• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Effect

This is a ridiculous bill to pass. I can't even imagine voting for it.

The part where the government is exempt for this busllshit is down right disgusting

That's the part where one should be able to understand that republicans in congress don't give a fuck about anyone but themselves. When you exempt yourself from something man are saying will be bad that is one of the clearest admission you can make that you know full well what you're doing is wrong and will harm millions of people.

Jeffrey

How does the House even allow a ridiculously important bill like this to come for a vote without a CBO score? I'm so fucking tired of Republicans ignoring standard procedure to prop up this disaster of an administration.

If a sane party ever grabs power again, some of these traditions and unwritten rules had better be signed into actual law so shit like this can't happen again.

Because they simply don't care, but need something to fund their corporate tax cuts. Rip medicaid

Foffy

Banned
They don't have to be exiled to another planet, just out of major power for a length amount of time, so...yeah, they'll probably have to be exiled to another planet.

Yep. Their minds are already poisoned by their thoughts, ideas, ideals, and values, so having any position of power is more likely a threat to any human being under their reign.

It's quite vulgar to assume such inhumanity exists in people, but the ideas people in the GOP adhere to are nothing more than sadistic, egocentric, and sociopathic. They do more harm than the school shooters they whine like children with "thots n prayz" (and do nothing) about.

kaskade

It's amazing that some of these undecideds will vote for this, especially in more moderate districts. The attack ads in the midterms will be brutal and pretty much write themselves. I've seen that some of these reps were even voted in in Clinton winning districts. You'll be tied to cutting funding to special education programs, sexual assault denying coverage, and even being able to exempt themselves from those provisions.

I really don't like the idea of rushing my life away but 2018 needs to hurry up.

Oni Jazar

This needs to be on the news every hour, every minute, every second.

The GOP wants to bring harm to...what? 75 million people!?!?! How is that not news-worthy?

Fucking Hell.

Sadly, we are now in an age where too many Americans don't trust the news anyways (aside from the state sponsored outlets) so the alarming news will be preaching to the choir.

It's really mind blowing when you think of it. The republicans have completely rejected all major honest news outlets and portrayed them as liars. It completely cuts off the gullible people out there from the truth.

Foffy

Banned
I'm sure they will blame democrats when people start losing their coverage.

Look at how Orange Con Man has consistently tried to blame the failing tries previously on the Dems.

Had nothing to do with only 17% of Americans liking it.

Had nothing to do with sociopaths thinking it wasn't harsh enough.

It was the Dems. The party in minority in all forms of government that blew the plan at the knees.

Of course they will, hell, Trump already did it the last times the bill failed. But, if it's one thing that is ultimately been shown through American politics, blaming 'the other side' rarely is a winning tactic to whatever party the President belongs to, even if it's true.

RPGCrazied

I like how they try and frame this. Everyone will have "access" to great coverage. Problem is that "access" costs to much for most Americans.

SummitAve

Banned
I still have some faith in the senate eating this bill for breakfast. Getting it through the house was always going to be the easiest part. I expect many of the details to change.

Sadly, we are now in an age where too many Americans don't trust the news anyways (aside from the state sponsored outlets) so the alarming news will be preaching to the choir.

I expect Fox News to tout this as a big win.
Millions of people losing their insurance overnight? That's freedom right there.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

"Where were the democrats at when we were passing all of this legislation?? Surely not fighting for you."

And their base will eat it up

Millions of people losing insurance overnight? That's freedom right there.

Fox News, in general, actually weren't very high on the bill, at least the first time. Everything was super tepid around it, but they may fall in line now, though. But it goes to show just how unpopular this thing is that they didn't jump head into the first time. Tucker Carlson actually had to say, in a roundabout way, that he didn't hate poor people.

Foffy

Banned
I like how they try and frame this. Everyone will have "access" to great coverage. Problem is that "access" costs to much for most Americans.

Michael Hudson talks about this that words from politicians often mean the opposite of what they claim they mean.

"Access" here really is a codeword to normalize the lack of access. It's no different than "Freedom" being a codeword of commodification and exploitation.

SummitAve

Banned
Millions of people losing their insurance overnight? That's freedom right there.

I don't think Fox News is even stupid enough to think that this bill passing the house means anything more than a moral victory. Nobody is losing anything yet. The process has barely begun on this.

Mahonay

Banned
Guarantee it. Trump will say it first.

