• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Republicans make it sound like Obamacare is this national nightmare everyone wants to kill.

How can they call the former garbage system "the best in the world"?

"I woke up from a bad dream! Someone else had HEALTHCARE... and I.. was helping to pay for it!!"

tuxfool

Banned
joBrLqs.png

This thesis is about to be proved one way or another.

bebop242

I hope everyone that votes for this bill loses in 2018.

I hope everyone that votes for this bill is sentenced to burn in hell for all eternity by the god they so like to claim they pray to.

This. I hope nothing but bad things to happen to anyone who votes yes to this bill.

Beyond ridiculous they exempt themselves too. People should have pitchforks on the street over this.

Eidan

Republicans are exempting members of Congress and their staff from the provisions regarding pre-existing conditions. That's all you really need to know about this piece of shit legislation and the people pushing it.

Thaedolus

Expect to also see more bankruptcies, unless of course they die first...

I mean I'm pro ACA, but this graph is pretty terrible trying to a) narrow the cause down to that one factor and b) starting right before the decline ends eliminating any historical context.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
how many vote does it need to pass, or is it as long as there are more votes in favour wins? Canadian here

There's a Politico article on how well-funded lobbies in the health care industry are actively opposed to the repeal.

With the uncertainty a major health law change would cause, that's not a huge surprise, but Republicans apparently haven't even been engaging the industry, doctors groups, hospitals, etc. in the repeal discussion the way Dems did when they were crafting the ACA originally.

They have isolated themselves and are essentially out on a limb to take down the ACA despite the risks to the American people, the economy, and their political lives.

Ourobolus

Banned
They need 216 votes to pass the bill.

But this is HR 308, which isn't the healthcare bill correct? I thought that was HR 1628?

e_i

There's a Politico article on how well-funded lobbies in the health care industry and are actively opposed to the repeal.

With the uncertainty a major health law change would cause, that's not a huge surprise, but Republicans apparently haven't even been engaging the industry, doctors groups, hospitals, etc. in the repeal discussion the way Dems did when they were crafting the ACA originally.

They have isolated themselves and are essentially out on a limb to take down the ACA despite the risks to the American people, the economy, and their political lives.

It's all about dealing a blow to Obama, nothing else.

There's a Politico article on how well-funded lobbies in the health care industry are actively opposed to the repeal.

So, it's a Friday, is what you're saying

zou

I mean I'm pro ACA, but this graph is pretty terrible trying to a) narrow the cause down to that one factor and b) starting right before the decline ends eliminating any historical context.

lol, what else would it be. Republicans made sure it's even harder to file for bankruptcy, requiring Chapter 13 filing for debt that previously could have been cleared under Chapter 11. And medical debt is the leading course of bankruptcy, with an estimated 25-30% of all filings.

This chart also correlates with the earlier one:

Top Bottom