

If a sane party ever grabs power again, some of these traditions and unwritten rules had better be signed into actual law so shit like this can't happen again.

How does the House even allow a ridiculously important bill like this to come for a vote without a CBO score? I'm so fucking tired of Republicans ignoring standard procedure to prop up this disaster of an administration.

If a sane party ever grabs power again, some of these traditions and unwritten rules had better be signed into actual law so shit like this can't happen again.

Because they are a fascist party

Zips

Whatever happens, I hope that eventually when some day the U.S. finally achieves universal healthcare that it is made to commemorate Obama - such as being named after him, a statue of him noting his contribution to making the first big push, or at least if he is still alive when it happens, having him there for the signing to implement it.

If the republicans are motivated by desire to wipe away Obama's achievements, I can think of no better way to counter that than to ultimately laser etch Obama onto American history and the country's ultimate universal healthcare.

Assuming the country doesn't just devolve into a braindead cesspit that the rest of the world simply uses as an economic engine to be used up and discarded once the next economic power usurps it.

Whatever happens, I hope that eventually when some day the U.S. finally achieves universal healthcare that it is made to commemorate Obama - such as being named after him, a statue of him noting his contribution to making the first big push, or at least if he is still alive when it happens, having him there for the signing to implement it.

If the republicans are motivated by desire to wipe away Obama's achievements, I can think of no better way to counter that than to ultimately laser etch Obama onto American history and the country's ultimate universal healthcare.

Assuming the country doesn't just devolve into a braindead cesspit that the rest of the world simply uses as an economic engine to be used up and discarded once the next economic power usurps it.

Making him a Supreme Court Justice

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

But we need.... oh!

Obviously
Better
American
Medical
Act

It's universal healthcare

;)

jmdajr

So who benefits from this besides the rich and those who aren't sick yet?

Juts bringing down the hammer on those who need it the most. Disgusting.

"Loosen the age-band so insurers can charge older folks more"

Just saw this from the CNN article. You're telling me that Trump's base (I'm assuming a lot of them are psychotic old people/baby boomers) are OKAY with spending more? I have sympathy for people this bill will legitimately hurt but part of me wants to see the mind-fuck a lot his supporters will feel when they're bill goes up from 3 to 1 to 5 to 1.

Effect

Please let this be DOA when it comes to the senate. Every piece of human garbage that votes for this needs to blasted with this day in and day out.

Because Republicans only care when it's the other party. Because Republicans are the absolute worst thing about the political spectrum in this country. Because Republicans honestly don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and, for those in office, who ever pays them the most. And their voting block is full of a bunch of idiots who for instance decry the estate tax and say it needs to go away without realizing it's a tax on the value of the estate above I believe $5.6m for 2016, so a tax on the wealthy/super wealthy a place most people in the nation won't find themselves.

Because Republicans only care when it's the other party. Because Republicans are the absolute worst thing about the political spectrum in this country. Because Republicans honestly don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and, for those in office, who ever pays them the most. And their voting block is full of a bunch of idiots who for instance decry the estate tax and say it needs to go away without realizing it's a tax on the value of the estate above I believe $5.6m for 2016, so a tax on the wealthy/super wealthy a place most people in the nation won't find themselves.

But they'll be rich one day, so it will affect them in the future. /s

Foffy

Banned

The only way we get universal anything is if the GOP was exiled to Mars.

Maybe if we say gays, blacks, minorities, and the poor can't live on Mars, they'll fund Mars travel in a weekend. Bonus points if we can convince them Jesus reincarnated on that planet.

The GOP is a threat to humanism and compassion, full stop. They are your local terrorists, ready to make sure things that would empower people -- health care, education, and eventually a minimum income -- are seen as commodities that only the "worthy" rich white have.

This is a ridiculous bill to pass. I can't even imagine voting for it.

The part where the government is exempt for this busllshit is down right disgusting

This needs to be on the news every hour, every minute, every second.

The GOP wants to bring harm to...what? 75 million people!?!?! How is that not news-worthy?

Fucking Hell.

Pbae

My friend's brother had a tumor removed thanks to the ACA and his father still stumps around saying Obamacare was the worse thing to happen to him.

I'm sorry but that dad is fucking irredeemable. This is your child you're talking about and you would still spit on the program that helped better his life? Fuck off.

My dad use to be a Republican in the 90's. Mainly because he's religious and wanted to support a party that approached governance with a strong morale foundation and fiscal conservatism. He admits he wasn't informed since he had to work all day keeping us afloat. But now that he has time to read and be more knowledgeable he believes that the Republican Party is indefensible and regrets his past loyalty.

Why do I get the feeling that they are trying to get all their ducks in a row so that as few of them as possible need to vote for this dumpster fire?

The only way we get universal anything is if the GOP was exiled to Mars.

Maybe if we say gays, blacks, minorities, and the poor can't live on Mars, they'll fund Mars travel in a weekend. Bonus points if we can convince them Jesus reincarnated on that planet.

The GOP is a threat to humanism and compassion, full stop. They are your local terrorists, ready to make sure things that would empower people -- health care, education, and eventually a minimum income -- are seen as commodities that only the "worthy" rich white have.

They don't have to be exiled to another planet, just out of major power for a length amount of time, so...yeah, they'll probably have to be exiled to another planet.

Mahonay

Banned
"Loosen the age-band so insurers can charge older folks more"

Just saw this from the CNN article. You're telling me that Trump's base (I'm assuming a lot of them are psychotic old people/baby boomers) are OKAY with spending more? I have sympathy for people this bill will legitimately hurt but part of me wants to see the mind-fuck a lot his supporters will feel when they're bill goes up from 3 toy 1 to 5 to 1.
The majority of them are voting against their own interests because honestly, they are idiots.

Top Bottom