"I mean, this is the best we could do, because we couldn't get the Democrats to work with us! We had to get rid of O-BA-MA-care. So disastrous. This is only stage 1 folks. We've got such a tremendous plan in the works. Stage 2 and 3 will be so great. People will be so happy. You'll see. Just go to sleep. It'll be fine."

Swass

I think Republican members of congress will realize: they can get away with it.

They'll get credit for killing Obamacare, for cutting taxes, and whatever: Obamacare was in a "death spiral" anyway.

They know they won't be held accountable.

You shouldn't really be buying the Obamacare "death spiral" nonsense the republicans have been trying to sell to be able to pass this garbage bill. The CBO score from the last bill confirmed this to be false.

Foffy

Banned
You shouldn't really be buying the Obamacare "death spiral" nonsense the republicans have been trying to sell to be able to pass this garbage bill. The CBO score from the last bill confirmed this to be false.

That's facts, information.

If America ran on facts and information, there would likely be no Republicans holding any seat in this country.

The GOP will lie like they usually do.

Mahonay

Banned
I think Republican members of congress will realize: they can get away with it.

They'll get credit for killing Obamacare, for cutting taxes, and whatever: Obamacare was in a "death spiral" anyway.

They know they won't be held accountable.
Lol and why was it in a "death spiral?"...hmmm

Oni Jazar

Anything could happen but unless the republicans get a FLOOD of calls today I would expect the house bill to pass. These people typically don't schedule a vote if they're not sure of the outcome.

After that it goes to the senate which will most likely have to change which means it goes back to the house...etc. The long game is very rough but never underestimate republicans to fuck the american people.

Everyone thinks Mitch wouldn't do it, but he did it for the Supreme Court. He could nuke the filibuster and get this shitty thing passed with 51 votes.

He doesn't need to go nuclear, apparently right now they are still in reconciliation, so they only need 50. No one seems to have a solid date, but apparently it runs until the end of May

DrMungo

Everyone thinks Mitch wouldn't do it, but he did it for the Supreme Court. He could nuke the filibuster and get this shitty thing passed with 51 votes.

While Trump has destroyed political culture, Mitch McConnell has destroyed the actual politics of this country.

He would absolutely nuke the filibuster, he has no morals

1) This is a reconciliation vote, so Republicans only need 51 (or 50+Pence)
2) Mitch would be insane to nuke the filibuster on legislation.

Wilsongt

"Loosen the age-band so insurers can charge older folks more"

Just saw this from the CNN article. You're telling me that Trump's base (I'm assuming a lot of them are psychotic old people/baby boomers) are OKAY with spending more? I have sympathy for people this bill will legitimately hurt but part of me wants to see the mind-fuck a lot his supporters will feel when they're bill goes up from 3 to 1 to 5 to 1.

Trump's base has AARP, Medicare, Social Security, or are under the age of 26.

Or, are just idiots who don't go to the doctor, anyway.

That's facts, information.

If America ran on facts and information, there would likely be no Republicans holding any seat in this country.

The GOP will lie like they usually do.

This is generally true, but look at how the popularity of Obamacare spiked after this all started. People are pretty stupid, but they can be surprisingly attentive whenever something happens that will affect them so directly and immediately.

Kimawolf

We would not have to take it way if the democrats didn't give it you in the first place

Funny you say that... on CNN a few minutes ago some Texas congressman said "Lets not forget, if democrats hadnt bribed the states with Medicade expansion to healthy people, so many people wouldn't lose coverage!"

Scirrocco

Anything could happen but unless the republicans get a FLOOD of calls today I would expect the house bill to pass. These people typically don't schedule a vote if they're not sure of the outcome.

After that it goes to the senate which will most likely have to change which means it goes back to the house...etc. The long game is very rough but never underestimate republicans to fuck the american people.

I tried calling my rep last night. Mailbox is full. Tried again this morning, line was busy all three times. People are calling. I'm just afraid they no longer will even pretend to care what their constituents think.

Swass

Watching MSNBC and Stephanie Rhule is calling them out on everything from trying to pass the bill with no CBO score to projections saying how common illnesses are going to sky rocket. They don't seem to be hearing any of it.. they are full steam ahead and will deal with the consequences later.. the representative being interviewed literally said that.

I tried calling my rep last night. Mailbox is full. Tried again this morning, line was busy all three times. People are calling. I'm just afraid they no longer will even pretend to care what their constituents think.

When the bill first came up, the vast majority of them disconnected their phones. They haven't really cared what their constituents think in a long time. If they did, this bill wouldn't have the votes to pass, it never would be brought up. GOP in purple/competitive areas would be up in arms against it, etc.

Top Bottom